Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? Any and all spoilers for the game are allowed. :siren:

Breath of the Wild is the nineteenth and currently latest major addition to the Zelda franchise. Released worldwide on March 3, 2017, it was a massive project that took the series in a whole new direction. With a wide open sandbox, fully voiced cutscenes, a wide variety of weapons to use like clubs and spears, and even the option to skill all dungeons and go straight for the final boss, it is a Zelda title unlike any other. It was released on both the Wii U and the Switch on the same day, being the last first-party title published for the former system and a launch title for the latter. This being an obvious parallel to Twilight Princess with its releases on the GameCube and Wii. The game takes place a full century after the collapse of Hyrule, the entire kingdom almost being entirely destroyed by Calamity Ganon. Link awakens in an odd shrine, stirred by a mysterious voice and void of all memory. He soon learns of the fate of Hyrule and what he must do, setting out to save the once-flourishing kingdom from the continued threat of Calamity Ganon. The game is an absolute marvel and what I consider a much-needed breath of the fresh air for the series. Some changes I'm iffy on, such as there not being very many fully fledged dungeons, with a massive amount of Shrines making up for the small number. Still, overall I consider the game to be a near masterpiece and a beloved addition to the franchise.

Now, as we all know, Breath of the Wild is an absolutely massive game with a great deal of things to do and collectibles to obtain. This will not be a 100% playthrough, and a list of what I will and will not be collecting, as well as my progress made, can be found in the next post. It is also worth noting that because of how long this game is, I have to try and cut down on how many videos the playthrough will be. That being said, don't expect any videos in this series to be under forty-five minutes in length. This will also not be a live playthrough, with the gameplay recorded well ahead of my commentary.

At Least They Gave Link Pants Before He Went to Sleep...:
Part 1 - Link's Awakening
Part 2 - King Rhoam
Part 3 - Dueling Peaks
Part 4 - Impa's Tale
Part 5 - Hateno Ancient Tech Lab
Part 6 - Subdued Ceremony
Part 7 - Meeting Prince Sidon
Part 8 - Zora's Domain
Part 9 - Mipha's Touch
Part 10 - Robbie
Part 11 - Shrine Hunting
Part 12 - Stalnox Battle
Part 13 - Resolve and Grief
Part 14 - Great Fairy Kaysa
Part 15 - Demon Camel
Part 16 - Thunder Magnet
Part 17 - The Master Sword
Part 18 - Trial of the Sword - The Beginning Trials
Part 19 - Divine Beast Vah Ruta
Part 20 - The Korok Trials
Part 21 - Gerudo Town
Part 22 - Yiga Clan Hideout
Part 23 - Divine Beast Vah Naboris
Part 24 - Link vs. Molduga
Part 25 - Rito Village
Part 26 - Divine Beast Vah Medoh
Part 27 - The Stolen Heirloom
Part 28 - Malanya
Part 29 - Hylian Homeowner
Part 30 - Zora Stone Monuments
Part 31 - Mija and Naydra
Part 32 - Dragon Hunting
Part 33 - To Goron City
Part 34 - Yunobo
Part 35 - Divine Beast Vah Rudania
Part 36 - The Champions' Ballad I

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Checklist:

As of Episode 35:

13/20 Main Quests complete (DLC included)
54/90 Side Quests complete (DLC included)
18/42 Shrine Quests complete
7/18 Memories recovered
0/5 EX Memories recovered (The Champions' Ballad DLC)
14/15 Sheikah Towers activated
68/124 Spirit Orbs obtained (DLC Included)
0/12 Emblems Obtained (The Champions’ Ballad DLC)
3/3 Master Sword upgraded activated
4/5 Great Fairies discovered
4/5 Divine Beasts reactivated (DLC Included)

What I will NOT be doing

Discovering each and every location on the map
Obtaining all Korok Seeds
Opening all weapon slots
Completing the Hyrule Compendium
Finding and fully upgrading all pieces of armor

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 24, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nice chill intro.
I was :aaa: at the intro shrine monks' doing the triforce symbol, somehow I missed that despite doing the intro three times now. Also I never really thought deeply about how this game fits (or not) in the timelines beyond assuming it must be a late one, some of that is just weird.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nice chill intro.
I was :aaa: at the intro shrine monks' doing the triforce symbol, somehow I missed that despite doing the intro three times now. Also I never really thought deeply about how this game fits (or not) in the timelines beyond assuming it must be a late one, some of that is just weird.
Not sure what you mean by that, but thanks.
I guess if I showed at least one person about that little tidbit that's always good. And yeah, I'm a bit of a lore nut and think a bit too deeply into certain parts of the franchise sometimes. I'll probably point out other timeline stuff as the game goes on, but I'll try not to rant and rave about it too often.

