Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Felinoid posted:

My working theory is it's basically the Astral Plane. Somewhere where thought equals reality. With all the talk of the collective unconscious having real world effects, what seems to be the most reasonable explanation to me is simply that new technology does not have a unified ideation among the collective unconscious yet, and so when the conflicting ideas attempt to imprint themselves onto a new object brought into the Oldest House, the conflict creates structural/ideological warping on what is already a delicate piece of technology, leading to...problems. The prohibition against bringing exemplar objects into the Oldest House I think supports this, as such objects too would be focal points for that kind of imprinting and likely get turned into Altered Items.

I like this idea too, although the timeline for what's considered "new" technology might get a little muddled if that's the case. Then again, the same thing could be said about my theory.

Something that strikes me about this, and this is something that I've been thinking about for a long time, is that for me, the world of fiction in general is sort of fixed in the 80s or early 90s, regardless of the actual period when the story is set. This is probably because that's when I was developing my understanding of what the world is and what fiction is, and most fiction at the time was old enough that it came before most of the technology that was developing. Science fiction was sort of a weird sideways leap from reality, with things that were meant to be radical and futuristic but necessarily fell well short of the analogues that already existed for me, while any other genre tended to be contemporary to its time and thus only had the technology that existed then. To this day, it's weird for me to see things like cell phones and any video game console more modern than a Super NES in TV shows, because those things exist in the real world and not the fictional world as I understand it. The technology level in the Oldest House is pretty much exactly what I'd write, if I were writing a story where weird stuff is normal. (Actually, I am, and this is precisely the case.) That probably has nothing to do with why the Oldest House rejects modern technology, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that it's exactly the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I look forward to any and all curveballs. It's been a while since a game has thrown me for a loop.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

This letter kinda reminds me of this guy, who designed this:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

biosterous posted:

This letter kinda reminds me of this guy, who designed this:

quote:

He claimed that he was in contact with "The Association of Electrizers", a group of spirits including Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, and Benjamin Rush, as well as Spear’s namesake John Murray.

Maybe ALL of the dead letters are about this guy.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I don't see where the singing fish fits in his life, though.

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
I love the videos but the thread title drives me crazy because it reminds me of Mass Destruction from Persona 3. Every time.

Thanks for all the work with the unredacted documents.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bookmarking the poo poo out of this, the guy I usually watch for good playthroughs of games like this has developed a perception of absolute loving zero and I actually unsubscribed because of it.

At the end of this episode, where Nidoking cleansed the control point, and the rock shifted back revealing a now-accessible double door? That door that says "Communications Dept" above it when we're searching for the head of that department?

:downs: "I wonder where I'm supposed to go next, I don't see anything on the map"

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
This is enthralling.

This is right in the wheelhouse of Mage: the Awakening. And Mage: the Ascension. And the dead letters are dead-on for Demon: the Descent.

But mainly, the first -- this is exactly what an Intrusion would look like. One that is *this* close to swallowing the whole block and dragging it into the Abyss.

Also, redacting appears to be contagious.

I love this, and now must wait for a PC version - I believe someone implied it was eventually coming to PC? I very much hope so.

Thank you for LPing it! I would never have found it otherwise.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

thecluckmeme posted:

Bookmarking the poo poo out of this, the guy I usually watch for good playthroughs of games like this has developed a perception of absolute loving zero and I actually unsubscribed because of it.

At the end of this episode, where Nidoking cleansed the control point, and the rock shifted back revealing a now-accessible double door? That door that says "Communications Dept" above it when we're searching for the head of that department?

:downs: "I wonder where I'm supposed to go next, I don't see anything on the map"

Clearly the Board or the forces attempting to overtake the Bureau were affecting his mind and preventing him from pushing forward. Truly the power they have over nearly blind LPers is something to be feared and must be investigated ASAP. Seriously though, that is some Nat 1 Perception level fail.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kacie posted:

I love this, and now must wait for a PC version - I believe someone implied it was eventually coming to PC? I very much hope so.

It's already on PC-but right now it's only on the Epic store, so... probably just wanna wait for the Steam release.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

VolticSurge posted:

It's already on PC-but right now it's only on the Epic store, so... probably just wanna wait for the Steam release.

No, don’t.

Also it looks real good on the PC. No LoD on portraits

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

One of my favorite parts of this game is the number of options available for combat and puzzle solving. We'll be able to mix up all of our abilities, and each new Object of Power adds more combinations to our arsenal. We move right from this amazing upgrade to our first real boss fight, which seems a bit tough for such an early part of the game. My other favorite part of the game is, as always, the atmosphere. Those who miss Night Springs in particular may find something to enjoy in this video.

