Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HbbzHK5Mc

The third evil clown movie in five months has finally arrived. Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn is the second feature-length film from Cathy Yan, a girl-squad action-comedy romp that plays out like Nicolas Winding Refn did Charlie’s Angels. Surprisingly violent, vulgar, and crass, the film has its R rating on full display, and takes DC adaptations in a wildly different direction.

Harley Quinn was last seen in 2016’s Suicide Squad, a film with some good ideas that was butchered and then served all raw and full of salmonella. Still portrayed by Margot Robbie, she joins the titular Birds of Prey from comics I haven’t read in a struggle against Roman Sionis (aka Black Mask) and Victor Zsasz (aka creepy fucker) as she deals with the fallout from her breakup with the Joker, who is not Joaquin Phoenix, it’s a long story don’t worry about it.

Is this set in the DCEU?

Surprisingly, yes. I’m as shocked as you are.

Why should I see this again?

It’s under two hours, and goons seem to complain about long movies a lot. It’s getting pretty good reviews, it’s got Chad Stahelski (the John Wick director) working on the action scenes, and if you’re not completely sick of superhero movies, this one at least looks different enough to hold some attention.

Is there a post-credits scene?

There is an audio-only gag that is approximately five seconds long. And no, it doesn't tease anything about future movies.

Where can I legally watch Cathy Yan’s previous movie, Dead Pigs?

This isn’t a hypothetical person asking, this is me, OP. Please let me know if you find it.

Does Jared Leto show up?

Who?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
This looks like the proper sequel to Suicide Squad so I'm looking forward to it, and it looks good!

But I think SS is great even in spite of its flaws so it's possible I just like garbage

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
You could really tell Stahelski and his guys were a part of this, to a fault really. Every action scene boils down to "watch a group of stuntmen noticeably wait for the 90 pound actresses to hit their marks and then oversell the poo poo out their punches". I think it tells a lot that two of the main action set pieces take place in a) an evidence room of a police station and at b) an abandoned amusement park, two locations you'd think would allow for some creative, imaginative and fun improvised use of different kind of weapons, traps and stuff.
And yet, the scenes follow the same pattern of random goons firing at Harley and co., missing every time and then wait around for Robbie's stunt woman to perform some variation of a hurricanrana or a punch.

Other than that, the movie wastes a potentially interesting Harley Quinn film for a Macguffin chase with a messy script and a performance from Mcgregor that is hammy in an uncomfortable and a bad way. I liked the guy who played Zsasz, and Robbie was good as expected, and the few times they made the locations to feel like Gotham, instead of a random LA block, it was nice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Blood Boils posted:

This looks like the proper sequel to Suicide Squad so I'm looking forward to it, and it looks good!

But I think SS is great even in spite of its flaws so it's possible I just like garbage

I find Suicide Squad consistently... watchable?... in spite of having a lot of big flaws we've seen in a dozen previous comic book movies, including "villain has a blue beam going into the sky thing" and "a jillion faceless blob people zombie enemies that die easily."

But its faults don't annoy me like they do in other comic films. :iiam:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So Harley voted for Bernie, but advocates for personal income tax avoidance :psyduck: Not at all what I'd expect from a character with a PhD!

I'm glad the DCEU finally found its groove. Aquaman's schizophrenic bouncing between aping the Snyder aesthetic and Marvel humor was painful to watch; this time the comedy is more mean-spirited, but feels uniquely theirs - even Harley's talking to the camera comes off as a natural expression of the character instead of just doing female Deadpool

I also didn't expect so much Batman lore in there, that was a treat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This was surprisingly good and I loved the LGBT rep in it The beginning has Harley coming out as bisexual in the cartoon of her life

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
This was quite a blast.

I am actually astonished they managed to make it the entire film without having The Joker actually show up, because watching it there were a few moments where I was like "Here it comes, the cameo." and it never happens. Good on them, because I am sick of the Joker, and since it's Leto's Joker for this series, that would be double-lovely

The real stand out (besides Robbie, who has always had a great handle on this character) was Black Canary. Seriously surprised at how much I enjoyed that character because I've never been a fan of the comic Birds of Prey lineup.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I really enjoyed this and I wasnt excited for it at all.

Ewan McGregor stole the show for me. I absolutely loved every second of his screen time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I kinda loved this. Has a great look, the story zigzags around a lot in fun ways perfectly reflecting the narrative of someone who's not all there, and the action sequences were well done.

I also liked Helena being the awkward one not used to working with people at all, because of course her whole life has been Vengeance. Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays that really well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Also man I wish I knew a place that made a good egg sandwich.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just saw this in a pretty empty theater, and it was pretty good! Certainly in the top of the heap of DC cinematic efforts. Seems like it’s going to underperform though.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
The projections are 33 million and Warner was hoping for 45 million.

