Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'd say we're about halfway through Sidequest Hell at this point, and I'm not going to try to claim that we've left the best for last. On one hand, we've got a couple of bosses to fight, the end of Langston's scavenger hunt list, a new power, and quite possibly the most important document in the entire game. On the other hand, there's more space than secrets, so I may end up searching some areas and not finding anything interesting. I don't think that's going to be a problem for Containment, at least. There's always something interesting going on in Containment.

Part 24: Cleaning the Clocks Polsy Youtube Documents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's getting a bit weird that all your title screenshots have "USE THE TOKEN IN THE JUKEBOX" on the top left, I keep thinking that's the next video's title.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'll be fixing that shortly. This simply stands as a testament for all time that Remedy broke a quest with a patch, that they're aware of it, and that they've decided that being broken is the desired state for that quest through several more patch cycles. Also, that because I know what I intend to do, I've been too lazy to go in and choose a different mission.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I hate that loving anchor so much it isn’t funny. I originally played it when there wasn’t a control point right beside the boss and the trip back was always tedious.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 15, 2021

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Re: the television with the pink flamingo, wouldn't a mirror have been more fun?

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 15, 2021

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Octatonic posted:

Re: the television with the pink flamingo, wouldn't a mirror have been more fun?

Ask this question again after two more episodes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DreamingofRoses posted:

I hate that loving anchor so much it isn’t funny. I originally played it when there wasn’t a control point right beside the boss and the trip back was always tedious.

yeah, i flipped on invulnerability to get through that point. what an irritating design. loved it in concept! but woof, not very much fun at all.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Nidoking posted:

Ask this question again after two more episodes.

All I wanted out of this game was for Director Trench to do a sick John-Woo style slow motion shooting dive, all while making an "i'm smelling something stinky" face.

e: if anyone in this game watches Captain Baseball Bat Boy though, It's Langston.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 15, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The weird thing about the lantern is that they're not traditionally hung outside ramen shops in Japan, which if anything skew slightly Chinese in their decor. They're much more associated with pubs (izakaya), yakitori spots, and other places with cheap food that goes well with alcohol. That's not to say ramen lanterns don't exist, but they wouldn't be archetypal for purposes of the Bureau.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm trying to get back in the groove of making videos more regularly, but we're finally into the part of the year when it gets hot where I live. The good news is that snow doesn't tend to fall when it's this warm out. The bad news is that thanks to my hyper-sensitivity to temperature changes, I can't keep the house cool without running a noisy fan, so recording commentary means setting aside time to bake for a while. But I've got plenty of videos edited, and the end of Sidequest Hell is within sight. There are some tough bosses left in the Research Sector, but there's also some neat stuff to learn, some experimental Finnish rock music, and a whole lot of ground to retread that doesn't have any bosses in it. We'll get to bosses shortly.

Part 25: My Sister Lives in Glasgow Polsy Youtube Documents

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Did you try to reverse agent Hardy mirror speech to see if there anything useful in there?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So this diagram is literally the synthesis of meth.

I suppose the "BLUE" makes it a reference to Breaking Bad?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

MiiNiPaa posted:

Did you try to reverse agent Hardy mirror speech to see if there anything useful in there?

.gnihtyreve dnatsrednu lliw uoy dna tneitap eB .taht od ot deen on si erehT

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm glad I didn't research this one any further on my own.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I suppose the "BLUE" makes it a reference to Breaking Bad?

ha nice. never caught that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1403006467578421251

Control is free to own on the Epic Game Store until the 17th.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sidequest Hell is almost finished, so it's time to get to the things I've been putting off until I was strong enough to deal with them. The Mirror holds a challenge that I think has been greatly diminished with subsequent updates to the game, and as for Mold-1... well, the extra Launch power really helps there too, if you use it properly. Basically, if you're just getting around to playing Control now, you're in much better shape than I was when it came out. Niaga revo lla emit tsrif eht rof ti ecneirepxe dna kcab og nac uoy os emit dniwer ot woh nreal ot tnaw uoy sekam tsomla ti. Almost.

