Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Going to take this post to remind everyone there's a thread for the current season of Australian Survivor All Stars :) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912906

Also, if you want to see what happens if they hide an idol at tribal council, there you go :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, that's the one thing that I think will make it hard to watch this season. There's winners that are part of the Survivor community and probably have hung out multiple times throughout the years. And then there's winners that don't really seem to have had much of a presence in the community after winning their season.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pony - Boston Rob

Poison - Sophie

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

But it’s just kind of impossible to know how this will play out. For all we know Sandra and Boston Rob formed an OG Survivor alliance to keep themselves save and vote out all the low profile modern players. Who knows?

Truly this seems like a given to have Rob and Sandra work together if they can.

Considering they are both pretty big on the game of Survivor, seems having all that time on IOI ahead of the winner season would just be commonsense that they would talk about 100s of scenarios. And then include Amber in there and you have a solid trio.

Could even make it a solid 4 if Parvati and Sandra pair up.

(Although of course they are (probably) starting with 2 tribes and I don't think anyone would fall for Rob asking someone to save Amber again)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dugong posted:

I say this every year but Survivor Australia really deserves a watch. Episode three of this season was just crazy and winners season aside puts the American version to shame.

Of all the Australia players, David should 100% get a shot at US Survivor. Pretty sure he likely has everything set to legally compete on US Survivor since he has at least did modelling work in NYC.

And yea, you all got time before season 40 starts, go watch some superior Survivor :)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

EOE sucks. But will probably be good for Season 40 to have it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Does US Survivor have the better editing? I'm not so sure really. I really like how much Australian Survivor shows of the Survivors just doing camp life stuff. And then this season, there is a tribal council, where they edited the whole episode to actually support the outcome. Didn't do the A or B is the target all episode, but C goes home.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jose Valasquez posted:

I haven't watched AUS but I find it hard to believe they are worse about this than the US version. It is really bad.

If there are two people left in an endurance challenge and one is wobbly and the other is rock solid then 9 times out of 10 the rock solid person will fall out of nowhere

It actually just makes since that this would naturally happen though. The person wobbling and struggling is actually focused on whatever endurance task they are trying to achieve.

The person that is steady and looks like they won't budge, they are the ones that will lose focus. And most of the endurance challenges are pretty much, lose focus for 2 seconds and you're out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

US Survivor needs to take the team endurance immunity challenges from Australian Survivor. They pretty much always turn into fun challenges to watch.

Also, season 40 baby! Sandra three time champ lets go.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Its kind of nice to see the producers not hide from the fact that these people have outside game influences going. Don't think they've really acknowledged that in other returnee seasons.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Its gotta be hard as gently caress having no fire, no food, no shelter and voting someone out in 24-36 hours. Insane.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

that one guy posted:

Did I miss them showing the votes?

Don't think they had the time, they went well past their time slot as it was.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

The token thing is really interesting now that we know they can be passed down from the eliminated players. It means not only can a really good social player net up a stash to use on an advantage but it means if you're picking off an alliance or group of outcasts you could be superpowering the last survivor.

Of course there's also the flip side that if you're the last person with no friends you gotta give someone you don't want to a gift.

I wonder what happens if someone with multiple tokens gets voted out. If you've got 4 tokens does someone get a huge cash in or do they just get reduced to 1?

From the end when they are voted out, there was chests of all the players that they put coins into. I assume, there would be nothing to prevent them from putting their coins in different chests to give out.

Also, if the EOE players are going to be selling advantages for coins (I guess anonymously for some reason), one can only assume that they must be planning on putting more coins into the game at some point.

As any MMO will tell you, you can't have a money sink without putting more into the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Someone else needs to win. That way in a couple seasons they can do a Sandra Vs whoever wins Redemption Island 2 or something else lovely like that.

