Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I just restarted my acnh island, so this is island number 3 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

magimix posted:

So how much did it sting the first time you nuked your existing island?

I tried getting back into ACNH a while back, but ultimately, I'd done everything I wanted to with my island, so I had a bit of a run around, but I was really just a tourist. I truly do think I'd enjoy going through all that early stuff again (not unlike starting a new farm in Stardew), but I've not managed to get over the 'hump' of deleting something I've spent 850 hours with.

Maybe I just need to psyche myself up and, as it were, rip off the plaster quickly.

The first time was very anxiety inducing tbh. It felt like a massive loss. I loved my island, part of it was featured in a YouTube video, I'd spent *hours* on it. But trouble was I'd run out of room to do the things I needed to do. So I saved the DA, deleted the save data, and honestly never regretted it for a second.

Early game vibes are immaculate, I'm enjoying it all over again for the 3rd time!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

As I told people in the discord way back when, the game is for playing. No point having a picture perfect island you don't interact with

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yes! Do a runaround, get everything in order, upload your DA, and then enjoy your new island! :yeah:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Congrats!! Enjoy the new island!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You know I might do this- I love my neighbors and there are some things I really enjoy about my island (including the items that I have that were a huge pain in the rear end to originally get) but it might be nice to start over. The main thing I'll have to find again is that site that allows you to take scan a photo and turn it into an image that is usable in game; I have a picture of my cat Lulu who passed away last November and she was my flag. I'd like to keep that.

Also I know that Nintendo has announced they are turning off servers for ACNH soon but does that mean that there will be no more visiting people's islands and Dream Codes will be gone? Will the ability to upload clothing patterns to share with people be gone as well?

Can't you upload your flag as a design? Then you can download it from wherever (if I'm understanding your quest)

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

They're still selling the game retail, they're hardly gonna shut down the servers lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I think restarting is cool as hell is you don't feel the same urge to rush through everything. You've seen it before, so now you can appreciate it.

Cos I wfh mostly I'm looking forward to playing in my lunch break lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does New Horizons guilt trip you like previous games if you start over?

This talk of starting a new island has me considering it too. Ended up burning out a while back with an island redesign that left everything kinda messy.

Nope, you just delete your save data on the switch, then when you restart the game it's like you're playing it for the first time

Just remember to save your dream address first if you want the ability to revisit your islands via dream

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

If there are items you want to save, you could store them in someone else's island, and come pick them up again after your restart

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Looking for suggesting goon hivemind for items that are "jungle-esque"

Thinking:

Giant vines
Pine tree (item)
Vines
Bamboo
Mossy garden rock
Palm trees
Titan Arum
Glowing moss
Ruined castle items
Azumaya Gazebo
bamboo grass seasonal item
bamboo partition
Cacao tree
Tall lantern in mossy variant
cave
Formant volcano
forbidden altar
glowing moss pond
glowing moss statue
leaf piles
Kadomatsu
lily pad table
bug models
mushroom furniture items in green
pond stones
wheat fields
wedding furniture in ‘garden’ colour
Stone furniture can be customised to ‘mossy’.
Mario items and spooky items to green to fill out any empty space

What other suggestions have you, goons?

Chewbecca fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 5, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

There are so many mossy things, I'm v excited

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Today is festivale and I was playing at lunch cos wfh

Man it sucks catching blue feathers, was that always the case or am I just unlucky

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Black Robe posted:

There's always one colour that's a lot rarer on each island. Your villagers will trade with you.

My villagers tried to trade me out of my blue ones for my green ones, even though I had stuff all blue ones. I finished the event now though, so all good

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Reset goons, set yourself free :wom:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Is there some way I can prompt my islanders to stand up so that I can actually give them this chocolate I bought them for Valentine's Day? Faith and Vivian are parked next to a campfire in front of Resident Services and just refuse to budge. I really hate that you can't give items to people who are sitting.

You could probably whack them with a net?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

You gotta go to the airport and talk to old mate about postcards, yeah

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

magimix posted:

While I hadn't sent a future-dated message to myself, I have previously sent messages to other residents. From my own reminding, I think one has to have visited a person's island (either direction) before letters can be mutually sent? I'd forgotten about the tricksy online stuff!

In case the time is ripe, I've actually opened my island to everyone on my friends list (just idling while I do chores). And if the time *isn't* ripe, no worries; not looking to be a pain in anyone's neck, to be sure :angel:

Ohhh that's true too. It doesn't matter if you were friends before resetting, you gotta revisit to become friends in acnh

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm sad I'm going into winter soon

On my freakign jungle island :whitewater:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Handy to, when you restart and have to re-collect vegetables and rugs etc

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When you restart don't you have to wait for the conditions to happen to be able to revisit Harv? It's been almost 4 years since I started my game.

I also think this is why I am really reluctant to start completely over: I have a lot of really great memories of playing with friends when we were all in lockdown, and I don't want to loose a lot of the locations that I had back then.

Yeah you have to have 3 stars to be able to upgrade harv's island to have all the different stalls there

Still quicker than waiting organically for Leif to come (or whatever)

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm having to dig up all of my hibiscus to replace with tea bushes, and I hate it :negative:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

Trying to keep shrubs in bloom is pure pain.

I don't like them as much as the hibiscus either, so the whole thing is a bummer

In other news, eggs make me want to cry lol. The trees look like poo poo

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm hosting a fishing tourney today for a couple of hours, southern hemisphere. It's 10am.

There is a dedicated fishing area with tonnes of free fish bait on the western coast of the island. You can get to it via a pipe which is at the bottom left of res services. You're allowed to fish wherever you want of course, but my island is dense so I created a special fishing area with lots of room to move!

Please take turns starting the rounds, but other than that there are no rules in particular. Don't pick weeds or glowing moss but take vegetables and fruit if you want, just water veges afterwards.

Will be open for a couple of hours, hope you can drop by!

Diy on beach in front of res services. Shop to the right of res services for rod buying needs.

DM for dodo code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Aaand closed.