The good thing is they didn’t waste 150million on the budget. The budget was either 94 million or 84 million from a bunch of articles I read.

I’m hoping it has longevity and picks up steam because I want more low budget comic movies that let the director and writer do what they want. The blumhouse way :kiddo:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Loved the "Great in a fight but incredibly awkward at public speaking and in all social interactions" interpretation of Huntress. Because, yeah, someone who was trained since childhood to be a fighting machine and in nothing else would probably be incredibly socially awkward and would not spouting cool one-liners all the time. Very fun.

Also is it just me or were there some hints that Black Mask and Zsasz were gay and in love with eachother? There are definitely moments where each of them come off as rapey and menacingly intimidating towards various females, but it seems like more than anything they both hate women and are more interested in humiliating/maiming them than they are in having sexual intercourse with them. Black Mask had Black Canary under his employ for several years and she hates it but never mentions any instance of him trying to make a move on her.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I loved that the first time you see Huntress smile is when Harley says "...you killed his BFF..." and she gets this goofy little smile.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

bbf2 posted:

Loved the "Great in a fight but incredibly awkward at public speaking and in all social interactions" interpretation of Huntress. Because, yeah, someone who was trained since childhood to be a fighting machine and in nothing else would probably be incredibly socially awkward and would not spouting cool one-liners all the time. Very fun.

Also is it just me or were there some hints that Black Mask and Zsasz were gay and in love with eachother? There are definitely moments where each of them come off as rapey and menacingly intimidating towards various females, but it seems like more than anything they both hate women and are more interested in humiliating/maiming them than they are in having sexual intercourse with them. Black Mask had Black Canary under his employ for several years and she hates it but never mentions any instance of him trying to make a move on her.

Yeah there were definitely some undertones regarding their "relationship". Ewan McGregor has even acknowledged as much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot going on with Black Mask, to say the least. Including that he's apparently a Hillary Clinton voter.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot going on with Black Mask, to say the least. Including that he's apparently a Hillary Clinton voter.

Do they specifically say he’s a Clinton voter? He could be a Republican, they also hate Bernie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hollismason posted:

This was surprisingly good and I loved the LGBT rep in it The beginning has Harley coming out as bisexual in the cartoon of her life

Also Renee Montoya, who has long been an out lesbian in the comics, is stated to have at one point been dating the DA played by Ali Wong

Pirate Jet posted:

Do they specifically say he’s a Clinton voter? He could be a Republican, they also hate Bernie.

That's what I took the Bernie joke to mean. Black Mask being a Republican would make a ton of sense (I mean, the whole "Daddy didn't tell me he loved me, so I am striking out to prove myself despite never having wanted for anything in life" is basically Trump)

I keep laughing about the running joke where everyone calls Huntress "The Crossbow Killer" and it pisses her off. Her insisting that people do call her Huntress is much funnier knowing absolutely no one calls her that

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 8, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The movie was good! I honestly didnt mind that the choreography was weaker than with super trained martial artists because i dug Harley and Black Canarys fighting style so much.

It was cool and funny and honestly "you killed my sandwich" might be my favorite movie line of the year so far.

Pretty solid effort by DC. Margot Robbie is the ultimate harley quinn and all the new ladies were great.

Seconding the love for the awkward crossbow killer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I really hope this is the movie that Mary Elizabeth Winstead finally kinda blows up from, because god drat, she owned in this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One way the next film can step up is by giving Huntress rapport with everyone since she's pretty limited in this.

It's weird that Black Mask forcing that woman to dance on a table is given greater weight as an example of his villainy then when he casually ordered the murder of that family.

I didn't like Joker in hindsight because its very oscar-bait, and that by stripping away all the fantastic elements you've got a derivative film that succeeded in name recognition. Imagine if there's a Superman movie except he has no powers and works as a glass-blower in Belarus. Sure it would be a better movie than the three Henry Cavill movies, but it would be hedging its bets instead of being a proper superman movie.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you liked this, the new Harley Quinn cartoon series is surprisingly great.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Megazver posted:

If you liked this, the new Harley Quinn cartoon series is surprisingly great.

This!

Soundtack for BOP is fantastic

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 9, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I went in hearing a lot about how the other Bop were forgettable but I really want them to get their own film now. Black Canary was awesome, Montoya being a literal 80s movie cop was my favorite joke of the film and The Huntress was amazing.