Or do an Island of the Idols with the 2 time winners, but don't have a guy molesting the players and crew loving up the season.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spokes posted:

That is so, so weird. I mean, maybe they only hung out for an hour or two every three days to do the idols stuff but it still seems like an incredibly long con for not too much payoff by Rob

Yea, it's pretty weird from a gameplay perspective. I have to assume Rob thought it would be a funny joke, but then he and Sandra are on different tribes and Sandra is just there steaming wondering why her supposed friend lied to her.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rob says dump your bags out on the ground, you dump your bag out on the ground. Even if you're all winners, don't cross the cult of Rob.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Even though the edit hasn't necessarily shown it too much. It really does seem like Rob is playing the same game as he did in Redemption Island, but this time with all winners instead of mostly complete idiots. Somehow he is getting everyone stuck in the mob like mentality. Like people legit starting to think if they mention voting Rob out, they will end up being the ones on the chopping block.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pinterest Mom posted:

A thing about Danni is that the other old timers did legitimately seem to not be including her in stuff - the trio of Rob/Parv/Ethan talking strategy this week also happened a bit last week that we saw. It wasn't wrong for her to surmise that she was on the bottom of that four, but going immediately nuclear in the way she did was whew.

Yea, but of course she's going to be a bit on the outs of the main alliance. Of of the leaders of the alliance was her day 1 target.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For those still on the fence. Australian Survivor ran the classic auction this week... except it was before merge. Still individuals bidding on items for themselves, but each tribe had $2,000 bucks in their pool...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Russell was good for ratings. Jeff likes players that give the show good viewer ratings. More people watching Survivor = Jeff gets to ask for more money next time his contract is renewed. (I don't know the nature of Jeff's contracts existence or non existence though)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

this Russell was cool did he ever get another shot?

I have never understood why people liked Rupert

Rupert was quite honestly very good on Pearl Island. He was the pirate character in the pirate themed season of Survivor. I think the ability to like or not like Rupert as a Survivor player is going to come down to if you know him from Pearl Islands / All Stars or if you know him from his much shittier later appearances.

I mean people liked Rupert enough that CBS created the loving most liked player award so they could give Rupert a million bucks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

garthoneeye posted:

They allow merge tribes to be random, but they definitely haven’t had initial tribes be random. Either they have some sort of player draft or it’s preordained. They couldn’t keep the initial gender balance otherwise.

Yea they can keep it balanced. Just 1 set of bluffs for the women, 1 set of buffs for the men. Each set is even split. At least with the 20 player seasons, works perfect.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Sandra Bench

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Wow you guys have so much firewood"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SweetJahasus posted:

Am I the only one annoyed with how the editors made this big thing about Adam jumping to get those keys (despite failing a million times) when it was really Rob and Michele who won that challenge? Adam's carrying on about how tenacious he was but I mean dude your inability to perform almost lost your tribe the challenge. Yeah you kept going but....who wouldn't? Anyone who just laid down and stopped trying would be a shoo in to get voted out so you literally had no choice, and your ineptitude at JUMPING nearly lost your tribe the challenge.

Well Adam wasn't the only 1 responsible for grabbing the keys, but was the only one who seemed to be able to actually get the keys even though he struggled. So really, Adam did win the challenge for the tribe by overcoming his struggles with getting the keys.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SweetJahasus posted:

You could clearly see the flaws in the EoE model this past episode. Do you think that after the bonding experience that Nat/Amber/Danni/Ethan had with that dumb 15-minute-of-airtime hike that they'd vote for anyone else in the end of one of them was there (barring the obvious Amber voting for Rob)? No. They wouldn't. And that's exactly what happened last time when Chris got the golden ticket back from happy fun time on Edge where he didn't have to betray any of the jury and just had to hang out with them, with no consequences.

EoE is a bad concept, and it's pretty telling that Jeff has already said that it won't be back for 41-forward. It's just unfortunate that it had to be on this season, which is the culmination of what all of the fans have wanted.

Well if the cast of all winners lets someone come back from EOE and get to the end, that person deserves to win anyway.

Also, I think it's pretty safe to say the only reason why Extinction is back is because they wanted to get the most use out of their cast of all winners. Like it's hard to imagine too many of these players are going to come back in the future, so it's likely the last time you will see these folks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They often do the editing that way though. Probably 80% of the time if a tribe looks to be really far behind and Jeff keeps yelling it's gonna be a blowout, the tribe that's behind is gonna catch up and win.

