Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Gonna be sharing an island with my husband and it's gonna be great! :dance: He has his own Switch, but we're sharing because he likes designing things but gets burned out on the daily stuff. I like doing the daily stuff and making slow progress, but I'm rubbish at designing things.

Therefore, together we will make the best island the world has ever seen! Just stuck on what to name it. Help.

Bonezone is the name of every co-owned couple town I've had in A/C. Including one that now has two exes in the same town, one who was in the middle of raiding the older one but didn't have space in house for most of it, so my town became littered with furniture leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Wait, I never really looked closely at this video until now, but look at this god drat island map:

I was worried after the demonstration map that things were going to have to be kind of basic, but that's a super exciting layout! I want that!

Original map for comparison:

So with a sample size of two, some things I suspected have been semi-confirmed. For whatever reason you start out without access to cliffs. The airport/Nook area is between two branching rivers. That means you need to craft a vaulting pole to actually go up and touch a cliff.

Why is that important? Pine trees have only been shown growing on top of cliffs. All of the trees on the lower level have been leafy trees.

So we've basically confirmed that there's an exploration aspect that's tied in with crafting and stuff. You craft stuff to get to new areas, and those areas have materials that let you craft other things. Presumably there's a way to scale cliffs, but even if it's easy to do/craft, you need a vaulting pole to even get to the cliffs.

This is, as everything about this game, exciting and worrying at the same time. I love the idea of expanding my area of influence on the island. Discovering rugged new untamed areas and expanding my central development out into those areas over time, eventually putting in bridges and stairs to connect it all together. That sounds delightful. However I do not like the idea of being constrained between two rivers and a beach to start with. I want to build my first tent on more exciting terrain! As long as your tent isn't the place you have to build your house, this will eventually be fine, but it is a trade off.

I was worried that the airport being between branching rivers would mean island layouts would be boring and samey, but this picture has put all that to rest. Gonna have some lovely unconventional islands. I wonder if you can have it so one of the rivers flows out east or west, giving you a corner bit to start with... I'd like that.

Wait... I thought the core premise of this one was that we got to terraform our own islands. Did I just make that up and have been hyping myself up over it for months?

edit: Oh geez, re-watching the trailers it does seem like I wholesale invented that fantasy and just believe it to be true. I Star Citizen'd myself :-(

More reasonable hope and expectation: Are the "desire paths" still in? Where the grass naturally fades over time in areas of high running traffick, or is it removed in favour of the purposeful path system?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 5, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Argue posted:

I just hope we get more than 10 custom tile slots per character this time, although I guess I wouldn't need as many now that pathmaking is an actual game feature instead of something we cobble together by making a bunch of brick tiles.

Having to make a new character and house and go through the tutorial and stuff just to store more patterns was so absurd.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If Nintendo doesn't sell us an extra piece of hardware (which we plug into another piece of hardware to hook up to the Switch) that scans e-reader cards or amiibos or just takes samples of your stool, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Nintendo should clarify whether it's just a prompt to buy a Nintendo Online account or it's for DLC soon, because with how they're handling Pocket Camp, people are gonna be making a ton of assumptions that poo poo like loot boxes or micro transactions are going to be added

The mere fact that they've seemed to go all in with this busy work crafting system tells me in my heart that there will be some sort of system to buy raw resources to save grinding.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's cool to feel that way, but that just means it's exactly the kind of system that they could weasel in. Enough people will be like "lol I wouldn't buy that anyway, who cares" but at that point the game has already been designed around subtly making such a proposition have value to enough players to make money off of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pylons posted:

It's not really possible to tell whether a game is grindy because they intend for you to want to utilize microtransactions to skip it or if it's just grindy because sometimes games are like that.

It's possible and self-evident by the presence of them. We can't tell for this game yet, because of inadequate information available for a product they intend to sell us, but it's not like they'd suddenly include into the game a grinding system and mtx to circumvent it by accident.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sure hope that direct comes soon so people can stop losing their minds that Nintendo are about to do something they've shown absolutely zero inclination to do, ever, for absolutely no reason.