Part 2 - King Rhoam

The tutorial is officially done. Had a bit of an accidental errand to run because I somehow completely forgot where the entrance to Mount Hylia was, but at least I got a Korok Seed out of it. Even though I won't collect them all, each one is still nice to get my hands on. I really love the inclusion of the Runes both in the abilities they give and how the game grants us all the items we need to explore the world. Granted you're skilled enough to survive the more challenging parts of it, of course. That is one slight problem. Sure, you can go anywhere, but good luck fending off some of the more high tier enemies with Boko Clubs and wearing Hylian Trousers. If I recall right, if you head directly south of The Great Plateau, you'll run into a Lynel. Doesn't matter how good at the game you are, you'll never get it to zero health with the items from this early in the game. Unless you want to spend an hour bombing it to death, I suppose. So the game is a wide open world, but it's near suicide to go to about 80% of the map right from the start unless you know exactly where to find some cache of weapons or armor or something. Kind of defeats the purpose of "You can go ANYWHERE right from the tutorial level!" doesn't it? I also love how technologically backwards Hyrule is. Giant robots that can shoot laser beams and other such things, but they can't produce anything requiring a signal like an actual phone or even a radio or something.

In any case, as I said in the video I'll be following the main story path for a while, occasionally wandering off to do a Shrine or something. About the time I can enter Vah Ruta, I'll go scrounging for Spirit Orbs so I can get my hands on the Master Sword.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - Dueling Peaks

Not too much to say here, since no real story progression was made. Simply me making my way from The Great Plateau to the Dueling Peaks Stable. At the very least I got to make some Shrine progress, with three more Spirit Orbs under my belt. Quite a bit of luck to have a shooting star happen within just a few seconds of leaving The Great Plateau, I gotta say. Shame it was so far away, though, and took me so long to get to. Still, it was a nice treat. Also the Moblin designs really are unfortunate in this game. Why can't they just look like they did in Ocarina of Time? That's when they were at their best in terms of 3D Zelda games, in my opinion. In any case, next time I'll start making more concrete progress by actually reaching Kakariko Village and speaking with Impa.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just watched the first installment! It's gonna take me a little while to get caught up, but rewatching the intro, I just could not get a slight, deliberate misspelling of Link's name out of my head.

"...Lunk!
...Lunk!
Open your eyes!
Wake up, Lunk!"

So yeah. I'm not sorry. :v:

Also, re 'Ubisoft Towers' - In Ubisoft games, they put all the map markers for points of interest, side quests, etc. on your map as soon as you activate a tower, which is what people were complaining about. In BotW, you just get the map.

Also: I didn't realize Hylia was first introduced in Skyward Sword. I thought she dated from earlier, but go figure...

Also, re Link's bombs: bomb explosion = blue shell explosion :allears:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Quackles posted:

Just watched the first installment! It's gonna take me a little while to get caught up, but rewatching the intro, I just could not get a slight, deliberate misspelling of Link's name out of my head.

"...Lunk!
...Lunk!
Open your eyes!
Wake up, Lunk!"

So yeah. I'm not sorry. :v:

Also, re 'Ubisoft Towers' - In Ubisoft games, they put all the map markers for points of interest, side quests, etc. on your map as soon as you activate a tower, which is what people were complaining about. In BotW, you just get the map.

Also: I didn't realize Hylia was first introduced in Skyward Sword. I thought she dated from earlier, but go figure...

Also, re Link's bombs: bomb explosion = blue shell explosion :allears:
I have no idea how you managed to see Lunk out of that. Sounds like his dimwitted brother or something.

What kind of towers are these in Ubisoft games? Like radio towers or something? And frankly I'd love if all the Korok Seed locations were marked on your map...

Yeah, she was only introduced about two games ago and she's already replaced the Golden Goddesses somehow. I mean there was also Lake Hylia, but sometimes the Hylians were referred to as the the "Hylia" in the older games, so I assume that's all it was referencing to. I'd be drat surprised if Hylia was thought of from day one.

poo poo, I never even noticed how similar the explosion effects were. Now I'll never unsee it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ubisoft Towers- I think these were first used in the Assassin’s Creed games. You climb a tower and look around, more of the map is revealed to you including nearby collectible and sub quests. Many other games copied the mechanic. And considering they’re used in Crusades Arabian Peninsula and Renaissance Italy, they’re not radio towers. Just standard high point towers. Your character and their super senses fill in the map while enjoying the view.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 8, 2020

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Ubisoft Towers- I think these were first used in the Assassin’s Creed games. You climb a tower and look around, more of the map is revealed to you including nearby collectible and sub quests. Many other games copied the mechanic. And considering they’re used in Crusades Arabian Peninsula and Renaissance Italy, they’re not radio towers. Just standard high point towers. Your character and their super senses fill in the map while enjoying the view.
Ah, alright. Honestly, as I said, I wouldn't mind if certain collectibles got revealed on the map after activating the towers...