Part 3: The Floppy Disk Polsy Youtube Documents

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Oh, Launch. One of my favorite powers-yeeting poo poo at Hiss never gets old.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Tommasi can be hit if you throw something at him and then immediately throw something else.

I inadvertently cheesed this fight by standing where his debris wouldn't hit me while I still had LoS on him. Actual spoiler: The second fight against him is much harder as there's way less cover and you have flying/teleporting adds in the mix.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started watching and was reminded of things. One was the dream sequences from John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. Not sure why. Another was Candle Cove from Channel Zero, for obvious reasons.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

< This Thread/Conversation has convinced me to purchase this Violence/Geometry Simulation.>

< The Board's communication style is Compelling/Distinct/Emulatable.>

< Thank you for your Efforts/Attention Seeking.>

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I love this game so much. I bought it on a whim and it rekindled a love and new appreciation (and backlog playthrough) for Remedy, who I'd mostly lost track of since MP2. Not just a GotY but on my all time shortlist.

Also reading the thread captures that feel of running around finding all the redacted documents :3:

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished this game and I absolutely loved it. I’m looking forward to watching someone better than me show off the gameplay!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

jaclynhyde posted:

I’m looking forward to watching someone better than me show off the gameplay!

... you're also going to watch this LP, though, right?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thank you for this LP--I had asked for it in the request thread, and now I'm enjoying every episode. I think I'll loop my husband in, both because he'll like it and because I get to watch these early episodes a second time! :buddy:

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Nidoking posted:

... you're also going to watch this LP, though, right?

I think I got one headshot in the entire game, you're already doing better. (Also loving the videos and unredactions so far!)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This game rules and the one problem it has is something that most games suffer for in that you can't listen to audio logs and continue to move at the same time.

That said, oh god, this thread would be a nightmare to read on mobile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

jaclynhyde posted:

I think I got one headshot in the entire game, you're already doing better. (Also loving the videos and unredactions so far!)

Yeah getting headshots with the first < WEAPON/CONTROLLER > is difficult. It gets < EASIER/UNCOMPLICATED > with later weapon forms

God the Board dialogue is so good. You never know when it's threatening or simply having trouble communicating a concept.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah getting headshots with the first < WEAPON/CONTROLLER > is difficult. It gets < EASIER/UNCOMPLICATED > with later weapon forms

God the Board dialogue is so good. You never know when it's threatening or simply having trouble communicating a concept.

<The Board/Advisors communicate Simultaneity/Nuance. The communication/gibbering is also enthusiastically/comically/disquietingly violent. Splat.>

I love it.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 24, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

RareAcumen posted:

That said, oh god, this thread would be a nightmare to read on mobile.

It's not too bad, actually :shobon:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SubponticatePoster posted:

Actual spoiler: The second fight against him is much harder as there's way less cover and you have flying/teleporting adds in the mix.

God yeah it's absolutely brutal, I don't even know how many tries it took me

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
He isn't even the worst part of that fight in my mind. It's THOSE assholes, you know the ones, that make it so hard.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rubix Squid posted:

He isn't even the worst part of that fight in my mind. It's THOSE assholes, you know the ones, that make it so hard.

I absolutely just cheesed it in the end by levitating onto the catwalks above and waiting for the invisible hiss to trudge up the stairs and dumping Spin rounds into them

It's a really harsh fight, the only one that gave me similar trouble was yrev egnatrs deedni

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 25, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Okay, I think we're diving a bit far into the future with this line of discussion. We don't even have the Magic 8-Ball OOP yet, so please cool it with talking about future parts of the game, even if you think you're so clever and nobody will ever figure out what you're cleverly talking about. If it's immediately relevant to the discussion, spoiler tags are still mandatory and please, please, PLEASE tell people they're actual spoilers. The one in this post isn't.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like the first Radio song at Central Executive right at the start of the game. It's got a good sound to it, I just don't know what it's called.

Also, Something I'd like to see in a Control-type setting would be, as key characters are dying or going crazy, the organisation isn't able to do it's thing so by the end of the story rumours that run counter to the organisations cover-ups start spreading, because the communication director who'd normally come up with cover stories isn't available, or a town gets wiped out by an unusual event because the Agencies field agents are trying to save the agency itself. Have the veil break down over the course of the game, and the characters that survive leave to see a world starting to see things that they hardly understand, let alone the laymen

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 27, 2020

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

Thank you so much. I didn't wait, and I'm so glad.

This is an amazing and fantastic game -- thank you, Nidoking for LPing, because otherwise I wouldn't have known about this game.

