Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

could always order both and make one yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Had the pot roast sandwich today. It was good, if a little smaller than I expected from the picture and the size of their burgs

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Didn't post about it but I had the walleye sandwich last month, it was huge and amazing

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
Got the family sized cheese curds (cause I can plow through a large and normally want more) and holy gently caress was that a bad idea. I got through about a half pound of them before I started to feel like I was actually dying

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
had a sourdough melt double the other day and it was a great choice

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Went to culvers for the first time in a minute and it was excellent as usual

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

had some culver's last night, excellent as always, going to take a controversial stance that the pretzel nuggets are superior to the cheese curds. might just be that the one near me makes their curds too salty but i am speaking from my heart & am not ashamed

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Their curds are just alright. My wife loves those pretzel bites over them as well. We're in WI so we have an endless supply of curds so we can be picky.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
As another WI native I'm not super excited by anybody's fried curds, fresh out of the bag in the car just after leaving the cheese plant is where it's at

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Honestly yeah, that's being spoiled if you are in Wisconsin. Culvers is pretty much the only place you can get hot fried cheese curds around here and many other places. The next closest thing would probably be getting fried mozzarella sticks at a bar or something. Having cheese curds even be an option is pretty huge compared to every other fast food place where it's just the automatic side of fries. I love 'em, it's been too long, now I'm thinking about them.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Myron Baloney posted:

As another WI native I'm not super excited by anybody's fried curds, fresh out of the bag in the car just after leaving the cheese plant is where it's at

Yeah that's when they're the best. Second best is if they don't get eaten when they're tooth-squeakingly fresh they are very easy to fry on one's own.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Being new to cheese curds in general and particularly fried ones, I just found it really weird because every time I would eat one my taste buds expect fried mozzarella and then didn’t get that flavor and got a slightly different flavor instead.

Definitely gonna have to check out these pretzel things not sure I have ever noticed them on the menu. Culvers is a magical land with so many secrets yet to be revealed to me

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The pretzel bites also come with some good cheese dip. The truly indulgent move is to order both and then dunk curds in the sauce :yum:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Culver's is expanding here, first restaurant scheduled in October.

I'm curious to see how it stands up to Freddie's frozen custard which started with a similar burger and even expanded the men to add cheese curds and other things from culver's.

I haven't been there in years because it's far enough away I'd have to eat there and I don't really eat in since I work from home 95% of the time now so lunch break is about cheap and speed instead of time off work.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Having had both, I prefer Culver's hands down, but both are decent choices compared to other places.

Another day in the life of Randabis...

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Wendigee posted:

Culver's is expanding here, first restaurant scheduled in October.

I'm curious to see how it stands up to Freddie's frozen custard which started with a similar burger and even expanded the men to add cheese curds and other things from culver's.

I haven't been there in years because it's far enough away I'd have to eat there and I don't really eat in since I work from home 95% of the time now so lunch break is about cheap and speed instead of time off work.

Best menu items:
Deluxe or Mushroom and Swiss Butterburger
Diet Root Beer
Cod Fillet Sandwich
Turtle Sundae

Fries and Cheese curds are good but not why you should go there

The seasonal walleye sandwich is even better than the cod

Food is made to order so expect to wait, especially at the drive through

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The patty melt (sourdough melt?) is really good too with American cheese. Comes with cheddar but it doesn’t melt as nice as American imo. Big fan of the pot roast sandwich too if you don’t want full on burger.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Randabis posted:

Having had both, I prefer Culver's hands down, but both are decent choices compared to other places.

Agree. Culver's is better but Freddie's is also pretty good. Their curds suck rear end compared to Culver's though, don't get those.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Culver's pot roast and fish fry dinners are legit good, also.

That pot roast has saved me so many times when you just dont want the usual from all the fast food places but your wife does, and you dont want to spend $50 eating at a restaurant.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't explored the whole menu but everything I have ever had from a Culver's, at any location, has been legitimately great. It's impressive for a fast food chain.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't explored the whole menu but everything I have ever had from a Culver's, at any location, has been legitimately great. It's impressive for a fast food chain.

