Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was in Barcelona last September. I am not a clubber nor an experienced EU traveler (so take my ramblings with a grain of salt) and found tons of things to do. I also got lucky with great weather and was there during Catalonia's Independence Day festival or something. I don't know but all the independence groups were selling t-shirts and whatnot. It was pretty cool.

I loved Barcelona and would definitely return and see more of Catalonia and Spain overall. Between commuter and regional trains + cheap flights, you can use it as a base and day trip around too. We also visited Palma as well as Girona.

I was personally surprised at how widely spoken Catalan was. I kind of went into it thinking it is one of those languages spoken at home/among family but no, lots of restaurant workers speaking it at first. Yes they speak Spanish as well and there is some overlap between the two languages. You won't be refused service for it. But just a heads up if your poo poo Spanish isn't getting you by, that's probably why.

Interacting with younger people they almost all speak English.

I had great Japanese, Romanian, Italian, and a lot more when I was there. I actually found it hard (not impossible) to find traditional Catalonian or Spanish food.

loving coffee man. It is good and it is everywhere. Everything from the nicest restaurant to the hole-in-the-wall bar will have delicious espresso. If you love your coffee you'll love this city.

I did not do any tours while there and just enjoyed the artwork and architecture from the outside. I did go to this museum in Girona which was really cool.

Estrella Damm is awesome. Beer and just alcohol in general and food overall is very affordable.

Public transit is robust and affordable. Night buses fill the gap once the metro shuts down.

You can't rent the bike share stations but there are bike shops all over the place that rent either by the hour or by the day.

The only time I found my lack of Spanish limiting was if I was going to a hyper locals only type place. But in restaurants, pointing and broken Spanish usually gets what you want accomplished.

Credit cards are widely accepted and I didn't mess around with cash that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU