Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I didn't know you could get them in 5L sizes. I'll have a look.
That 5L screenwash bottle that is in there on the RHS now just squeezes in. All the rest I have of that general shape are either a touch too high or too fat.

Screenwash bottle will be fine for oil, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I was wondering that too!. That particular bottle is gonna become a water bottle first once i finish the screenwash off!

What oil do you use in that thing anyway? I used to put Halfords' Vintage 20w50 in my 3.5; the cans that came in would be about perfect in that locker.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I let the moss grow on mine and kept it as a little mobile garden <3

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Passenger door all painted and refitted with interior trim.

I separated the base from the door top too so I could fit a missing bit of trim that goes inbetween them as its absence meant it was leaking water in behind the door skin. I also replaced the window runners on the door top as the old ones were more like window boxes.

Mine were filled with moss; I was quite sad to lose my little garden when I replaced them.

I used the plastic channels from the Series II club shop instead of the metal ones, seemed slightly less likely to rust.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

That one was so full that it no longer moved!

That plastic channel looks like good stuff and I want some!

I rang them about getting some of it but they only sell it pre-cut for series vehicles to make shipping easier and I need different lengths for the 101. They will sell it in full lengths but only if you collect from the guy who does their shop or get it from him at a show. They would cut it for the 101 for me if I gave them the measurements as they didn't already have them.

I do actually now have the required measurements carefully stored in a note on my phone and was going to order some but had to put in a 101 part specific order yesterday and they had the standard stuff for £11 so I thought i'd just do that because i had the door apart and would like to open the window while its warm out. i'll upgrade it to the better stuff later!

Ah well. For a lame bit of plastic extrusion it does work very well — but it's not worth losing sleep over!

I had the same trouble as you with the mid-door seal strip thing too; I had some rubber strapping left over from a project that fit just right. Think it originally came from Pentonville rubber (worth a mooch if you're in the capital)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I am getting a voltage drop at my rear view cam which causes it to sometimes drop below 12v and cut out briefly. This happens briefly whenever the rear lights do anything (so tap the brakes/indicate/turn side lights on)
Aha! This one's easy, it's a bad ground.

Tomarse posted:

My years of lovely Landrover and lucas experience tell me this is a bad ground.

However - I rewired this truck and was really careful with grounds.
Oh, tits.

Tomarse posted:

(except for the number plate light which only has one wire to it)
Hmm... is this permanently on, or does it switch on with the tail lamps?

meltie fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 21, 2020

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Pull the number plate bulb and try again

Seconding this. Weird that our spidey-senses went off at the same time.

meltie fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 21, 2020

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

The same thought already came to me. I disconnected the number plate light totally and it makes no difference.

Nuts.

Alright, try this: turn on your side lamps and use your multimeter to measure the voltage between the far ends of the same wire (obviously might have to extend your probe leads from one end of the vehicle to the other!)

With the circuit operating, the voltage difference between the two ends of the wire run should be ~0V. If you see a potential difference while the circuit is operating, that's a suspect wire with high resistance.

Perhaps after testing each wire in the cable and turning up nothing, you'll find a volt or two lost over a crappy terminal or through an old relay.

I check runs this way instead of using the built-in resistance test as the battery in the multimeter often isn't meaty enough to show up problems in-situ.

meltie fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 21, 2020

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Its been smelling a bit petroly and I thought my tank might be seeping again but then i knocked the fuel feed pipe and noticed it was split and leaking at the tank

This doesn't bode well for the rest of the fuel line which is only 3 or 4 years old. Might also explain the crappy start-up I've been experiencing recently.

Mine did that, but at the pump end, which for me was by the gearbox. Similar age pipe too.

I discovered it in a petrol station when I lifted the seat to refill.

The split end was dripping fuel all over the hot exhaust pipe :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
time to learn TIG! ;)