Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SniHjen posted:

I wonder how The Bureau get into the subway, and then to the Oldest House .
are they invited? do the Oldest House create the path?

For further research into this topic, refer to Darling Presentation 24.2, presented here.

SniHjen posted:

Why would you ask about the date , when Dylan hasn't been given a Calendar .
The Anger Makes perfect sense, and I'm on Dylan's side here.

This is part of the Gunnars Psychological Assessment, as stated in the recording. While I'm not a psychologist myself, I think it's a safe assumption that a rigorous psychological assessment would have to be delivered in the same way every time to generate meaningful results. The point of the test isn't to establish the correctness or incorrectness of the answers, but to gauge the subject's responses against some kind of subjective baseline. I imagine that "violent or aggressive reaction to questions about the date" is probably on a list somewhere that guides the scientist to a diagnosis. Sort of the way IQ tests compare the answers given to the answers someone with high intelligence would give.

This kind of thing comes up in other walks of life as well. Occasionally, I'm actually in the mood to respond to a phone survey, but most of the time, they go from questions about political candidates I don't know anything about to my opinion of college sports, and when I say I don't have an opinion of something, they usually press me "Well, if you HAD to guess, what do you think your opinion would be?" That's when I hang up. It's a flawed survey and I want no part of it. Anyone who's called for technical support, ever, has run into the same thing. Tier 1 always has a checklist they have to fill out, and there's no way to convince them that yes, you've rebooted it many times already. When I know what the problem is, I might just grab a book, ignore their instructions, and say "I did that, and it's still broken" until I get to someone who can send a technician to replace the wires at the junction box again. And believe me, I've been on the other side of that. I've had to call customers around the world, at all hours, to tell them that they need to put their data into the directory listed in the user manual in order for it to be used. The Tier 1 help desk knows this. They have a whatever they all their equivalent of an FAQ on the subject. We've listed every possible configuration of results we can imagine that would demonstrate that the user put their data in the wrong folder. And yet they still send us trouble tickets regularly stating that they can't figure out what's wrong with the user's program and they need us to intervene. It's easy to get angry when people ask you the same question over and over, whether you know the answer or not. But they may not have a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
You don't really need to diagnose "subject is upset that you repeatedly require of them something that you are actively preventing them from doing". If there'd been one question about the date, sure a blowup would tell you quite a bit. But three questions about the same thing you're literally not allowing them to know, being given "i don't know" "I already told you I don't bloody know" and "oh gently caress OFF" as responses, only indicates that they are not currently unconscious. They were digging for an extreme emotional response, and that's just not cool.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'll be honest with you - it's been a bad day. My internet connection flaked out just long enough to ruin the project I wanted to complete, and because I woke up early for it, I was tired all day. That's really as bad as it got, but something like that can really throw off your whole day, you know? It's garbage, that's what it is. It's a big old pile of garbage. Hey, speaking of Control... take a guess where we're looking for the answers to the questions the Ordinary AWE raised.

Part 30: This place is a dump Polsy Youtube Documents

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That sounds like a really lovely day to have to deal with. I'm sorry to hear about that.

On the other hand, we got a sweet new outfit!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, now there's an outfit that says "This person knows what the heck is going on around here. She's got it handled."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
That junkyard fight was a brick wall for me. I died so many times there.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Phy posted:

Ah, now there's an outfit that says "This person knows what the heck is going on around here. She's got it handled."

Yeah. I assume the outfits are just cosmetic, but if they gave stat boosts then this should be the endgame-tier one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Control: Ultimate Edition is available on GOG for free this month with Amazon Prime Gaming! I'm enjoying the LP so much that I don't really need to play the game myself, but at this price, I couldn't resist.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Control: Ultimate Edition is available on GOG for free this month with Amazon Prime Gaming! I'm enjoying the LP so much that I don't really need to play the game myself, but at this price, I couldn't resist.

It's one of the best games I've played in years. Cannot recommend enough.
I only did as many of the side objectives as I needed to meet my own personal needs and it was still expansive and epic.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

tadashi posted:

It's one of the best games I've played in years. Cannot recommend enough.
I only did as many of the side objectives as I needed to meet my own personal needs and it was still expansive and epic.

I pirated it and then bought it for myself and a friend on steam.

I don't feel ripped off that it's going free on a->z

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
If anyone reading this has Amazon Prime you can get Control for free on GoG for the rest of this month using Amazon Gaming.

Edit: Oh... some else said that already... I guess that's what I get for leaving the tab permanently open and only refreshing it when I see there's been an update :V

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How does gog know if you have amazon prime?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ilmucche posted:

How does gog know if you have amazon prime?
You redeem a code provided on the Prime Gaming page.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Rewatching the episode I am amused that Jesse is a fan of the Old Gods of Asgard. She has good taste.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Old Gods and Thomas Zane. Perhaps she's drawn to people who have a connection to Bright Falls. Or non-people, in Zane's case.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

I like me some dumb nerdy t-shirts and these are tempting...

