Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous

here is how cars work:

okay first you have to get gasoline, which is flammable in a special controllable way. you put the gasoline in a chamber, and then with a "spark plug" and electricity you burn the gas. it makes a vapour that goes through special holes in the gas tank. this vapour pushes a bunch of... like can thingies? arranged around a crank thingy? anyway this makes the crank thing spin really fast and with lots of force, and that's useful! are the vapour gets used to push the can things it goes out the exhaust tube at the back. i think somewhere along this part is where the muffler is? it makes things quieter.

next you use the magic of gears (transmission??) to make the spin transfer to different things that also spin, like tires. tires are semi-flexible so they can go over rough stuff and grip patterns so they can go over smooth stuff. gears also make it so when you turn the steering wheel it turns the front wheels so you can steer.

there's the gas pedal which i guess lets more/less gas into the chamber where it gets burned? the other pedal is the brakes, which uses.... um mechanics to put friction on the tires when you need to slow down

some cars have a stick and clutch for changing gears but others do that for you. i have no idea how any of that works!

tell me how something you don't understand works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao

A clock works by storing up lots of 'energy' inside tiny little springs, and thousands of gears turning so that they match the frequency of god's ear. When god hears their whispers, and if it's a good enough clock, god will whisper the correct time to them, and they will turn to display that to the user.

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Heather Papps

hello friend

i don't know for sure how birth control works, but i'm pretty sure the pill is made of a trillion tiny robots with guns and they surround the egg and shoot the sperm to stop them from being gross.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
quantum physics is like, okay, so, there's four balls

crimes

catapede

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Heather Papps posted:

i don't know for sure how birth control works, but i'm pretty sure the pill is made of a trillion tiny robots with guns and they surround the egg and shoot the sperm to stop them from being gross.

Ah yes, I've heard about this. I use Nexplanon, though. It's too difficult for the gun robots to get to the uterus from the arm, so Nexplanon works by making your blood poison so no babies can reside inside the body.

Macnult

they put water and it becomes ice and
uhh
fuckin uhhh
somehow it becomes snow? the cold makes it possible for sure

Macnult

you eat the banana, drink the water, and you won’t be hungover the next day, K?

FluffieDuckie

Cell Phones:

I talk into my phone and the other person hears what I’m saying but there are no wires connecting the phones so my voice travels through the air but no one else can hear it because of science.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

City of Glompton

i could sure hear the lady talking on her phone in the bathroom yesterday at work. how can we get science to fix that?

anyway, the internet - it's like a whole bunch of computers and they all have a whole bunch of spreadsheets of information and i type in what i want to know and they show that to some ad executive so he pays for the computers to show me what they think i want to know from the spreadsheets plus what related items the ad executive says i should buy

Finger Prince

A computer program is like a lot of weird words and mainly assorted brackets and parentheses which tell a computer to put ones over here and zeros over there and vice versa, but computers contain almost uncountable numbers of ones and zeros, so the brackets and weird words make assumptions about groups of them so humans that understand how this stuff works and also the computer itself can do things with them without having to think about the fact that it's all just turning on these specific trillion transistors but not these other trillions of transistors, in a very specific order, trillions of times a second.

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
You can plug two computers together and they can send each other ones and zeroes, but you have to do it in exactly the right way. There are like a million tiny walls that can stop the ones and zeroes so you have to be a huge nerd and understand linux in order to transfer files between computers, which is why the internet and computers are so great.

alexandriao

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

quantum physics is like, okay, so, there's four balls

FOUR balls you say? Man that quantum dude is hung! If only his dick wasn't quanta :(

alexandriao

Chemistry is about lots of tiny little balls connected to each other with electricity like tiny little wires but without the wires and sometimes the way the balls connect means they have different electrical charges on one end of the balls than the other, and some of those ways the balls connect are against the laws in your country and you're not allowed to own any balls that connect in that way and other ways the balls connect are legal and you can own those and it turns out putting some balls into other balls means that the first set of balls will break apart or mix with the second set of balls to make new kinds of balls but you can never delete these balls without causing a HUGE EXPLOSIONS, and sometimes when you put balls into other balls they might stop clumping together and feeling like a liquid and turn into tiny groups of the balls and that feels like a powder, and that's how you do organic chemistry is by finding types of balls that when you put the balls you have into them, some parts of that, the bits that you want, feel more like a powder but the bits that you don't want feel more like a liquid and that means you can filter out the bits you don't want and get only the bits you want. Also some times to get the balls to make new connections you have to heat it up or cool it or stir it.

Finger Prince

A man sometimes has a desire to understand how things work. But the man may not have the technical or other background to really understand how they work. However, for some reason, maybe it's genetics or maybe some sexual selection thing, having intelligence or wisdom, or having the appearance of having intelligence or wisdom, is seen to the man as a desirable trait. As a result of this, a man often feels the compelled to explain how things work to other people, so that he appears smart and wise. Also, because of gender bias, societal makeup, and probably a whole host of other reasons, women are often assumed by men to not have this specific, technical, or esoteric knowledge. After all, it was only through the reading and remembering of several Wikipedia entries that the man came to this knowledge in the first place. So when the man attempts to explain how something which he had a passing enough interest to learn some facts about works, particularly to a woman, it is called "mansplaining".

