Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
By the time I got to endgame, the (future power and mod spoilers) Leviation Ammo Efficiency would drop at a ratio of 3:1 to any other mod from enemies and chests. It might be attempting to give what you use a lot, but I sure wasn't shooting as much as I was flinging while levitating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Could you please boost the game volume? The commentary comes through loud and clear, but the game itself is quiet. The dialogue in particular is hard to make out without really concentrating (subtitles notwithstanding). And the Board? Fuggedaboutit! :downs:

Still loving this and eagerly anticipating each new video. Thanks again.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

And the Board? Fuggedaboutit! :downs:

<Is the Hotline/Seashell unclear? We thought it was perfectly Accessible/Eyes Only.>

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yeah to be more clear, the Board is speaking gibberish. They're not understandable except in subtitles. I do agree the sound balance is a bit off though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah to be more clear, the Board is speaking gibberish. They're not understandable except in subtitles.
:thejoke: :)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Yeah, I'll try bumping the volume up for the next few videos. I'll also look into whether the audio options in the game will let me raise the dialogue volume compared to sound and music - part of the problem is that some of the speech is just really quiet to begin with.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

azsedcf posted:

[security log stuff]

Also, a detail earlier in the video I'm not sure I would have even noticed if I hadn't decided to catch up on thread before I got a chance to watch the video: (non-joke spoiler but no idea how much actual importance it may or may not have) Tomassi's ID seems to have expired: it has an expiration date of October 21, 2019.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I appreciate that the game has an knockoff version of Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM for the discerning enthusiast of all things supernatural or extraterrestrial. I had a friend who loved to listen to it to fall asleep late at night; I think the only thing missing from this one short clip was the barely-restrained amusement of the host at the crackpots who call in.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The motel is totally Purgatory :colbert:

Also nthing the Boards style being neat. An eldritch entity with a sucky translator is ace.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't read Board-speak as a Poor/Inaccurate translation, but as a language with enough nuance to carry more than one intended meaning. Given that The Director is a role in the same context as The Board, I think of the Board in the sense of the Board of a company - a small collection of shareholders who either own a controlling interest in the organization or are elected to have that power. Each member of the Board is an independent person with their own goals, desires, morals, etc., but with respect to the company, the Board delivers a single decision on any issue and acts in unison. Likewise, I see the Board in Control as a Gestalt/Collective that ultimately acts as a single entity, but as the end product of several overlapping thought processes. But that's just my theory.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I do find it interesting that the Hiss and The Board both clearly talk but Jesse's mechanical looking thing doesn't seem to (or we can't hear it)

Love the random shots of red swirly patterns as people talk about the hiss - given its memeticness one wonders if talking about it is enough to "strengthen" it.

Given that the mechanical entity led Jesse to the FBC, one figures it knew the risk to it being discovered. I would guess its either after an OOP or is imprisoned somewhere in the FBC and needs Jesse to let it loose.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

To drop my gimmick for a minute, my interpretation of how The Board communicates is along the same lines as Nidoking's. Let's look at the "Hotline/Seashell," which lets The Director "contact Us/Past Selves." The hotline is a thing that lets us hear the echoes (like the reverberations in a seashell next to your ear) of Trench, who is a previous director. It is also, like Trench tells us, a direct line of communication to The Board. So, not only are we getting two phrases in one line, we're also getting some extra mysteries to play with. We already know that resonance is a big theme in Control. If the hotline is also a seashell, maybe it isn't so much giving us some sort of physical connection to something otherwise inaccessible as much as it's amplifying something that's already there. Beyond that, the combination of Us/Past Selves has me wondering what ties the Directors together, and what ties the Director and the board? Are the board past selves too? Maybe! All those portraits in The Board Room sure are fuel for speculation!

Other times we see that The Director is Dependent/Independent and your abilities are Gifts/Burdens. We occupy a House/Prison. The duality of these things are well trodden cliches, and for me, it ties into the game's general exploration of the power of iconography and cultural reproduction. It makes a lot of thematic sense for an eldritch entity, especially one that seems to be simultaneously single and plural, to communicate in dualities as well.

Arianya posted:

Given that the mechanical entity led Jesse to the FBC, one figures it knew the risk to it being discovered. I would guess its either after an OOP or is imprisoned somewhere in the FBC and needs Jesse to let it loose.

I'm a sucker for metatext, so I interpret the blue spiral entity Jesse is always calling "You" as the player, a being from beyond her world that helps her do things. :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I interpret "Past Selves" as referring to Jesse's "past selves" aka the former directors.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I interpret "Past Selves" as referring to Jesse's "past selves" aka the former directors.

I agree, but there's also room for :speculate: and that's fun to me. Isn't it generally a Board of Directors, after all?