Part 4 - Impa's Tale

Finally arrived in Kakariko Village. I really like how we finally get to see a thriving community of Sheikah in the series, especially since Impa and Impaz have been the only members of the race seen in the entire series before this game. The Japanese aesthetic is pretty cool too, giving the tribe a unique flare to them compared to the other races in Hyrule. Impa is about the same as she normally is, a passive character that gives important information. Though given she's a century old, I'll let it slide just this one time. It still boggles my mind that Hyrule is at a bare minimum 10,000 years old, at least in the confusing continuity of this game. To put that into perspective, roughly 10,000 years ago, we were in the Stone Age. And to think, these fuckers still don't even have television. What a backwards society they have. I am pretty interested in the history if Calamity Ganon specifically, by that I mean when he went from just Ganon to what's essentially talked about as an evil force of nature. Aside from that, the only thing worth mentioning are the Great Fairies which are once more somewhat creepy. I admit I find the running gags with them throughout the series amusing and it's notable that Wind Waker really breaks the mold there...though the The Queen of the Fairies can be somewhat creepy. In this game, they serve as a clever way to upgrade gear, though I'm not too fond of them demanding Rupees to be freed. I mean sure this one is right near a settlement and is super easy to find, but some are in remote and difficult to reach places, and requires a whopping 10,000 Rupees to unlock, which is just loving ridiculous. Guess I better polish up on my bowling skills...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Caught up with the second video.

I can confirm that Stal enemies can appear on rocky areas (such as Gerudo), and I was under the impression that probably snowy areas too...
I actually liked them better than regular enemies, because if you headshot them, they die instantly. Once I left the Great Plateau, I ignored what the king said and buggered off to Gerudo Canyon/Highlands, and so I had to survive for a while without being very strong, so I got good with a bow. KOing skeletons was my only source of weapons for a while.

(I also hadn't learned how to start fires, and didn't know where any cooking pots were, at the time, so.)

Also: Adding an acorn to other dishes will increase their heart yield.

Also: I didn't actually get the Warm Doublet the normal way... because I couldn't figure out how to catch fish. (I thought Link would find a rod at some place).
So I trekked up to the top of Mt. Hylia, restoring my health regularly, but then... the Old Man is up there if you get there without the Warm Doublet, to give it to you. So I decided I'd talk to him after doing the shrine. But once you do that, he leaves, and I didn't figure out I could get it from him until after he had vanished from the Plateau.

So at this point I stopped the game and googled how to get another Warm Doublet - apparently it appears in a chest in his house after he vanishes, a place which I had not thought to check.

Also: "...a Link that has a big, defined personality."
ANIME Link? :3:

Also: I honestly love the BotW voice acting.

Also: Link's concept-art dad looks like Alfonzo from Spirit Tracks.

Molten take: Just like Mario in every game is the same Mario, Link in every game is the same Link.
To accomplish this, Link is clearly a Time Lord.

Also: The game is more likely to display the 'cook some #$#%' tip on the loading screen if you've just been beaten up.

Also: It's good that you're not doing the korok seeds. The main game took me 100-150 hours. The Korok Seeds, we-ll...

Re shrines and "Items you can get elsewhere" - one of the shrines in or around the Dueling Peaks has the Climber's Bandana in a chest. You might want that!

Re "I don't believe in ghosts" - do you believe in goats?
Though, for the ghost hunter shows things, I'm told a ghost hunting show where the team had a home inspector in it would be pretty funny.

Wait, there's a CHEST with HYLIAN TROUSERS on the GREAT PLATEAU?! I had to BUY those!! :stonk:

Good way to get rupees without playing Snowling: cook elixirs and high-end dishes and sell them! If you're careful about where/what you sell you can make bank.

Also, Urbosa is my favorite Champion. She's so cool...

Anyway, this is coming along nicely!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Quackles posted:

Caught up with the second video.

