Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
Who is the informant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pump Jockey posted:

Who is the informant?

We might find out on Monday!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, there we are. The informant is the flight attendant.

e: Well, I got swerved.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 10, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hahahha their kid works for McDonalds!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Doug is great and all, but he's got nothing on that Yinzer.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

That was strangely heartwarming for a documentary about a massive rear end in a top hat who ruined a lot of lives in tow with a shitload of fraudsters. Especially liked 'Duke' and the brothers happy little friendship, plus pretty much the entire Colombo family ending (including the walk-in from the son in full maccas work attire). What a great doco. For a bunch of federal agents, criminals, lawyers and business weenies they sure all were very entertaining and endearing people.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kind of amazed that Uncle Jerry only got 5 years in prison considering he stole from other wealthy people. People get much longer sentences, for stealing way less.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Kind of amazed that Uncle Jerry only got 5 years in prison considering he stole from other wealthy people. People get much longer sentences, for stealing way less.

Rich old white men get off easy even if you stole that wealth.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The editing team for this are superstars. The decision to lead the series with Agent Matthews absolutely made the show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Madurai posted:

The editing team for this are superstars. The decision to lead the series with Agent Matthews absolutely made the show.

Also liked the way each episode would add in new surprise information and blindsides.

Loved the attempted legal argument for a defendant that "breaking the rules of McDonald's contest is not the same as breaking the law."

There's a McMillions podcast by the filmmakers with 6 episodes to match the show; they go into details about putting it all together and more on the people they interviewed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the 'how' definitely was anticlimactic so I get why they left it until the last episode. It also seems to make out that it was a crime of opportunity, in that he just happened to receive the holographic security stickers by accident. like he wouldnt have committed the crime at all if not for that stroke of luck.

the story was cool. As an Aussie I had no idea about it so I learned it all from this documentary, which I wouldnt have otherwise.

Time was not kind to either of the Jerrys wives.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Smoking and drugs will do that

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Binary Logic posted:

Loved the attempted legal argument for a defendant that "breaking the rules of McDonald's contest is not the same as breaking the law."

Maybe I misunderstood, but wasn't this legal argument actually solid? That's why they had to catch them on the mail fraud. It isn't the FBI's job to enforce the McDonald's game rules.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Another Bill posted:

Maybe I misunderstood, but wasn't this legal argument actually solid? That's why they had to catch them on the mail fraud. It isn't the FBI's job to enforce the McDonald's game rules.

I mean he stole a game piece worth $1m didn't he how is that not just theft?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

socialsecurity posted:

I mean he stole a game piece worth $1m didn't he how is that not just theft?

Yeah but it's only worth 1m if McDonalds honors the rules of it's own game. The piece itself has negligible value, and he didn't steal it so much as change how it was distributed.

I mean, I think what he did was morally wrong but selling the winning piece to a friend instead of where it was supposed to go is more of a broken contract between him and his employer/McDonalds than it is a crime.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Nah he literally stole them and sold them. The people he sold them to are the ones who broke the rules of the game.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Another Bill posted:

Yeah but it's only worth 1m if McDonalds honors the rules of it's own game. The piece itself has negligible value, and he didn't steal it so much as change how it was distributed.

I mean, I think what he did was morally wrong but selling the winning piece to a friend instead of where it was supposed to go is more of a broken contract between him and his employer/McDonalds than it is a crime.

Nah it’d still be a reasonably straightforward case of fraud. The law doesn’t fall apart just because the thing you are stealing or lying about isn’t literally dollar bills. Fraud laws are written to cover goods and even services of recognizable value.

That’d be like saying I could steal a copy of Action Comics #1 and get way scot free because technically the cover says it’s only worth 10 cents.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Alright I guess I'm wrong. I thought one of the FBI dudes came out and said as much in one episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

The idea that anybody was innocent in the scam was patently absurd. They may say that they didn't directly know that Jerry Jacobsen was doing something directly illegal but there was obviously something wrong going on because they're buying something that's worth a lot more than they're paying for it.

The only one I feel bad for is the lady who only got the 10k a year because her story made it sound like she didn't want to do it in the first place but got kind of strong armed into it by Jerry Colombo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

The only one I feel bad for is the lady who only got the 10k a year because her story made it sound like she didn't want to do it in the first place but got kind of strong armed into it by Jerry Colombo.

And that one guy who got conned into it by his foster dad, who gave him the BS story about winning the ticket legit and wanting it to not be marital assets during his divorce.

Thankfully he won on appeal.

Give Doug Matthews his own show where he just explains funny FBI cases.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How has a gif of Doug Matthews laughing not turned into a meme yet?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

WampaLord posted:

And that one guy who got conned into it by his foster dad, who gave him the BS story about winning the ticket legit and wanting it to not be marital assets during his divorce.

I like how his official excuse was even scummier than stealing money from McDonalds and everyone just rolled with it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

I like how his official excuse was even scummier than stealing money from McDonalds and everyone just rolled with it.

"Look I didn't think I was defrauding McDonald's, I was just helping him keep his HARD EARNED MONEY away from his soon-to-be-ex wife!"

Bird in a Blender posted:

How has a gif of Doug Matthews laughing not turned into a meme yet?

I want him to narrate/explain everything to me. Start a YouTube channel or something!