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I really try not to order more T-shirts than I absolutely have to, and yet, I got both of them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I have to apologize for the lack of updates lately. I think the problem is that I've become so disconnected from my emotions that when I have an emotion, I really don't know what to do about it, so it just lurks. It affects me no matter how much I try to ignore it, but because I'm ignoring it, I have no ability to deal with it. What I'm trying to say is that you need to be in touch with your mental state, however inconvenient it may seem, or it will lead you in circles and you'll never get anywhere. Understanding that is an important first step to dealing with it, but actually putting it into practice is a long and difficult process. What I'm trying to say is that I've been working on something big for the upcoming end of the story, and it's been slowly coming together. Today, we're going to deal with a problem we've been ignoring for way too long, and then we're going to follow a long, complicated set of steps that will leave us feeling like we've been led around in circles. But we're getting somewhere. We're almost done. And if I can get my act together over Christmas break, we may actually get there.

Part 31: Ahti's Holiday Retreat Polsy Youtube Documents

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hang in there buddy. Awareness of the/a problem is, in my experience, the single most important thing, even if doesn't do much to make you feel better.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Take your time! I bought the game because of this thread. I am really glad I got to play the next part before seeing it. A top 5 of my best moments from any game.

This last part did seem like a missed opportunity. I really thought Ahti had been taken and you would have a boss battle with Former in the foundations or something.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Take care of yourself buddy!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

I feel you about that last part and honestly given the build-up I can't help but wonder if that had something more ambitious for that part that they were forced to cut for either time/budget or because they realized it was beyond what the could reasonably do with the system.

That said your little tease at the end of the talks section was just evil.

Take care of yourself Nidoking and have a happy holidays.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is a bit random but I suddenly find myself wondering what the thread title is a reference to.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's part of what the Hiss are continuously murmuring: "a tune you can't stop humming in a dream".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, of course.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And here I thought the thread title was just a reference to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFaoLrLzd4

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
After watching your most recent video, I finally broke down, bought the game, and played through myself so I could experience the Ashtray Maze blind before it was presented to me in video format.

It lived up to the hype.

And I get the sense that the devs must have had a similar feeling -- since they decided to slot a particularly long (optional) DLC quest chain after the grand tour order to open things back up and give me a bunch of new stuff to explore. I'll be curious to see if you decide to tackle that one at a similar point, or if you save it for post.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glad to hear you decided to buy the game. It's definitely worth having.

As far as I remember, the AWE DLC mission becomes available as soon as you finish exploring the Ordinary AWE area and get the message from Dr. Darling about the Slide Projector being in Dimensional Research - it will activate whenever you next go to the Sector Elevator. The other DLC, which was the first expansion, should only unlock after the end of the main story. I plan to leave both until after I've done everything I can in the original scope of the game, although I'm still deciding which order to do them in. The first expansion builds on the main story, while the second is more of an advertisement. I can't really worry about that until I get more episodes out, though, and I want to do some kind of Alan Wake plot summary video before delving too much into material that assumes familiarity with that game. I'm off work all this week, so I'm hoping to find the time to do something productive.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I picked up the game + DLC for free via Amazon Prime Games, and now I'm wondering if I should do as EricFate did and play it up through the Ashtray Maze to experience it firsthand. It's a weird thing: the Maze was really super hyped for me well before this LP began, yet the immediate in-game runup to being able to actually navigate the Maze is disappointing (as Nidoking points out)--but for all that, the Maze itself apparently really is still an amazing sight to behold. The contrast between the meh fetch quest that practically jumpcuts to an astounding setpiece makes me think the devs balanced it like this on purpose. We'll see! (And I'll try to find time to blaze through the game on my own before we get there.)

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
The only downside to having exhausted all of the post game content this game provides is that the sight of a maneki-neko cat now just fills me with irrational anger...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At last, it's time. The Ashtray Maze... and beyond. Way beyond. Beyonder than beyond, and more.

Part 32: Dimensional Research Polsy Youtube Documents Additional Music

I've got a few additional things to say about this video, but wait until after you've watched it:

First, the song "Take Control" is particularly interesting in context, and is worth listening to in its entirety - the presentation in this scene fits the game well, but doesn't really capture how well the song fits into the Control universe. It's a distinct crossover with Alan Wake, presumably written by the band Old Gods of Asgard long before any of the events in Control took place. We will be revisiting this song much, much later, so if you think I'm leaving something out, don't worry too much just yet. I've been working steadily on getting this video, and the next one, just right, as a fitting finale for the main game, and I have something that I believe you'll really enjoy, so I think it will be worth the wait once I get there. It's going to be a long video, though, and those who know how the game ends will hopefully understand why there's no suitable place to split it up. No, the ending in this video is not the end of the game. Not by a long shot, although I suppose it's pretty close. There's still a lot to do to wrap everything up. I suppose the ultimate outcome of all of this is that I need to find the time to get everything done, despite a strange mood overtaking me these past few years. Eventually, it will all be finished, podcasts and all, and hopefully, it won't have suffered from the extended timeline. I want people to remember the bright moments of this whole thing and not get too bogged down remembering the stains.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Great thread, I am rating it 5 stars and never checking on it again since it is now over.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
That’s beautifully done and well unexpected in execution. Nice work!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For all the hype I've heard about the ashtray maze, that was both not at all what I was expecting and way cooler than whatever I thought it was going to be.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:staredog:

:f5:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Noooo kidding. But please take your time! LPs always take the back burner to real life and your own mental and physical well-being.

