Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

As badly as I want Sandra to win a third time, I know in my heart it won't happen. I'm rooting for Denise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They did that in China.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was thinking about Rob's comment about how he got screwed in Marquesas when they did a tribe swap, and started laughing because I just rewatched that season and remember him complaining the entire time after the swap that Vecepia was playing nice with the new tribe and ingratiating herself with them while he just made enemies. He really sucks when it comes to making social bonds and only knows how to play from the top.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If it's branded then they won't show it if there is no licensing deal.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think Sarah is well positioned. She has a good advantage to protect her, and I think Sophie is going to be a loyal ally to her given how well they worked when they got rid of Rob.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Society Game sometimes felt closer to what they were going for in Borneo. There was strategy in that game about who to get rid of, but since the final competition was a team comp, there was still consideration to making things work more like a meritocracy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Of the remaining players

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm all-in on wanting a Jeremy/Denise/Kim/Tony final four.

edit: with Kim/Denise f2.

I think Denise, Kim, and Jeremy probably have the strongest bonds at the moment to hold strong in coming votes. Im all in on Denise since all my other favs are out, but if Sophie pulls ahead that would be cool too.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I do think Sandra was legit bothered by Rob lying to her about returning for season 40 during their time on IoI, and wonder if she was staring down the barrel of having to be with him on top of simply never being someone who could win a challenge. I don't blame her for it either way, and good on her for looking at the situation and knowing she couldn't come back from it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

This assumes that the whole "I can't believe he didn't tell me he was coming back!" thing is legit, which I doubt. She's not that great of an actress and was trying to sell it way too hard in the early episodes. Absent a scene where she confronts him, either on EoE (which I imagine they'd have shown if it happened) or at the reunion or whatever, I'm of the belief that it was shtick.

I mean, if you think she was lying in her confessional, sure.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm hoping with the merge we start getting more time with the people still in the game. I'm sure editing this was a nightmare with so many personalities to track and not three tribes plus the edge to cut between. Some players that I really like haven't gotten a whole lot of airtime because they just haven't been to tribal a whole lot.

I wonder if they will include the immunity idol from extinction this time around when the player gets back into the game. Everyone should know that is a thing this time around.

Max fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 27, 2020

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I loved her just peacing out immediately.

I was thinking through where the three tribes are right now, and I'm hoping this will be a really difficult merge to navigate for everyone.

Of the remaining players, there are (from my view) two tight working relationships in Denise/Jeremy/Kim and Sophie/Sarah. Those will be difficult alliances to split up since they have both had situations where they worked well together and built trust without making too many waves. Nick and Michelle are OK but that seems to be an alliance of convenience since neither was really in danger that last tribal they sat in on.

I can see Tony jumping ship and joining up with Sarah again and we will maybe finally get Cop-R-Us going without it being cut short. Similarly, I just don't see Adam working well with Ben and can see him pealing off to work with Denise since that alliance seemed to work OK before the swap, though she did leave him out of the vote so he may feel uncomfortable there.

I'm not sure who Wendell has left in the game as a strong partnership except for Michelle, and his challenge prowess will probably lead to being a bigger problem for him in the long run.

Maybe tribal lines will remain when the merge happens, but I feel like this group is way too meta to care too much about those pre-swap allegiances. And then there's the wild card of whoever returns to the game from EoE.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Good luck convincing the living players if this, I guess.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Once someone wins their way back in and it's known that Extinction is over, everyone at extinction will give them all their fire tokens to rep the Old Schoolers

Or, they would if production doesn't make a rule about it

I wonder if people will have learned from EoE and immediately try to boot the person that returns, because that is a solid group over there.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm really hoping the remaining players take one look at the EoE/Jury and dismiss that thought from their mind immediately.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

You never know how things will turn in Survivor and with some time but Denise seemed genuinely bothered by Adam ratting to Rob and selling her out. I think Adam made the kind of mistake that can be fatal by betraying so many people so early in the game, and not even having it work out. That can make a lasting impression and Denise was trusting Adam with her idol stuff before that so it leaves a mark. But stuff changes, Adam might be desperate for allies, Denise might need numbers or be able to get past it. But its possible Adam's got a better chance with people he hasn't burned.

Oh yeah, I think Adam is going to be the one to come running to that group if it happens, and she may string him along as a number, who knows. But Adam has played from the bottom before and made it. I just don't feel like he's getting the winner edit at the moment, but we haven't hit the merge yet so who knows. The editors have certainly been taking any chance they can to make fun of him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like Sarah is actually playing well so far.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I am hoping that they long segment on what would happen if anyone from that tribe would do if they return to the game was to set up Yul getting back in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They apparently do allow people to have rain gear now after Purple Kelly.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://youtu.be/C2lSaIVsJRs

Also Sarah borrowed Zeke’s jacket in game changers then voted him out and wore it the rest of the time at tribal to flex.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah like, imagine if Ethan somehow returns and gets back in with the relationships he's formed on EoE. They would vote him to win if he's sitting at Final Tribal.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think the major difference between Redemption and Edge is that, at least with Redemption island you are constantly being tested to stay in the game, so being voted out early comes with a heavier penalty of having to survive more challenges before you are allowed back in, and feels more "deserving" (whatever that means) and is also simply more entertaining. Edge gives a lot more screen time to people voted out to provide nice emotional scenes and talk about their struggle on the edge, but at the end of the day, they just need to endure starvation conditions to make it to the final challenge to get back in, which is not good television if you were looking for strategy and gameplay.