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I want him to narrate/explain everything to me. Start a YouTube channel or something!

I’d watch a Agent Doug Matthews live watch and recap series of Tiger King

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw an article the other day about things the documentary "left out" and it became extremely obvious that it was just clickbait because the very first thing was saying how there was another FBI agent in charge of the investigation.

No poo poo, the show was pretty clear about that and how he refused to participate.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

WampaLord posted:

When this guy was in his house calling all his kids, I got Cletus vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYF_nu2I4M

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

muscles like this! posted:

I saw an article the other day about things the documentary "left out" and it became extremely obvious that it was just clickbait because the very first thing was saying how there was another FBI agent in charge of the investigation.

No poo poo, the show was pretty clear about that and how he refused to participate.

Considering McMillions was a total of six hours long, I highly doubt anything remotely important was left out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been putting this one off as I had a few other shows to finish but now finally watched the first episode. I thought I read something about this case before but nothing really matches my memory and all this seems fresh.

It's amazing how they managed to make a pretty boring fraud case instantly entertaining. Certainly helps that they have Dough Matthew on board, that guy is really something. He should have his own show where he talks about his other cases, or maybe it's all made up and he's playing a fictionalized version of himself.

I was surprised they dropped the big bomb at the the end of the first episode but there's probably way more bizarre poo poo to fill the other 5 episodes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been putting this one off as I had a few other shows to finish but now finally watched the first episode. I thought I read something about this case before but nothing really matches my memory and all this seems fresh.

It's amazing how they managed to make a pretty boring fraud case instantly entertaining. Certainly helps that they have Dough Matthew on board, that guy is really something. He should have his own show where he talks about his other cases, or maybe it's all made up and he's playing a fictionalized version of himself.

I was surprised they dropped the big bomb at the the end of the first episode but there's probably way more bizarre poo poo to fill the other 5 episodes.

I assure you there are five more bombs to drop.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Another Bill posted:

The distinction is getting them on something which is unambiguously a federal offence, which mail fraud is by definition

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t know what was grosser, when the Columbo brother ordered TEN CREAMS AND FIVE SUGARS for his coffee, or when he ordered the exact same thing for his wife.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Riptor posted:

The distinction is getting them on something which is unambiguously a federal offence, which mail fraud is by definition

Thank you, I understand now. I must have misheard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ruddiger posted:

I don’t know what was grosser, when the Columbo brother ordered TEN CREAMS AND FIVE SUGARS for his coffee, or when he ordered the exact same thing for his wife.

It's the philly accent.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
still laughing my rear end off at Jerry Columbo, a fairly well-known mobster, willingly appearing in the McDonalds commercial

agree that this was way too long, couldn't really bring myself to care much about Gloria Brown or George Chandler. obviously felt bad for the former at least but the 5 minute re-enactment of her cashing in the ticket was like, come on

another bizarre thing, you kind of assume that Jerry Jacobson was either dead or in prison. I didn't realize until the last half hour that the dude was still alive. also lmao @ doing this extensive investigation involving a bunch of wiretaps & an entire 'fake' production company only to give like, one dude a few years in prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I finally got around to watching this, and holy poo poo. Basically all I knew about the actual events was "McDonald's Monopoly game ended up being rigged", and the miniseries filled in aaaaaaall the blanks, including some extremely unexpected ones. I kept meaning to save some episodes since I'm on a week-long vacation but I went from "oh, I have to save these episodes for later" to "there's only X episodes left? I might as well just keep watching" like 3/4 of the way through the second episode.

Doug Mathews seems like a guy that you'd meet at a sports bar who would be strongly vocally opinionated about a player/team, ask you what your opinion was of that player/team, then laugh really hard and buy you a beer no matter what your actual opinion was, and THEN ask your name. Just a genial and excited conversationalist, and I didn't really get that "lurking dark side" sense from him -- maybe it was the good editing, who knows. He seemed like someone I could talk to at a party with minimal risk of an "I'm not racist/sexist, but" statement coming out of his mouth. I also loved the two Mrs. Jerries. Young Robin looked like a cross between Jane Seymour & Selena, and I was smoking (not cigarettes) while watching and, uh, I slowed down a little. I know it wasn't just smoke since she was talking about suicide attempts, but still.

Are spoiler tags still necessary? I'll err on the side of caution. I thought it was a really interesting (and good) choice to open with Michael Hoover telling some bogus story, twice, and bragging to his friend about having pulled off such a great scam and to proceed to Gloria Brown, obviously wary & out of her element, obviously hiding something, obviously terrified. I don't know if it's because I'm the child of a Black single mother, but I experienced some serious sympathy whiplash. I don't think my mom would have ever been quite desperate enough to consider something like that, mostly because she/we have always had a really supportive family despite being broke as gently caress.

Another Bill posted:

Two things:

1) Doug Matthews looks weirdly like Red Wings great Steve Yzerman to me.

I thought he seemed like Tucker from IAB from Law & Order on opposite day.

ruddiger posted:

1) He ordered one of them with five Equals. :colbert:
2) Any cream in coffee is an abomination. Milk 4 lyfe.
3) When he ordered ten creams, I was forced to assume that large McD's coffees are like half a gallon. I hope anyway.