Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

I say this every year but Survivor Australia really deserves a watch. Episode three of this season was just crazy and winners season aside puts the American version to shame.

Came her to plug this. It was one of the best episodes in the shows history (US included). Also works really well as a standalone episode. Please please please watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SweetJahasus posted:

Or, and this may be a weird and unorthodox idea, don't have EoE at all and once you're out you're out?

SweetJahasus posted:

(Also, another plug for AUS Survivor - it's already soooooo good. I'm not even caught up yet but drat this seasons is amazing already)

Edge of Extinction also completely stifles big moves. These two sentences are a perfect example. There is no way the events that occurred in episode 3 would have happened if EoE existed. People are going to know there was a rat as soon as they go back to EoE and you aren't going to stab someone in the back when you know a) they'll be on the Jury and b) they could return to the game.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

I do find it interesting that production had avoided grouping too many previous connections on the same tribe for returnee seasons, yet we had the Nat/ Jeremy and Sandra/ Tony/ Sarah combos.

Australian Survivor did the same thing which goes against conventional wisdom in their current All Stars season and it's worked a treat. Instead of putting rivals on opposite tribes, they've paired them all together and it's been brilliant so far.

Also, if anyone is after a decent premiere recap because RHAP was trash, give the Global Survivor podcast a go which is hosted by Shannon from the Australian Survivor Pod. You can find it on the Reality RHAP feed or just click this https://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-global-winners-at-war-premiere-recap-lisa-stanger/

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

Do we even know for sure Rob actually said that? My first assumption was she made it up entirely so she could have a reason to go after Amber.

There is no way she would keep up the ruse in her confessionals if that were the case.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SteveVizsla posted:

Denise played that dumping bags nonsense wonderfully, and Adam did a fantastic job pulling the attention away from her.

SteveVizsla posted:

It was intentional. He didn't seem to have the idol on him, so even if they started calling him out and wanting to closely look at his stuff, nothing was going to happen. Meanwhile everyone is looking at him, so no one is looking at Denise.
He 100% would have had the idol him. He was just lucky enough to be sitting on the far right. He seems to have got away with it, but he really should have kept his mouth shut because everything he said then sounded sketchy as hell.

I really wish someone (not with an idol obviously) had have just said "hold up people, don't empty your bags, this is ridiculous. I'll show my bag to demonstrate I'm not saying this because I've got an idol, but the rest of you people need to stop getting sucked into this Rob spell."

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I just think people don’t give Rob enough credit that he’s just a really good social player. He always has been. In Marquesas he had social control of his tribe until the swap screwed him.
I'm not a fan of this narrative. His game had a ton of flaws in Marquesas. I also don't think it's right to say he got swap screwed. He was in a lovely position at the swap because his tribe lost every single tribal council. He went to the swap tribe with all but one of his alliance. If his social game was that strong, I feel like he could have swept up a bottom feeder or two from the other side (if I recall, they imploded as soon as Rob left so there must have been cracks). That's not to say his social game didn't improve in subsequent seasons, but it really wasn't there in Marquesas.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I think they've always been given the same bag. Fishback commented last night that the bag he was given for second chances was shithouse and fell apart but the one he got for Tocantins held up quite well.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nerox posted:

I've watched a few Australian Survivor episodes this season, the challenges are so much better than American Survivor now, its just so drat hard to keep up with 90 minute episodes every night it seems.

It's only 3 nights a week now, which is a lot better than previous. I'm actually desperate for some Survivor come Monday, having the in some form airing Mon-Thurs is awesome but every Sunday night I sit there wishing I had an episode to watch.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The on set tantrums have been happening for 30+ seasons

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
"maybe it's time" suggests he was one way and now he's another and it's affected the show as a result. This isn't the case.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I don't think we'll even notice the 26 days from a format perspective. Theyll just chuck out the day that doesn't have immunity/reward.

Hope it doesn't become the norm though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm currently in the middle of watching Australian Survivor 2016. My thoughts: I only care about Nick, nobody else. 24 people is too many, and even now in episode 10 when they've whittled it down, there are still a lot of people who are getting a Purple Kelly edit. I did spoil myself and see that Nick is the first jury member and returns for Australian Survivor All Stars (which I didn't see how he does), but he reminds me a lot of Rob Cesternino.

Whilst the extra episodes/days does help with expanding on camp life/character stuff, the producers of Australian Survivor definitely still have their favourites, with some massively lopsided edits. Last season, there was players in the final 6 with something like 25 confessionals VS a player with something like 140. Granted, the 140 confessional player is one of the most captivating characters the show has ever had, but it still makes you a little sad to see.

Take solace in the fact that 2016 is a pretty weak season, with a bunch of non-players preaching honour and mateship (as seen with Nick's frustrations). Future seasons do a pretty good job of rectifying this, and AU Survivor 2017 is regarded as the best of the 2016-2020 seasons amongst the Survivor die-hards. Some would make the argument 2018 is the better season, but either way, you're in for a treat moving forward.

If want to be super ensconced in AU Survivor, Nick hosts the AU version of Know-It-Alls from the next season (available on the RHAP international survivor podcast feed) in which he does a great job of doing weekly recaps (which are normally blocks of 3 episodes). Shannon Gates/Gus takes over the season after (in addition to covering every international season of Survivor), who you've no doubt heard on Rob's podcasts if you listen on a semi-regular basis, who is one of the best voices in the entire Survivor community.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
New promo for AU Survivor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2CCHgooSs

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I pray he gets a go on US survivor. I think he has a green card so it could maybe be possible?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Did a double take there, but turns out there is multiple people in Australia named Flick that want to be on Survivor Australia...

I've never once met someone in real life that goes by Flick, but apparently so! (It's short for Felicity)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SweetJahasus posted:

He lives & works in the US, I believe, so I can't see why not. Casting would really be doing themselves a disservice to not inquire, at least.

He moved back to Perth last year with his family. As of his season recap podcast anyway. He seemed to indicate it was semi permanent ant least and I can't imagine the pandemic would have made him change his mind.

Edit: oh god, just saw he's about to Celebrity Apprentice. Lame.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 8, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wait til you see the godawful twist! (althought you might have already got there)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SweetJahasus posted:

Also Russell is salty as hell about his AUS experience because he is a child and a fool. I wouldn't believe anything he says and certainly wouldn't be listening to his ravings on youtube. He's the posterchild for delusion.

I seem to recall several people on the season saying he was full of poo poo about a bunch of things he said about his AU Survivor as result of his saltiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

Survivor barely focuses on the surviving part anymore so whatever feed them like pigs and watch them throw up each challenge I say.

There is an element of this, but I don't think it can understated how much food deprivation, long boring days on a desert island away from family and friends, terrible whether and being in a constant state of paranoia can wear away at a person. The 30+ days can dramatically affect how someone would otherwise play the game as a result. It's these reasons I'm not so quick to pull the trigger on the "just do whatever, it's not like we see any of it anyway"