I can confirm that Stal enemies can appear on rocky areas (such as Gerudo), and I was under the impression that probably snowy areas too...
I actually liked them better than regular enemies, because if you headshot them, they die instantly. Once I left the Great Plateau, I ignored what the king said and buggered off to Gerudo Canyon/Highlands, and so I had to survive for a while without being very strong, so I got good with a bow. KOing skeletons was my only source of weapons for a while.

(I also hadn't learned how to start fires, and didn't know where any cooking pots were, at the time, so.)

Also: Adding an acorn to other dishes will increase their heart yield.

Also: I didn't actually get the Warm Doublet the normal way... because I couldn't figure out how to catch fish. (I thought Link would find a rod at some place).
So I trekked up to the top of Mt. Hylia, restoring my health regularly, but then... the Old Man is up there if you get there without the Warm Doublet, to give it to you. So I decided I'd talk to him after doing the shrine. But once you do that, he leaves, and I didn't figure out I could get it from him until after he had vanished from the Plateau.

So at this point I stopped the game and googled how to get another Warm Doublet - apparently it appears in a chest in his house after he vanishes, a place which I had not thought to check.

Also: "...a Link that has a big, defined personality."
ANIME Link? :3:

Also: I honestly love the BotW voice acting.

Also: Link's concept-art dad looks like Alfonzo from Spirit Tracks.

Molten take: Just like Mario in every game is the same Mario, Link in every game is the same Link.
To accomplish this, Link is clearly a Time Lord.

Re shrines and "Items you can get elsewhere" - one of the shrines in or around the Dueling Peaks has the Climber's Bandana in a chest. You might want that!

Re "I don't believe in ghosts" - do you believe in goats?
Though, for the ghost hunter shows things, I'm told a ghost hunting show where the team had a home inspector in it would be pretty funny.

Wait, there's a CHEST with HYLIAN TROUSERS on the GREAT PLATEAU?! I had to BUY those!! :stonk:

Good way to get rupees without playing Snowling: cook elixirs and high-end dishes and sell them! If you're careful about where/what you sell you can make bank.

Also, Urbosa is my favorite Champion. She's so cool...

Anyway, this is coming along nicely!
Yeah, sometimes the Stal enemies seem to just pop up wherever, like sometimes even in grassy areas I don't see them at night. Though I have a feeling they won't spawn to close to enemy camps or other areas like ones with a lot of Guardians around. Even if they're not absolutely everywhere, they're still a pain in the rear end. I usually just ignore them, or use a double bomb combo to kill them. Nice way to save on arrows. I think the Gerudo area is supposed to be the hardest in the game save for Hyrule Castle. I know in general that the western part of Hyrule has a higher difficulty than the east, so it makes sense.

Didn't know that about acorns, but I think at this point they're low tier compared to what I can find around now. Not to mention that with my heart count still so low, anything that can heal more than about five hearts is a complete waste of ingredients.

A real man just dives right in and catches those slippery fuckers with his bare hands. I remember doing it the hard way the first time too because I couldn't figure out the ingredients and didn't want to look it up and risk seeing any spoilers. I didn't think to check his shack either, so I just had to buy it.

The less I think about DIC Link, the better I sleep at night.

I don't mind the voices either, but I know a lot of people really don't like it.

I thought he looked like Alfonzo too. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't intentional. Same with Link's sister holding a Cucco, probably a Linkle reference.

Well, technically all Links except the Toon Links have the Spirit of the Hero and there's sort of a reincarnation thing going on with most of them so...you're not entirely wrong.

And poo poo, I entirely forgot about the Climber's Bandana. In fact, it's in a Shrine I've already done, so I gotta go back and get it in a future video. I could've sworn that only chests that were right in front of the Shiekah Monk had unique items. Though, granted, you can just buy it from the Rare Armor Shop so technically I'm still not 100% wrong. Granted, unlocking that shop requires completing a long-rear end sidequest, so I'll just go back and get the item the faster way.

Goats are too creepy to be real.

I totally forgot about that chest too. Lucky me for stumbling across it.

I'll have to look into that then, see what dishes would be best for that method. Thankfully I'm not desperate for Rupees at the moment, so I'll be fine for a while.

A lot of people really like Urbosa, but I just don't get it. Aside from her powers, nothing is really interesting about her. I have a pretty distinct feeling on why a lot of folks like her, but I'll bite my tongue on that one.

