Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GranBlue Fantasy Versus is the newest Arc System Works fighter, the game devs that created Guilty Gear, and BlazBlue. The game is out now in the Asian region, and will be available in North America on March 3rd for PlayStation 4. You can buy it now though PSN Hong Kong where the game has a full English option. I purchased the $100 PSN HK card through Play-Asia and used that to have the exact amount necessary for the Digital Deluxe version that comes with Character Pass 1 and the soundtrack.

Right now Granblue is only on PlayStation 4, but ArcSystem Works is good about porting their games to other platforms, I think pretty much all of their games from this current gen are on PC? So at the very least we'll see that. They've talked about wanting to bring this to Switch, but from what they've said, they won't really happen due to the level of detail and graphic fidelity of the game. It's a fully 3d cel-shaded fighter that really pushes the PS4 as is.

GranBlue Versus presents itself as a very simple fighting game that has style over substance. All of the combos are simple 1 or 2 button presses, but it's knowing when to use the right type of combo one after the other, and having good timing with blocking in competitive play that will set players apart. This game will be one of the top premier fighters at Evo 2020, and SonicFox is practicing on this title and has currently made it their main fighting game. So I think there is a lot of promise here for a very competitive fighting scene. On top of that it is just straight up one of the prettiest fighting games ever, at least until the new Guilty Gear releases. The animation has completely blown me away. It is all in-game graphics using the latest generation Unreal Engine, and it runs incredibly well on the PS4 Hardware. Arc System Works also intends to support this game for at least 2 years, with two character passes planned, and a bunch of additional content not yet announced.

The big standout mode for this game is RPG Mode, where you unlock fighters, level them up, level up weapons, and grind out fights. You play by yourself, with an AI partner, or co-op with a friend. You can also set the AI to play for you. This feels like a mix of the storymode, and RPG mode from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, but a evolution of both of those modes and then combining them into one. There is also your typical arcade mode, a VS. mode that is against either the CPU or friend, quick match making for online competitive, and 64 player online lobbies that are a arcade room where you challenge avatars controller by real people, and can socialize and chat.

I will actually admit the game right now feels a bit barebones. You'll be playing RPG mode quite a bit, along with against a friend on the couch, or jumping into online mode. If you're looking for a very strong single player game, I really don't think its there, but outside of NetherRealm fighting games, it almost never is. I am really hoping GranBlue Versus will have strong showing at Evo 2020. I think the graphics, characters, and soundtrack will be enough to gain a lot of attention. The charm of the presentation is great and what originally drew me to this title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not getting the game as I'm terrible at fighters and don't have a competitive bone in my body most of the time, but man it's fun to watch.

Can never find any Ladiva gameplay. Show me the strong wrestle lady slamming faces already, hell.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Game feels a bit rough around the edges, the loading times in rpg mode are too long and frequent and it's weirdly isolated from the rest of the game besides weapon skins.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not getting the game as I'm terrible at fighters and don't have a competitive bone in my body most of the time, but man it's fun to watch.

Being bad at fighters is the exact reason to play them

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Game feels a bit rough around the edges, the loading times in rpg mode are too long and frequent and it's weirdly isolated from the rest of the game besides weapon skins.

Agree with you on the load times, especially during the menus. But yeah, bad at fighters is actually a good reason to play them, I think the skill ceiling to get proficient at them is not that high usually. GranBlue as well throws you a helping hand with a handicap option, and having the combos displayed on the screen. :v: It's made to be pretty accessible at a casual level by all of the combos having one or two button presses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish the AI controlled option for your fighter in RPG mode, wasn't so terrible. I don't understand how Arc System messed this up because it was perfect in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
i'm holding out hope for a PC release. i'm not super into fighting games, but i am pretty into granblue fantasy, so i'm really delighted at just watching other people play if nothing else.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m glad this seems to more SF paced than anime paced. I’m still playing SFV a lot but would love a new fighting game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished the RPG mode, it is pretty short! I hope this gets more gameplay modes added eventually. I would really like the unlimited RPG mode from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dis me. I have no interest in tourneys or online play so fighting games for me end up being games that I play for like a week until I exhaust the single player content and then they go to sit on the shelf forever because I've become too good at it for my friends to have fun playing with me and they're equally noncompetitive and nobody likes competition enough to want to get better. So we just go back to playing Smash where the skill level is more even and it doesn't feel as bad when you lose constantly.

But I do love to watch these games. This seems as pretty as DBZF so I look forward to checking out a bit more of it. Unfortunately unlike DBZ, I know nothing about GBF so the roster looks disappointingly samey at first glance with the only standouts being the Big Woman and the Small Woman. Hopefully the expansions bring a little more variety to the roster since I have to assume there is variety based on how huge GBF is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bubs is probably the most unique character in fighter pass 1 theyve shown so far. there's some speculation the last character in it would be cagliostro, who'd be unique - she uses a large mechanical snake as her 'weapon' and is a kind of surly, self-absorbed alchemist.

for s2 they could really go anywhere with it. there's a lot of variety, and arcsys has said they didn't solely consider popularity (and ladiva isn't that popular a character, so there's obvious truth to it) but i'm sure popularity is still a factor, and a lot of the most popular characters are gonna occupy the same wheelhouse. I'd love an off the wall pick like Colossus, though -

Nicholas would also be cool, since his shtick is basically being a Kamen Rider. And he's had a few events focused on him, so he'd be fairly likely.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I played a few hours of the Japanese version last night, and I'm really curious to see how it develops.

