Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

come to a detroit city fc match and i will buy you a beer

Seriouspost:
NISA is going to be an absolute shitshow. It'll be fun to see how big of one it'll be.

Spring teams: California United Strikers FC, Chattanooga FC, Detroit City FC, Los Angeles Force, Michigan Stars FC (lol), Oakland Roots SC, San Diego 1904 FC, Stumptown Athletic
Fall additions: New York Cosmos
2021 additions: Connecticut, Providence

Detroit City FC had a killer 2019 season; the first half, a traditional NPSL season in which first-year head coach Trevor James led a summer squad to a 10-1-3 regular season record and a +33 goal differential and a post-season birth, failing to advance on PKs against Cleveland SC in the Regional Final. They also won the fall NPSL Members Cup, at 8-1-1 and a +13 GD. This year, they're adding a UWS women's side helmed by Sam Piraine; they'll occupy the typical NPSL summer slot.
First men's match is 2/28 @ LA Force, first home match is 3/21 vs Oakland Roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

DCFC is the most fun I've had at a sporting event since graduating college. I'm moving back to Detroit in October and may end up being one of the team physicians if it all works out. I'm a bit torn on the latter part because I'm not sure I'd enjoy the games as much without drinking, singing, and yelling poo poo at opposing players with bad haircuts.

Oh that's rad! When did you move away? If the vibe at the team clubhouse is anything to go by, gameday should be fun. It's been incredibly cool to be down at the Fieldhouse, grab a beer, and run into a couple players or one of the owners as they're hanging out after practice or something and chat with them for a bit. I know this vibe will disappear at some point if they keep growing, but it's been wonderful to experience over the years. Hopefully you'll get to see all the crazy stuff that's happened in whatever the interim has been.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

I moved in July so I missed out on the Members Cup season. However, I did trek from NYC out to Long Island to see them beat the Cosmos. The local fans threw beer at us and tried to steal a flag — it was a bit of a poo poo show. The Rouge Rovers were extremely nice and got me good and drunk, and someone gave me a ride back to the LIRR station. I missed out on the afterparty at the hotel because I really didn’t want to get stranded in Nassau County.

i was there as well! and it was an absolute shitshow! i think i talked about the experience in the previous thread, it wasn’t even fun unwelcoming, just incredibly stupid.
did you by any chance pregame in the parking lot with ngs folks? if so, any chance you spraypainted paint tifo on the asphalt before the match?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

I did pregame in the parking lot but did not spray paint the tifo.
small world, there's a non-zero chance we've met.

Do over Ham posted:

A few teams in lower division soccer (NY Cosmos, Atlanta Silverbacks, Orlando City) have attracted rather lovely "ultra"-wannabees over the years, who like to start fights, steal flags and scarves, etc.
that sucks. it's funny, the people who made it out to detroit for the cosmos away match were generally pretty chill from what i remember. hopefully that doesn't change, we've never really had any major incidents with opposing supporters otherwise.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TheTrend posted:

Anyone been to any Roots games? Thinking about hitting up one or two.

watched the Chattanooga game on stream, seems like they're doing all the right things there, seems totally worth checking out. who knows, you might get to see their first win, hah

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Do over Ham posted:

Speaking of Arby's 2, Rowdies finally won a game on the road in NY/NJ, this past Saturday, which is like, the first time ever for the Rowdies, I think (not counting Rochester, also, I think), circa 1975-2020 (NY Cosmos/RBNY inclusive)? That's quite the long on-the-road losing streak.

evan louro had a brief spell with detroit city and was an absolute monster between the pipes. occasionally some rb2 highlights of his roll into my twitter feed, but man i wish that dude would get a shot at the big times.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

so with everything popping off today, i’m assuming there will be no detroit city fc home opener on 3/21. the state is “recommending” that gatherings of >100 people are cancelled or restricted and other leagues are making big moves in terms of event attendance
the interesting economic thing is uhh... some of these nisa teams likely can’t entirely shoulder the cost of a cancelled or heavily postponed spring season. it’ll be very, very interesting to see how things shake out.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 12, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dadjokes posted:

DCFC showing their true colors now that they dont have to play to their woke fanbase.

That got a legitimate guffaw out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

cosmos are going on hiatus for this upcoming season as well, it appears. hopefully not taking yet another league out with them.