Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Gravity-

alright, you know what?

gently caress dark matter. gently caress dark energy, too. It's stupid. it's magic mumbo-jumbo because saying "welp, we just don't know what the gently caress it is :shrug:" is too difficult to wrap your mind around when your mind in this case is the size of the universe now get over yourselves and quench your egos like one of those weapon smiths on Forged in Fire, but the ones that do it right and don't get yelled at out loud by the judges because they clearly did it the wrong way, screwed up the quench and now their blade won't keel because it BROKE like Isildur's sword and gather around kids, that's right- get sucked down into my gravity well and get comfortable and orbit for a bit because I'm gonna make it real easy for all the eggheads out there with their slide rules and their star charts and letters next to their education and explain to you what gravity is.

Space/time is what happens when there's an area out there **waves hands out into the sky, but pretty far out there** that has virtually no matter present in it. When you add matter to an area of space/time that's pretty much empty **makes air quotes**, space is pushed out of the way by matter, like a grape in the middle of a jello mold, and time remains; that's why objects in space spin. Time. It matters now, because matter is there, but not space, and it has no clue at ALL what to do. So it just spins. Sure, sure- you're thinking "but, but- what about conservation of angular momentum?" and you'd have a point, but you should still shut the hell up about it because it's not the full story.

Space doesn't like it when you push it around. None the less mass shoves it out of the way, because density and atoms and electrons and valence shells and molecular bonds; you know the drill. All that garbage tells space to piss off, and it does. But it can't do poo poo about it- so it just sits there and waits, it sulks- until some other mass comes near it. If the mass is small, then what happens is the shoved out of the way or, to save me some key strokes, the warped space entices the smaller object in with promises of sex and drugs and illicit music renderings, forcing it to smack into the larger body or burn up in it's atmosphere if it has one, to the amusement of space.

It IS warped.

If the object is a great deal larger though space is all like, "sweet- that old German guy was right, all that M is gonna turn into a metric fuckton of E and I'll be out of here at the speed of C because gently caress matter when it gets vaporized and me and time can be best buds again!"

But you won't find any of THAT in a science book.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU