Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Obviously a hell of a money man, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Pirate Jet posted:

Always lol at executives deciding that a film making a mere $875 million instead of a billion meant they should torch all good will with their fan base thus far and then they wound up with three out of four of the next movies being flops.

sean10mm posted:

Disney basically did the same thing to Star Wars that WB did with BvS/JL, except they did it sooner so it wasn't quite the same magnitude of disaster because at least the panic attack impulse decisions were implemented BETWEEN movies instead of during shooting.

The key to the MCU's longevity is that while they may not understand art, they loving understand project management. I bet their Gantt charts are on point, and everybody has clear marching orders for how to make bank and not poo poo things up for the writer & director of the NEXT film in the pipeline trying to hit THEIR marks.

(This was hilariously untrue in the very beginning with Iron Man, though!)

There is no half-MCUing it. Either you build a proper assembly line for this poo poo, or you just let directors make real movies and accept that it's going to be "messy" and not all of it will build to a giga-blockbuster finale in a straight line. WB (and Disney with SW) tried to split the difference and poo poo themselves in the process.

And yet, I still find it as interesting as it is humorous to watch these massive corporations squander $200m toy adds left and right solely because the previous one didn’t make the +5% - 10% threshold they were hoping for. Greed is one hell of a drug.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like there's too much to catch up on with Star Citizen drama so I don't bother.

Essentially it's just a cult of personality now that's rushing towards some kind of "Jonestown but with less murder, probably" omnishambles climax. Everyone half sane has asked for a refund and the grift is just strip-mining the mega-suckers that remain with .jpgs of future content that never arrives.

Obviously a hell of a money man, though.

In the Charles Ponzi sense, absolutely.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I followed the Star Citizen thread for a while but it’s impossible to keep up with.

For a good analogy, imagine a movie doing all its CGI and full rendering first, and spending years on it before starting principal photography. Just a bunch of 3D models in a void.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Amazing Spiderman 2 is another example of this. How on earth could you consider a movie that made 750 million dollars a flop.

Like not that I mean to suggest you're wrong or anything but the garfield spidersmen made 750million and then 50 million less. The next two Ironmen spidermen made 2 billion between them on an upward trajectory.

Assuming those trends continued uncorrected, over two movies youre looking at 600million (maybe more?) left on the table. So like a whole spiderman movie.

I guess theyve got to share some with disney... but still.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I loved quite a few of the moments in this movie. I liked Suicide Squad okay, but, Jesus, what a difference a vagina makes. Harley Quinn frequently references psychology in a way that makes you believe that she really could have been a psychologist.

The bit with Montoya revealing that the she's a lesbian in a way that's almost completely irrelevant to the situation: The point isn't that she likes women. It's that she's in a room with her Captain, AKA the rear end in a top hat ex-partner who stole credit for her work along with her ex-girlfriend and she's there basically begging favors from them. If this was Ronnie Montaya, straight male detective having to do this, the situation would still be awful and uncomfortable, which was the main point of the scene.

The bit with the two guys, Harley and the van. Harley's clearly drunk well past the point of consent, barely even conscious. And Diana really doesn't want trouble, so she's walking away. And in the distance, out of focus, we see the two guys about to put Harley in the van. And Harley is a bad person, who has done bad things and has helped/encouraged the Joker to do other bad things. And you can almost hear Diana telling herself this as she's starting to leave, knowing that Harley is about to get raped while she's passed out drunk. And then she comes back and kicks the living hell out of those guys.

Just... God drat, how many women have desperately needed that kind of intervention or basic decency.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like not that I mean to suggest you're wrong or anything but the garfield spidersmen made 750million and then 50 million less. The next two Ironmen spidermen made 2 billion between them on an upward trajectory.

Assuming those trends continued uncorrected, over two movies youre looking at 600million (maybe more?) left on the table. So like a whole spiderman movie.

I guess theyve got to share some with disney... but still.

That's a logical analysis in hindsight, but the broad consensus at the time of the Garfield movies was that ASM2 was as much a commercial as a creative disappointment. To which of both I say, phooey

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Granted, I'm glad the 'failure' in this case allowed them to make Venom.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I really liked this movie, especially how the women interact with each other in the diner, telling each other how cool they are :3:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I followed the Star Citizen thread for a while but it’s impossible to keep up with.

