Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

hm the recent input on the huge variation in quality between locations helps to explain my experience...

i guess i have to check loving yelp reviews before going to get fast food chicken :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have never had a bad Popeyes experience, and I have had many Popeyes experiences. My favorite was when they used to have one on every concourse in the Atlanta airport, and flying home from college at Christmas and stuff it finally felt like I was back in the south when a very large cashier would ask ‘what you have, suga’’

Also their sweet tea is basically syrup and that’s the way sweet tea is supposed to be

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to get the tenders but I discovered recently that I prefer the nuggets!!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

These blackened tenders are amazing. I totally would not have gotten them if not for this thread.

No Cajun sparkle though.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

No Cajun sparkle though.

hosed up if tru

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The Walrus posted:

I used to get the tenders but I discovered recently that I prefer the nuggets!!

...Popeyes has nuggets?

The one nearest my house offers catfish but I've never felt inclined to get it.

anyway, maybe it's because my stomach is weird, but I've found eating too much popeyes chicken too fast will make me retch and cough up oil/grease

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've had popeyes once at work just a bunch of fried chicken it was alright. What was the deal with the chicken sandwich stuff on the news tho.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Putty posted:

I've had popeyes once at work just a bunch of fried chicken it was alright. What was the deal with the chicken sandwich stuff on the news tho.

People claim it's super good (especially the spicy one) but I haven't had a chance to try it myself so I don't know if it's all bullshit or what.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Everyone went nuts over the chicken sandwich (gotta go spicy on those)

But I actually liked the voodoo chicken strips and the bourbon fudge pie a bit more.

Usually I mix Hawaiian Punch with club soda because that's life.

But Popeye's also has pretty good jambalaya.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Everyone went nuts over the chicken sandwich (gotta go spicy on those)

But I actually liked the voodoo chicken strips and the bourbon fudge pie a bit more.

Usually I mix Hawaiian Punch with club soda because that's life.

But Popeye's also has pretty good jambalaya.

I used to eat the hell out of the jambalaya like... 20 years ago? Holy crap :corsair:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I used to love Popeyes but the one closest to me now is just the worst. Last time I went it was slow but food still took like a half hour. There was one clearly stressed out/new to the job teenager working both the counter as the drive through, with a manager and another employee sitting in a booth hanging out. They had food in front of them but it was already finished before I got there, but they still didn't move in the time it took to get my food (forever) and then eat it. I felt bad for that poor kid doing all the work. There's almost someone brand new to the job working there. Can't imagine why they can't keep their employees.

And the food is really hit and miss now. You might get some fresh hot chicken but you're more likely to get some stale off tasting stuff that will forcefully empty you out over the next 24 hours.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When I was in Chicago during Christmas the Popeyes near my parents house always without fail had the drive thru line spilling out onto the street, I can’t believe people are still losing their minds over that drat sandwich.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It’s a decent sandwich, especially spicy, and it’s a lot of food for a $4 fast food sandwich

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

the sandwich is thicc af, while the tendies have become anemic shells of their former self and mostly breading

vs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ANUSTART posted:

My fav....

My local one is filthy but has a very smart strategy where they have signs up everywhere, "No chicken sandwiches". For months. But if you go inside they have them ready to sell lol. I stick with daily specials so this crowd control benefits me !
They do that here too. Sneaky...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sean10mm posted:

In my experience Popeyes has no control over their franchises, and the quality of the operations varies to an insane degree.

A good Popeyes is basically an A+ in fast food terms. But if you walk into a Popeyes you've never been too before you never know what you're going to get in terms of general quality. Contrast with McDonalds, which is always mediocre, but almost always in exactly the same way.