Part 26: !sessob eht lla htiw ti potS Polsy Youtube Documents

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Nidoking posted:

The Mirror holds a challenge that I think has been greatly diminished with subsequent updates to the game

Her AI was godamn mean when the game first came out. It is possible that I've just gotten better on subsequent play throughs, but yeah I'm personally quite sure that one got dialed back quite a bit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I heard that. You took the recording of yourself saying "Jesse" and reversed that whenever you referred to the mirror boss.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Stroth posted:

Her AI was godamn mean when the game first came out. It is possible that I've just gotten better on subsequent play throughs, but yeah I'm personally quite sure that one got dialed back quite a bit.

It's hard to tell. My fighting style has evolved from "Use whatever makes sense at the time" to "Launch until you're out of Energy, then get more Energy" and I used to have Pierce on all the time. I know they did scale back the difficulty of one side mission in the DLC in a patch, which gives me a tiny sense of pride from having managed it beforehand, but I don't know whether they explicitly tweaked anything else. Having the extra Launch power from the patches definitely makes a difference, though.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I heard that. You took the recording of yourself saying "Jesse" and reversed that whenever you referred to the mirror boss.

That was always my plan. In fact, my first take only used her name once or twice, so I did a second take to add a few more. I was also going to say "Finally, everything's back to normal" after leaving the Mirror and reverse that too, but there wasn't a good time to do that.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Nidoking posted:

Sidequest Hell is almost finished, so it's time to get to the things I've been putting off until I was strong enough to deal with them. The Mirror holds a challenge that I think has been greatly diminished with subsequent updates to the game, and as for Mold-1... well, the extra Launch power really helps there too, if you use it properly. Basically, if you're just getting around to playing Control now, you're in much better shape than I was when it came out. Niaga revo lla emit tsrif eht rof ti ecneirepxe dna kcab og nac uoy os emit dniwer ot woh nreal ot tnaw uoy sekam tsomla ti. Almost.

Does it make me a better or worse grammar Nazi that I can identify backwards spelling errors?

Also esseJ, like most of the bosses in this game, kicked my rear end repeatedly. Like the poster above said, at some point it turned into me just throwing poo poo at her. I still do not hate her as much as I do the anchor, though.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DreamingofRoses posted:

Does it make me a better or worse grammar Nazi that I can identify backwards spelling errors?

Also esseJ, like most of the bosses in this game, kicked my rear end repeatedly. Like the poster above said, at some point it turned into me just throwing poo poo at her. I still do not hate her as much as I do the anchor, though.

At worst it makes you an izaN.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
No sign of it in the patches, but she is one of the bosses they added a new control point for, which might do it on its own just from the lessened frustration of having to hike all the way back every time.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
?lla meht fo esseJ laer tsom eht si ohw llaw eht no ,rorriM ,rorriM

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Don't worry, my long silence isn't because I forgot about this or got burned out from all the sidequests. I've been really busy, haven't had much time to work on videos for the past month or so, and wanted to have something more to show for it than this video. Alas, that hasn't come together yet, but I'm hoping I can pick up the pace from here. The good news is that this is the last of Sidequest Hell. At the end of this video, I will have done just about everything I can do at this point in the game aside from progressing the plot. Still not touching the Jukebox missions for a good while. But don't worry - next time, we will definitely find out what Dylan wanted us to see.

Part 27: Please no more Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

And here we go. New territory, starting with the Prime Candidate Program, the department Trench established to identify and investigate people who potentially had what it takes to be future Directors. Honestly, there's not a whole lot of information here, but what we get is pretty enlightening. Dylan wanted Jesse to see it, but is it going to have the effect he expected?

