Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous

here is how cars work:

okay first you have to get gasoline, which is flammable in a special controllable way. you put the gasoline in a chamber, and then with a "spark plug" and electricity you burn the gas. it makes a vapour that goes through special holes in the gas tank. this vapour pushes a bunch of... like can thingies? arranged around a crank thingy? anyway this makes the crank thing spin really fast and with lots of force, and that's useful! are the vapour gets used to push the can things it goes out the exhaust tube at the back. i think somewhere along this part is where the muffler is? it makes things quieter.

next you use the magic of gears (transmission??) to make the spin transfer to different things that also spin, like tires. tires are semi-flexible so they can go over rough stuff and grip patterns so they can go over smooth stuff. gears also make it so when you turn the steering wheel it turns the front wheels so you can steer.

there's the gas pedal which i guess lets more/less gas into the chamber where it gets burned? the other pedal is the brakes, which uses.... um mechanics to put friction on the tires when you need to slow down

some cars have a stick and clutch for changing gears but others do that for you. i have no idea how any of that works!

tell me how something you don't understand works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

the stock market:

so long ago when the idea of money made a bit more sense, if you signed up for like working on a cargo ship or something you would get a "share" or maybe like a hhalf-share or quarter-share if you were some newbie who wasn't useful yet. then when the ship made a profit, it would get split up among the people who had shares. ten buck profit, ten shares, everyone gets a dollar hooray

then at some point you could get shares in things that you weren't actually part of. you would give them money for a share and then you'd still get profit even though you didn't do the work! but i guess you funded some of the work so it's still not too bad. then companies got huge, and corporations became a thing, and also you could buy shares off of someone now? so even though you didn't do any of the work, and you didn't fund any of the work, you could still get some of the profit and that's kinda messed up, a little bit anyway.

at some point someone said "actually i don't care about how much profit this share gets me, i want to sell it based on how much it might be worth later" and someone else said "yes that is good, that makes sense, i will gamble with you on this" and bought the share. and then everyone started doing it with all the shares all the time! now it's a fancy and dumb way of gambling i guess? people bet that a company with shares will make a big profit later, so the price of shares goes up, and then they sell them because they don't actually care about the profit as much as how the idea of profit makes the price go up, what the heck

i think there's also a way to bet that the price will go down, and make money that way? how does that work, this makes no sense

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

beards: if your body naturally produces certain chemicals, or if you eat those chemicals, hair starts pushing its way out of your face, but only in certain places. why not the rest of your face???

the hair also acts differently from all the rest of your hair, and it can be a different colour too, because of genetics probably

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

byob: you post things and tell jokes and people are nice. unlike everywhere else on the internet people are not ironic or detached or mean! i don't understand how it ended up so great (probably because of rad mods and rad posters) but it's great

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

torrents: you go to a :filez: website and tell it which tv show you want, and it gives you a list. most of the options are wrong but the right one is probably there too. then you open the magnet link, which is a special link that tells your browser to open your torrent program instead of doing regular internet things. your torrent program asks some central location to tell it who has the same torrent file, and then your computer starts chatting with their computers and trading bits of tv show. sometimes you will have the first half of the show and someone else has the second half, and then you just trade all the bits and it's great. but sometimes for some reason everybody has the same 69% or a show and you all just sit there not trading and it's a mild bummer

biosterous fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 8, 2020

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

vpn: this is a computer thing to make the internet more safe. instead of going to the internet store yourself, you give instructions to your pal dave and he goes to the store instead of you. dave is trustworthy. everybody gives dave their internet instructions and he goes out and does the internet stuff and then sends the results back to everyone. dave is also very forgetful, as soon as he's sent you your internet things he forgets what you asked, so if the cops ask dave what you've been up to he doesn't remember. dave can't snitch even if he wanted to, which he doesn't, because dave the vpn is your friend

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

ssri antidepressants: you eat these and after a while they hang out in your brain, and then just chill until your brain releases seratonin for whatever reason. the seratonin makes you feel good. then when your brain goes to vacuum the seratonin back up, the drugs start chatting with the seratonin and get it to chill out a little longer. then you feel good more/longer and that makes it easier to do things like shower and go to work and post

this works because of chemistry

biosterous fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 8, 2020

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

social media algorithms: someone wrote some math that tells the social media computers what posts to show you. the computer always makes the wrong decision and everyone is unhappy with it but then they don't change anything. it shows you bad posts and it puts them out of order. you tell the social media that you want to see the posts in order, and only the good ones please, and maybe it does for a bit but then it switches back because the social media computer is poisoned with bad math. then you go to byob instead and the posts are in order and they're all good, because there is no wrong math messing things up

gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

digestion: you eat a food, and then your stomach dumps acid on it to melt it down. then your stomach and your intestines squeeze all the good bits out of the food and turn the rest into poop. how do they know which bits are the good bits? not by taste, because all of the bits taste good when you eat the food unless you eat bad food. anyway then your guts turn the good food bits into rad muscles and a cute butt and skeleton repair

gallery of sigs

he/him