My only real complaint is Cassandra Cain. Not because the character is bad but just how distracting it was to give her that name. They even make a joke early on about muteness and it feels pretty like... "we can't make a new character, what Asian Batman characters are there???" It is a small complaint in the end because I enjoyed her and Harleys dynamic, as cliche as it was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Jet posted:

Republicans don't care about Bernie voters except for mocking them. Clinton voters are still mad about Bernie voters for daring to exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Republicans don't care about Bernie voters except for mocking them. Clinton voters are still mad about Bernie voters for daring to exist.

There is no way he was a Clinton voter. Dude's hatred of women was an almost palpable force. He's one of those guys who voted for Trump and blamed Bernie and Clinton both for 'making him do it" while claiming he's a swing/independent voter in polls.

He would be all in on Buttgauge this election if he wasn't currently gooey chunks floating in the river.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

https://twitter.com/themycira/status/1224718855353917446?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sums up the film for me.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What does that mean?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

What does that mean?

It means he dumb

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I enjoyed this and my non comic fan girlfriend loved it. Fun movie, esp the glitter gun.

I also wondered about the undertones between roman and zsasz.

My only real complaint? Not enough bruce. Everything needs more hyena.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I could watch 30 more minutes of that scene in the diner the morning after, fantastic banter

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

l33tfuzzbox posted:

My only real complaint? Not enough bruce. Everything needs more hyena.

Absolutely. Give me more. I want Bud and Lou from the comics alongside Bruce in a future film. When they were done killing Roman, I was like "Cool, can we find out what happened to Bruce now?"

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Just got back from seeing this one. I was a little nervous about how good it would be after hearing how bad it's doing at the box office, but I really loved it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's weird that Black Mask forcing that woman to dance on a table is given greater weight as an example of his villainy then when he casually ordered the murder of that family.

It's because it's a movie about misogyny. In that context, of course the dancing scene has greater weight. And god drat, did that scene have weight. It did a great job of capturing the way you feel when you're on the receiving end of stuff like that.

ImpAtom posted:

My only real complaint is Cassandra Cain. Not because the character is bad but just how distracting it was to give her that name. They even make a joke early on about muteness and it feels pretty like... "we can't make a new character, what Asian Batman characters are there???" It is a small complaint in the end because I enjoyed her and Harleys dynamic, as cliche as it was.

Yeah, I kept expecting something from her comics backstory to crop up, but she was effectively just a new character with a recycled name.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I didn't like it very much.

There are individual parts that are very good and well-appreciated—Harley's descriptions of who wants her dead, Huntress's general awkwardness, the flashiness of the hand drawn titles—but the film is weighed down by excess baggage. It tries to juggle Harley Quinn's break-up and subsequent attempts to create an identity for herself, Black Mask's pursuit of the diamond, as well as the backstories and relationships of the four other Birds of Prey. The result is something manic and scattered like Quinn herself but not very enjoyable. There's no room to develop Quinn or her co-stars and so the movie falls back on surface-level zaniness like the beaver in the tutu.

There are individual moments that are compelling but the movie lacks internal cohesion. I kept wondering if this movie wouldn't have been stronger if the script had dumped its first half and instead started with Quinn already in Black Mask's clutches, allowing Quinn to work out her identity directly through the diamond job instead of going through the routine with the chemical plant. I feel like Black Mask could have been built into a better proxy for the Joker.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Most people care more about the poo poo they've actually experienced than abstract mafia/supervillain violence they've only seen on the telly. It's pretty much why people hated Skyler White and not Walter, even though Walter, objectively speaking, is the evil murderous drug kingpin - a lot of us have had to deal with people like that.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Liked the movie quite a bit, fun performances, didn't lag and had a handful of little filmmaking touches I liked-for example when Roman fell with the grenade, he pops like two seconds before you'd expect and it's so much more impactful

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The flashback to five minutes ago when the kid grabbed the grenade bothered me more than it should have but I liked it a lot otherwise. Margot Robbie is great as Harley Quinn, and I like how she’s played as a Bugs Bunny type with a passionate hatred of people’s knees. The rollerskate stuff at the end was great too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

Most people care more about the poo poo they've actually experienced than abstract mafia/supervillain violence they've only seen on the telly. It's pretty much why people hated Skyler White and not Walter, even though Walter, objectively speaking, is the evil murderous drug kingpin - a lot of us have had to deal with people like that.

People who called you out on lying and acting selfish while you gaslit and abused them?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Walter/Skylar thing is more due to Walter being the protagonist so Skylar trying to hinder him, even though she’s entirely right to do so, reads to some viewers as “antagonist” behavior. (And there’s yeah a bit of misogyny/gender expectations mixed in there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This movie makes 20% more money with a different title than Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)