For a good analogy, imagine a movie doing all its CGI and full rendering first, and spending years on it before starting principal photography. Just a bunch of 3D models in a void.

So, Titan A.E.?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's weird that Black Mask forcing that woman to dance on a table is given greater weight as an example of his villainy then when he casually ordered the murder of that family.

Part of it is an "uncanny valley" effect. Here in the real world are you actually going to hang a family upside down and cut their faces off? Probably not. But, if you're in a position of power - like being the owner of a popular nightclub - could you leverage that to force some girl to do that table-dance/psuedo-rape thing? Sure you could. Stuff like that can (and has) happened all the time in the real world.

Like the bit with the van. Previously and later in the movie Harley is being chased, shot at, threatened with torture and in much more physical danger. But, that's not really something that plays out in our everyday experience. A couple of guys trying to get a drunk-to-the-point-of-near-unconsciousness girl into the back of their van to rape her? Yeah, that kind of poo poo can easily happen here in reality.

So, the stuff in the movie that gets closer to real life experiences - especially women's real life experiences - has a much greater impact than the more over-the-top action/violence stuff.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Yeah, double-posting, but did anyone else notice that whenever the JANUS logo-ad would show up onscreen on posters and the like, the "J" would be darker such that the lighting made the logo appear to be "ANUS?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I'd watch this movie. The script's probably already written somewhere.

Though Sonic might have had enough trouble with clingy, mentally unstable girls wielding hammers.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I saw this today and I thought it was a lot of fun. Solid B. Margot Robbie is pretty much always good, but I also loved Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ewan McGregor. Speaking as someone who isn’t always crazy about comic movies I thought it was an above average comic book movie free of major flaws. I like it better than any Marvel movie I’ve seen since Black Panther. Unlike everyone else in the known universe, I have no opinion on why it’s underperforming.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

I saw this today and I thought it was a lot of fun. Solid B. Margot Robbie is pretty much always good, but I also loved Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ewan McGregor. Speaking as someone who isn’t always crazy about comic movies I thought it was an above average comic book movie free of major flaws. I like it better than any Marvel movie I’ve seen since Black Panther. Unlike everyone else in the known universe, I have no opinion on why it’s underperforming.

This is where I am. The only movie I've watched within recent memory that I've just flat-out enjoyed more than this one was Knives Out.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Boy I really hated Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, but liked her a lot more here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just got out of seeing this.This might be my favorite DC movie, lmao. Margot Robbie is so good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

movie's very good, it's very visually exciting which is one of the most important parts of a superhero movie since they don't tend to take a lot of interesting directions storywise, and all of the characters are very well written and acted (MEW is always finding lots of different shades of what could be very stereotypical "Bad rear end Women" roles that she gets, and her Huntress being totally asocial for her entire life is a fun character)

but i would like to take a second to praise the soundtrack, which absolutely slaps, every single track. Black Panther is the standard to which all recent movie soundtracks are being held and while it's not quite as cohesive as BP's (because the person in charge isn't one of the artists but one of the filmmakers) it's got a really great variety of sounds, really sounds like something that the characters in the film would listen to, and a lot of names that are probably going to be way bigger in a year or two (obviously Halsey and Megan Thee Stallion are the big gets but artists like Doja Cat and Saweetie and Summer Walker and two former Fifth Harmony members are all rising stars). It reminds me a lot of another superhero soundtrack that focused on finding artists bubbling under the surface and making an album that diagetically fits into the movie, Into The Spiderverse, and if you're being compared to Spiderverse in any aspect you have done something right.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Man, if this gets released on homevideo as Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey instead of Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn, I'm going to be upset.

I really enjoyed it, Harley raiding the police station was one of the most fun action sequences I've seen in awhile. Really the only thing I didn't like was the big climatic fight being set to Barracuda, mostly because I'm just sick of hearing that song, but also it carries over the worst bit of Suicide Squad in out of place but well known songs. The rest of the music was fine though, I really liked the use of the Halsey song in that sprinkler fight.

A great follow up to Suicide Squad, glad this one wasn't chopped and skewed.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Harley picking up a bat in the evidence room fight from a table with a chainsaw and a katana was an amazing reference. I laughed out loud in the theater then got embarrassed because no one else did.