As I was watching you go through the Ashtray Maze, I suspected that was what was happening with the music. I think a mix-and-match tune that allows for instrumental vamping where necessary is the perfect thematic complement to a House that can physically rearrange itself at will and as needed. Very cool stuff.

I also think the guy who plays Dr. Darling is a really good actor, better than I've seen in most video games.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Hirayuki posted:

I also think the guy who plays Dr. Darling is a really good actor, better than I've seen in most video games.

Especially when you realize that he came from the wacky mad scientist part via being Alan Wake himself, and previously from Will Scarlett ("My full name is Will Scarlett O'Hara. We're from Georgia") in Men in Tights. Holy crap does Matthew Porretta have some range.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
This is going to be a controversial opinion, but...I really don't like Take Control. It feels so jarring after a full game of more atmospheric background music. The visuals of the ashtray maze, though? Excellent.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Epicmissingno posted:

This is going to be a controversial opinion, but...I really don't like Take Control. It feels so jarring after a full game of more atmospheric background music. The visuals of the ashtray maze, though? Excellent.

An interesting opinion, definitely, and subjectively, I can't really argue with you. I wasn't a big fan of heavy metal growing up, although I expect I probably didn't hear the best examples of it when forming that opinion. Take Control can be a real earworm even so, and I don't think it gets into the "heavy" style of metal. There are plenty of nice, slow parts, and then the music picks up just the right pace to go with the lyrics. The full song is worth listening to if you haven't already, and it's interesting to try to interpret the lyrics outside the context of Control. I have a few ideas that I hope to get into sometime in the future, but a town called Ordinary where a speck of light becomes a gateway to Doomsday is a pretty clear image. If you get in tune with the connection between the Old Gods of Asgard from Alan Wake and the backstory of Control, the overlap gains a few more layers. Remember, Ahti said that his "friends" gave him the song as a gift, and you get a copy of it within the game to listen to. The ballad that Ahti sings over the radio, Sankarin Tango, has effects on some of the paranatural entities around the Bureau, particularly the Mold, as we've seen. The music of the Old Gods probably does something similar, or at least, you can't discredit the idea out of hand. It not only makes neat backdrops for scenes that are intended to stand out from the games that surround them, but it conveys messages - Alan himself makes a long trip to Valhalla just to hear the Old Gods' power ballad, which just tells him whom he needs to talk to. He'd probably have worked it out himself if he could stop and think about who in Bright Falls actually had any idea about how to handle dangerous darkness. Then again, if I ever DO get around to a summary video of Alan Wake, I plan to point out how many characters are introduced rapid-fire in the first chapter and how few of them I remembered by the time they became important. It wasn't until replaying the Remastered version on the PS5 that I realized the Rusty from the restaurant was the caretaker and not a cop/deputy. I was distracted by, of all things, one of the Old Gods humming "Coconuts" in the background. I told you those guys had some powerful music. But to address your specific point, about the music not fitting with the rest of the game, that's actually the intention there. This song, in contrast to the background music, is diegetic. In other words, it exists in the world of the game, just as an effect added to our perception of that world to evoke an artificial mood. Most of the other diegetic music fits a similar feel - you get a lot of Socks and Ballerinas, a little Poets of the Fall, maybe something that sounded a bit like a crossover genre of country? It's either music that fits the odd tastes of the Bureau agents who tune in to it, or more likely, it's the music they're studying at the Bureau. Who knows how much technology for receiving music they're allowed to bring in? It might be restricted to cassettes, possibly CDs, and they may not be allowed to carry any personal music in or out. Or, in a rather Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett twist, it might metamorphose into weird music if left in the office for too long. A radio with actual FM reception might be the unattainable dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Nido, I forget if you've gone into the Sankarin Tango itself in depth, but it is tremendously layered and just a wonderful fourth wall break through and through.

Putting as much as I can in spoilers, and having avoided a lot of yours as I hadn't played the game when the LP started:

The opening line is a direct reference to Ahti(as an heroic figure, Saarelainen ,"The Islander") or Ahto, the Finnish God/King of the Seas;

"Once, I mistook an ocean for a lake" he recited the poem
In the depths of that mystery he spent his whole life
Under a dark ocean, in the shadows he wanders

And then breaks on from there into more directly referential messages regarding games and Alan Wake in particular. Lovely stuff. And perhaps it is the game, but I feel like I'm doing the corkboard and red string thing, where I'm trying to find connections between it and the Säkkijärven polkka, which has a storied history in Finland, particularly during WWII. Different style of music, sure, but the idea of a tune having tangible power, and also having Finnish roots, well.

I will not rule out that I'm just some dense guy that likes mythology, however. Hmm...