Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

good op

pony: tyson
poison: ben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SweetJahasus posted:

Oh man, if you haven't listened to the RHAP Know It Alls for this episode, it's worth it if for nothing more than the Shane Powers rant about 18 minutes in.

is that the part where he tells everyone to shut the gently caress up? I gave it until after Kelly and Lauren but it was still unlistenable because of the constant chatter in the background.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

xbilkis posted:

The jar of peanut butter is what jumped out at me as a good value in those circumstances

if the jar is unstealable, like idols/etc, that seems pretty great just stick it in your bag. it'll keep forever, too, unlike a pizza.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also interesting is that Danni also gave Denise her token.
Weird that Danni (assumedly) had no pre-game alliance and gave her token to someone that voted for her.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Adus posted:

well, i do agree with this. i can't even imagine how he would play this.

to be fair, neither would fabio

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Brenda did come back so it's not like they shafted the season completely. But Nicaragua doesn't have a lot of 'we need them back' people. Maybe Marty, maybe Fabio... and I'm not sure who else. Holly and Sash aren't quite compelling enough.

wasn't there some whole controversy about Sash and the reason he got no votes at FTC?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I said this about Adam in the thread the last time he played and it still stands.

quote:

He has ideas about how to endear others to him, but no idea how to execute them.

It's like he heard someone on Rob Has a Podcast say "use an in-game advantage to gain trust" and used it on the one guy that hates him most.

Then later he gave the advantage away for no reason!

He gave back Denise's idol half and she doesn't like him any more because of it. He's playing like he's a mastermind but he doesn't have the charisma for it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Also Denise wanted to share her idol with Parv so that's why she was likely more amenable to an Ethan vote.

Wish I could live poo poo post with you goons but AEW Dynamite is on at the same time and it's the best wrestling of all time, so I watch that live and catch Survivor on the DVR after, also pinball league is on every other Wednesday so it's my busiest night!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I haven't noticed players themselves calling themselves the Parv of their seasons, so much as it is when dudes in any season get together and point fingers at a woman and call her the PArv so they can get her out. Seems more like a label threatened dudes use more than the women who get labelled with it do.

in the pre game interviews/bios, it was like a 40+ percent hit rate that a woman would answer Parvati to "which previous Survivor are you most like"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Stokes posted:

I'm waiting for some bitter betty to get to the fire token thing and say 'no.' What are they gonna do make them leave the game? it's not like they'll be getting any votes as a goat in the final 3 anyway.

yeah and maybe they also shouldn't vote for a winner at the end either!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Popero posted:

I've got no love for Rob generally, but I was actually sad to see him go.

Not me!!!!!!!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Ben always has a big-rear end bandaid on his right shoulder, even in previous seasons. It looks to be to cover up a non-airable tattoo; anybody know what?

John Deere logo apparently?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

aidoru posted:

I missed parts of the tail-end of this episode. Why did Sandra give Denise an idol? I managed to catch the tribal but I missed that scene.

Sandra's idol was a gift from Edge and expired tonight. She wanted to cash it out to Denise for two tokens because she thought she was safe tonight.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Oh hell yeah I'm ready for another season of Solitary, the best reality show that involved torturing its contestants!

https://www.geek.com/television/remembering-solitary-the-cruelest-sci-fi-reality-show-ever-made-1730987/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

precision posted:

In the greatest cosmic irony, the next season cast and crew are literally the only survivors of the world collapse

Now that would end up as a weird society in a couple hundred years. Worshipers of Bah'Stuhn'Rahb.

that's basically what's happening in German and Canadian Big Brother

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/no-news-is-good-news-big-brother-germany-cut-off-from-covid-19

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

has to be Sandra's head though

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

freeman posted:

I think Sophie was a fine winner and a good player. Not her fault her season was kinda poo poo and she had to put up with the Coach cult the whole game.

Tyson and Natalie are the only players on EoE that I wish were still in the game. Never really bought into the Rob or Parvati hype and think they're massively overrated as players. Parvati wouldn't have even won her season if it was a F3.

Sophie was a great winner BECAUSE she defeated coach while he was being his coachiest

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

curiousCat posted:

actually, you know what the optimal move might be there?

vote for jeremy and then play the idols. make the other three openly plead their case to each other and slander each other while she and jeremy just sit pretty

literally two people will vote for the 3rd and then you're still at 2-2

so you made the exact same play, but you didn't get to pick who went home AND those two will be more trustworthy of each other because they voted together to keep each other alive

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

e.martin posted:

Which is why it might be time to stop with the returning players thing. If you are "too good" or too big a threat you dont stand a chance.

that has nothing to do with returning players, all the too good players on recent seasons also get voted out early, except Wendel and Dom where instead people screamed JUST VOTE THEM OUT ALREADY at their tvs for a month straight.

perhaps the best skill of a Survivor is to not be too good?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cirie isn't a threat, you can vote her out whenever you want because she'll never win an immunity challenge

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Wanna know who did the Koreaboo "Yul hyung" vote

gotta make sure you dont confuse him with any of the other Yuls on the season

Robnoxious posted:

Had to be Nick cause we saw Wendell's vote and the other Yul vote was more "girl-like" lettering if that makes sense.

it doesn't make sense

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

I knew this was going to come up.

Women's handwriting has more broadstrokes and flair whether they intend it or not.

Having been raised in a household being the only male sibling with two older sisters I've been accustomed to my very basic and utilitarian way of writing (The "Yul Hyung" Vote Nick made) versus than that of my sister's.
Michelle didn't need to leave hearts and sparkles and glitter as her vote was revealed (which was the last one shown) to prove to me that vote was hers.
It was.
And I'll leave it as that.