The first one had DLC in the form of separate hardware + separately purchased cards. Animal Crossing has always been a thing where they experiment with new ways to get you to buy ancillary things. Their Pocket Camp was also pretty bog standard in terms of game-infecting MTX systems. They haven't said anything yet to tell us what they're going to try with this one, but they've got reason, inclination, and history enough for it to be a reasonable concern.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We'll have to see how things go in the way of quality of life improvements and depth. I have to say, the convenience of the Switch might be a big part of the appeal compared to how long it could take to get going on the 3DS, which it kinda obviously chugged and drained battery life on.

What? I guess it's been so long I don't remember 3DS AC chugging and draining. I do remember that the one time I took the Switch somewhere I found out it had like a 2 hour battery life, so I'm not seeing how the less portable console will somehow beat out the actual portable console?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 9, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

None of that sped up any of the gameplay or skipped any time gated stuff and were all entirely optional "here's a neat thing you can have if you get this accessory but it's not going to make the 'game' any better or worse so who gives a poo poo" purchases.
You may as well be losing your mind that having amiibos means people could get a few extra random fish and arrows (and some exclusive armour items!) in BOTW every 24 hours. I don't remember anyone giving a single solitary poo poo about that, and this feels exactly the same. You can also have a couple of extra racing suits in Mario Kart, holy poo poo Nintendo you loving monsters!!!

It's like you're basically all more interested in being able to go I FUCKIN TOLD YOU SO LOOK AT THOSE NICKEL AND DIMING PRICKS on the incredibly minor chance Nintendo decide that this is the perfect time to burn all of their earned goodwill and at the same time take a popular franchise out back to put a bullet in its head than thinking about this rationally.

What qualifies as "who gives a poo poo" tier optional purchases is totally arbitrary. We've already, in just discussing hypothetical vague systems, people who wouldn't blink at some kind of resource-purchasing because (at least right now before we experience anything) Animal Crossing isn't a game in which they feel pressured to save time. Whether anyone was upset at BotWs amiibo bonuses, the fact remains that you could spend money outside the game to get a bonus. I was going to toxx myself that if there's never anything you can purchase beyond or outside the initial game...but evidently Amiibos have already been confirmed. We don't know what they do, but supposedly they will be useable.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wondering what they'll include in this version of the game as outside purchases, they always have before. It might well just be the old Amiibo support. Knowing that, I think I would probably be happy if it just gave me bonus resources like BotW. Subnautica is the only game I've ever played with a crafting system where there wasn't a point where I was like "Alright, getting kind of bored of pick-up-sticks now." I really don't think that'd burn all the good will, and there's countless ways they could go about having bonus purchases without offending a ton of people. Then again, you get 50 internet posters in a room and you'll probably get 40 different thresholds for what is or isn't acceptable. Not to mention, just because you find something unacceptable doesn't actually mean you won't accept it. I have witnessed this body make foolish microtransactions even while I scream at myself not to.

Nintendo wants us hyped and talking about the game, but they've also kept a lot of info close to the vest since they know they've already sold the game to us based on it being Animal Crossing anyway. Gotta bunch of folks in a frenzy, and all sides are having to argue with a lot of faith or conjecture because we can't play, and they aren't saying any more than they know they need to.

I don't think they'll go Pocket Camp on us, but the crafting system existing itself does have some implications for the game experience even in the total absence of mtx. A lot of those systems seem to mesh well with AC naturally, and given that each day is a real day, you hopefully won't have any efficiency pressure like you do in many farming/crafting/sim type games.

It's also possible Nintendo themselves haven't really sorted out what approach to take yet, and it's probably just a Very Bad idea to bring it up pre-release. It's a lot easier to not start a drug, than it is to start a drug than it is to do it and then later quit or stay level once they announce a more concentrated version.

P.S. - Is the the stalk market confirmed back in the game yet? There always comes a time when my villager stops shaking trees and starts shaking down capital.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 9, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You know what, I'm much happier worrying about Animal Crossing maybe tricking me into shelling out more than 60 greenbacks for the pleasure than I am worrying about any of the real things worth worrying about in life right now.

Even "Animal Crossing: Worrying" is an escapist delight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hekk posted:

That's a lot of words about Animal Crossing DLC. I am just looking forward to collecting stuff and being able to trade fruits and visit my wife's island.

