Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the problem is that it is a pretty tightly knit story that doesn't translate well to anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I was fine with the episodes where she's actually shitposting, but there was an episode earlier which seemed to mostly consist of everyone telling each other over and over that they need to come up with some good shitposts.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I agree wholeheartedly that we shoulda(definitely, not "probably") skipped on the whole episode dedicated to coming up with the shitposts and just get told in a passing mention about the planning, you hafta understand: Any good shitposter worth their salt needs a plan especially when it comes to dealing with a counter-shitposter, so at least the realism on that is appreciated.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Really, the problem is that she's done like zero shitposting at all. the weird gremlin energy she has in person made the prospect of an internet fight seem like it was going to be great, but really all she's doing is writing short-form fiction posts. she hasn't like, gotten into a fight with anyone, or done anything aside from post like she's in a pretty buttoned-up sherlock holmes parlour scene.

Sair
May 11, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Once the manga gets through the Nanase arc it goes to smaller mysteries that are only three or four chapters at the absolute longest, so if you like the premise of In/Spectre but are fatigued by the current arc I'd definitely recommend checking out the manga.

I was definitely expecting this to be more of a monster of the week kinda thing at the start.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The worst part is the lack of adorable yokai to interact with. A close second is watching Kotoko's failure at interpersonal relationships.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Convincing the userbase to rebel against the admin was pretty good and more in line with my expectations.

Even if the lie to get to that point is kinda hosed up. I imagine the real ghost of Nanase is pissed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Convincing the userbase to rebel against the admin was pretty good and more in line with my expectations.

Even if the lie to get to that point is kinda hosed up. I imagine the real ghost of Nanase is pissed.

Maybe the new lie will create a new Tulpa and bring Nanase back to life?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
#LetNanaseRestInPeace

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Even if the lie to get to that point is kinda hosed up.

Did... did Kotoko create japanese Qanon? :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey no! Don't pin that on our adorable gremlin dumbass! Kotoko deserves better! :ohdear:

You know, except whenever she's not trying to self-sabotage herself. Which is often. :mmmhmm:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Kotoko Nendoroid comes with a very good face.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Show was good. top 2 of the season for me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's my number one for this season, but just because the only other show I was watching was Koisuru Asteroid.

Felt like an alright first half if it was a 24 episode season. As it is now I thought it was kind of underwhelming, probably because the setup was so compelling compared to the rest. No more Saki makes sense from a healthy personal relationships point of view, but it still bummed me out a bit. Her being more put together than Iwanaga in every non-supernatural way is always hilarious, and it's also fun to watch Saki interact with goofy monsters because she's able to be the regular straight-woman that terrifying-to-yokai Kuro can't be.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The big skeleton just wanted to say hello to Saki.

I think my overall thoughts about the season are positive but the structure of the show with one arc taking up the majority of the season was not what I wanted. If there were ever to be a second season I would definitely watch it though and Kotoko Iwanaga is my favourite character of the season.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coxswain Balls posted:

Her being more put together than Iwanaga
Oi. :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sair
May 11, 2007

Felt kinda weird for the entire last episode to be epilogue, but I liked it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

I think my overall thoughts about the season are positive but the structure of the show with one arc taking up the majority of the season was not what I wanted. If there were ever to be a second season I would definitely watch it though and Kotoko Iwanaga is my favourite character of the season.

Well said. I like the characters, I like the character design, I like the concept of The Bullshitting Detective, and Kitou Akari is great in everything, but it ended up being somewhat less than the sum of its parts. Still a fun watch though.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I enjoyed it but drat did the middle feel like an especially slow burn. I look forward to shitposting wars between Rikka and Kotoko.

Part of me is still incredibly annoyed by the fact that will never know the complete truth regarding Nanase then again this is not something like ID: Invaded where the victim of the mystery is the conceit.

Imma just headcanon Nanase had a very unlucky break and is going to descend from the afterlife chew Kotoko out later like weeb do

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I hope this season is mainly shorter, self-contained stories. Maybe the last one of the season can go more into the thing with Kuro's creepy cousin.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If they're following the source material it should be closer to mystery of the week

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Is it typical of serial killers in this story to get away scot free with no repercussions?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean its not the girls job to catch them, just create a narrative that satisfies the spirits

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New ep up and this seems like it should be a simple case of a Yuki-Onna caught up in something a rather mundane human matter.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

using an entire episode as buildup to the case at the end was incredible. there was a lot of low-key background tension as to whether masayuki or the yuki-onna were going to pull something to the point where when the cops showed up it was somehow a relief

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm kind of liking Kotoko more the less of her that's in episodes. It's not because I don't like her, it's a combination of getting more characterization out of the people that are central to the actual problem that's come up, and when she came up in conversation the way she's described has way more impact. Previously I saw her as more like a lawyer for the supernatural and wondered if calling her a god/kamisama was a bit much, maybe because of some cultural or linguistic difference. In this episode though when the Snow Woman was talking about her I fully bought in to the reverence all the supernatural beings have for her, why she's considered a deity, and also why the guy would think she might be some kind of monster.

Of course, we know that she's a gremlin, and to me it will never get old when the humans she meets in person reconcile with this fact. I think the same idea could also play out with Kuro; I never really tuned in to the fear that all the yokai have for him, but if handled a certain way it could definitely change the way I view him.

With story arcs being much shorter they can play with this a lot more than with last season, and we can see all the myriad ways they're viewed by yokai across the country. I found this episode really good, and I think it was what people were expecting more of in the first season.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

to be fair the fear of kuro for the yokai is extremely supernatural. they're afraid of him the way we would be afraid if we ran into Jason Voorhees

edit: thats a clumsy analogy but i'm extremely at work

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
In the manga for this case at least, the yuki-onna says early on that youkai see more than just a person's appearance, which is why she likes Masayuki. It's Kuro's aura that the youkai are cottoning onto that scares them so much, since he ate their kind

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah Im guessing that the yokai have their own vibes they can discern, like humans probably feel a particular way to them for the most part. And here comes kuro that just feels completely off from being a human, mermaid kudan.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I get why they're scared of him, it's just that so far they haven't done the best job of portraying that fear the yokai feel to the viewer. The closest they've gotten is with the incident that made Saki dump him.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He should just chow down on some yokai in front of everyone

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that was brutally effective, she really had me believing it for a moment

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I love the relationship between Yuki-Onna and Masayuki. When the cops revealed what his ex-wife looked like while Yuki-Onna was in the room I said "oh poo poo, this is gonna be an awkward chat afterwards".

The cave scene was awesome and did even more to cement Kotoko's standing as a god in my eyes, which makes it even funnier when she has to angrily eat konbini bento because Kuro would rather be at work. Her retinue of monsters is absolutely adorable and was exactly what I wanted to see more of in the first season.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/3SJEXjF.gifv

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
“Just bone already” a great end to a great arc

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

laffin' at the footnote of "by the way her plan definitely sucked rear end"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Show's still good. I hope the goblin gets what she wants

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I wonder what the deal is with that gate thing that appeared at the start of the OP this week. It definitely wasn't there in the previous episodes and it threw me off thinking I missed something with the most recent story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder if this season will get to the kirin arc? it's not in the op, but i wanna see a ghost giraffe go nuts.