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 6, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What worries me about Jesse's friend is that it takes the appearance of something like a fractal, which is an endlessly repeating pattern. This seems far too close to the nature of the Hiss for my liking, plus its ability to seemingly effortlessly protect Jesse from the Hiss's posession also suggests a link between the Hiss and whatever this thing is. I'm a suspicious bastard.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

My take is, that WE, the player is Jesse's Friend telling her what she should do. This is what protects her.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/ControlRemedy/statuses/1238068225121947649

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nidoking do you plan to do the dlc content when it drops? I rented the game and don't really want to rent and buy dlc just to see where the story goes

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Len posted:

Nidoking do you plan to do the dlc content when it drops? I rented the game and don't really want to rent and buy dlc just to see where the story goes

I'll do my best. A lot will depend on timing - while the pace of this LP is pretty slow, if it wraps up too much before the DLC, I might or might not decide to wait for it. It will also depend on my own skills or lack thereof - I've tried the Jukebox missons that are part of the free update, and I haven't even managed to finish the first one yet.

Also hoping to get the next video wrapped up this weekend. Things in my life have been even more chaotic than usual for reasons I can't describe, and also I've been trying to figure out Puddle Knights with varying success.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/ControlRemedy/status/1238163048877174785

First DLC confirmed for March 26.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Don't watch that video if you want to be surprised by later events. It's probably not going to ruin your enjoyment or anything, but it definitely shows stuff we won't be finding out about for a while.

That said, cool. I've been waiting for it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh man. I just got done Platinuming this game. I swear it exists primarily to elude any attempt at establishing how good a game it is; never before have I seen a game I love so much with so many elements I hate, or perhaps a game I hate so much with so many elements I love. All I know is, for better or worse, I can't get enough of this game, and I'm pumped for whatever the hell the upcoming expansion is.

Also, I would like to note that the DLC challenge mode sucks unbelievably.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've certainly had a lot of <Fun/Trouble> trying to emulate Board-speak, but I don't even want to try with today's video. I'm making a storm with my sweat just thinking about it.

I think many people underestimate the janitorial staff, particularly in their own workplace, when applicable, but really, janitors everywhere. I'm not just talking about the disease that's spreading all over the world as I write this, although that's certainly bringing the issue of cleanliness to many people, but have you ever considered that cleaning needs to happen in even the most secure, highly classified facilities? Did you think the scientists and military officers who use those spaces cleaned up after themselves? Janitors, as far as I know, get the highest access to every place there is, because nobody has the time to watch them work. (Granted, they can't usually access those facilities themselves, but someone will open the door and then go back to their job and let the janitor mop the floors, empty the trash, dust the filing cabinets....) That requires the highest level of clearance that's applicable. All this for one of the most underappreciated jobs. I always thank the janitor when they come to clean my work space, and I encourage everyone out there to do the same. And mean it. Really, appreciate your janitors. However, I would not normally suggest going so far as to take orders from them. Ahti, the janitor at the FBC, is an exception. He's opened our way forward, and all he needs us to do is a little bit of cleaning. If we don't get it done, everybody in the FBC will die. No big deal, right? After everything, we're a janitor's assistant through and through.

Part 5: Meet Me in the Maintenance Polsy Youtube Documents

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ahti definitely seems to be the one who understands The Oldest House the most of anyone.

I love how villainous/unsettling his first appearance is but he's really just a kindhearted old man who simply UNDERSTANDS the weirdness around him to a point no one else does

I also love the Threshold Kids so much. I'm almost certain the voices are folks we've met but I can't place them. It's just another pitch perfect demonstration of the tone Control is going for.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 19, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fedule posted:

Also, I would like to note that the DLC challenge mode sucks unbelievably.

God yeah it's really not good! I don't know if it's actively bad or if I'd just had enough but I have up on after about 30 minutes and never went back

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Crane Fist posted:

God yeah it's really not good! I don't know if it's actively bad or if I'd just had enough but I have up on after about 30 minutes and never went back

I've twat at some length about the subject, maybe my observations will resonate (no spoilers in this thread): https://twitter.com/Fedule/status/1238953480347402240

Re: the latest video, something that went completely over my head the first time playing is that what's inside the NSC is actually former director Northmoor. The hint the game gives you is very blunt, very direct, unmissably located on the critical path, and yet somehow subtle enough that you might not connect the dots unless the possibility has already occurred to you. But it's all there in that last Hotline call; "Northmoor was all about power." "I had to... contain the situation." "Northmoor... went along with it, to his credit." "A director's most basic duty is to keep the lights on." Ahti also hints at it in his cutscene; he refers to "the pensioner inside starting to feel the band around his head tighten". This is liable to written off as just Ahti being his usual cryptic self, but then if you hang around he just spells it out; "Pensioner, yes, Northmoor, mister director. Starting to climb on the walls of his bachelor pad."