Yeah man, me too! What's her friend code ;-)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My uncle works at Animal Crossings and he said they won't have any kind of mtx bullshit. You just use the app to dial the hotline for a reasonable per-minute fee and A Nintendo Operator will authorize you to play while they are on the line with you. The operator will also help you compose letters to villagers, and read aloud all the text for you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just noticed the villagers have 3D noses and it's really freaking me out. They look like moles or zits!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm still going through the direct... but was my wild dream I invented earlier actuyally true?! We DO get to terraform! Kaloo-Kalay! O what a frabjous day!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OH MY GOD

Khanstant posted:

Wait... I thought the core premise of this one was that we got to terraform our own islands. Did I just make that up and have been hyping myself up over it for months?

Naw man, they're really doin' it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just looked her up and I immediately see why she's a rare animal.

Hmm... now I've looked too far and I can't go back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

I decided to find and read through the thread after catching the hype-bug from the direct, and wanted to congratulate these two posters from near the start of the thread!

It really is a dream come true!

Policenaut posted:

Oh god, oh gently caress, Nintendo has a Pachislot machine for the Pocket Camp connectivity stuff oh poo poo I'm gonna have to go download that now just to get it for my gambling hall.

Wait, no, it's a nightmare after all, luring me in with sweetness to stab me in the dark!

Wait no, it's still a dream -- this can't be real.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How much is a raw official AC Amiibo card? I plan on just maknig my own but just out of curiosity I checked on AliExpress and even bootlegs are upwards of 3 dollars _per card!!_

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

The Japanese packs are currently 330 yen for 3 cards, so roughly $1 per card. That doesn't account for anything like the rarity of any specific card, though.

Oh dang, I figured it was sort of like trading cards and you'd get like a dozen or so in a pack. I guess in Nintendo's mind they are selling a whole 20 dollar toy for just a dollar, so it must hurt them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nintendo especially is unkind to leaks and reveals they didn't intend, especially if there are things about their product that would turn off consumers, so they need to hide it as long as possible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mutata posted:

lol I'm mostly kidding. I WAS looking forward to having my own little zen garden to manicure as I've been dealing with some depression lately and it sounded nice, but there's a different hilarity in getting to see how a couple 6 year olds trash paradise.

You gotta finesse these budding gamelings into doing your busywork. Worked with younger siblings to some degree and parent seems to have even more power. Can they read yet? If not, you can just make up anything! Or change it to another language, that way it's educational and not just exploiting kids for videogame labor.

Evidence: Four younger siblings who believed you could play as Abu in Alladin.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Vote for me as mayor and I promise every there will be an Animal Crossing on every dinner table. School has been replaced with mandatory Animal Crossing. Work has been cancelled and replaced with more Animal Crossing. So sayeth the mayor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why is that villager watering a flower instead of nabbing that juicy beetle?!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cyster posted:

1) Accessibility. If you haven't spent time learning how to music, being presented with notes and bars can be downright daunting - and the more space there is for it, the more rope you're given to hang yourself. The town tune maker is presented like a toddler's toy, with funny animals and bright colors. Keeping it to two bars and in C Major means it's simple to grok and hard to get overwhelmed. (It's worth mentioning they've allowed for greater complexity in other places over the years, like patterns, but music in a visual medium brings with it an automatic level of abstraction that's absent in the concept of giving you more space to draw.)

Music is the one art thing I never got the hang of making or understanding in school. Mario Paint was the closest I ever felt to understanding how to compose music and I keep wishing someone would make a fruity loops thingy to just make everything into a mario paint version of itself. In AC I just mess with notes until it's something kind of pleasant I won't mind sprinkled around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Is this some internal attempt to keep the hype in check? Worrying about how lifeless and bland the villagers are going to be?

For what it's worth, there's a subset of Animal Crossing players who got a brain worm in 2005 or so and have been unceasingly grieving this change ever since. Some scientists believe the only way to get the worm out is to pretend to be villagers and be mean to these people directly so that the parasite can start stage 2 of its life cycle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
aren't you someone?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what're y'alls preferred personal suffixes? mine is ", miserable pile of secrets"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hello I'm very excited about Animal Crossing and would like to join the gang, I brought my bag of stolen bells.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I'm getting the idea that this would be a perfect game for somebody who loves stardew valley and enjoys the cute factor?