Goons Are Gifts

Ok so this is actually pretty easy, Mitosis is when a cell divides into two and becomes two cells, that is done by reforming the inner structure of the cell nucleus and transcribing the DNA that is lying inside the core into something actually readable. Then the cell waits for the DNA reader to show up and read the DNA, it's kinda similar to e-book reading actually. So this guy drops by, reads the DNA and then the cell is disgruntled by his constructive critique, because who the gently caress does that guy think he is??
Like, for real, does he write highly complex multi-million base strings? No, he doesn't, he's just some nerd and it's drat rude to be so negative about everything. The cell then throws some insults around and divides into two and start writing DNA again.

Jesus, everyone is a critic these days.

frump truck

hello... again!

there are particles, and then there are waves, which are both a type of something? not matter? i don't think waves are matter but i don't know what they are. anyway, something can be one or the other, except light, which is both, or maybe neither, it depends. and you can't really tell what it does because light is super shy and when you look at it it's like "aah stop looking at me GROSS" and behaves totally differently than it does when you're NOT looking at it even though light does not have senses or a brain or a personality (as far as we know and gently caress if i know how we even know that because we have to look at something to see the results of its behavior so in conclusion basically light is pulling a fast one on all of us. the end.

frump truck

hello... again!

caterpillar eat plant and think "plant taste bad" and then build little tiny prison-house. caterpillar turn goo and little tiny prison-house is just now GOO HOUSE. then goo become solid again somehow and caterpillar get power of flight. very poetic and taste freedom truly first time. but flying goo bird remember that plant taste bad. must be pretty bad!

frump truck fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 7, 2020

Finger Prince

Plant cells have special structures that are some kind of quantum engine that, when struck by a photon, are able to break the carbon off of carbon dioxide and combine it with water to make more plant cells. But it needs other elements like phosphorus and stuff to facilitate the reaction, which is why they also need soil or fertilizer. They just expel the oxygen left over from the carbon dioxide, which is helpful if you're an animal instead of a plant.

frump truck

hello... again!

when god's tears get cold enough you can strap little suits of armor to your feet to help you slide around better

alexandriao

Music is waves that taste funny

Or more concretely, music is when the stuff we breathe in decides to get excited and vibrates, and that makes it taste funny to your ears, and your brain makes this taste into the stuff we hear :o freaky

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
TV has tiny people in it, willy wonka was a documentary

this is why it's important to recycle electronics properly

take the moon

by sebmojo
terf stands for a Transforming Energy Robot Field and your typical feminist is a blood type blue

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Spicy food is just a bunch of little match heads that flare up as you eat it. Yum!

sig by owlhawk911

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
when u smoek a we'd your lungs deliver the freshly combusted cannabanoids to your bloodstream. the cannabanoids soon reach ur brain and enter your brain's highly specialized cannabanoid receptors which then partially deprive ur brain of oxygen. This in turn makes your feet hover approximately 1 centimeter off the floor for an hour or so. This is why they call it "getting high". V useful for reaching the cookie jar.

alexandriao

Once upon a time people decided it would be easier explaining how rock throwing works to the rear end in a top hat Frank if they drew a diagram in the sand

Then some absolute boss realised he could build an easier house if he made lots of tiny sheets of wood pulp instead of slathering it on like a madman. They some guy got squid ink or maybe some mud on some of the dried wood pulp and it stayed there, and he couldn't get it out. His son was also unable to throw so he decided to draw a diagram of how rock throwing works in the sand. But!!! No sand??? What do!!!! Well that particular guy ended up using pig guts and his wall but his neighbor realised how it would be easier to do that with a stick of plant and some dried wood pulp.

Hundreds of years later some girl made an artwork and she wanted everyone to have to see her artwork so she figured out a way to put ink on her dried wood pulp, and push it on another bit of dried wood pulp, and so she could make the same artwork hundreds of times. She stuck them to some buildings as a "graffito" (as the kids say these days)

Then years later some guy realised if you make little squares of metal and shove distilled mud or ink on it, you can do lots of writings much faster and much clearer than the artwork method, so since them everyone's been using that

pixaal

While this was happening some guy figured out certain types of sand interact strangely with electricity changing the voltage eventually he figured out a way to make the sand add numbers very very slowly. It took several hours but it told him that 1 plus 1 was 2. It took the man under a second to verify that this was accurate so he tried other numbers, they too were correct.

Over time more people figure out how to make the sand do math even faster but not just that, do fancy math that can also be words not just numbers. Artists now use this fancy sand to draw pictures but it can only be seen on other fancy sand.