:biotruths: lmaoooooooo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Yammer on all you want... the Yul hyung vote was Nicks and I stand by my reasoning (albeit as flimsy as you want to contend).
Prove me wrong and I'll :toxx:

I'm not wrong tho.

quoting this for so they can't edit

here's the three votes from last week:

Here's tonight's Yul votes:

conveniently, "Parvati" and Yul Hyung" share no letters, so we'll have to wait to see the votes and root for a ban

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can’t remember hating someone on this show as much as I hate Wendell right now.

The conversations with Michele reveal a lot about him, unfortunately. It’s kinda gross to watch.

must have been nice to not watch Varner in game changers or that fuckin grabby creep from last season

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shneak posted:

I blocked most of S38 from my brain—didn't the edit and Jeff rail hard against Wendy/Keith from qutting EoE? Though the scenario here is pretty different, Sandra is well aware of everyone on the island and knows drat well she can't beat them unless it's strictly a puzzle.

It was at least after the merge challenge and I don't remember anyone that mattered giving them poo poo but I might be painting over what actually happened with my own opinions?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Once someone wins their way back in and it's known that Extinction is over, everyone at extinction will give them all their fire tokens to rep the Old Schoolers

Or, they would if production doesn't make a rule about it

prob the same rule that lets you get voted out with an idol in your pocket and not pass it to someone

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

The game is afoot

well i got some bad news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE6-icp-vgk

Robnoxious lives to post shittily another day

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

bbf2 posted:

Survivor S40: Yul Never Believe Who's Gone :smith:

Maybe he'll escape from ioi and we can leave the title the way it is? :unsmith:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Look the first time was a surprise to players and audience alike, but the EoE is part of the game.

I'm reminded of when MtG introduced the term exile, replacing "removed from the game entirely". Now exile is just another zone, and occasionally things can come back into play!

If you got blindsided by this fact at a tourney somehow, that would be shocking and maybe seem unfair, but the game is just expanded slightly. The rules are known. Cope.

hey can you link me to the survivor comprehensive rules, and tournament rules? thanks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

oh that's way shorter than the rules for how to play magic the gathering, which is 230+ pages, and then another 50-some for rules on how tournaments are run, and easily available online.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Look the first time was a surprise to players and audience alike, but the EoE is part of the game.

I'm reminded of when MtG introduced the term exile, replacing "removed from the game entirely". Now exile is just another zone, and occasionally things can come back into play!

If you got blindsided by this fact at a tourney somehow, that would be shocking and maybe seem unfair, but the game is just expanded slightly. The rules are known. Cope.

but truly the dumbest part of this post is that things could come back from "removed from the game entirely" zone like seven years before the term exile was coined.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Indeed, attack an irrelevant detail of something that was already a vague comparison lol. You remember dates that magic card things happened better than I. You got me!

no i just looked it up, rather than spew off about something i didn't know

it was a real fuckin bad comparison though

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I fired a gun into a crowd but missed everyone so it was a safe thing to do

this analogy thing really isn't working for you

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Oh it’s definitely smart gameplay. It’s just a lot less fun to watch on TV.

What were the good seasons where someone ran it all the way through?

Redemption Island was the last one i can think of, and it was boring as poo poo because they cast 3 capable people and a dozen different flavours of jello.

A major flaw of Survivor, as a show, is that it isn't willing to tell a cohesive story. The structure of the show is about the suspense of who gets voted out at the end of an episode, so they edit it together to NOT make it clear what is happening. It stitches together a bunch of false narratives to obscure what will happen, but doesn't explain the truth afterwards. That's why you end up with winners like Tommy from 39 who had an incredible social game* that we never see on tv.

All the advantages in the game facilitate this story telling because even if they show how votes are going to fall, you still have the tension of "will they play the advantage?", or even in the case of the 50/50 idol, "will the advantage even work?"

*according to his post show interview on RHAP, which is heavily biased and not canon

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

On the other hand if we had no Edge of Extinction then all those old school players people are upset are gone would be gone quicker and the more low key players would have been more of the show.

Not seeing the problem here. Some of the old school people have been on FIVE seasons before this, and they've had their time in the sun.

Much like pro wrestling, you have to make new stars, and you're not going to accomplish that by making old people the focus of your product even when the game has passed them by.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Lmao

I'm made out of fast and sloppy

TV IV › Survivor S40: I'm made out of fast and sloppy

sure was fuckin great we got like, 4 minutes of gameplay this episode

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah it's a real shame we didn't have enough TV time to find out why Michele and Nick ended up where they were

we absolutely needed 30 minutes to see which parents are weird pervs and kiss their children on the mouth

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

That's not normal for my family either but this is some horseshit and you should honestly be ashamed of yourself

I was being sarcastic, we didn't actually need 30 minutes, they could have just done a weird perv montage and wrapped it up in like 45 seconds

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vernacular posted:

It's pretty wild that legitimate criticisms about segment length are being used to call one's overall compassion and empathy into question, as if it's weird not to rely on a heavily stage-managed, strategy-based reality show for one's regular "dose" of humanity, or something.

I generally like the segment more than I don't (and having the kids out there was a nice touch), but up until this season they had at least been able to present it effectively while also fitting everything (including the challenge/reward component, which imo is a crucial part of the whole deal) into a reasonable timeframe, so their inability to do so this time around is disappointing.

when i saw the first of ten families come out i was thinking "gently caress this is going to be a fifteen minute segment of people crying isn't it?" little did i know it was going to be a TWENTY minute segment of people crying and sloppily making out.

then there was ANOTHER ten minute segment of people crying and sloppily making out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

just stick lapel mics on them and close caption what they say