Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

In The Mood For Love is actually one part of a loose tetralogy of films by Wong Kar-Wai. They are, in order:

Days of Being Wild (1990)
In The Mood For Love (2000)
2046 (2004)
and the upcoming film Blossoms(2020)

While they are all stand-alone films and can be watched in any order, 2046 is mostly a direct continuation following Chow Mo-wan, played again by the incredible Tony Leung Chiu-wai, after the events of this film.

I can confirm it's alright to watch these out of order. Seeing Chungking Express in a class first year of college is what kicked off my interest in film. That was around the time 2046 came out so I went to see the new Wong Kar-wai movie with no context at all and loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

My take on it is that the relationship definitely gets physical. Evidence is the second to last scene where it's four years later and we see her with a child about that age. It feels pretty clearly implied that's Tony Leung's kid.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

I think that's a valid interpretation, but I think its just as likely it was a child she had with her husband in the normal course of life. Again, the movie to me plays out like idealized memories, excluding all of the real life complications that actually happened (like having a child with your spouse, or maybe having a messy real life relationship with your neighbor, having a child out of wedlock, being shunned, the other moving away to save face, whatever). It just my personal view that, in the relationship we get to see on screen, they never crossed over that platonic line, for better and probably for a lot worse.

Figure I should ask, but do we want to use spoiler tags in the thread?

Edit: let's also be fair, I change my view on this movie every time I see it.

That's fair. It's definitely left ambiguous and Wong does not want to give a clear answer. And really, while I kind of like talking about it, what's great about the movie is that the answer to a kind of big question doesn't actually feel that important. The details are there but really I'm watching to feel things and all the emotions are played perfectly.

I guess I'll be rewatching these movies soon. Probably start with Days of Being Wild tonight