Glad you're enjoying it so far, and thanks for the big comment, I so rarely get ones like these.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Hateno Ancient Tech Lab

Gotta say, I like Hateno Village, a nice cozy little peaceful place tucked away from Hyrule Castle and the Malice and Guardians surrounding it. Granted, I spend most of the episode not even in the main part of the village, opting to climb a tower and deal with the lab along with hitting the beach, but still. Purah is a funny little character that I wish got a bit more screentime. An extremely old woman trapped in a child's body and is mildly sensitive about it is drat amusing. That and her side comments about if what she said was befitting with her new age is also great. Also love how she literally discovered a way to reverse aging with no known ill side effects but doesn't really act like it was as much of a breakthrough as it truly is. I looked into it, and according to the Creating A Champion book, a couple of her earlier designs were based off of the magical girl archetype, which certainly explains her posing in the actual game. Also I was right, that thing on her forehead is indeed a pair of goggles. You can see some of this stuff here if you want. Sadly no art of her as a magical girl, as funny as that sounds. Unless the "punk rock girl" is supposed to be one? Well anyway, aside from updating some Runes, Purah's part in the game is sadly at an end for the most part. For now, she's helped to advance the amnesia part of the main quest, which I will continue in the next video.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Subdued Ceremony

Quite a hectic episode this time around. Spend some time getting a few minor sidequests done, but it was all downhill from there. Getting Majora's Mask was good, and it'll help me out a lot later on I'm sure. Hopefully no angry celestial bodies come careening towards Hyrule anytime soon. I was surprised how easy it was to get right up to Hyrule Castle, with no Guardians noticing me until I was practically there. I remember Hyrule Field being a lot more clotted with the fuckers. In any case, while I somehow managed to go the wrong way because I'm really stupid, I at least got some great gear from me being lost. At least, great gear for this early in the game. Got my first memory and the Champion's Tunic, though the latter won't really be of much use until I can get dragon materials, but oh well. We haven't gotten to see much of how Zelda really feels yet, but man did I not like her at all at first. Thankfully the later memories changed my mind.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Watched the third video, and in the middle of the fourth. Congrats on your first Flurry Rush!

Yeah, I forgot to mention last time that mining also is a good way to make bank. I marked high-quality gem deposits on my map when I found them...

I think Amiibos retail for $13-16 each? But it's more where I live :(

Xenoblade Chronicles is the guy in smash who says, "I'm really feelin' it!" with an australian accent.

Iwata died too soon. When you get to the credits, take a look towards the end.

Re places of safety in Hyrule: I joke that BotW is Post Post Apocalyptic, seeing as the world ended, and now people are rebuilding.
It'll help once the Blood Moon thing dissipates.

Fun fact about Link's HP: If Link is at full HP and takes a very strong hit, he'll survive with 1/4 of a heart.
Guardians ignore this.

The Silver Lynels with the clubs are still a pain, though. The club is a lot harder to dodge because of the shockwave.

"What animal was that?" [that they were eating]
Horse. Bet you anything.

"Sidetracked" - this is Sidetracked: The Game. Don't feel bad about it!

I love the 'tower activation' soundtrack. It's so... triumphant.

Fairies - you don't actually cook them. They just sprinkle fairy dust into the dish and fly away.

re Shrine Time: Shrine Time! Shrine Time! Shrine Time!

You absolutely can use Cryonis on Bottomless Bogs.

Horses: You can also bring a BEAR to the stable and make everyone panic. But you can't stable one, sadly.

Beamos: When I first ran into a Decayed Guardian, on the Great Plateau, I thought - "Oh hey, it's a beamos! I can run past it, but if worst comes to worst, I can probably take one shot."
I could not take one shot.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Man I'd love to play Botw and I even have an Wii U I've barely used but the prices for Zelda games are something else.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Quackles posted:

Watched the third video, and in the middle of the fourth. Congrats on your first Flurry Rush!

I think Amiibos retail for $13-16 each? But it's more where I live :(

Xenoblade Chronicles is the guy in smash who says, "I'm really feelin' it!" with an australian accent.

Iwata died too soon. When you get to the credits, take a look towards the end.

Re places of safety in Hyrule: I joke that BotW is Post Post Apocalyptic, seeing as the world ended, and now people are rebuilding.
It'll help once the Blood Moon thing dissipates.

Fun fact about Link's HP: If Link is at full HP and takes a very strong hit, he'll survive with 1/4 of a heart.
Guardians ignore this.

The Silver Lynels with the clubs are still a pain, though. The club is a lot harder to dodge because of the shockwave.

"What animal was that?" [that they were eating]
Horse. Bet you anything.

Fairies - you don't actually cook them. They just sprinkle fairy dust into the dish and fly away.

re Shrine Time: Shrine Time! Shrine Time! Shrine Time!

