Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GoodBee posted:

Wasn't it pretty easy in New Leaf to cycle through random layouts and pick one? It's not the same as terraforming but I am hoping for something like that. Did I hallucinate that in New Leaf?

You had a choice of a few different layouts in New Leaf, but IIRC at some point you would have to choose one of the ones already presented to you or restart the game to get another selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1224919665694121985

Who needs a direct when you got Taiwan Ads?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Biggest question is if the crossover characters are getting culled or if you can still get the Zelda crew and Splatoon Squirrels

I hope they come back and add in even more.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A difficulty selection except it only affects how mean the villagers are to you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Policenaut posted:

Hey have you ever wanted to play Animal Crossing but on PC? Well uhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS8OlpSNM1k

I guess it's a thing now? This is pretty shameless (but not gonna lie some of these features look neat).

I don't like how much bigger the animals are to you, but it's always nice to have something similar pop up since the other ones(Magician's Quest, that Disney one) are dead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I liked how they changed up the holidays in New Leaf. Being Santa for your village was fun.

While Christmas is my favorite mostly due to the music I'll always have a soft spot for Festivale because Pave is such an entertaining character.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GoodBee posted:

I guess I need a different name/town than Link/Hyrule this time around.

You can still keep Link, just name your island Outset or Windfall.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why stop at 15? Make space the only limiting factor and I will cut down every tree on my island to make room for more villagers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Books On Tape posted:

I only played New Leaf briefly but am excited for this one. With the whole real time thing, if I can only play in the evening/night is there stuff I'll be missing?

Just some bugs/fish maybe and depends on what they decide what the store hours are and even then the time will probably go by the console time like every game in the series so you can change it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

glassyalabolas posted:

An official companion guide is releasing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3869931000/

I remember people wondering about the other facilities since we haven't seen them yet

quote:

Discover and Explore 
Museum lovers will be in for a treat - as long as you're willing to be the one providing the exhibits! It's a hands-on approach to preservation, and every budding naturalist or palaeontologist needs a solid reference book to consult. You won't find a single specimen that's not covered here. 

So the Museum confirmed I guess?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PeePot posted:

I found my Nintendo Power, Gamecube Animal Crossing guide last night. Definitely picking this one up.

The Gamecube one is 164 pages with a full catalog of furniture sets, the new one is 432 pages!

I remember that guide, but mine fell apart and I got the Prima guide. Which wasn't as good and listed furniture that was only available in the Japanese version.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Drone posted:

...holy poo poo.

It never even occurred to me to do this.

It's even more appropriate now since we're basically making our own self sufficient island nations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a lot to take in

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The grass-wear system is still in, but you can sacrifice a villager to the Island to reset the grass back to a pristine state.

And you can never get that villager back. The game will refuse to let that specific villager move back into town. They're gone.

You're saying this like everyone doesn't already have a list of villagers they would sacrifice without a second thought.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

robot roll call posted:

The amount of control you have over your island is amazing, I was not expecting being able to change the terrain. I wonder if you can still drop custom textures on the ground now that paths are official...

There was a pencil icon on the path menu which suggest being able to make custom paths.

Magical Girl Wand for new favorite tool.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe Pelly, Pete, and Phyllis are loving dead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

Anything interesting come up in the FAQ/After? My stream cut out and I can't seem to get the video to play anymore.

Nah that was basically the end of the direct.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like how everytime they mention debt in Animal Crossing they have to add that it's interest free, no deadline, and a bunch of other poo poo lol.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Montalvo posted:

As long as they let me build the coffee shop I don't give a gently caress

This and the Dream Suite.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh his name is C.J. because he's Chip Junior.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doesn't the Switch also have the ability to download updates from another Switch?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"Look at me. I'm the mayor now."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

prepuce repurposed posted:

I have an Ankha card and I've never understood why it's so sought after :confused:

I assume she's super popular, like Marshall and Rosie.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Now that we know for sure how big the map is has anyone done any map size comparison to past games?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

vanisher posted:

The real question is can you make cliffs on cliffs on cliffs to make a pyramid with your house at the top

Rewatching the direct I noticed this, check the back

So we might actually be able to do this, at least up to three tiers

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't know if it's exclusive to the cards, but you can now buy posters of your favorite animal friends.

https://twitter.com/ACWorldBlog/status/1230555341529595909

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Honoring the fallen by hanging their posters in my house.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Policenaut posted:

WHAT!? But Hopkins! My boy! NOOOOOOOOO!

Am I reading the chart wrong? He was part of the Welcome Amiibo set, so he should be fine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Compilation of all the video clips on the website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPf0O-cSwdk

Look at all this pocket space :eyepop:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I remember this, poo poo was crazy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/VikingSkirts/status/1230587880998932480

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Something I just read, the "Nook Homes customers" bit might be just a cute way to say returning villagers and we might have more than 383 since that count doesn't include new villagers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

prepuce repurposed posted:

what did they change

Instead of the one time fine print, it now says "more details on save data recovery functionality will be shared on a future date"

Looks like a walk back to me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can anyone read Japanese? Apparently C.J.'s name in Japan is Justin

Justin the Beaver

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ACWorldBlog/status/1231498162151600129

Looks like you get a pinata for your birthday.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

Apparently the map is slightly larger than the one in New Leaf

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/c6jl2b/animal_crossing_new_horizons_map_size/

Not only that, but houses can apparently be placed on the beach this time

Yeah one of the first things they showed during E3 was placing your tent on the beach.

Another thing to keep in mind is that houses can be placed right up against rivers now

So theoretically you should be able to place them right next to cliffs or each other.

Even if the map was the same size as New Leaf you would still have a lot more room to work with just because New Horizons doesn't have this restriction that New Leaf has. Which hopefully means we can have more animal friends living on our island too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually might be a question as to how far in you unlock terrain manipulation, since I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't move usable buildings once placed.

The direct said you could move your house and the shops.

It didn't say if you could move the animal villagers, but it would be weird if you could move everything else, but them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Give us the ability to sacrifice player spots for animal villagers.

Who's honestly gonna use up all eight player spots?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Makes me wonder if there's gonna be a downloadable demo. A friend of mine couldn't play New Leaf due to getting motion sickness from the rolling-pin world, but isn't sure they'll have the same problem for this.

As much as I want it, I doubt it.

Would your friend be able to tell from video? Also from what I'm hearing, it's not GC Animal Crossing flat, but the effect is toned down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not gonna happen since they would have shown it off already, but it would be cool if you could control the camera outside.