Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hello and welcome back to The Best, a monthly thread where we discuss a single pro wrestling move that just happens to be the best. This month's move was my favorite move when I was a kid and still rules a bunch: THE CHOKESLAM

The chokeslam is a simple but brutal-looking move. First you need to take the wind out of your opponent by grabbing a hold of their throat, ie. the "choke" part of the chokeslam. This is a highly tactical maneuver and a crucial part of the move. You then lift them up (usually grabbing them by their torso/waist with your other hand) and then toss them onto their back onto the mat. I believe this part is known as the "slam" in the industry.

The move looks the best when done from maximum height, which is likely one of the reasons it's mostly found in the movesets of tall wrestlers who are able to make the move look dramatic.

However, there have been some notable smaller wrestlers known to use the chokeslam, Hurricane Helms likely being the most well-known one.

The move is simple enough that there isn't that much variation to be found. Some wrestlers, however, just have a knack for making it look good, like Kane, at least when he was younger. I think it's because he didn't seem to give much of a poo poo about how his opponent landed (see above). In that way I guess the chokeslam is much like the powerbomb, another move that looks better the less of a poo poo you give about the unfortunate dude taking it. Another example of this is Loud Shouting Man Lance Archer's excellent chokeslam. He lifts a dude as high as humanly possible and then just tosses them into the planetary core.

An actual variation is the chokeslam where the chokeslammer lifts the opponent up and then pushes them down with all of their might, landing on their own knee/knees in the process. At least Big Show and The Undertaker used to do this. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks like rear end. By the way, it is loving hard to find good gifs of Big Show doing chokeslams for some reason. Most of them are ruined by WWE's dogshit camera work.

Of course, if you're powerful enough, you can even use both of your hands to execute a double chokeslam on two opponents.

Oh dear!

There is also the extremely rare reverse chokeslam where you grab the enemy by their neck and throw them on their stomach. I personally do not like it but perhaps someone could pull it off.

Finally, there is a forbidden black magic variant: The hands-free chokeslam. This move is highly illegal and you are not allowed to use it.

Looking at this post I see that I've nearly exclusively posted WWE wrestlers here. That's because I honestly don't know too many people outside of WWE who use a chokeslam. Maybe you have some good chokeslams from outside of WWE to show the thread!

Previous The Best threads:

The Best Vol. 5: Eye Poke
The Best Vol. 4: German Suplex
The Best Vol. 3: Lariat
The Best Vol. 2: Powerbomb
The Best Vol. 1: Dropkick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

God drat that is a good rear end chokeslam. Plus The Giant starting a match with a dropkick

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

mkay0 posted:

The best chokeslams are taken, not given. Brock taking them is my favorite

Yeah, it's definitely a move that is probably more than 50% the guy taking it. You need to be able to jump up high to get that maximum height and that sweet sweet stalling in the air factor. Some extra panicky wriggling also helps. It is however down to the chokeslammer to make it seem like they're driving the guy into the depths of hell with the move

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Good chokeslams but why was this guy called ”911”? I hope it was at least so that they could do a ”someone call 911” bit or something.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

February is nearly over. Who wants to post the next The Best thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

do they have to be specific moves or just The Best as relates to wrestling in general

You can make a thread about whatever you think is The Best pro wrestling move.