Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1224441475418615808

WHERE CAN I WATCH THIS?

http://www.c-span.org/
The nonprofit political channel and our forum's namesake. The civic pride of its hosts and randomly chosen callers give it a town hall feel.

https://www.livenewsmag.com/cnn-live-streaming/
CNN is the recommended cable news, both because of the coverage quality and because they're likely to have more salt than MSNBC or Fox if Bernie starts winning. Streams to other cable news are linked at the bottom of that page.

OFFICIAL RESULTS

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/elections/results/primaries/democratic/iowa/

SCHEDULE

Caucusing will begin at 8pm EST (7pm CST in Iowa) and end usually within an hour. Results will be reported throughout the night.

CANDIDATES

Bernard "Bernie" Sanders :bernget20:
Quote: "Let justice roll on like a river; righteousness, like a never-failing stream."

Joseph Robinette "Joe" Biden, Jr. :cloud:
Quote: “CornPop was a bad dude and he ran a bunch of bad boys."

Elizabeth Ann Warren :engleft:
Quote: "Dementors or big bank CEOs, I'm ready to take 'em on — let's do this!"

Peter Paul Montgomery "Pete" Buttigieg :gifttank:
Quote: “It’s an embarrassing thing to admit, the people who wrote the Constitution did not understand that slavery was a bad thing."

Amy Jean Klobuchar :abuela:
Quote: "I would prefer a public option that would be a competitive option that would allow people to buy into a Federal Employee Health Benefits Program, which is a series of private plans."

Andrew Yang :roboluv:
Quote: "You know, it's been a point of confusion because I don't look much like a white nationalist."

Thomas Fahr "Tom" Steyer :regd09:
Quote: "I just want to say hi, Joe Biden, yeah, good. OK."

Tulsi Gabbard :fireman:
Quote: "To maintain order after Assad's fall would require at least 500,000 troops in a never-ending occupation."

Michael Rubens "Mike" Bloomberg :capitalism:
Quote: "I'm not going to run for president. No way, no how."

DELEGATE PROCESS

This is a closed primary, meaning that all participants must be members of the Democratic party. However, you can register or switch registration at the caucus site with no ID necessary.

You can read the full details of the caucus process here, but I wouldn't recommend it. What you need to know is that the caucus is a two-round process where people express their candidate preference by standing in certain areas. If a candidate falls below a viability threshold in the first round, that candidate's voters will then be forced to join one of the other candidates (whose supporters are shouting to entice them) or leave.

The threshold rule has the effect of amplifying leading candidates and pruning trailing candidates. A candidates with less 10% support would be likely to get only 1% of delegates, and a candidate with 30% support could end up getting 60% or more of delegates. This is intended to help narrow the field, and is likely to give boosts to Bernie and Biden.

Iowa has a very stupid and complicated system of delegate allocation that's basically their own state electoral college. This means that it's possible for two different candidates to "win," one getting Iowa's popular vote, and the other actually receiving the most state delegates (or State Delegate Equivalents since the delegates technically aren't chosen until the convention in June). This could result in a media narrative where two different candidates say they won, and the popular vote candidate saying the process is rigged, which it is, but by design.

Jewel Repetition has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
trump

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

poo poo, could someone edit the title to be "FEB 3" instead of "FED 3"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie could run away with it. I really think his team is taking it serious enough to win some surging momentum right out of the gate. If he can make Biden look weak, that's a huge plus as well.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hoping all our Iowa goons show up

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
in this thread before the iowa dems take sanders off the ballot for nebulous reasons

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
or however the gently caress it works

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I am going to be extremely shocked if Bernie doesn’t pull out IA and NH

I know nothing about NV

if he’s close in SC to Biden then :eyepop:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thank you for changing the title but it's not Feb 4, it's Feb 3, tomorrow, and the time is 8pm EST, not 9pm :doh:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

welcome to hell

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
date of caucus is incorrect in title, please probe OP for attempted voter suppression

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

caucuses are garbage and should be abolished

that said, BERNIE

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm still pulling for you, Cory Booker

cnut
May 3, 2016

lmao

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

whatis posted:

date of caucus is incorrect in title, please probe OP for attempted voter suppression

:gonk:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Cocks out for Caucus

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
folks, I'm so loving Horned Up for this one that I can't stop my whole body from vibrating with pre-schadenfreude

https://twitter.com/tomwatson/status/1224005408953708551?s=1

"It's Afraid..."

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

folks, I'm so loving Horned Up for this one that I can't stop my whole body from vibrating with pre-schadenfreude

https://twitter.com/tomwatson/status/1224005408953708551?s=1

"It's Afraid..."

lol this goober was posting last night about how the "back channel" was getting hyped up because warren had surged up the poll ranks and bernie was in a freefall. i wonder why the sudden change in tone :thunk:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bernie Sanders

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Bernie Sanders

cnut
May 3, 2016

triple sulk posted:

Bernie Sanders

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

Bernie Sanders

you can say that again

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

All of the quotes are real btw.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

taco_fox posted:

caucuses are garbage and should be abolished

that said, BERNIE

Yeah, caucuses are undemocratic as gently caress. They discriminate against people with health issues who can't stand in some packed gym for hours. Everyone should get a ballot in the mail and have like a month to mail it back or drop it off at their convenience.

HOWEVER, it was fun as hell standing in a packed gym and outnumbering the Hillary people three to one and I'm kind of bummed CO switched from caucuses to a primary.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Bernie then bust

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yeah, caucuses are undemocratic as gently caress. They discriminate against people with health issues who can't stand in some packed gym for hours. Everyone should get a ballot in the mail and have like a month to mail it back or drop it off at their convenience.

HOWEVER, it was fun as hell standing in a packed gym and outnumbering the Hillary people three to one and I'm kind of bummed CO switched from caucuses to a primary.

In the ideal world every state would have a party-financed regular primary, and then a caucus that they do just for fun

cnut
May 3, 2016

Magissima posted:

Bernie then bust

:hmmyes:

:gizz:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Bernie Sanders.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I'm pretty sure it is on Jeb 3rd.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The exit polls from the caucuses are in and we can now predict a clear winner

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

Thank you for changing the title but it's not Feb 4, it's Feb 3, tomorrow, and the time is 8pm EST, not 9pm :doh:

election interference!!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Washington caucuses included mail in ballots for those who said they couldn't attend, they just didn't get a choice in delegates to the next level. It's a solvable problem.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

literally sick with worry and stress already and we still have like 30 hours until we have results lmao

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Voting? No that’s to easy, let’s drag everyone out to a smelly gym on a school night and shove them into corners. Hey the guy in the John Delaney section has some room to stretch I’m gonna go over there.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

triple sulk posted:

Bernie Sanders

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
if bernie doesnt win america deserves death and will get it

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Don't think bloomberg's even on the ballot is he?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Missingnoleader posted:

Don't think bloomberg's even on the ballot is he?

He is not, I was just listing all the most prominent candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

We are all gonna drink ourselves to death