You absolutely can use Cryonis on Bottomless Bogs.

Horses: You can also bring a BEAR to the stable and make everyone panic. But you can't stable one, sadly.
Thank you, only took me forever to be able to pull it off again.

I looked on Nintendo's site and a lot of the ones I looked at were no longer for sale. I think it was a limited release or something. On Amazon the prices ranged from what you said to twenty or thirty dollars each. I dunno if I wanna spend all that just for some extra little goodies...

I know what Xenoblade is, I just don't know enough about it to understand the connection to that one sidequest to the series.

I know about Iwata being in the credits too, despite forgetting a poo poo-ton of stuff, I've played through this game before.

Hyrule is doing a lot better than Fallout, that's for sure. 200 years later like in Fallout 4 and there's still trash all over the place and people still don't know how to really build proper houses outside of the main character.

Just another reasons why Guardians are so terrifying, I suppose.

Thankfully I have a long way to go before Silver Lynels will even appear.

Apparently they eat their own horses when they're done with them. Poor little horses...

Never actually tried cooking Fairies, but that's good to know. Actually cooking them would've been pretty hosed up...

SHRINE TIME. SHRINE TIME. SHRINE TIME.

Another thing I completely forgot, thanks for that tip.

You can also try and bring The Lord of the Mountain in, and it'll terrify everyone.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

By the way, as I posted here, I'm looking for at least part-time co-commentators. Like the post says, I have a very strict schedule unfortunately, so it wouldn't be a deal where you'd have to be available for every recording, so we could do videos whenever we'd both have the time. More than one person is welcome, just whenever people may have the time to do such a thing, especially with how long these videos can be.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Meeting Prince Sidon

Not too much to say here. Nothing story related really happened until the last few minutes. Got four Shrines done, though, which is pretty nice. The first and last ones weren't too bad, but the two in the middle were a pain in the rear end for various reasons. Hinox battles are always fun for me, large lumbering foes to take down and they even have free weapons hanging from their necks. I just kind of forgot to go for them this time. This Talus encounter went a lot better than the first one, that's for certain. I can appreciate a miniboss that drops precious gems and jewels for me to collect. I even managed to do decently against a Guardian, which made me kind of happy. Finally met Sidon, who I find really great. He's easily the best Zora in the series, not that he really has much competition...but still. The guy is just so wholesome and kind that I can't help but love him.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 8 - Zora's Domain

I remember having some troubles getting through this part of the game during my first playthrough. Even with my skills being rusty, I'm sure it would've been fine this time around if I had done it the normal way. Still, I'm glad I opted to cheese it and use Majora's Mask to pacify the enemies. Still kind of puts me on edge how they'll walk right up to Link and get in his face without actually doing anything. Freaky poo poo. Really love how Zora's Domain looks in this game with the way the structures are and the shining crystal-looking stuff around the area. As I mentioned in the video, it really reminds me of elves. Here I come across one of my big gripes in this game which is how the Divine Beasts are handled. Like I said in the video, I barely ever felt any urgency with them. Vah Ruta really felt like the only one that was dangerous at all. Medoh and Naboris of them would only attack people when they purposefully got near while Rudania had its attacks mostly defended against by the Gorons. Didn't really give me any intensive that I had to take care of them soon or else something awful would happen. I know it's kind of a thing in open world games like this where these big disasters seem to always be in a state of "Just about to happen" so the player can explore freely, but most the Divine Beasts barely even feel like a threat at all and seem kind of underwhelming to me.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 9 - Mipha's Touch

We get to see Mipha a bit more this time around, and even a demonstration of her powers. As I said in the video, I don't think much of her. She's very blatantly a reimagining/reference to Ruto, but less forward and such. In a way that's good, but not really interesting enough for me to care. I do like the ongoing gag, if you could even call it that, where Zora Princesses use items aside from a typical ring to try and get Link to marry them. That aside, I break away from the story here. After a decent Lynel fight, I simply start to wander, and will do so for a number of videos as I activate Sheikah Towers and complete Shrines, completing the odd sidequest or two. I haven't reached the point in my recording where I get the Master Sword yet, so I have no idea how long it'll last.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 10 - Robbie

