Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Well they couldn't do Heroes vs. Villains vs. Coach now could they?

Actually a giant statue of Coach sounds perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TWINNIE

This season is fun so far.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh no who could survive the wrath of Jeff Probst!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

precision posted:

I wonder if they're allowed to randomly choose who to leave them to

I half expected Tyson to start walking away, toss the token back over his shoulder, and let it fall where it may.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

gently caress yes!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tony gonna be so shook

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

CBS All Access is giving away a free month of service. Might have to rewatch Heroes vs. Villains.

It holds up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Is that what people were referencing when they were mad at him for wasting time? I didn’t know what they were talking about and was thinking something wasn’t shown.

I also was (and remain) confused. Though it would be uncharacteristically bad editing for them not to show it, and nothing else even comes close.

Also anyone on the team had somewhere they could've saved three seconds, can't hang it all on one team member. Even if he's otherwise a jackass.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

I knew this was going to come up.

Women's handwriting has more broadstrokes and flair whether they intend it or not.

Having been raised in a household being the only male sibling with two older sisters I've been accustomed to my very basic and utilitarian way of writing (The "Yul Hyung" Vote Nick made) versus than that of my sister's.
Michelle didn't need to leave hearts and sparkles and glitter as her vote was revealed (which was the last one shown) to prove to me that vote was hers.
It was.
And I'll leave it as that.

Your sample size of 3 is convincing.

Here I'll join in on dumb projection: I bet whoever wrote "Yul hyung" is a fan of The Genius because they're playing a tv show game and that's where I first encountered the word hyung!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sandra quit, but in the least meaningful and most understandable way possible. If she wasn't in the game then she and I have that in common, and I'm sitting on my couch watching.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

He's just being real. Let him be real right now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Obviously it means he had a single chaste poster on his bedroom wall to remind him only of her strategic prowess.

Maybe it's an autographed single chaste poster, signed in her obviously very girly handwriting.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You're not wrong that there's a million twists now, but there's still one consistent way to get them while stuck at camp: find a lil package hidden nearby.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I like not having all the rules laid out, it's fun to watch. And they don't know there's going to be one immunity necklace up for grabs at tomorrow's challenge, that's an assumption too. One with a ton of precedent, sure, but that's what makes a twist a twist.

I'd probably choose sleep too, but not even considering the possibility of an idol seems pretty dumb, and is an indictment of the players more than production.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serious Party Gods posted:

What does Rob have to gain by hiding his tokens?

10 minutes of fun messing with the others on a small empty island?

quote:

I've pinned my hopes on Denise and Sophie.

:same:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tyson's back. No CopsRUs yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Man the editing did not do a great job explaining where these players are at at all.

I guess most of my questions are about Michelle? Why was she left out? Was she at all? If she was on the outs of the vote, what was her gameplan coming into the merge - Nick + Wendell + (???)?

Who were the six people who decided on Wendell and not Adam and forced the vote? Denise and Sophie probably, but I have no clue who the other four are.

Yeah it's a confusing mess (still fun to watch though). We figured Michele was in on the vote and flipped on Wendell, based entirely on trying to read her "I had no idea" response.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Surely he means 17 more days left in the game?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Welp.

Hope you're wrong but I fear you're right.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Every season is 39 days, it's even in the tagline Jeff says to start every season.

Right, sorry, I meant to say I hope you're wrong about your interpretation of Rob's comment.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Also, Redemption Island didn't become the jury. It's a bit weird to have one half of the jury know about Edge and the other half know about the tribe with little overlap.

Though I guess it's not much different from spending post-merge in Ponderosa before casting a jury vote. Difference of magnitude but maybe not end result.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not generally a fan of the music of Survivor but they're really hitting new lows this season.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fits with the duct-taped rhyming of clues and mail messages!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

They totally had me convinced it was going to be an idol, haha

I don’t blame Adam for going for it.

No reason not to! Worst case he comes across as wanting to stay in the game.

xbilkis posted:

As someone who hated Adam his first season, manic doofus Adam is wonderful and I will miss him greatly

Who knew the Ben-Adam relationship would be one of my favorite parts of an all winners season

Agreed. Can't wait for his victory in the return challenge!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mancalamania posted:

Is the coin played before or after the votes are cast? It sounds like before which makes it even less powerful (since even if she's safe the majority can still switch their votes and decide who goes home).