So that's
something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I never made that connection either. I figured the NSC was just some Eldritch nuclear system

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
So that would make it the (actual possible spoiler based on previous discussion) Northmoor Special Containment, then?

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Next week on This Oldest House
Norm spruces up the concrete slabs of the bureau's signature brutalist architecture with some tasteful mahaaawgany paneling.
Bob plans out some landscaping and a water feature around the Pyramid to really bring out the majesty of that central piece.
The crew plans permanent accommodations for the control points, perhaps a kitchenette and half bath to add a real homey feel.

My memories of This Old House are dimmed by the mists/voids of time since I watched/absorbed it in my younger days...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
you know what they say about gamers and looking up?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mokinokaro posted:

Ahti definitely seems to be the one who understands The Oldest House the most of anyone.

I love how villainous/unsettling his first appearance is but he's really just a kindhearted old man who simply UNDERSTANDS the weirdness around him to a point no one else does

I just love how drat Finnish he is. I'm fully expecting him to use one of the shelters as a sauna at some point and carve a cock at the end of his broom handle while sitting at a campfire in the middle of a hallway and snacking on Salmiakki :finland:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AltaBrown posted:

So that would make it the (actual possible spoiler based on previous discussion) Northmoor Special Containment, then?

Northmoor Sarcophagus Chamber

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fedule posted:

I've twat at some length about the subject, maybe my observations will resonate (no spoilers in this thread): https://twitter.com/Fedule/status/1238953480347402240

Yeah this is exactly the problem I had with it and a good summary of the reasons I'll never go back to it. Nail on the head right here

Fedule posted:

Re: the latest video, something that went completely over my head the first time playing is that what's inside the NSC is actually former director Northmoor. The hint the game gives you is very blunt, very direct, unmissably located on the critical path, and yet somehow subtle enough that you might not connect the dots unless the possibility has already occurred to you. But it's all there in that last Hotline call; "Northmoor was all about power." "I had to... contain the situation." "Northmoor... went along with it, to his credit." "A director's most basic duty is to keep the lights on." Ahti also hints at it in his cutscene; he refers to "the pensioner inside starting to feel the band around his head tighten". This is liable to written off as just Ahti being his usual cryptic self, but then if you hang around he just spells it out; "Pensioner, yes, Northmoor, mister director. Starting to climb on the walls of his bachelor pad."

So that's
something.

oh what the gently caress

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fedule posted:

Re: the latest video,

Glad to know I'm not the only person who didn't make these connections. I've been recording the gameplay and thinking to myself "Dang, why didn't I spot that until it was pointed out to me?" I have plans for helping the audience put the pieces together some time down the line.

Fish Noise posted:

you know what they say about gamers and looking up?

That the best place to hide something from someone with ADHD is at eye level?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What's Ahti's method of going to vacation? Handing in the paperwork, then asking the Oldest House for a portal to Acapulco (or chosen vacation spot)?

Probably no paperwork involved though, no way the Bureau doesn't work for him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
All I'll say is that there's a bit of follow up on Ahti later in the game but it might only raise more questions.

That's one thing the game never really expands on though. We know the Bureau is able to send people into the outside world but are the folks who work there actually living lives outside of it? I almost expected to find some kind of worker quarters in the game but the only beds we see are for experiments or in the shelters. Maybe it's not too hard to come and go when the building isn't on lockdown.

At the very least it feels like the Director is never supposed to leave.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Mokinokaro posted:

I never made that connection either. I figured the NSC was just some Eldritch nuclear system

AltaBrown posted:

Well of course it's completely unrelated I'm sure but if you explore enough you might find a bank of monitors hooked to thermal imaging cameras showing a human shaped thermal hotspot walking around

It's right below the big sign saying "Northmoor Sarcophagus Containment"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Gamers are like dogs, they just kind of do things arbitrarily, and can't look up.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

What's Ahti's method of going to vacation? Handing in the paperwork, then asking the Oldest House for a portal to Acapulco (or chosen vacation spot)?

Probably no paperwork involved though, no way the Bureau doesn't work for him.

If my guess about Ahti's nature is correct, going on vacation would involve the entire Oldest House teleporting to Acapulco. Or maybe Finland. Maybe he's pining for the fjords. I assume he's been here at least since Vikings first explored the northeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

All I'll say is that there's a bit of follow up on Ahti later in the game but it might only raise more questions.

That's one thing the game never really expands on though. We know the Bureau is able to send people into the outside world but are the folks who work there actually living lives outside of it? I almost expected to find some kind of worker quarters in the game but the only beds we see are for experiments or in the shelters. Maybe it's not too hard to come and go when the building isn't on lockdown.

At the very least it feels like the Director is never supposed to leave.

I'd love to see a staff quarters level just because of the weird quirky things that could go in.