This is where our stories join as someone made a way for the fancy math sand make heated dead dinosaurs and a different bunch of math sand shoot ink onto the wood pulp. Now people anywhere on the sphere can attach their wood pulp math sand to their math sand and get an artists math sand and make a copy of the artists squid ink with pigment art! The artist does need to share their math sand, typically known as a jay peg.

sig by owlhawk911

Morality_Police

Stranger in a Strange Land
So, cooking, right? It's like, you take raw stuff like vegetables...like carrots, broccoli or chickens, etc. And then you apply heat and maybe some spices - which are actually just other raw stuff!! - and it turns into food. So that's cool.

Morality_Police

you can also use stuff that's not vegetables, OBVIOUSLY

pixaal

I used a tree and a hot glue gun, I don't think this is food a little help? It tastes like bark and glue and I think I have a splinter.

sig by owlhawk911

Morality_Police

what kind of tree

biosterous

the stock market:

so long ago when the idea of money made a bit more sense, if you signed up for like working on a cargo ship or something you would get a "share" or maybe like a hhalf-share or quarter-share if you were some newbie who wasn't useful yet. then when the ship made a profit, it would get split up among the people who had shares. ten buck profit, ten shares, everyone gets a dollar hooray

then at some point you could get shares in things that you weren't actually part of. you would give them money for a share and then you'd still get profit even though you didn't do the work! but i guess you funded some of the work so it's still not too bad. then companies got huge, and corporations became a thing, and also you could buy shares off of someone now? so even though you didn't do any of the work, and you didn't fund any of the work, you could still get some of the profit and that's kinda messed up, a little bit anyway.

at some point someone said "actually i don't care about how much profit this share gets me, i want to sell it based on how much it might be worth later" and someone else said "yes that is good, that makes sense, i will gamble with you on this" and bought the share. and then everyone started doing it with all the shares all the time! now it's a fancy and dumb way of gambling i guess? people bet that a company with shares will make a big profit later, so the price of shares goes up, and then they sell them because they don't actually care about the profit as much as how the idea of profit makes the price go up, what the heck

i think there's also a way to bet that the price will go down, and make money that way? how does that work, this makes no sense

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

beards: if your body naturally produces certain chemicals, or if you eat those chemicals, hair starts pushing its way out of your face, but only in certain places. why not the rest of your face???

the hair also acts differently from all the rest of your hair, and it can be a different colour too, because of genetics probably

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

byob: you post things and tell jokes and people are nice. unlike everywhere else on the internet people are not ironic or detached or mean! i don't understand how it ended up so great (probably because of rad mods and rad posters) but it's great

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

torrents: you go to a :filez: website and tell it which tv show you want, and it gives you a list. most of the options are wrong but the right one is probably there too. then you open the magnet link, which is a special link that tells your browser to open your torrent program instead of doing regular internet things. your torrent program asks some central location to tell it who has the same torrent file, and then your computer starts chatting with their computers and trading bits of tv show. sometimes you will have the first half of the show and someone else has the second half, and then you just trade all the bits and it's great. but sometimes for some reason everybody has the same 69% or a show and you all just sit there not trading and it's a mild bummer

biosterous fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 8, 2020

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

vpn: this is a computer thing to make the internet more safe. instead of going to the internet store yourself, you give instructions to your pal dave and he goes to the store instead of you. dave is trustworthy. everybody gives dave their internet instructions and he goes out and does the internet stuff and then sends the results back to everyone. dave is also very forgetful, as soon as he's sent you your internet things he forgets what you asked, so if the cops ask dave what you've been up to he doesn't remember. dave can't snitch even if he wanted to, which he doesn't, because dave the vpn is your friend

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

ssri antidepressants: you eat these and after a while they hang out in your brain, and then just chill until your brain releases seratonin for whatever reason. the seratonin makes you feel good. then when your brain goes to vacuum the seratonin back up, the drugs start chatting with the seratonin and get it to chill out a little longer. then you feel good more/longer and that makes it easier to do things like shower and go to work and post

this works because of chemistry

biosterous fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 8, 2020

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

social media algorithms: someone wrote some math that tells the social media computers what posts to show you. the computer always makes the wrong decision and everyone is unhappy with it but then they don't change anything. it shows you bad posts and it puts them out of order. you tell the social media that you want to see the posts in order, and only the good ones please, and maybe it does for a bit but then it switches back because the social media computer is poisoned with bad math. then you go to byob instead and the posts are in order and they're all good, because there is no wrong math messing things up

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

digestion: you eat a food, and then your stomach dumps acid on it to melt it down. then your stomach and your intestines squeeze all the good bits out of the food and turn the rest into poop. how do they know which bits are the good bits? not by taste, because all of the bits taste good when you eat the food unless you eat bad food. anyway then your guts turn the good food bits into rad muscles and a cute butt and skeleton repair

gallery of sigs

he/him

Robot Made of Meat

What your body wants to eat is salt. That's it. Just salt.

But because there's a limited number of salts and salt isn't fattening, nature made meat and other things that aren't meat taste better to you if they're covered in salt. As a result, you are programmed to eat tasty, fatty, salty things (even though all you really want is salt).

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

a dog is a wolf, but your friend!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!