It's also one of those twists that sounds exciting on paper could easily produce a real thud of a TV moment. If she plays it she probably knows she's about to get voted out, and if it comes up Not Safe then we still have to go through the boring formality of watching her get voted out when everyone knows what's about to happen. Why wouldn't they just make it a full idol? Why do they insist on creating these stupid needlessly convoluted advantages?

My guess is that the coin flip and the two-piece idols form something of a theme of shared information: you get an idol but you have to tell someone. For two-piece, sure you can give half to someone and get it right back, but now they know you have one. For coin flip, everyone gets to see you're attempting to play an idol and feel scorned that you didn't tell them.

Standard idols just hide in your pocket, sometimes having literally zero effect on the game when e.g. some injury-prone chump goes home with two unplayed.

(I admit it's a loose connection.)

Invalid Validation posted:

I dunno, everyone says there’s tons of strategy but most of the time I just think it’s pure luck you end up in the final three.

It's assumed (probably correctly) that nobody wants to watch a weekly three hour supercut of groups of 2-5 people sitting around fire/water/sand talking strategy. We see bits and pieces, we find out after the fact from interviews etc., but yeah going strictly by what's aired it can seem pretty arbitrary.

To be fair, most if not all winners admit to luck playing a major role in their victory. I don't know if we've seen enough repeat players to say whether better players tend to win over time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

I will accept the weird editing that leaves us in the dark about who the pivotal players are and how and why they're making decisions if the producers, who clearly are taking inspiration from the Genius, give us an Extreme Ways montage when it's revealed at final five that Jeremy and Kim or whoever have been masterminding the entire game together all along.

Agreed.

I would also like fire tokens to have even a tenth the impact on Survivor as garnets did on The Genius. Otherwise they're just a waste of time. And I wouldn't fault them for trying it just to have fire tokens not really matter, but then you chop it down in the edit bay.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It always seemed so lopsided that Amazing Race challenges take maybe a couple hours if you're really bad at them, while you can end up twelve hours behind if you miss the last ferry (which players may not even know is a thing until they arrive). Might be interesting if they flipped it, with some challenges keeping teams in one place for like two days. Could also bring some interesting interactions if they go to the same idk streetside pretzel vendor for four straight meals.

I also find it impossible to play along with Amazing Race. And I don't need much, I'm not someone who presses pause and takes out a pencil and paper during each episode of The Genius (no judgement!). But the viewer is so unbelievably passive in AR. You can't play along with the challenges because they're either physical or you see the answer as part of the explanation. Gameplay seems to stop at "who should we u-turn?", which can be interesting but again we see the answer three seconds later with little explanation. There's nothing to talk about if you're watching together and nothing to think about if you're alone.

I haven't watched in a few seasons so maybe it's changed, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment. Mostly I just get frustrated at what feels like a squandered premise.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Aw man no twinnie.

Also this segment is interminable.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Where is twinnie

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Why is every Ambah confessional the tightest possible shot?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Oh my god this is the worst episode.

:yeah:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I'm really loving confused about what happened. I need to watch that episode again.

Not sure it'll help, we had to make extra time to ask 25 people how they feel seeing a loved one so no time to show what's happening in the game!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Replace final tribal council with rites of passage! What do you mean "ugh", are you a robot???

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Big Taint posted:

Lol wasn’t Tyson’s win the last time they did rites of passage, and he clowned it so hard?

Don't remember but that is the one person who could possibly make it watchable!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tribal whispering is fine when the show does something with it. If you watch an episode where the two swing votes are deciding down to the last minute, seem to make their decision, then those two people start a lil whisper session at tribal, that's suspenseful. Or if there's a big whisper flare-up but Jeff grills them at tribal for another two hours until they explain, maybe that's ok.

When the entire tribal goes into whisper mode, it means everything we've seen so far is suddenly in question. But we barely saw anything this episode, and the multiple advantages already mean it's kinda up in the air. This big whisper session is just poking the viewer in the eye and saying "now you really, really, really don't know!" Which... yeah, we don't know because you didn't show us, and did nothing clever with the edit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The only way to win legit from edge is to come back from it twice.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Good ep so far but I can't help wondering what various family members of the contestants are up to?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ben account spotted!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Every EoE segment:

*camera gets close enough to boop Amber on the nose*

"Oh right, Amber exists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Wow, tribal already? Half hour tribal today must be some hot whispers action.

Presumably we're doing two tribals and one Edge challenge that twinnie is sure to win.