Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Propaganda Machine posted:

In more Survivor news, Sierra Dawn Thomas and Joe Anglim just had a kid. From the kid's name and the article from people.com, it seems that Dawn is Sierra's last name not middle, which kind of surprised me.

I don't know about you, but it might feel weird to date/marry/ have kids with someone who openly made Mana with Wigglesworth, also from Game Changers, but what do I know!

As I understand their personalities, I imagine they're pretty good with each other.

It's a little strange to be judgy about them.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Joe’s been falling down the right wing conspiracy hole for a while now and was supporting the “stop the steal” nonsense. His thing with Wigglesworth was strange but not what he should be criticized for.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait what's this thing Joe did with Wigglesworth?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Max posted:

Joe’s been falling down the right wing conspiracy hole for a while now and was supporting the “stop the steal” nonsense. His thing with Wigglesworth was strange but not what he should be criticized for.

Yeah, he's joined some sort of right wing men's empowerment cult. It's also come out that Joe was very liberal with his use of the n-word in all of his seasons of Survivor. He's a piece of poo poo, and so is Sierra.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Raxivace posted:

Wait what's this thing Joe did with Wigglesworth?

It was this really weird show called Mana.

https://survivingtribal.com/2017/04/19/survivor-players-kelly-wiglesworth-joe-anglim-bodypaint-mana/

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Max posted:

I just found something incredibly offensive about it. Joe’s personal behavior is overtly odious and far worse but, like, in what world could anybody think that show was a good idea? It’s a poor judgment thing, though not at all surprising that the same person is behind both.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, he's joined some sort of right wing men's empowerment cult. It's also come out that Joe was very liberal with his use of the n-word in all of his seasons of Survivor. He's a piece of poo poo, and so is Sierra.

Now that's a great reason to be judgy. Agreed.

jfc. I knew she was hearing it on Day 1, but I didn't expect it to be Joe.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 1, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nihonniboku posted:

Kind of wish production had the balls to tell that story.

“Joe seemed like a nice enough guy, then he turned into Kramer at that comedy club and everyone was deeply uncomfortable”

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BGrifter posted:

Kind of wish production had the balls to tell that story.

“Joe seemed like a nice enough guy, then he turned into Kramer at that comedy club and everyone was deeply uncomfortable”

They thought they had the next Ozzy on their hands, so they protected him at all costs. We all know Jeff has his man crushes and idolizes certain male contestants in a way that he has never done for a female contestant.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and he does it despite watching him act like a garbage person.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zesty posted:

and he does it despite watching him act like a garbage person.

Yeah, after hearing all the stories about how Jeff has admitted to rigging the game against contestants he doesn't like, and about him throwing tantrums on set when the contestants aren't giving him what he wants at tribal, I'm realizing maybe it's time for the show to move on with a new host.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The on set tantrums have been happening for 30+ seasons

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
"maybe it's time" suggests he was one way and now he's another and it's affected the show as a result. This isn't the case.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, after hearing all the stories about how Jeff has admitted to rigging the game against contestants he doesn't like, and about him throwing tantrums on set when the contestants aren't giving him what he wants at tribal, I'm realizing maybe it's time for the show to move on with a new host.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
For real, he does a great job on Survivor Australia

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
More than that, he's not in charge. He doesn't come off as antagonistic with the cast.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can he hang casually outside of a helicopter once or twice a season? I can't remember if he did or not, but he was the best fake-jeff I've yet seen.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I cannot get over how insane/intense Australian reality competitions are. Survivor goes for 55 days with 24 contestants, as though the US version wasn’t difficult enough already. As another example, their version of Masterchef usually clocks in at 60ish episodes. Something in their water must just make them more hardcore.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Survivor Australia proved me wrong when I thought I had an insatiable Survivor appetite after burning through all the season a year ago or 2 ago. It's really good, but there are a lot more episodes that are each also longer and idk if it's the accents or what but I ironically end up kind of losing track more of each character despite the extended periods of character building afforded by the format. Then again it's been such a long drought now, maybe I'd soak it all in more now.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

As another example, their version of Masterchef usually clocks in at 60ish episodes. Something in their water must just make them more hardcore.

How do they manage that? Do they have multiple episodes between eliminations?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nihonniboku posted:

How do they manage that? Do they have multiple episodes between eliminations?

