Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As far as RHAP goes I really enjoyed The Evolution of Strategy audio books they did (Really glorified podcasts) about Seasons 1-30 but 1) They're not free, though there are sample chapters available you can check out and 2) It really depends on how much of Josh Wigler you can take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, I like Kim but I’d like to see what she can do against actual competition.

Like who would you even say was the next best player from One World? Maybe Tarzan?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder how scared people are and should be of Denise. Anyone that survived literally every single tribal council in their season seems like they should be a force to reckoned with anyways, even if she doesn't have as big a reputation as the more famous or recent winners.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Amber said in one of the ET Canada interviews that she doesn't want to work with Sandra though, curiously enough.

drat, S40 can't some soon enough.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't get to watch the S40 special but lmao if Rob only agreed to do 39 so he could troll Sandra in 40.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fabio is basically the perfect winner for what a clusterfuck of a season Nicaragua was.

Like holy hell what even was that?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wish it were next week already, that was a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the point of the criticism against Kim isn't the poker game itself, but rather that she wasn't able to take control of the tribe upfront and then just shut down anyone that might have tried to use the poker game against her.

Like the way people were shutting Kim out of conversations in this ep really stands in contrast to Rob on the other tribe, who not only somehow got Ben to babble on about Danni throwing his name out there but got Danni to admit it and also seemingly recruited her onto his side somehow too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That Know-It-Alls was a mess. Everyone was chattering in the background, a few people that came up to speak hadn't even watched the drat episode, and in the live stream the audio cut out about an hour in.

Shane was gold though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have so many questions about what Tony was thinking when he designed this monstrosity.

Put Tony on every season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Earl was apparently considered to be on S40, but he didn't feel it was right to go because of his newborn daughter.

Earl Cole posted:

I did talk to a few winners beforehand, but I knew I wasn't going. My daughter had just got out of the hospital, after being in there for 3 months! I was in serious dad mode. No time to go play a game, no matter how special the season.

Won't reveal any pre-game alliances, but I can tell you...those things usually fall apart anyway! :)
Source:https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/e9piab/earl_cole_ama/

I would have liked to see Earl again, though I have a lot of nostalgic attachment to his season in general.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 19, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly the reason I enjoy watching Rob is because his emperor/mafia don style of play either blows up spectacularly or is bizarrely effective.

Like its still kind of crazy to me that for all of the times he's played, unless he makes the final 3 this season this will probably be the first time he sits on a jury.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do that Game Changers reward with Cochran on the boat, except instead of Cochran its Fabio.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Island of the Idols, except your sole mentor is Fabio and his only request is to vote out all cops in the game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just do an entire season of competitive Smash Bros. players, with Ken as the only returning player.

I guarantee you won't ever get a more a glorious trainwreck of a season than that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cochran was a goon? That explains a lot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stokes posted:

I've always wanted to see Brian Heidik play again. Watching a sociopath play and dominate Survivor was fascinating to me.
All-Stars in particular I wonder how his presence would have changed, if at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Russell is also incredibly charismatic...to the audience (Significantly less so to his fellow competitors, which is why I think he's such a polarizing figure). In comparison someone like Victoria is just kind of cardboard and bland, and not all that engaging to watch.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 26, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My mom knew Rupert growing up. Said he was nice as a kid, kind of quiet etc.

She also called him a dumbass for trying to build that shelter on the sand in All-Stars lol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ethan :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spergatory posted:

This really just goes to show you how much of Survivor is luck and random bullshit. Sometimes you do nothing wrong and get sent home because of someone you're connected to. Sometimes you make massive, huge mistakes and don't get punished for them. RIP Ethan, you are now officially my number one rooting interest to return to the game.
The connections you have with people are like, the meat and potatoes of the game though.

Like I'm as bummed as everyone else to see Ethan gone so early, but perhaps it should have been expected that he would get hit by stray fire when he attached himself to two of the three players with the absolute biggest targets on their backs of the whole season.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 27, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I contend it was ultimately kind of good because the final morale was that the white lady hosed over everyone to go back to the white people and then the last white guy weaseled over out of self preservation and then the minority of POC left just teamed up and kicked their asses anyway.