I've never played any of the series. Is there some kind of a good introduction video to the series?

You're absolutely correct with that first idea. Don't have an intro for the second, I told my mom about it when I was a little kid and she went out and bought it for us that day because she was so into the concept as I'd described it to her. If I could be in your shoes with new Animal Crossing eyes, I'd avoid introducing myself too much to anything beforehand. The magic is strongest the first time and without expectation. Suffice to say, this Animal Crossing is looking to be the best Animal Crossing and you as Stardew and cuteness-liker will undoubtedly love it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Past Animal Crossings didn't have the resource or crafting system, and resource/crafting is about as videogamey as any mechanic that ever videogame'd. I already plan on having a second villager who exists just to store my crafting mats.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My New Leaf save is a mess. I started it in one relationship, we both animal'd the hell out of the crossing, we eventually broke up and I forgot my town for a while. Was dating someone else, they started getting into the gamecube or wii one and I was like ohh check out the 3DS one I also have it's even better... Cue them starting their own house and took to raiding the exes house, except obviously a starter house has way less room so there's basically just hundreds of furniture and clothes everywhere. At this point, cleaning out two villagers worth of exes literal baggage is more work than I'm willing to do for that town. Plus everyone cool moved away anyway.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For anyone struggling to come up wit ha name, hate to pile on, but here are some lists of names to avoid if you don't want Mr. Resetti to chew you out about copyright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_islands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_name_(A)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Streetpass was a cool feature. I never take my Switch out of the dock but if it had that, I'd probably at least throw it in my glovebox from time to time. Used to work near a big comic book store in Austin and would park close their entrance and leave my 3DS on in the car, would have to come out on breaks to try and get through my hits because they'd get full pretty quickly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pylons posted:

Dragons Dogma is kind of a weird one of those for me because my friend that passed away a couple years ago still has their pawn hanging around.

That's heartbreaking, but at the same time, kind of heartwarming within the context of the game, since Pawns are actually kind of echoes in eternity of past heroes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't New Leaf bigger than Gamecube? Or did not having to fuss with the locked-screen stuff just make it feel bigger?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

It was smaller overall but the shopping center meant you had fewer buildings that needed space in the town proper which probably helped make it feel bigger.

Oh man! That reminds me of how much I liked crossing the road to get to the city area! I hope that's coming back in a bigger fashion

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Loving this tag! I always wanted to be in a gang but I could never get my finger-snaps rhythm right.

Also, here's the background of a drawing I've been working on that came out better than I intended

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Personally, while I like the idea of swimming, I think the implementation was really annoying in New Leaf, so I'd be happy if they took their time and made it actually feel nice and fun to do.

There's a lot of opportunity for expanding this game in general. They've already established a fairly well received precedent with Welcome Amiibo, and holidays are confirmed to be patched in. I have no problem with this. If done well it could greatly expand the life of this game.

The annoying parts for me were having to wait until she had a dang wetsuit available, and that I had to equip it at all to swim! I'd rather be able to jump in in any ol clothes, but then you know, suffer a penalty like slightly slower or people are all "hey, why are you all wet? gross!"

Nemo2342 posted:

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1237582918177837057

You can draw on the bulletin board. You know what this means.

I definitely popped the Switch out a few times to make drawing a bit easier for Mario Maker 2 level reviews. People forking love getting doodles, always worth the time to doodle if anyone else will see it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I'm ready for this game to come out already. So I went and tried to plan out my island. Normally I'm a bit anal with this kind of thing but the tools are kind of hard to get a grip on and I wasn't really patient enough to see how far I could stretch it.

Beautiful~
O man, I was going to joke about how you drew the ring on the wrong hand. Not wanting to appear foolish, I looked it up to check. Turns out it is I who has been drawing the ring on the wrong side for years. I'm sorry Mr Goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Becklespinax posted:

Am I too late for a raccoon goon tag??

As an offering I have this octosquad art that Squats drew for me from the New Leaf days to remind you all that octopus villagers are the best villagers:

Those are straight up pokemon! I need an Octillery villager...