Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Action Jacktion posted:

For real, only read the new translation. The original can just be incomprehensible.
There are many translations, and the Zilboorg translation from 1924 is not "the original", which would be the Russian source. You are correct about how bad it is, though.

The most widely available translations right now are the Ginsburg (1972), Brown (1993), Randall (2006), and Aplin (2009) versions, all of which are good except the Brown.

Edit: I hadn't taken too close a look at the Aplin before, but it is very good. I will have to get it as soon as I can. Shame about the cover's dumb Metropolis schtick, though.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is translated by Clarence Brown it looks like.
Not even. Brown is listed on the page, and the blurb uses his "OneState", but it's the Zilboorg translation. A dollar is overpaying, not in terms of quality but simply because it's a public-domain ebook.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 5, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, a few years back amazon started merging reviews and pages for different editions, which can really gently caress up trying to find the right edition in translation.
It's not that; it's one listing with a blatantly mismatched description. Plain old false advertising, whether deliberately or by somebody's clueless bot behind the scenes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Action Jacktion posted:

I pretty obviously meant the original translation. I know this is the internet but we don't have to be so nitpicky.
There's no such thing as an "original translation". The phrase is nonsense. It's the first translation. Maybe it's "nitpicky" to you, but it's bad to think about translations in those terms.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 6, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Been having a real turd of a month but finally managed to set a day aside right at the end and read this again. I'm very thankful that it got selected, even if the thread didn't end up having all that much discussion.