Nearest Popeyes to me that has their poo poo together is at the goddamn airport lol

My Popeyes is consistently fantastic on the chicken but I never buy soda from them anymore because it's virtually always semi-flat slightly Coke tasting water. I just go to the Walgreens nearby instead for soda. It's beat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Went to Popeye's for the first time today, I can confirm it's loving excellent and I completely believe that someone got rightfully stabbed over a chicken sandwich because it's a drat good sandwich.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Agreed, if you cut in line I have no sympathy if something bad happens to you.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Their chicken are great, but sometimes I am unlucky enough to get the bottom piles of soggy oil chicken.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

sean10mm posted:

People claim it's super good (especially the spicy one) but I haven't had a chance to try it myself so I don't know if it's all bullshit or what.

yeah there's a popeyes near my job and i went over to get a chicken sandwich, but they were sold out somehow so i never went back again :effort:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

2 locations about 3 miles away and still no Cajun Sparkle. Maybe it’s a regional thing.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

you must live in the Midwest where they hate flavor

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

East Coast, Ill have you know.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Resting Lich Face posted:

"Louisiana fast" is a goddamn lie. Popeyes always slow as gently caress.

No, they absolutely are "Louisiana fast," it seems you've never been to Louisiana.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I live in the middle of nowhere and finally got a spicy chicken sandwich. It was really good (but not good enough to kill for) and I would like another almost immediately.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
today i got the popcorn shrimp special and i got home.and they gave me fries instead of red beans and rice. and i ate it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Seems like this is the right place for this treatise on Popeye's and their particular style of customer service.

https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2017/1/4/14166686/popeyes-is-perfect-and-you-are-the-problem

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Found the world's slowest popeyes to order my first popeyes spicy chicken sandwich at.

Let's see how it goes!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Update: it's real good and is very different from every other fast food fried chicken sandwich. Maybe too much sauce but it's actually a good sauce so maybe not?

The fries stink but I should have remembered that going in.

e: Bored as hell, so let's dig into this some more! :haw:

The sandwich has a basically perfect bread-chicken ratio. The bread is better than the sad little hamburger buns chick-fil-a uses, but isn't too dense/thick/heavy for the chicken. The batter has a good crunch but there wasn't too much of it. Even with a good amount of sauce it didn't get soggy. The chicken itself was good, basically what you'd assume a big breast piece fried up by popeyes would taste. The spicy sauce has an interesting flavor profile, heat level is decent but nothing crazy, it's seasoned enough that it doesn't just taste like mayo. The pickles are better than your typical neon green hamburger chips too, they look and taste like they were actually made from fresh cucumbers.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 14, 2020

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

did you eat fresh(tm) or let the fries steam in the box on the drive home? cause they are bomb fresh, and meh after steaming themselves to mush

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

kloa posted:

did you eat fresh(tm) or let the fries steam in the box on the drive home? cause they are bomb fresh, and meh after steaming themselves to mush

I ate them immediately, but they weren't that hot to start with. The place was busy at the time but somehow the fries were just old as hell I think.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I ate them immediately, but they weren't that hot to start with. The place was busy at the time but somehow the fries were just old as hell I think.

that's a bummer. hopefully next time they won't gently caress up :saddowns:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Their chicken sandwich is legit - I love their normal seasoning on all their chicken. Not much of a fan of their spicy. Those blackened strips are really good with a unique and addicting flavor.

Favorite side is their cajun mashed tatos and green beans. Their fries have always been these stringy dried out husks at my location.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The chicken in the sandwich is amazing, but I find the bun lame, often dry.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
:popeye:
:eyepop:

How am I the first person to do this itt?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I gather they have Popeye's in Singapore? I'm visiting next month, are they good there?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What's the best side, in your opinion? I get cajun fries just because I like fries but I want to venture out.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

TV Zombie posted:

What's the best side, in your opinion? I get cajun fries just because I like fries but I want to venture out.

Red beans and rice

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I go to Vegas every January with a bunch of goons. In previous years Popeye's has been the hangover cure of choice. This year they betrayed me incredibly. Chicken bad. Order wrong. Ate the meme sandwich and it was pretty bad. I don't know what to do next year. Everything is in ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You get the $5 steak and eggs somewhere.