Part 28: The Prime Candidate Program Polsy Youtube Documents

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I figured that with "Hysteria" and "Bad Company" listed in that first document, "Imaginary Female Trouble" had to be an album by a 70s-80s rock band that I just hadn't heard of yet

Nope

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think they forgot "Nonsensical Alphabetization".

This looks like one of those memes where you score how many of the things in the list you'd fit and then laugh at the Jack Chick tracts that list them as sins. It looks like a thinly veiled "Stop masturbating so much" PSA until you get to "Suppressed Masturbation" and then I really don't know what to think anymore. "Rumor of Husband Murder" really? "The War"? "NOVEL READING"?

"Excessive Sexual Abuse" as opposed to the appropriate amount?

And "Politics" makes sense, but then you've got "Political Excitement" and "Bad Habits & Political Excitement".

"The War"

"Salvation Army"

"Marriage of Son"

I get that it's one of those for-profit outfits that just takes in "undesirables" (had to check to make sure that wasn't actually on the list), but they really didn't try to hide it, did they?

"Fighting Fire" just slide down that fancy pole and right into your straitjacket

"Desertion OF Husband" and "Desertion BY Husband" and "Ill Treatment by Husband" but the husband apparently actually has to commit murder to qualify.

"Parents Were Cousins"

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
"time of life"
Nobody puts baby in a corner... but I guess they can put her in the asylum

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Fell from a horse in the war" well now we're getting into postrock instrumental albums

E: The audio with the psychiatrist sounded more like she was trying to gaslight Jesse into believing she fantasized everything about the slide projector, especially with how she sounds defeated and confused at the end.

I haven't played through the game (or finished this video yet even) so if it does turn out Jesse somehow willed it into being an Altered Item that'll be an interesting change from what I'd expect from a Federal Bureau of Control

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 10, 2021

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Phy posted:

E: The audio with the psychiatrist sounded more like she was trying to gaslight Jesse into believing she fantasized everything about the slide projector, especially with how she sounds defeated and confused at the end.

It strikes me as the sort of conversation that can have a different apparent meaning when you're missing pieces of the puzzle. From the perspective of someone who thinks everything in the world behaves according to simple physical principles, it makes sense that a psychologist would aim to ground their patient in reality. On the other hand, if you know that not to be the case, then you might suspect that there's more going on. The Bureau has this recording, so they were clearly monitoring Jesse's session. It seems at least possible, if not likely, that the psychologist is someone who was working with the Bureau from the very beginning, either to groom Jesse as a Prime Candidate or to steer her away. It's one of those situations where the responses would be the same either way, so there's no way to tell just from observing.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Nidoking posted:

It strikes me as the sort of conversation that can have a different apparent meaning when you're missing pieces of the puzzle. From the perspective of someone who thinks everything in the world behaves according to simple physical principles, it makes sense that a psychologist would aim to ground their patient in reality. On the other hand, if you know that not to be the case, then you might suspect that there's more going on. The Bureau has this recording, so they were clearly monitoring Jesse's session. It seems at least possible, if not likely, that the psychologist is someone who was working with the Bureau from the very beginning, either to groom Jesse as a Prime Candidate or to steer her away. It's one of those situations where the responses would be the same either way, so there's no way to tell just from observing.

I believe this recording is right after incident. Bureau didn't yet decide on making Jessie P7, and Jessie didn't run away yet. So it probably was regular damage control and information suppression by Bureau. Probably every witness of AWE is either isolated or made to doubt themself and consider everything a hallutination or whatever alignes with cover story.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

MiiNiPaa posted:

I believe this recording is right after incident. Bureau didn't yet decide on making Jessie P7, and Jessie didn't run away yet.

