Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Only 5 more hours of gameplay and I’ll have officially played ACNH for 5,000 hours.

I can only assume by this point that when you're playing the game, it's like Neo seeing the Matrix. :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

magimix posted:

I can only assume by this point that when you're playing the game, it's like Neo seeing the Matrix. :captainpop:

Animal Crossinception.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I should dip back into the game at some point. Am I right in thinking New Horizons is relatively gentle to lapsed players, versus the older games? I don't mind coming back to a somewhat overgrown mess, if all my residents will still be there / improvements haven't somehow decayed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The rules for villagers leaving is very lenient in new horizons. They need to talk to you before they are able to move and if they can't find you to talk about moving, they forget about moving.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

magimix posted:

I should dip back into the game at some point. Am I right in thinking New Horizons is relatively gentle to lapsed players, versus the older games? I don't mind coming back to a somewhat overgrown mess, if all my residents will still be there / improvements haven't somehow decayed.

I came back to it after lapsing for like year. Nothing like that whatsoever. You'll have some weed growth, and your residents will all say something like "Oh, you're back [player!] It's been [x number of months/years] since I saw you last. How ya been?" the first time you talk to them. And then business as usual.

No one will have moved and everything will be like you left it. Some of your flowers might have died? I am honestly unsure how that works. I turned on the ordinance that makes flowers never wilt immediately and never looked back.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Your character's hair will be a bit of a mess for thirty seconds (and give you a new hairstyle option). You'll have cockroaches in your house until you step on them. And the first time you talk to each of your villagers they'll mention it's been a while.

That's it. Two or three minutes of gameplay and it'll be like you never left.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
That all sounds reaonable enough; thanks for the info!

I don't know if I'll get mad into the game, like back in the day, but I need more comfy gaming in my life, so of course New Horizons is one of the options. (Along with Astroneer, that I'm also curious to go back to).

Edit: If I recall, the last 'major' project I had when I was still playing was flower hybridisation. I wonder if I've still got my notes and spreadsheet for that... :v:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

magimix posted:

I stopped coming back to my Gamecube AC game for a couple of weeks and expected a post on the board about how a roving gang had come to town and shotgun murdered Tom Nook and how it would have been prevented if only I had been there. The town is razed, only smoldering rubble lay where the post office once was...

Yeah, the older games were a tad dramatic.
NH is like "yeah go pull weeds you absentee landlord".

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
wrong thread oops

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 20, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is there a way to turn off those annoying arrival/departure animations for island visitors? or are they hiding some spaghetti network code

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

kecske posted:

is there a way to turn off those annoying arrival/departure animations for island visitors? or are they hiding some spaghetti network code

It's the latter.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How do the ac amiibo cards work?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pretty well

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ZeusCannon posted:

How do the ac amiibo cards work?

Go to Town Hall, tell Isabelle you want to invite an amiibo visitor. It will prompt you to tap the card on the RF reader on the controller.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
weird request: does anyone have any spare yellow/white pumpkins

im doing the turkey day event right now on a new island and i forgot to plant pumpkins. they're the last secret ingredients i need and the villagers are NOT loving giving them to me, and my other switch is dead

fixed

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 23, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Blaziken386 posted:

weird request: does anyone have any spare yellow/white pumpkins

im doing the turkey day event right now on a new island and i forgot to plant pumpkins. they're the last secret ingredients i need and the villagers are NOT loving giving them to me, and my other switch is dead

fixed

I do, if you still need them

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I just restarted my acnh island, so this is island number 3 :getin:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
So how much did it sting the first time you nuked your existing island?

I tried getting back into ACNH a while back, but ultimately, I'd done everything I wanted to with my island, so I had a bit of a run around, but I was really just a tourist. I truly do think I'd enjoy going through all that early stuff again (not unlike starting a new farm in Stardew), but I've not managed to get over the 'hump' of deleting something I've spent 850 hours with.

Maybe I just need to psyche myself up and, as it were, rip off the plaster quickly.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

magimix posted:

So how much did it sting the first time you nuked your existing island?

I tried getting back into ACNH a while back, but ultimately, I'd done everything I wanted to with my island, so I had a bit of a run around, but I was really just a tourist. I truly do think I'd enjoy going through all that early stuff again (not unlike starting a new farm in Stardew), but I've not managed to get over the 'hump' of deleting something I've spent 850 hours with.

Maybe I just need to psyche myself up and, as it were, rip off the plaster quickly.

The first time was very anxiety inducing tbh. It felt like a massive loss. I loved my island, part of it was featured in a YouTube video, I'd spent *hours* on it. But trouble was I'd run out of room to do the things I needed to do. So I saved the DA, deleted the save data, and honestly never regretted it for a second.