The only lasting problem is casting Candace as a "Hero". She literally started a mutiny!
There's some kind of joke about how white people always seem themselves as the hero no matter what terrible things they do in here somewhere.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HvV is a good setup because it was a good excuse to drag Colby out there again and it's by far his most batshit and therefore best season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ah I'm bummed to see Tyson go so early. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know before I thought this batch of players was smart enough to just vote off anybody that comes back from EoE but maybe not lol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ben getting idoled out of the game would be some amazing irony.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wouldn't really call that second idol a waste either- for all Denise knew Sandra's team was targeting Jeremy anyways, which would still be bad for Denise even if she made it through tonight's vote. If they go to tribal again before the merge at least its 2-2 now instead of 3-1, and with nullifiers in play its not like a single idol is a guarantee to survive a 3-1 scenario.

Anyways I'm just lol'ing at Sandra getting voted out with her own idol over here. That's like some HvV Tyson or HvV JT poo poo right there. I love Survivor.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I think it's one of the dumbest moves we've ever seen. Not quite an Erik level move, probably more around the JT level. From the moment Sandra brought the idea up to Denise there was no way it could possibly end with anyone else going home.
I dunno, JT's call in HvV was wrong but at least you can sort of see why he thought an all women's alliance was forming and coming after Russell. I'm not sure what huge upside Sandra was hoping to get out of giving an Idol to Denise.

Like are two fire tokens really worth that much?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean you can literally buy an idol with one token. Selling an expiring idol for two could, in theory get her a profit.
I thought it was like 3 tokens for an idol. If its really only one than yeah that's a lot more defensible.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If I get cheated out of seeing Sandra be a juror I’m gonna be pissed and do something drastic.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I watched Survivor Borneo a few years ago, I was surprised by how much of Lost's language felt like came straight out of it, like Probst talking about what "the Island" as a entity wanted and such. Was kind of interesting since it seems like Survivor dropped that kind of talk relatively quickly while Lost kind of kept it throughout most of its run.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 25, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidBloomberg/status/1242981262576451589

https://twitter.com/DavidBloomberg/status/1242983160260026368

Where do you guys stand on whether Sandra "quit the game" or not?

I don't really find Bloomberg's argument convincing. Despite what he says, it really does seem like he's just playing weird semantic games to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the thing is that when people fantasized about Kim winning before, they were imagining her doing cool mastermind poo poo and not simply going under the radar and just being the least objectionable person at the end. Or at least, the latter is my read on what Kim is trying to do to scrape by at the moment.

That's a totally legit way to win the game and if Kim wins by doing that she deserves her win by definition, its just not the most exciting kind of win in the world.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think its a mistake to assume any EoE returnee would be a zero vote finalist unless they've really gone out of their way to piss people off. They're probably still going to get at least some votes just because they suffered with the jury themselves for at least some amount of time.

It just seems safer to vote off EoE returnees ASAP, especially if its someone like Rob who you know has at least one guaranteed vote in Amber.

e;fb

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I think swaps and tribe shuffles are far more BS than EoE is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lmao Adam

This season owns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Coach didn't win
Coach may not have won the game, but he won our hearts. Well some of our hearts.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't have any problem with the existence of the coin, though four Fire Tokens seems like steep price for an advantage that isn't even guaranteed to activate when you want it to, and that's even assuming you know when to play it correctly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, I mean it was a mistake of Parvati to sell it for that much IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you're Michelle and you're offered the coin for four tokens, it just seems like it would be better to hold out for an advantage that sucks less since the odds of even using the coin effectively seem to actually be pretty low. Even in a best (Worst) case scenario where you're 100% certain the votes are coming onto you, the coin still is at best is only 50% likely to do what you even want it to.

Now if the coin had cost, say, two tokens I could understand jumping on it. Four tokens just seems like a lot for something kind of janky.