He's hip. He's cool. He even has a rock theme. He Robbie. Yeah, unlike with Purah, Robbie isn't really relevant to the main story at all, at least compared to the de-aged Sheikah. Really, I don't see myself going back to see him at all. The ancient weapons degrade like any other, so it doesn't feel like it's worth getting the materials and Rupees necessary to get them. The Ancient Armor is mostly good for hunting Guardians, but really the Barbarian Armor set and the Master Sword have always worked well enough for me where I never needed the Ancient Armor. And there probably won't be much for me to talk about for the next couple of updates, as all I'm doing is just going around looking for Shrines and activating the occasional Sheikah Tower. Not exactly a lot to discuss there, I'm afraid.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - Shrine Hunting

There really isn't too much to say here, as I mentioned in my last post. Mostly just me looking for Shrines and the like. Though I am now doubly bummed there are no Kokiri in the game. I also do wish the game made the enemies seem like more of a threat aside from just attacking travelers every so often. Those Bokoblins were RIGHT NEAR that Stable and nothing was stopping them from attacking. I guess they just didn't feel like it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 12 - Stalnox Battle

I have to say, I really enjoy the way minibosses work in this game. They're all in set locations on the map that you can go back to after each Blood Moon for a rematch. If you ever feel like fighting a Hinox, you can to a number of different places to get that fill, for instance. I kind of wish there were one or two more, though. With such a big map and in such a large game, it's shame that there's really only about half a dozen if you include Lynels. And that number is being generous with considering the Stalnox and the Igneo and Frost Taluses as entirely separate. Maybe there'll be a bit more variety in Breath of the Wild 2. Still, each type of miniboss is a treat on their own which I like.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I like repeating mini bosses too, usually. Hope the trope doesn’t become over used by open world games though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 13 - Resolve and Grief

I finally activate the Central Hyrule Tower, which was a lot easier than I recall it being. Could've sworn a Stalker Guardian was a lot closer to the Tower, but I guess not. It feels nice to also finally complete the entire Phantom Armor set, especially with how powerful it is for this part of the game. I also unlocked another memory, but it isn't too noteworthy. Really all it shows is how Zelda still doesn't really like Link at all, referring to him as "Hero" rather than by name. That, and apparently Link is sure of himself enough to not bother with a shield.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 14 - Great Fairy Kaysa

After taking nearly a year off due to various personal reasons, I'm sort of back in the swing of things. I'll spare repeating all I said in the video, and can only hope by some miracle I can get this playthrough done before Breath of the Wild 2 comes out. One can hope. In any case, sadly not much to report in the video, mainly some shrines, a tower, and a new Great Fairy. I have to appreciate Nintendo's unusual dedication to making the Great Fairies rather creepy starting with Ocarina of Time. An odd but always amusing running joke for the franchise.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 15 - Demon Camel

Thanks to a lovely mic, took forever for this to come out. At the very least, I went to an entirely new region this time and encountered another Divine Beast. Real talk, the noise this thing makes freaks me the hell out. I don't really remember the others making sounds quite like it. Still, I'll have to deal with it down the road. Still gotta get more shrines done so I can get that damned Master Sword...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 16 - Thunder Magnet

Finally getting close to the Master Sword next video will definitely be me reaching 40 Spirit Orbs, I'll make sure of it. I'll plan out some easy shrines nearby that don't need quests to get to so I can get it all done as quickly as possible. Still don't know if I'll power the blade up all the way or not. It's pretty hard to accomplish, I've found...

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 10, 2021

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 17 - The Master Sword

About time I got the Master Sword like this. It feels good to finally get the iconic weapon back. Took much longer than I expected it to as well, but I guess it was made to be a bit tedious to get on purpose. I think I will indeed show off the first set of trials to power up the blade, but no way am I going to do that with the other two. Too lacking in content. It's just one wave of enemies after the other and not interesting to watch or talk over.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 18 - Trial of the Sword - The Beginning Trials

Even these Beginning Trials are a real pain in the rear end. Shows how unskilled I am with the game. At least I got them done. As I mentioned before, this will be the only video where I'll actually show off this sort of thing. These Trials just provide too little to talk about. Either way, it's too late to change my mind. Since recording this video I already powered up the Master Sword up all the way, so it's all clear and done with. Next time I can finally continue on with the main story...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 19 - Divine Beast Vah Ruta

After nearly twenty videos, I finally tackle a Divine Beast. While I really prefer the Temples from the various other games in the series, I can at least appreciate what they try to do here. Allowing each "dungeon" to be modified in some way to solve puzzles or get an extra chest is interesting. Still, I'm hoping in this game's sequel, they go back to regular Temples that are more uniquely themed instead.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 20 - The Korok Trials