Take another look in the Board Room, at the portraits. Look at the top left portrait. That is why I believe these are portraits of the directors, and given that the main (only?) qualification is using the Service Weapon which implies going into extremely dangerous situations, I can easily believe the FBC has gone through that many directors since it was formed.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Everything in this game has hidden depths, and we only get glimpses of it as a newcomer in a bureau that's almost out of sane employees who could tell us about any of it. The Hotline cuts through a lot of that. Director Trench's thoughts have been coming to us in bits and pieces, covering the most important details that we've needed along the way, but now we can hear the full messages. However, the Hotline is under some of the highest security the Bureau has to offer.

Part 4: The Hotline Polsy Youtube Documents

Yes, I spotted the document I missed after the fact. I'll pick that up at the start of the next episode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I love the motel so much. Especially the rule of three and the other spots it applies if you're paying attention.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
There are some things to read into here that a straight up table doesn't make easy.
The most of the rest of this is going to be spoiler blocked, mainly because I don't know what observations may be relevant or useless.
3 people have been logged going to the hotline. Former Director Trench, custodian Bill Everett, and custodian Carol Bishop. I don't remember if either Everett or Bishop has come up before.

The log covers August to October 2019.
I assume 2 things, though there has been little to no information on this so far that I remember,
that 1) The calendar in game is the same as our world,
and 2) the current date in game is probably on or after Oct 27, 2019.
Probably after, since I don't think all of this has happened in the little time after Bishop came and went for it to still be the 27th.

The custodians came in every other Sunday around 11pm until the end. Other than the name change, there is no odd behavior to be seen here. I assume that the custodian just dusted and cleaned the glass.

Trench came here every Monday at 2:45pm regularly (with one blip on Aug 26th) until Sep 23rd, then he came in at 9:13am Sunday the 28th ( Everett also came by at the regular cleaning time) then at 3:34 am the next Tuesday(Oct 1), then never again.

After this Everett cleaned up one more time then the switch to Bishop happened.

Here is a calendar with the dates marked:
code:
Each * is an event in the log.
		August 2019	
Su	Mo	Tu	We	Th	Fr	Sa
18	19*	20	21	22	23	24
25	26*	27	28	29	30	31*
		September 2019
Su	Mo	Tu	We	Th	Fr	Sa
1	2*	3	4	5	6	7
8	9*	10	11	12	13	14*
15	16*	17	18	19	20	21
22	23*	24	25	26	27	28**
29	30	 	 	 	 	 
		October 2019
Su	Mo	Tu	We	Th	Fr	Sa
 	 	1*	2	3	4	5
6	7	8	9	10	11	12*
13	14	15	16	17	18	19
20	21	22	23	24	25	26*
27	28	29	30	31	
Have either of those 2 people come up before? I've looked back at the documents, but they are not there.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Oceanview is the elemental plane of lovely motels. The platonic ideal of the lovely motel.

Also I'm getting a serious Max Payne wavelength from Trench's hotline monologues.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way are the chest's contents static, are the ones that give materials static while those that give chips/upgrades are random, or are they all randomised but if all are opened you'll have all the materials anyway by the end?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

azsedcf posted:

There are some things to read into here that a straight up table doesn't make easy.

Thanks for this, sincerely. I hadn't paid much attention to the dates before, but you've given me food for thought. I've got speculation about what relevance any of this might have, but I'll share that when the additional information that feeds into that is available. It's also very likely that I'm wrong.

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way are the chest's contents static, are the ones that give materials static while those that give chips/upgrades are random, or are they all randomised but if all are opened you'll have all the materials anyway by the end?

I don't think any of the materials you get from either chests or enemy drops are limited in quantity. I haven't played enough times or paid enough attention to other people's videos to catch any variations, but I suspect that the materials are static, and the mods are probably either randomized from a small pool or fixed type but random strength. As far as I can tell, most Material types only drop in a specific sector, regardless of what types of enemies you're fighting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With the Security Log speculation, my idea is that Everett tried to use the Hotline out of curiosity and died, and they had to replace him with Bishop.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

azsedcf posted:

The log covers August to October 2019.
I assume 2 things, though there has been little to no information on this so far that I remember,
that 1) The calendar in game is the same as our world,
and 2) the current date in game is probably on or after Oct 27, 2019.
[/spoiler]

It's implied through some a vague hint that the game takes place on a thursday. Making today October 31. Of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

IMJack posted:

Also I'm getting a serious Max Payne wavelength from Trench's hotline monologues.

They are both voiced by James McCaffrey.