Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I say this every year but Survivor Australia really deserves a watch. Episode three of this season was just crazy and winners season aside puts the American version to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

That opener was truly excellent. I really wasn’t bothered about Rob being back but those scenes with Ben and Danni were just so great.

I think the fire tokens could make edge a bit more palatable this time round and I have fingers crossed for all its eventual inhabitants blowing all their tokens on alcohol. Thank you Nat for being team tv and giving Sandra the idol.

I do find it interesting that production had avoided grouping too many previous connections on the same tribe for returnee seasons, yet we had the Nat/ Jeremy and Sandra/ Tony/ Sarah combos.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Give us the intro CBS :argh:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The queen giving two middle fingers to edge was perfect for me.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

They really shouldn’t run that challenge in the rain, that looked fairly awful for the players.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

ApplesandOranges posted:

That challenge was not fun but honestly, that was peanuts compared to Australian Survivor's challenges.

This is absolutely true but any challenge that isn’t safe to get out of is not well designed. This has happened before with the same challenge when it wasn’t raining so production messed up here.

Anyway, Tyson being back in (and not being seen as a possible vote!) is cool.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I’d probably rank the Australian seasons something like 2 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 1. They’re all pretty good but 5 and 1 have some episodes that drag.

I think the best format for the show would be 90 minute episodes, 18 or 20 player cast, and no comeback or non-elimination twists.

Australian Survivor has some amazing camp scenes and the challenges are normally pretty great.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

That song worked on the season trailer but it’s godawful on the show. The probability based advantages are absolute garbage as well. Truly, Jeff is doing everything in his power to ruin an amazing cast.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

If it’s any season that needed longer episodes, it was this one. We have returnees that haven’t played for years and have existing relationships, a twenty person cast, advantages flying about everywhere, and edge (which also means there has to be an extra two vote offs).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Can you remind me what happened there? I’ve got a sneaking suspicion.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Oh jeez yeah that was heartbreaking when it aired but I kind of expected it to happen.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Goddam, I’m sad Sophie was at the receiving end of that vote but drat, Tony really did an unbelievable job. I hope we get a reaction shot of Parvati and Nat buying six jars of peanut butter.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I really enjoyed Second Chances but I remember Spencer and the amount of screen time he was given being pretty painful and I think it puts a lot of people off.

Keith riding a ‘ToTo’ and Kelley attempting to get both idols are is top tier scenes.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

It’s pretty apt that Jeff wouldn’t like a good theme for a season.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

A season of five winners and five of best to never win from each franchise would be fantastic. The challenges would definitely have to be toned tone from the usual Australian standard.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Where should I start with Australian Survivor, and what's the best way to watch it in the US?

I’ll PM you now.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The Edge returnee is gunna go after Tony. They will have had nothing to talk about except how great his game has been. Saying that, he has an idol and the safety net of fire making for 2 of the 3 tribals.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I think if Nat (or any early edge boot) gets back in they have a shot to win. They will have had around a month to bond with the jury and in the jury’s eyes, voting for the edge returnee validates them staying on that island.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Yeah that Probst interview contradicts his push for more and more insane twists. It’s weird because I remember in a recent season a big deal was made about the fact that starting tribes would have half as much rice as prior seasons and then next to nothing was shown on it.

Just this episode we had the secret scene with the finale six exhausted and not moving. It’s not like the content Jeff is after doesn’t exist, the other parts of the show just crowds out the run time in most situations.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 7, 2020

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The Bloop posted:

I think it exactly doesn't

To him, it's having the cake and eating it too

I guess my point is that he’s already got it without edge. That secret scene of the final six pushed to exhaustion could have replaced the edge segment and it’s still the same point of outlasting the elements. It also makes the plot of Denise being over the scrambling make more sense.

I am very much on board with a season that has fire tokens but no edge. It’s a much more interesting wrinkle than what they were trying to do than the legacy advantage.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I hope we get adventure Jeff swinging into his living room with a roaring fireplace.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Watching the fanbase do a 180 on Michele has been pretty wild. She may have got 0 votes but Tony just played an insane game for someone that was seen as an almost guaranteed early boot.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Yeah in retrospect it’s very odd the Sophie vote wasn’t brought up. Also was Sophie alright? She looked really ill at final tribal.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Sand Monster posted:

She was ill the tribal before that and didn't even show up for it (a first in the history of the show that I recall where a juror missed a tribal).

That must have been truly miserable for her. To have gone through almost the entire game and then have that happen. Grim.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

JOHN CENA posted:

>>We are bringing back Awful Survivor after a three year hiatus!<<

If you guys have ever wanted to see how you'd fare, this is a great opportunity, and also a real fun experience! Cash prizes, free food, new friendships, there's much to be had playing this game! We're accepting signups now, expecting to launch at the beginning of June.

:eyepop:

For a second I thought this was the theme of season 41, somewhere in middle of nowhere America.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The time difference make me an awful player in these Awful games but it sounds fun to watch.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

It’s entirely down to the jury for who deserves to win :shrug:

Rob’s voting confessional made it pretty clear: for him, he couldn’t give Nat the vote because her game after getting back wasn’t perfect. That’s what he need to justify swapping from Tony.

Even if Edge was harder, it’s the loser’s bracket that Tony never fell into.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Anyone watched survivor South Africa or NZ? I need something to distract me right now and survivor seems to hit the spot.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I’d be more ok with these changes if they actually canned the ones that didn’t work. The two tribe to three tribe swap was exciting and surprising the first time but I don’t think it’s doing anything now.

I don’t want a redo of Borneo but trying a season with no swaps or a season with no idols would catch players out more than some crazy advantage at this point.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Just listen to Rob’s confessionals about Matt, that’s all ya need.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Noura was a delight in an otherwise irredeemable season

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I hope Abi and J’Tia run that game :eyepop:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Yeah I’m surprised it took this long to happen, that looked pretty horrific when it aired.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The start of 2017 spoils the final three and winner of 2016 iirc. But honestly you could watch the pre merge of 2016, then the finale and not miss anything of note.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

So someone recommended season 6 of South African Survivor and it wild. You can watch it on YouTube. Truly one of the most bizarre casts I’ve seen.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The Godmother and the Golden God are going to be on Celebrity Apprentice so that’s something I guess?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Nihonniboku posted:

Should I invest in figuring out a way to watch Australian Survivor?

Yes absolutely. The 2017 and 2019 seasons are up there with the best of the US seasons. It’s fairly easy to watch it if you have a Facebook account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

SweetJahasus posted:

He lives & works in the US, I believe, so I can't see why not. Casting would really be doing themselves a disservice to not inquire, at least.

It’s a shame that Winners at War and Oz All Stars aired at the same time because having Dave on season 40 would who have been stunning.