The big thing from the first time Edge came around that really stunk was that the eventual winner was someone who was voted out really early. I kind of found Rick annoying but I wouldn't have been disappointed if he had won at the end, even if he had been one of the edge returnees. And if someone who had been voted out more recently returned it probably wouldn't have stunk so much if they eventually won. It being the third boot of the entire game that ended up taking it was the part that really sucked.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Big Taint posted:

Rick was the first Edge returnee.

Yes?

Edit: Oh I see I didn’t make it clear. Chris, the third boot, was the disappointing winner. I know Rock was the first one to return.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Denise please get involved in this conversation.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh my god

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They’ve been going out of their way to include moments of him being a klutz this season, I’m glad that built to something.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Imagine a world where Fabio was on this season with Adam.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They cut the second ball from that challenge again.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They actively got angry at one tribe for having really bad fortifications since it put the crew in danger. Season 2 extended the game by another three days and you can definitely see it during the final 3 segment, they all look like they are about to keel over at any second.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Season 3 is maybe the first moment where you see people kind of break from voting down tribal lines, but there isn't a lot of interesting game play since people were mostly worried about not being killed by the wildlife. I think no one really had a chance to leave camp to chat as much as in other locations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Stokes posted:

The one scene I always remember from Africa is a post merge episode where Tom, Frank, Ethan and a few others went out to get water and they see this huge bison (?). As soon as they spot it the game immediately stopped. They froze in place and everyone went from Survivor contestants to human beings trying not to die.

That one and the iconic "Ethan has to stay awake all night and mind the shelter because they can hear a pack of hungry animals in the darkness" scene always gets to me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

when i saw the first of ten families come out i was thinking "gently caress this is going to be a fifteen minute segment of people crying isn't it?" little did i know it was going to be a TWENTY minute segment of people crying and sloppily making out.

then there was ANOTHER ten minute segment of people crying and sloppily making out.

In the pre-season interviews Tyson mentioned that one of the things he pushed for was seeing his kids during the family visit, and that the producers eventually agreed but only if they made the option available to everyone in the game. We can blame Tyson for that segment.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't mind whispering when it's done well. A quick whisper session in Blood v Water lead to an exciting rock draw.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I mean, it’s like that season of big brother with Victor. He would have been a good winner even after being evicted twice and coming back both times.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I agree that EoE needs to go, but if they are going to put it in the game then I want it to end with the first person voted out coming back right at the end and winning because that's just the logical end point of including it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I think all things considered Sarah's playing fine. Tony hosed her over and took away her other big ally in Sophie and caused her to burn others. So like, what she's planning for her end game at F6 is probably totally different than what she was planning at F9. She had to go in with Tony because he made it that way. Michelle was right to try and play the "you can't beat him" angle (and probably right about the premise) but I don't think it really would have made sense for Sarah to try and make a move there. There's no clear sign they would have had the votes, there was no real trust with Michelle so she could have just been setting her up, Tony has an idol and a bunch of people who snitch to him, and even if they had got Tony out there Sarah could then have been at the mercy of "the hyenas".

Sarah's gotta find a time to cut Tony but she really doesn't have the position to do that now, thanks to Tony. If she doesn't recognize how Tony will get credit for that and his other moves she's making a crucial and arrogant mistake, but its possible she's just sitting on it and waiting for her chance. Or that she knows she has to do it but doesn't see a way to do pull it off. And of course with Tony having an idol and the fire making challenge she's only got 1 chance to do it and she'd be back in the same lovely situation of having no real allies.

So if you're Sarah do you risk it all to try and take out Tony right now even though it could all blow up in your face and have you finish 6th or 5th? Or do you ride it out with Tony, hope he loses at F4, or you can beat him in front of the jury? I don't think there's a clear answer there.

Sometimes you just get beat with a better hand and up in a lovely situation. That's kind of where Sarah's at. She really hasn't made any kind of crucial mistake. Tony just made a big move to try and cut off her options and it worked so now she's here.

I think she may be waiting to see who comes back in the game before deciding how to make that move, but I largely agree with you, she's played a good game this season all things considered.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I honestly think if it hadn't been Chris that returned and won, and maybe Reem or someone who's story was better than "I just wish I had played a perfect game" and then stupidly getting booted 3rd, people may have been more sympathetic to EoE. He's just completely bland as a character.

Personally, I'm in the camp of "if you're voted out, you're done" but have generally been OK with how they've brought people back in the past. Redemption is OK from an entertainment and story perspective since the people there are actively competing to stay in the game, instead of just surviving on a separate island. Even the ghost tribe returnees in Pearl Island was fine since that happened early enough.

Natalie has stuck it out and the fact that she is still outpacing people in physical challenges on EoE who have had extra days of more nutrition than she has is astonishing, and her story of having extracted 6 fire tokens from Tony, who is still in the game, could actually play in to FTC if she gets there.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's maybe the most frustrating point, there is a seed of a good idea there and I can see it working with some retooling, but as it stands now it works mostly to just keep personalities in the game that have been voted out, and how the jury gets affected, as you said.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Someone got Sandra to do a Cameo about her saying "nope" to EoE and why she gave Denise the idol: link

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spokes posted:

It was secret in the first EoE season which was pretty neat, I don't remember exactly how the reveal went, my entire recollection is keith breaking down in front of the sign chanting "come on, God"

They walk down the path that usually heads to the doctor's tent and ponderosa, and they stuck a sign in the road that said "go this way for extinction."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spokes posted:

Yeah, I meant how did they reveal it to the remaining players

Ah,

First time the remaining players found out was the comp that Devens won. I think they just marched the EoE players out and revealed it right there.