I don't believe that's the case at all. The psychologist uses phrases like "when you were a child" and "when you were growing up", which would be rather redundant if Jesse were still a child.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was going to say "Unless Jessie sounded like an adult when she was a child", but was too late.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

My take is the bureau wanted to know, if she caused the Ordinary AWE.

from that conversation, we know the center of it was a Projector.
sounds like, like the mirror, that there was different worlds in the pictures.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Nidoking posted:

I get that it's one of those for-profit outfits that just takes in "undesirables" (had to check to make sure that wasn't actually on the list), but they really didn't try to hide it, did they?

considering one of them is literally "exhaling", no they bloody well did not

Dictionary posted:

car·bon·ic ac·id gas
kärˈbänik ˈasəd ɡas/
noun
noun: carbonic acid gas

archaic term for carbon dioxide.

E: I also rather take issue with asthma, which they knew even then was a physical issue, being a reason for admittance to the looney bin.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 14, 2021

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That website listed on that image is like, an organisation that does "ghost tours" through the asylum.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this list was made up in modern times to be a part of their ghost tour thing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I probably should have checked Snopes first - I think it's a sign of how far things have fallen recently that it wasn't my first thought. From everything I've found in my research, it looks like the list is, indeed, a contemporary list of the stated reasons patients were admitted to the facility, but the framing is misleading. The reasons for admission in the list are the statements of the people who filled out the admission paperwork, not the doctors. As might be expected of the late 1800s, husbands in particular could have their wives committed to avoid the public spectacle of a divorce, and the reasons they gave didn't need to pass much muster. It really is a Chick tract list, with no-kidding things like "my wife never used to read, but I've caught her reading novels, so I think she's not right in the head" on it. Apparently, even then, the doctors didn't really believe it, but I'd imagine that the protocols of the time required them to dutifully note those reasons and admit the patients, regardless of their own opinions.

And while I probably shouldn't get this political in a Let's Play thread, particularly while discussing something that's only tangentially related to the game... gently caress it, it's my thread. Anyone who thinks this list is a relic of the 1800s and not relevant today hasn't been following LGBTQ+ rights movements very closely, and about the only difference between this list and the concerns of the Black Lives Matter movement is that the people in the 1800s were brought into the hospitals alive and not executed on the spot by police for reasons about as cogent, which is to say not at all. Nothing's changed - it's just moved to venues that haven't yet had a Dorothea Dix-style reform, and targets who don't yet have the support white women got back then.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've been feeling a little off recently, but I'm still plugging away at this, bit by bit. We're getting back on track, and finally moving into the endgame. It's odd that Jesse needs to go to the Ordinary AWE wing to learn what's going on, since she was there. She knows what happened. But now, she's seeing it from the Bureau's perspective, seeing how much they really know about it. There's an odd reverence in creating a department just for a single event, after all. But most of that takes a back seat when we can finally afford the upgrade I've been saving up for.

Part 29: Still Control but now I can juggle Polsy Youtube Documents

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

NOTE: These are actual spoilers for content in the video.

The turntable:
I wonder how The Bureau get into the subway, and then to the Oldest House .
are they invited? do the Oldest House create the path?
The Interview:
Wow, I do not like Carla .
Why would you ask about the date , when Dylan hasn't been given a Calendar .
The Anger Makes perfect sense, and I'm on Dylan's side here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SniHjen posted:

The Interview:
Wow, I do not like Carla .
Why would you ask about the date , when Dylan hasn't been given a Calendar .
The Anger Makes perfect sense, and I'm on Dylan's side here.

She's asking about the date because it's a question on the test they give everyone who just wanders into The Oldest House without being expected (because that sort of thing should be impossible given the natural cloaking The Oldest House provides to itself and everything in it). For the actual intended use, it'd probably be helpful to figure out if the person were from this planet/plane/dimension/etc. or somewhere else. For the way it's being used here, it's just emphasizing that Dylan's being treated as a potentially hostile invader for what he did rather than a member of the Bureau in line to be the next Director. The anger is perfectly reasonable but it's also reasonable not to want to take his "aw shucks that was just an accident I swear it won't happen again!" at face value.