QuoProQuid posted:

...—but the film is weighed down by excess baggage. It tries to juggle Harley Quinn's break-up and subsequent attempts to create an identity for herself, Black Mask's pursuit of the diamond, as well as the backstories and relationships of the four other Birds of Prey. The result is something manic and scattered like Quinn herself but not very enjoyable. There's no room to develop Quinn or her co-stars and so the movie falls back on surface-level zaniness like the beaver in the tutu...

This is ironic coming from a poster with a Mad Max avatar. Harley Quinn and Mad Max basically fill the same role in that the plot isn't about them. It's great.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grem posted:

Boy I really hated Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, but liked her a lot more here.

Based on the writing and direction, in Suicide Squad Margot Robbie and been directed to play a ditzy, slutty blonde who was cosplaying as Harley Quinn. In this movie we get the actual Harley Quinn in all her bonkers glory.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Harley picking up a bat in the evidence room fight from a table with a chainsaw and a katana was an amazing reference. I laughed out loud in the theater then got embarrassed because no one else did.

gently caress, I didn't even catch that joke :lol:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
What's the joke with the chainsaw?

Everyone posted:

Based on the writing and direction, in Suicide Squad Margot Robbie and been directed to play a ditzy, slutty blonde who was cosplaying as Harley Quinn. In this movie we get the actual Harley Quinn in all her bonkers glory.

No, get the gently caress out with that poo poo.
She the exact same character in both, like she spent most of Suicide Squad picking at and psychoanalyzing everyone, which was a a large part of the reason everyone hated her, both in that and this.
Like when she completely deflates Blackmask about to give his big speech how he's going to own everything. Good stuff.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 18, 2020

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

wyoming posted:

What's the joke with the chainsaw?

I think it's a Pulp Fiction reference.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Laughing Zealot posted:

I think it's a Pulp Fiction reference.

Yeah, it's this, and it's subtle enough that I didn't realize the joke even having seen it twice.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

if you're being compared to Spiderverse in any aspect you have done something right.
Daniel Pemberton also did the score for both.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/badpostmargots/status/1229805310916878339?s=20

:3:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I enjoyed the film a lot, to me the only questionable decisions were the mixed timeline in the beginning and the birds of prey costumes in the ending were... not good (dunno if it's even a spoiler).

The action scenes had great style. This was so much better than most hero movies, hope we get more Harley and friends in the future.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

ZZZorcerer posted:

the mixed timeline in the beginning

Oh yeah this was super dumb. Not every movie should be Pulp Fiction, guys.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ZZZorcerer posted:

I enjoyed the film a lot, to me the only questionable decisions were the mixed timeline in the beginning and the birds of prey costumes in the ending were... not good (dunno if it's even a spoiler).

The action scenes had great style. This was so much better than most hero movies, hope we get more Harley and friends in the future.

I was okay with the mixed timelines because it's very much Harley's story, so of course it's going to be scattered and chaotic.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Everyone posted:

I was okay with the mixed timelines because it's very much Harley's story, so of course it's going to be scattered and chaotic.

Agreed. It felt a little clumsy, but since it's Harley's stream of conscious I think it's supposed to. It fit the narration style well.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Nothing wrong with the idea, but the execution was lacking imo

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just saw. Fucken loved this movie. The script was a little wonky in certain points but everyone on set, the actors, the choreographers, the stunt people, really giving it their all and being passionate made up for it. Favorite bit was Harley snorting the cocaine cloud and going ham on the mercenaries in the police evidence lockup. Margot Robbie is so cool. :allears: Everyone was, really.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ZZZorcerer posted:

the birds of prey costumes in the ending were... not good (dunno if it's even a spoiler).

they were gloriously stupid as hell. Think about those specific characters -- a drunk washed up cop, a nightclub lounge singer, and a socially deprived assassin -- and think of what their idea of goody two shoes super hero outfits would be and those are it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I like the designs for the costumes, it's just the execution that falters. It's the one time in the whole movie that it really shows its budget and doesn't manage to punch way over its weight class.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I would really like to see more of Huntress. I enjoyed her most of all.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The costumes at the end were bad because Montoya didn't have a featureless flesh face.
I bet she wasn't even an objectivist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That was probably the movie's biggest missed opportunity. As an ex-cop working as a vigilante in Gotham, I was half expecting her to have the Question mask on at the end. Aw well.