Early game vibes are immaculate, I'm enjoying it all over again for the 3rd time!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

As I told people in the discord way back when, the game is for playing. No point having a picture perfect island you don't interact with

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Chewbecca posted:

The first time was very anxiety inducing tbh. It felt like a massive loss. I loved my island, part of it was featured in a YouTube video, I'd spent *hours* on it. But trouble was I'd run out of room to do the things I needed to do. So I saved the DA, deleted the save data, and honestly never regretted it for a second.

Early game vibes are immaculate, I'm enjoying it all over again for the 3rd time!

Of *course*! My island's dream code... Okay, I'm going to generate fresh 'dream' of my island, and get it done. I'll still need to psyche myself up a little bit, but I'm sure I've got it in me :v:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yes! Do a runaround, get everything in order, upload your DA, and then enjoy your new island! :yeah:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
It is done! :black101: Skyhold is no more than a fond rememberance. And a dream code: DA-3752-3683-4323

Very much looking forward to starting the new island, which I will name after the Isle of Skye.

Edit: Shari and Pierce are my first two residents on the new island. Funnily enough, Pierce was a former resident of Skyhold (who I invited there from "Sharkfarts". Look, I have a spreadsheet, okay).

magimix fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Congrats!! Enjoy the new island!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chewbecca posted:

As I told people in the discord way back when, the game is for playing. No point having a picture perfect island you don't interact with

You know I might do this- I love my neighbors and there are some things I really enjoy about my island (including the items that I have that were a huge pain in the rear end to originally get) but it might be nice to start over. The main thing I'll have to find again is that site that allows you to take scan a photo and turn it into an image that is usable in game; I have a picture of my cat Lulu who passed away last November and she was my flag. I'd like to keep that.

Also I know that Nintendo has announced they are turning off servers for ACNH soon but does that mean that there will be no more visiting people's islands and Dream Codes will be gone? Will the ability to upload clothing patterns to share with people be gone as well?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You know I might do this- I love my neighbors and there are some things I really enjoy about my island (including the items that I have that were a huge pain in the rear end to originally get) but it might be nice to start over. The main thing I'll have to find again is that site that allows you to take scan a photo and turn it into an image that is usable in game; I have a picture of my cat Lulu who passed away last November and she was my flag. I'd like to keep that.

Also I know that Nintendo has announced they are turning off servers for ACNH soon but does that mean that there will be no more visiting people's islands and Dream Codes will be gone? Will the ability to upload clothing patterns to share with people be gone as well?

Can't you upload your flag as a design? Then you can download it from wherever (if I'm understanding your quest)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What the hell :negative: It hasn't even been out for 4 full years! Why are they turning the servers off already?

Also, goondolences about your cat :smith:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 3, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's the servers for new *leaf*

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I have not heard of plans to shut down ACNH servers. They may have stopped updating the game, but it's still a major pillar in the Nintendo Switch's library. Source?

edit: okay i see lol

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 3, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flatluigi posted:

Oh phew! I went to a friend's house a few weeks ago and we toured each other's islands. I'd hate to lose that capability.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah they're finally closing down online services for 3ds and wii, which includes the 14 year old animal crossing new leaf. you shouldn't need to worry about switch titles losing online services until well after their next console comes out, and it's both not announced yet and speculated to still support switch games

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh no, my New Leaf town :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

flatluigi posted:

OH THANK gently caress

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

They're still selling the game retail, they're hardly gonna shut down the servers lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

eating only apples posted:

Oh no, my New Leaf town :(

i mean, you'll still be able to play it, you just won't be able to visit other town unless/until other people figure out a way to emulate nintendo's services. the store's already down so go ahead and set your 3ds up for homebrew for poo poo like that in the future

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Chewbecca posted:

Congrats!! Enjoy the new island!

Happily, I was grinning from the opening scene onwards; the game got its hooks right back into me in no time at all. It'll be super interesting to experience things all the way through, but this time with all the content there from the start.

Just having a relaxing Sunday morning, shaking trees and catching fish. I'd forgotten about the 2-day move in thing, so when Blathers has finally moved in, I'll have stacks of creatures to hand over.

Exactly the kind of cozy gaming I need right now.

magimix fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 4, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I think restarting is cool as hell is you don't feel the same urge to rush through everything. You've seen it before, so now you can appreciate it.

Cos I wfh mostly I'm looking forward to playing in my lunch break lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i still play my island from time to time, but i think i enjoyed building it up more than i've enjoyed maintaining and perfecting it so i have given serious though to starting a new island.

if i do that however it'll be when i buy a switch oled so that i can keep my original island on my animal crossing edition switch.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does New Horizons guilt trip you like previous games if you start over?

This talk of starting a new island has me considering it too. Ended up burning out a while back with an island redesign that left everything kinda messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does New Horizons guilt trip you like previous games if you start over?

This talk of starting a new island has me considering it too. Ended up burning out a while back with an island redesign that left everything kinda messy.

Nope, you just delete your save data on the switch, then when you restart the game it's like you're playing it for the first time

Just remember to save your dream address first if you want the ability to revisit your islands via dream