Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, I've been enjoying the AUS version much more than what the US show has been serving recently (although I did like season 38 until it became the Rick Devens Show followed by the absurd finale). I've seen the opinion floated that Probst is a great host but terrible executive producer and I agree with it wholeheartedly, if S40 turns out great it's going to be in spite of the avalanche of twists and gimmicks, not because of it (see also, DvG). On the bright side I think this cast is strong enough to provide good entertainment despite Probst's best efforts.

I'd really love it for Sandra to win but that's obviously not happening, so

Pony: Denise
Poison: Rob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

I've seen Probst described as a great host but a rather bad executive producer and I mostly agree with that assessment (unless it's unfair to blame him for the barrage of twists, rule changes and the abundance of idols).

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

I think one of the appeals of Survivor is that there isn't one clear strategy to win, and unpredictable factors (not just luck in the challenges and outside twists, but also related to the personality of the people you're playing with) can either deliver you the victory or completely ruin your chances. For example the "assemble a strong 5-person alliance where everyone has a final 3 deal with you" can either work great if the other players don't compare notes, or get you nowhere if they realize you'll win if you get to the end and get rid of you somewhere in the F9 or F7 zone.

There's always this dilemma in Survivor, where on the one hand you want to be seen playing well so that people give you the million at the end, but on the other hand the better you're seen as playing, the more likely you are to become the target to vote out next. The idols and the F4 firemaking make much easier for a recognized threat to get to the final tribal council than they used to, and I really don't like it, I feel it's better where the focus is on having the other players let you get to the end than forcing your way there.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

If that happens, I hope Probst gets to Final 4 and loses the firemaking