Indeed. It airs five days a week with a structure something like cook off-pressure test elimination-immunity cook-team challenge-elimination. This year right now they’re spending a full week of airtime allowing eliminated contestants to cook their ways back in. It’s a LOT, but I find it easier to keep up with than their Survivor just because their standard of cooking is as absurdly intense as their schedule.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Indeed. It airs five days a week with a structure something like cook off-pressure test elimination-immunity cook-team challenge-elimination. This year right now they’re spending a full week of airtime allowing eliminated contestants to cook their ways back in. It’s a LOT, but I find it easier to keep up with than their Survivor just because their standard of cooking is as absurdly intense as their schedule.

I guess the UK does that with that gently caress island show or whatever it's called

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

I cannot get over how insane/intense Australian reality competitions are. Survivor goes for 55 days with 24 contestants, as though the US version wasn’t difficult enough already. As another example, their version of Masterchef usually clocks in at 60ish episodes. Something in their water must just make them more hardcore.

MasterChef gets 5 episodes a week though for reference, with 2 eliminations a week. All episodes are at least an hour and some are 2 hours. We loving love our timesink reality shows. Biggest loser and big brother had daily episodes as well, and big brother also had a weekly adults only episode where they’d air all the uncensored footage of the contestants showering and stuff.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What what what. Why the gently caress.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zesty posted:

What what what. Why the gently caress.

Nudity obviously. Everyone likes nudity. It's probably why at least portion of people pay for the US Feeds...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I mean it wasn't just shower footage, it was anything raunchy the contestants did or said, anything that couldn't be aired in the main show. But shower footage was a very large chunk of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always figured that sort of poo poo was the whole point of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0App7QizQCU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
In non-creepy bad idea news, there's a leaked cast list for s41 that shows that they've really gone head first into having a diverse cast which hopefully will be good for the show. Cast list here: https://insidesurvivor.com/cast/season-41-cast and is obviously potential spoilers.

Looks like season 41 is gonna be Survivor: Old People Edition with the average age being 34 which is old by Survivor standards. Cast looks to be pretty largely divided into very young and very old though so we may have another MvG type situation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SweetJahasus posted:

In non-creepy bad idea news, there's a leaked cast list for s41 that shows that they've really gone head first into having a diverse cast which hopefully will be good for the show. Cast list here: https://insidesurvivor.com/cast/season-41-cast and is obviously potential spoilers.

Looks like season 41 is gonna be Survivor: Old People Edition with the average age being 34 which is old by Survivor standards. Cast looks to be pretty largely divided into very young and very old though so we may have another MvG type situation.

Given that the new season is only 26 days instead of the usual 39, I wonder if we're going to get a few double boots, or if there will just be shorter amounts of time between tribal councils.

Or maybe they'll pull a Palau again and just boot two people straight off the bat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope not, immediate boots are a waste of viewers time and the contestants. Didn't realize they were doing a truncated season, 13 days less is pretty crazy. I suppose they could just skip the rest days between immunities and tribals and challenges and stuff. Gonna be a weird season.

I'm surprised some fan site already has graphics and stuff for the season with player faces in the banners.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It seems like a bad plan to mix accelerated boots and Survivor finally grappling with issues around race and casting.

Survivor finally addresses the long-standing criticism of how many white people they cast with a more diverse cast… then Wanda two PoC before the game even begins. :suicide:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't worry, they'll immediately go to Final Four in an exciting new twist that skips the whole extinction island stuff.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I don't think we'll even notice the 26 days from a format perspective. Theyll just chuck out the day that doesn't have immunity/reward.

Hope it doesn't become the norm though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You know how they always have SO much content to show us. :nallears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It does seem odd being only 26 days. I hope that's not something that plan on making the norm in the future. Basically removes the "surviving" aspect of the game if they jam pack 26 days with challenges and rewards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It does seem odd being only 26 days. I hope that's not something that plan on making the norm in the future. Basically removes the "surviving" aspect of the game if they jam pack 26 days with challenges and rewards.

He often would you say the survival part matter that much? They could just give them less rice if production wants to put them the players in the position of the having to barter with Jeff for more.

I guess two less weeks means less chance of getting rained out?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
less rest time between challenges does seem like a possibly fair tradeoff to fewer days, especially if they aren't bombarding them with food all the time like they do some seasons

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm glad they've cast two regular people from Toronto. I guess the pro hockey player didn't kill their Canadian ambition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lone Goat posted:

He often would you say the survival part matter that much? They could just give them less rice if production wants to put them the players in the position of the having to barter with Jeff for more.

Heh, I don't want another San Juan Del Sur situation again where they were coming to Jeff each week trying to barter. God what a lame rear end season.