Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The part of the song you quoted there sounds like as direct a reference to Alan Wake as there could possibly be. The last line of Alan Wake is "It's not a lake; it's an ocean," which is supposed to reveal some deep truth about the story that I never understood. Maybe this was it. It might be one of those things where it's meant to be understood by people with a different cultural background than mine. I'm thinking particularly of things like name puns in Japanese media, where knowing enough about the language to recognize the phrase that the name is meant to evoke adds depth to the humor, whereas people who don't know Japanese that well will miss a great deal of the humor inherent in them. Perhaps any Finnish person who played Alan Wake would have made that connection. Perhaps it turned out too subtle, and Remedy made Control to drive home the point for those people who could have understood it but didn't. I'll actually be talking a bit about that when I get to the DLC chapter based on Alan Wake. Hopefully, it won't be another essay like the one about the lead-up to the Ashtray Maze, but maybe it will. In any case, not knowing the story of Ahti the Hero, and going only by someone else's translation of the lyrics, I definitely don't feel qualified to address your theory myself. I'd like to, but I think it's way too likely that I'd misstep and say something I shouldn't. Not that that usually stops me, but when I'm going to speak authoritatively on any subject, I need to be sure that my understanding of it is sound. At least enough to be comfortable claiming that I'm correct. After I post the next video, I think there will be more to say on that subject, for both of us. At that time, if you'd like to expound on the discussion, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
This sounds like a plan, let's get to the finish, and I love both your input and your outlook. And once more, thank you for doing this LP; it's been one of my favorites.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

This is going to be a controversial opinion, but...I really don't like Take Control. It feels so jarring after a full game of more atmospheric background music. The visuals of the ashtray maze, though? Excellent.

I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I think it works out ok once the song has some time to get going, but the start of the song is very jarring. I think it would feel better in my mind if Jesse had some sort of reaction to it given that this is supposed to be something that she's listening to as well. She's not exactly above making quips about the various events in the game, and Take Control is certainly different enough to what's normally playing on Ahti's radio that you'd think she would have something to say about it.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

JTDistortion posted:

I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I think it works out ok once the song has some time to get going, but the start of the song is very jarring. I think it would feel better in my mind if Jesse had some sort of reaction to it given that this is supposed to be something that she's listening to as well. She's not exactly above making quips about the various events in the game, and Take Control is certainly different enough to what's normally playing on Ahti's radio that you'd think she would have something to say about it.

Not really a character reaction per se, but if you watch her closely you can see her put little yellow earbuds in at the start of the Maze (which starts the music) and then take them out once she gets to the black rock doors. It is subtle though - I didn't see her put the earbuds in at the start so the music was very much out of nowhere, but I noticed her taking them out so I rewound to the start to see her put them in.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Not really a character reaction per se, but if you watch her closely you can see her put little yellow earbuds in at the start of the Maze (which starts the music) and then take them out once she gets to the black rock doors. It is subtle though - I didn't see her put the earbuds in at the start so the music was very much out of nowhere, but I noticed her taking them out so I rewound to the start to see her put them in.

This is both a very cool little detail and something that makes it even weirder to me that they didn't give her a bit of dialogue to go along with the animation.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What a strange game. I like the design of the ashtray maze, it's pretty cool.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You kind of have to admit that the destruction of pretty much everything and the effective death of the main character is a pretty gripping climax for a story. Of course, this is fiction; we know it's not going to end that way. There's a lot I can't explain about what's happened up until this point, but I think it's possible to get a pretty good understanding of the overall plot. Of course, I've been at this for a long time, with big gaps between episodes, so many of you probably don't remember all of the details. So I put a montage of key moments that I think will give you something to think about at the start of the episode. Yes, that's what took a big portion of the time. It's also just a long episode in its own right, with a lot of subtleties that I don't think many people would explore normally. I certainly didn't, when I beat the game the first time. I do think I understand more than I did, having explored the endgame and edited a video about it, but I don't want to dump that information on you before you've had the chance to watch the video. But it's a bit late to edit the information in, so I figure I'll talk about it either in a future video or, if I ever get around to making more of them, a podcast episode. I really do want to do more of those, but on top of the difficulties with getting my thoughts in order, I've been sick a lot recently. I keep taking COVID tests and getting negative results, but I still rarely feel like getting out of bed for very long. Oh well. This is all just padding for the main event anyway. Have a look, and I think you'll agree that this is the only ending there could be.