The chicken tenders are pretty meh. Only weak point I have found so far

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i like the spicy tenders, but the regular ones aren't anything special

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Speaking of things at Culver's that do and don't live up to expectations, here's my thoughts off the top of my head, most of which I've probably already said earlier in the thread.

I typically really like a good pork tenderloin sandwich, but theirs is paper thin when it comes to the pork. Like only a quarter inch thick, more breading than meat level of thin. I haven't had one from there in years, but the few times I did I kept hoping I had just gotten unlucky the last time just to be disappointed again.

It's especially disappointing to me since pork tenderloin sandwiches are extremely rare out here for some strange reason, so seeing one on any menu is likely enough to convince me to give it a shot, only to have it be so lackluster there, which is highlighted by the rest of the menu being pretty good. I haven't ordered one in years from there, so maybe things have changed, but every time I tried it I was let down.

I'm not a big fan of their crinkle fries either, but I'm also of the opinion that crinkle fries are probably the worst fry type, unless they are just a base for something else, like cheese or chili or whatever. They aren't horrible, but clearly are the inferior side.

I haven't had the pot roast, but I have heard good things. No personal experience with the onion rings or soups either. I didn't even know about the pretzel bites until the other day from this thread.

The butter burger, cheese curds and vanilla custard are all obvious pro moves.

The walleye, when it is in season, is another thing you can't get most places out here, and for fish from a "fast food" place it greatly exceeds expectations.

Finally, if you haven't had their unique brand of root beer, you are missing out. I don't drink diet so I don't know about that, but the regular version that they have on its own special tap is legit amazing.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I live in Indiana and there's this stretch across Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa where every place sells a BPT sandwich. It's great. It's probably my favorite sandwich. I like them thick and bun-sized, but it seems like other people really like them flat and wide.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Their diet root beer is good.

The pork tenderloin is our state sandwich I think. They usually pound the out the size of a dinner plate.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
tried the peanut butter, bacon, and jam pub burger tonight and it was p tasty!

edit: I guess the one i go to is one of their test locations. neato.

wife asked if i would get it again, and I would

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 1, 2023

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

They have to up their tartar sauce game because the cod sandwich was dry.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Curderburger coming back starting October 2. Never had one, probably never will, I still participate in the hype for some reason.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I'll probably get around to trying it if its gonna be around for more than a day this time

Anyone had the pepper pub burger that I only learned about 30 seconds ago while looking up the curderburger? The OG pub burger is probably my favorite fast food burg so if its even close to that :getin:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the onion rings are different

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

for better or for worse?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Had onion rings last night. They're the same, but half were fried to death.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
they are very much different in my area, went to a thinner flour type of coating, thinner coating and a different flavor. they're not bad, but i think the originals were better

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://x.com/Q_Review/status/1744527165998420452?s=20

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
was driving out of my usual stomping grounds a bit for work and lo and behold: the first culvers I’ve ever seen showed up in front of me around lunch time.

so i had to stop and try it finally. great curds. almost perfect burger (the onions were super sharp and pungent which I’m usually on board with but this was one of those onions that probably tear gassed the entire block once cut). would definitely go again if it wasn’t over an hour away.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Nikumatic posted:

was driving out of my usual stomping grounds a bit for work and lo and behold: the first culvers I’ve ever seen showed up in front of me around lunch time.

so i had to stop and try it finally. great curds. almost perfect burger (the onions were super sharp and pungent which I’m usually on board with but this was one of those onions that probably tear gassed the entire block once cut). would definitely go again if it wasn’t over an hour away.

Next time you can ask for grilled onions instead. They’re free and delicious.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I did not know this, and it sounds like a pro move.

I agree with Nikumatic that I like strong onions, but the red onions Culver's uses are admittedly pretty potent, though I still like them. However, with the slightly burnt taste (in a good grilled sort of way) the butterburgers have, I bet grilled onions would go with the patty really well!

I just hope I remember this for next time!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I like reg onions on reg burgers, but on smashed burgers like Culvers fried/grilled onions rock. There is definitely some weird synergy going on with the seared beef.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

speaking of, the patty melt is a low key banger when I'm not feeling the usual burg with the works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010