I really somehow remembered these being a lot more annoying. The only hiccups were just me being careless or charging ahead without knowing what I was doing. Even the sneaking escort trial was too bad, really. Really appreciate that the game had these four shrines all bunched up like this. Really helped things speed along with this sort of intermission between Divine Beasts as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 21 - Gerudo Town

Well, time for that part of the game. Never really found the whole forced crossdressing gag to really be that funny in media in general. So the segment really does nothing for me. There was a lot less attention drawn to it than I remember, though, so that's nice. It was nice to get another Sheikah Tower activated too. Seeing the map fill up like that is so cathartic. Feels weird knowing only a few videos and another Divine Beast will be done given how long it took for me to get Vah Ruta done, but it'll still be nice. Maybe I should pace out the story stuff more since at the rate I planned things, I'll finish most of the story stuff but still have dozens of videos doing Shrines and side quests and stuff...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 22 - Yiga Clan Hideout

Only just realized I never actually posted this video, so two videos in one post. Never liked stealth sections, especially in games where 99% of it isn't stealth at all. Still, it was shorter than I remember it being, especially if I hadn't forgotten how to get to the boss area. At least the boss is a non-issue and I got it all done with sooner rather than later.

Part 23 - Divine Beast Vah Naboris

As for the actual newest video, another Divine Beast is cleansed. It was more confusing than I remember it being, but then again me being turned around in simple situations is hardly a first. The boss isn't bad here either, especially with the Master Sword, than its a complete joke. Which of course applies to all of the Blights and Calamity Ganon itself. I like the swaying attack it does, it kind of reminds me of Captain Kuro from One Piece, specifically his Out of The Bag Attack. I think that sort of thing is common in anime, but that's where I first saw it so that's what I think of.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 24 - Link vs. Molduga

Just getting some side stuff done here, and I think for a video this length, I managed to cram in a lot. Got distracted by a fight that was actually unnecessary, but aside from that I'm actually glad with what got done. Certainly helped that only one of the Shrines had any content to it, and even then it was just a fighting Shrine and those are wrapped up so easily. Just getting a lot of small, but necessary, tidbits out of the way. I think the Moldugas are pretty cool, and are probably my favorite mini-bosses in the game aside from the Lynels. Certainly helps that they're a brand new enemy which always helps things.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 25 - Rito Village

I stroll through Rito Village, seeing most of what it has to offer and at least starting most of the quests I can do there. Some only unlock once the Divine Beast is cleared, naturally. It's kind of a disappointing area and feels the least impactful of the four settlements troubled by Divine Beasts, as I mention a lot in the video. The only thing standing between you and actually going up to the Divine Beast is the easiest target practice minigame ever and a pretty simple assault in the air with those cannons. At the very least it means I can mop up the side stuff in the area pretty easily when the time comes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 26 - Divine Beast Vah Medoh

Three of four Divine Beasts down, but the last bit of main story I'm going to be getting done for a while. Gonna have a long stretch of just doing sidequests and clearing out shrines. Medoh was a lot less annoying than Naboris was, and the power is a lot more helpful too. I'd take quicker climbing over a lightning attack any day.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 27 - The Stolen Heirloom

Just had to work through a bunch of side content this time, which'll be the running theme for another ten videos probably. If only because some shrine quests, like the Eventide one, can take ages by themselves. At the very least I cleared up basically everything to do in Kakariko Village. A small part of the game, yes, but just knowing one settlement is cleared feels nice. Gonna do a bunch of DLC stuff next time.

What do people think of the DLC stuff? I kind of wish there was more story stuff like The Champions' Ballad. Maybe not all to that extent, but at least more than just "Oh, some chests with some clothes items appeared, go get them." is all.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 28 - Malanya

Not much to say here. Just going around opening up DLC chests and getting Malanya freed from his bud. I always forget how drat creepy that guy is until I see a video of him or whatever. Thought it was interesting the developers put in a way to resurrect horses even though yo can get more and more no matter what. I guess when you get to name them and everything they assumed people would really get beat up over them dying. Should've just made them immortal then, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 29 - Hylian Homeowner

Boy, I really dislike having to buy a single home extension at a time. It really drags on a poo poo ton. Like if you have all the Rupees necessary, just let me buy it all at once. Also I swear Zora's Domain shrunk since I last saw it. Really feels a lot smaller for some reason and I don't know why. Wasn't as much to do there as I expected either since I don't think I even did any side quests for it before clearing out the Divine Beast. At this rate it may not take quite as long as I thought before I finally move on to the Goron section of the map. Might do it earlier than I said anyway just so I can do The Champions' Ballad part of the game sooner and get those ability upgrades.