Part 33: The Thunder Song Distorts You Polsy Youtube Documents

I expect that portions of this video confused you. That's normal. In light of that, I've prepared an aid that should help you understand what you've just watched. This video should clarify some of the more confusing moments. I was also shown this very clever music video not long ago, and this is the perfect time in your Control experience to watch it. Meanwhile, I'll be back with more episodes when I can, and if anyone has an opinion on whether I should proceed to the culmination of the story in the Foundation or detour to the previously closed Investigations Sector to explore the connection to Alan Wake further, let me know. I'll do both eventually, but each one offers a very different experience, and I don't think there's an intended order to them as such. Indeed, Investigations has been available since we completed the Ordinary Dump Site mission.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Well I sure didn't expect Dynamite. What a weird and wonderful game. Thanks for taking the time and effort to show it off!

As for DLC order: personally I'd say do the Alan Wake stuff first. I think it would feel anticlimactic to do it after the story DLC.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Something I found interesting is that most of the characters used both the voice and likeness of their voice actors and the ones that didn't still appear to have used a real person's likeness.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

dope ending imo

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
And now we finally understand the thread title!

That was a great ending. Thanks for the ride so far, Nidoking, and I look forward to where we go from here.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
One day I may even finish playing it myself, I've had the ultimate edition on steam long enough. :effort:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Just learned that Dynamite is a real song, by some British band called MUD: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fQTvsM9_Vck

Sounds like the name of the gal in the original is Dinah.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Indeed, I linked a version of that song in the paragraph at the end of my post. That's the first link. I think it was among the results when I did a lyrics search, to make sure i had the subtitles right.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Thanks for the LP! That was a pretty great ending. Maybe I missed something, but did we ever find out what happened to Dr. Darling? I was expecting him to be part of the final boss gauntlet.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I preferred Trench’s cover of Dolly Parton’s “9 to 5” near the end of the video myself.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Maybe I missed something, but did we ever find out what happened to Dr. Darling? I was expecting him to be part of the final boss gauntlet.

This is one of those things that's not really explained, but it seems clear to me that Dr. Darling is dead dead, not Hiss-dead, by this point. He exposed himself fully to the resonance coming from Polaris, and at least in his own mind, he was transcending his humanity to become something more, something that could no longer exist in the human world. Perhaps he became the "Mr. Door" that Dylan met in his dream, and like Polaris, he was appealing to Dylan to stop the Hiss invasion and found him ultimately unreceptive. In any case, Jesse connected with whatever Dr. Darling became when she was trapped in her own mind, but had regained enough self to rise above it, and he opened a door that let her reach the part of herself that generated the anti-Hiss resonance and reactivate it. The music video was probably just his way of celebrating, or cheering her on, or something along those lines. The kind of goofy thing he loved to do, unfiltered by the typical processes of human cognition.

The final gauntlet, as I think I realized while editing the video, is the same visit to the Astral Plane that we've seen every time Jesse binds an Object of Power. It's just that because the Slide Projector creates the door that the Hiss are coming through, and the anti-Hiss resonance had stopped for a short time, the Hiss has managed to corrupt the Astral Plane, and that's what Jesse has to fight through.

In any case, I'm hoping to start recording something about groupthink this weekend. I feel like I finally have my thoughts somewhat in order, and a reasonable conclusion to aim for.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
That was excellent, and what a cover by the good doctor.

Tereon
May 30, 2011
I only just caught up yesterday and wanted to thank you for the fantastic ride. That last episode was very well done, giving context where needed - especially for people who didn't watch it in about 2 weeks in one go, those reminders of past dialogues were great.

And, I mean, Dynamite. Didn't expect that, and I laughed a lot. Too bad Darling's gone, I would have loved to see his take on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To my mind Darling definitely transcended to a higher plane, hence the contact he makes to Jessie inside her own mind. But where he’s gone there’s no coming back from.

Personally I’d say do the Alan Wake DLC first.