Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
just finished the Randall translation. really interesting to see Zamyatin’s extrapolations to the endpoints of Fordism and Taylorism in regards to the dehumanization of its workers. want to revisit Brave New World and 1984 to really see the through lines and threads that started here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I, a novice reader, read this book since it was selected here and it was pretty short. Unfortunately, I found sections in the final third (from the Integral test flight on) tough to follow. As far as I understood, the test flight takes place but the planned takeover of the ship does not because the Mephi were betrayed to the secret police? Can someone confirm/correct this and maybe elaborate on why?

I understand that the book is more about its themes and social commentary than about the minutiae of the plot but this was something that took me out of it somewhat regardless.

this is from what I understood: U has been reading D-503’s journals and tips off the Guardians to the takeover plot. she doesn’t directly implicate D-503 or I-330 because she is afraid that if she did, D-503 wouldn’t want to be with her (disregarding the fact that D-503 wants to kill her for this but stops). D-503 then gets taken to the Benefactor because he tried to suicide the Integral (and was stopped by the Second Builder).

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

voting for the time-traveling 9/11 dog