Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In/Spectre is a paranatural mystery(ish) series featuring:

Kotoko Iwanaga, a goblin mediator/goddess of wisdom for yokai big and small. She is extremely smart and does whatever it takes to fulfill her duties but also causes every bit of poo poo that rains down on her when it comes to interpersonal relationships.

Kuro Sakuragawa, Kotoko's boyfriend(ish) who's got his own weirdness going on. Yokai are scared shitless of him, which can cause problems considering how often he has to interact with them.

Saki Yumihara, Kuro's former fiancee and a cop. She's trying to move on the best she can but gets pulled in to the events of the show.

Terada, hot.

In/Spectre was written by the same author as Blast of Tempest, and might feel familiar if you liked that. There's lots of circular discussions about the cause and effect of things which are really fun to take in. Kotoko is a really energetic protagonist that you want to succeed but also absolutely deserves most of the failures she faces along the way.

https://twitter.com/ZachKoromaru/status/1223721388026056704?s=20
~The perfect couple~

In/Spectre started life as a novel that was then adapted to a manga and is now an anime. Do NOT post about upcoming manga events or try to nudge along thread discussion or theories if you know what's coming up. In/Spectre is a fun ride and I'd like people to experience it in full.

Erg fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Does this feature any barrels on hills?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Post Kotoko’s pictures of Kuro. They are very important to the sales pitch imo

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

you're right

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Been watching this and loving it so far.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you want to read the manga please support the official release of which 10 volumes have already been put out (11 comes out at the end of the month!)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 4, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked blast of tempest a lot but this is more fun so far while still being recognizably from the same mind. excited to see kotoko bullshit her way through a longer case

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like the dynamic the main cast (assuming Saki sticks around) have, and await the gremlin protagonist metaphorically throwing herself in dumpsters repeatedly.

Also it's probably worth mentioning that there so far has been some light gore if that might bother people. It doesn't revel in it, but it is there for tone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The opening sting of the OP reminds me a lot of 90s anime.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I like the jazz ED.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Erg posted:

Kotoko Iwanaga, a goblin mediator/goddess of wisdom for yokai big and small. She is extremely smart and does whatever it takes to fulfill her duties but also causes every bit of poo poo that rains down on her when it comes to interpersonal relationships.
I read at some point the manga when it was in its early stages in mangadex like 3 years ago and I remember seeing the paneling for this same scene and laughing my rear end off at work and having to cover my yapper so I wouldn't get weird looks. Seeing the (barely) animated scene kinda lost some impact, but the :( "Gyu!" the voice actress lets out more than makes up for it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Never has a character been so well evoked in a single "desu ne".

Back to the Nanase case, my theory that Karin killed her sister is mostly based on the unnecessary exposition around the body identification, then showing a picture of the sister(to show they were similar enough for Karin to assume her identity.), and holding her statement until the next episode. Karin's also been characterized as a charismatic genius who's possibly capable of murder. I'm also game for these things to be a clever red herring. They're all classic lazy murder mystery beats.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I read at some point the manga when it was in its early stages in mangadex like 3 years ago and I remember seeing the paneling for this same scene and laughing my rear end off at work and having to cover my yapper so I wouldn't get weird looks. Seeing the (barely) animated scene kinda lost some impact, but the :( "Gyu!" the voice actress lets out more than makes up for it.

yeah I was really hoping for a cut away at the last second before the impact, instead of the weird pause they did

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I guess a pertinent question is if Nanase's sister is as stacked as she is.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
This was more fun than I expected from the summary. Also, wow I dig the ED a lot.

Do we know how many episodes it is?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I read a few of the manga chapters up to the current events of the anime and I noticed a little thing that was left out. The reason Karin Nanase was not popular at the start, despite her good looks, was because she was considered to have a bad personality for an idol. Namely she was seen as too calculating and cold.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm enjoying this so far. I also only have a free Crunchyroll account, so am eager for more current/ex interaction.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

This was more fun than I expected from the summary. Also, wow I dig the ED a lot.

Do we know how many episodes it is?

MAL lists it at 12 eps which seems right to me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

I read a few of the manga chapters up to the current events of the anime and I noticed a little thing that was left out. The reason Karin Nanase was not popular at the start, despite her good looks, was because she was considered to have a bad personality for an idol. Namely she was seen as too calculating and cold.
While manga chat would be appreciated to be kept at a minimum mostly to keep spoilers light, if there are any neat differences such as this and it seems unlikely that they'll be adapted at some point, it's fine to brought them from here on.

I wonder if that change had anything to do with casting due to how often fans associate characters with the VA's that give them life; especially since Sumire Uesaka (Karin Nanase's VA) is well-known for being somewhat quiet but fairly outgoing and more than a little bit fond of the bottle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

In this episode we learn that the SCP Foundation website is the most dangerous one in the world.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This episode really makes you feel for Kuro.

Not because of the tragic childhood, but because he got dumped by Saki and is stuck with Kotoko.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I can see why Kotoko would be so possessive of Kuro. Her world is more yokai than human. Her work prevents her from settling down. She's an amputee in a particularly ableist society. There are probably very few people who can be her bridge to humanity like he can.

I think it was in the Winter thread that someone mentioned Kuro disappears at the end of the OP and Kotoko disappears at the end of the ED. Kotoko also approaches Kuro in the OP, while he reaches out for her in the ED.

Next episode preview definitely suggests it was a murder.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

we now have 3 anime this season about rumors manifesting as monsters

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tales of Woe posted:

This one is the cutest, though.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Tales of Woe posted:

And 2 involving eating mermaid flesh as a plot point.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Tales of Woe posted:

I mean it *is* a Japanese popcultural thing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We did invent Big Slendy, and then some girl stabbed her friends for him. As far as internet stories manifesting IRL go...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They actually made the website and a Twitter profile for Karin Nanase with plausible tweets going back until November.
the BBS on the site doesn't work, but I'm sure it will be updated as the next episodes air

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I caught up with this today and it went from something not on my radar at all to something I'm going to be looking forward to each week.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im crushing on that hot detective

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im crushing on that hot detective

:hai:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, my experience with the Touhou Project

Anyway, first episode seemed fun! No real idea what to expect from this, but the various screenshots i've seen around caught my interest, so i'm giving it a shot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was an impressive amount of jinxing at the end of the episode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
We already knew that girl wasn't right but I didn't expect them to reveal so early that she's literally Satan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I knew that detective was always trying to get ahead.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
I love how doofy and good natured the vast majority of youkai/ayakashi are in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

GyroNinja posted:

I love how doofy and good natured the vast majority of youkai/ayakashi are in this show.

So if Construction Guy ghost died like 6 months before Nanase Karin, what the gently caress.