Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm still waiting for when we get a picard esque sequel to Alien Resurrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
There are a lot of things I want to talk about regarding this franchise.

For example, it's real dumb in Jurassic world 2 when the military wants to use raptors for weapons but is it any less dumb than intentionally facehugging someone and then shipping them onto your military spaceship so you can research making xenomorphs into weapons?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Which Alien movies correspond to which Star Wars film?

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

reignofevil posted:

is it any less dumb than intentionally facehugging someone and then shipping them onto your military spaceship so you can research making xenomorphs into weapons?

No, it's way more dumb.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dead Space 1 is Alien. Dead Space 2 is Aliens. Dead Space 3 is Alien 3+resurrection.

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
Alien resurrection has a very good and ambiguous ending- a genetic abomination and a robot talk to each other about whether humans can even be redeemed then see the sunrise and earth from atmo and declare it beautiful. Then credits. Pretty decent. No alien or aliens, but pretty loving decent.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Alien = ANH
Aliens = ESB
Alien 3 = ROTJ
Alien: Resurrection = TPM
Alien v Predator = AOTC
Alien v Predator: Requiem = Solo
Prometheus = R1
Alien: Covenant = TLJ

???

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I never watched Prometheus and I haven't seen alien covenant but everything I've heard about them is that I'll hate them.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i get anxious in alien threads until Xenomorph makes an appearance

resurrection is insurrection, AvP|2 is nemesis

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Alien versus predator 2's had a really good track record until Alien Versus Predator Requiem

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

alien is like terminator, in that you watch the first two movies and nothing else, but read about the weird bullshit spins the successive installments try to put onto the core ideas

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Squizzle posted:

alien is like terminator, in that you watch the first two movies and nothing else, but read about the weird bullshit spins the successive installments try to put onto the core ideas

TSCC was good :colbert:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I really like alien 3, non Director cut, other than the atrocious cgi. I'd love a cleaned up version that just modernized the effects

The cons running around the leadworks tunnels while the monster stalks them, occasionally from its pov, is just the best

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zoran posted:

doesnt that involve time travel to the future?? sorry, that is a major sin in a terminator thing. there is no fate but what we make

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So what is cool about the alien franchise. I don't ask that like I don't know I mean it in a philosophical or else-wise scientific sense. The same way a person might ask "what is the essence of wetness", it's inherently obvious but there is value to the question.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zoran posted:

season 3 was primed to loving rule but they strangled that series before it could really take off.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dash Rendar posted:

season 3 was primed to loving rule but they strangled that series before it could really take off.

sadly there was no way they were going to get the budget to do the obvious season 3 concept any justice.

There was a (pretty good) season 2 ep with future war scenes that were entirely restricted to sounds and flashing lights in a single-room bunker

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There is an Aliens comic where a failing xenomorph colony tries to make a dude bang his mom to create more hosts. They tore her limbs off first, of course.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

could have lived a happy life not knowing that

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Ah ok. I prefer the Aliens comics with Super Man in them and stuff

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Squizzle posted:

could have lived a happy life not knowing that

If it helps he didn't bang his mum (he mercy kills her instead)

It's also ambiguous whether any of that actually happened or not since the character in question spends the entire graphic novel loving with the POV character

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

reignofevil posted:

I never watched Prometheus and I haven't seen alien covenant but everything I've heard about them is that I'll hate them.

Prometheus has some really good ideas but every character not named David and Shaw are lacking in characterization which gets frustrating. It has some of the best scenes in the whole franchise IMO.

Alien Covenant's problem is that its a Xeno movie and 1 of the 2 main characters from Prometheus got Alien 3'd. Best part of that movie is the opening scene.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Prometheus is mostly terrible, but Michael Fassbender steals whatever show is there to steal. I know he's supposed to be made out to be some kind of monster, (is he, an android, the real "alien"?? Ooooooh) but I honestly sympathise with him. There's the one line where Male Love Interest is preaching to David about God and meeting him, and David says something to the effect of never having to ask that question. And honestly everyone in the movie other than Shaw is the dumbest of idiot morons so who can blame him for thinking of humans with only contempt (and choosing the one who is kind of not an idiot moron to save). Idris Elba is alright, but I guess someone had to sacrifice themselves to keep the rest of the idiot morons from killing literally everybody.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I kinda liked Requiem. Sure, every human being in the movie was dumb as gently caress or just adjacent to, but seeing the situation itself in town rapidly deteriorate from "Some people went missing" to "Holy poo poo! Monsters are everywhere!" was a thrill.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Squizzle posted:

One of my friends swears by Alien3 and I can accept the arguments in its favor, but I'm extremely with you on the Terminator movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perhaps we should stop letting the directors of beloved movies from the late 70s early 80s make modern prequels to those movies

Jaws prequel! See little Jaws as a baby fish! (he was a slave and he built Bruce from the original movie)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Perhaps we should stop letting the directors of beloved movies from the late 70s early 80s make modern prequels to those movies

Jaws prequel! See little Jaws as a baby fish! (he was a slave and he built Bruce from the original movie)

Everyone's work goes to poo poo once they start believing their own hype.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or we can let only Denis Villeneuve make them

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Which alien movie was by jean poerre jeunet, the amelie guy? I haven't seen it but kinda want to. Otherwise I've only seen 1, 2, and prometheus, the last of which has its problems but some really great scenes

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Resurrection

it is also a weird prototype Firefly 'cause Joss Whedon was involved in the script. ymmv.

Ron Perlman is in it and owns every scene he is in. also the body horror in that one is top notch.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jean Pierre Jeunet + Ron Perlman + Body Horror you say ??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

alnilam posted:

i said nothing of the sort

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Giving Ripley superstrength was the dumbest, whedonest thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

alnilam posted:

also a great film!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

alnilam posted:

I had to watch this for a sociology class in college. All I remember is Ron Perlman speaking french

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

I guess the sci-fi genre just isn't your thing then. Prometheus is one of the top two or three sci-fi films of the 21st century.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:thunk:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This is relieving to hear. Like feeling pressured to learn to swim your entire life and then someone telling you that you live in arizona.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Its pretty funny that they were allowed to smoke in the spaceship. Lung cancer rates must be through the roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I guess the sci-fi genre just isn't your thing then. Prometheus is one of the top two or three sci-fi films of the 21st century.

Jesus, has the 21st century really been that bad?