Also, even though he struggled earlier in the season and it's been a few years, don't underestimate Rob and puzzles!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure there's definitely some legitimate challenges that have been thrown over the years. But I also feel like it's something that probably comes up in conversations reasonably often and is always something available for the editors to throw in to a story line.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sandra is one of the ones that in theory is a big threat, but unless you're a bunch of morons is always an option to get out later in the game.

But then again, it's an interesting dynamic with a season of all winners because they are all obviously threats to win the game. So it's like, at what point do you take 1 person out vs everyone else?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It is a great trio, 3 people that probably don't trust each other one bit gonna have to either work together or try to get with the girls.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So, getting rid of Rob in hindsight is probably the worst thing Ben and Adam could have actually done for their game. But sadly, they are unaware of the impossible battle they have now if they go to tribal... Sarah has a steal a vote and Sophie has an idol :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh word? Do you remember where they said that?

You're probably just thinking of the limited power idol Sandra bought from Natalie, which I believe is the only idol bought that way so far. Everything else has been an advantage of some sort.

Well there's been like 2 idols so far sold from EOE to players in the game for 1 fire token.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Wouldn't shock me if they just test everyone who's going to be going out there. Not like they have to worry much about it spreading to them from someone else at that point.

Seems good in theory, but there's so many camera crew and production people around that it seems like it would be a pretty serious risk from exploding before the end of the season.

Also, the real question is are we going to end up with a bunch of lovely reality TV shows come fall, as I'm assuming the scripted TV shows are going to be hurt pretty bad as well.

There is still a season of The Amazing Race in the can, hope that gets to air at some point.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but again the issue during the writer's strikes was "no writers" so cheap and easy reality tv was the natural answer. Here the issue is "can't assemble large groups of people." And besides the fact that lovely reality tv is basically built on the idea of throwing a bunch of people in a small space together and letting them drive each other insane they have huge crews.

IF this lasts for a long time (and I think there's a scenario where we streamline testing and mass produce hospital equipment to make it safe to leave your home again) then I think that's when CBS starts thinking about airing Twilight Zone and Star Trek or Amazon sees how much a network will pay to air Man In The High Castle.

But then again, there's shows like Big Brother, where all they need to do is get 16 people, a host, and I guess maybe they have some producers in the diary room maybe? And that's it, 3 months of TV. Can't be too difficult to get 16 people in isolation for 2-3 weeks, make sure they don't have corona and send them into the house.

Also, I think the big push for reality TV will be it's much quicker to make than a scripted show where they spend months writing, shooting, and editing 30 minute TV episodes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SteveVizsla posted:

The last time something like this happened tv-wise, with the big writer strike, we got the infamous BB season 9.

They have a completed TAR season? I know the one they were currently filming was stopped...

Yea, they've had a complete in the can season of TAR since at least a year I think. Pretty sure it was filmed and done when the last one was still airing. But it's the filler for whatever CBS show gets cancelled midseason.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BGrifter posted:

I should rewatch China. It’s been at least five years since my last viewing. Watched most of those seasons at least 7-8 times each, China is probably closer to 10-12.

Or I could dip my toe back into Australian Survivor. I remember watching the first two (I think?) seasons and really digging them. Lol Hungry Jacks.

Australian Survivor All Stars is wrapping up this week. It's been a pretty enjoyable season despite a pagonging. Also their seasons are like 24 hour+ long episodes to binge through...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's kind of hard to not argue that Production handed that season to Ben. The last idol he found, they hid it at a spot he was hanging out at on a regular basis. And then they revealed at final 4... that there would be a fire making challenge instead of being able to actually vote someone out of the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So do you take 3 advantages in the return challenge or take the idol and hope you win it outright?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I mean the reunion has been getting shorter over the recent seasons anyway. They could easily just do a few 1 on 1 interviews over videocoms ahead of time and play a few of those during the reunion. Although I think it will also be the first season in a while where they don't have any footage for the upcoming season preview...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The Australian survivor finale was today and the Host and one of the final two where teleconferenced in.

Yea, for anyone truly curious how it was handled, this was it. Although they only had about 14 people actually at the finale, and then 1 of the final 2 was teleconferenced from home and the Jonathan read the votes from a studio in LA...

Also it was a really good season of Survivor... highly recommend it.