It seems like out of the box, there are several really tricky matchups that people will have to figure out, and Ferry is insane. It'll be an interesting week one.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Arzachel posted:

yeah i won my placements and have been getting bodied nonstop since and it's been a blast

i've mostly been playing katalina but she seems to honest, might have to swap to someone more cheap to carry me

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can never find any Ladiva gameplay. Show me the strong wrestle lady slamming faces already, hell.

the single player looks cool. It is a beatem up rpg style thing!

If you are curious, you can look up team spooky on youtube and he has some single player streams.

btw some ladiva matches on spooky's channel

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is out now in the United States!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What got changed with the block button in the patch, if anything? Did they remove the OS people were talking about?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Yeah, they fixed proxy os.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think a new character got added too for those with the season pass? I havent had a chance to fire up the game in a bit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This game is fun. I don't quite have the time to watch 3757384 videos on character overviews though. Who should I pick as my anime fightman...I have tried Gran and he is good but his specials make me feel like an idiot.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Uhh what kind of playstyle interests you. Or just try everyone out it's not like there's a lot of characters in this game.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Well I haven't been heavy into zoners before, maybe that could be a thing for me. Also what's the difference between Ladiva and Vaseraga's styles?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Ladiva is a grappler whilst Vas is more of a mid-range guy with super armour, at least from what Dustloop says. Still waiting for this here in the UK. Can;t wait to give Ladiva a try and also excited to see how Soriz plays.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I'll try picking up Zeta. I've been maining Jade for the last year in MK11 and I really like that neutral control style of gameplay, plus she's already got the wiggle stick and a decent-looking projectile!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Nomyth posted:

I have tried Gran and he is good but his specials make me feel like an idiot.

Working as intended

Nomyth posted:

Well I haven't been heavy into zoners before, maybe that could be a thing for me. Also what's the difference between Ladiva and Vaseraga's styles?

Ladiva is Zangief, Vaseraga is Potemkin

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Vaseraga is more about mid-range-to-close pressure and space control than grappling per se, though he does have a command grab.

Ladiva is more of a traditional grappler who relies (even more than vaseraga) on getting in close. Once she does, she can start extremely scary strike/throw mixups.

With regards to being good at fighting games, everybody starts somewhere, and it's not necessary to become a top 8 contender at majors to press buttons online. This is one of the easiest fighting games to get into I've seen in a long time.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
This is supposed to be going up on Steam later today. I've been playing the Japanese PS4 version via gamesharing. Netcode isn't great even when wired and on fibre, which makes the pretty tight links this game has not really doable online. Anti air is good, projectiles are good, jumping sucks and rolls are baitable so it's very good if you're the kind of person who prefers more grounded games. Damage and oki does become explosive in the corner, though, generally everyone needs the corner to do big damage without super, unless you are Ladiva.

Of the two characters that hit with the season pass, Narmaya is very technical hypernerd (as far as this game goes) stance-based character with two completely different sets of normals and specials to learn. Beezlebub leans more towards the zoney type but has some mean setplay with the vacuum orb thing, safe chip with M xx 214L or M and, uniquely, three supers, with one of them alterable depending on range. Also teleports. He is better if you prefer to poke at people with bigger buttons. The teleport is not quite as scary as it looks, though.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 13, 2020

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What's the default stick layout? How much of a penalty is there using the special button? I know that there's some advantages for using it with charge characters, being crossup proof, or being able to really easily do standing grab super with Ladiva but I haven't seen any numbers on how much longer you're locked out of the move if you use the button as opposed to the motion.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

special button specials do less damage and have worse frame data

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

special button specials do less damage and have worse frame data

Really? I don't think the frame data is any different and the only damage differences I know are for Ladiva's 360/720s. Usually it's just the cooldown that's longer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Really? I don't think the frame data is any different and the only damage differences I know are for Ladiva's 360/720s. Usually it's just the cooldown that's longer.

Outside of Ladiva's SSBA doing 1000 less damage the only difference is cooldown time. Dustloop wiki is your friend
https://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Granblue_Fantasy_Versus

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Hyper Inferno posted:

What's the default stick layout? How much of a penalty is there using the special button? I know that there's some advantages for using it with charge characters, being crossup proof, or being able to really easily do standing grab super with Ladiva but I haven't seen any numbers on how much longer you're locked out of the move if you use the button as opposed to the motion.

I don't remember what's default, but I use:

L M H

Bl Sp U

Special shortcut can be handy for stuff like DPing easily out of a blockstring or tick throwing with a command throw.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I use:

L M H
U B S

I think this may be the best setup on stick. You can OS dodge throw by plinking B into LM very easily. You can also hit block easily with your thumb. HS is good for instant EX DPs.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Arzachel posted:

Some have longer recovery iirc

This is all Twitter information so

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Port looks good so far. Graphics options:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boogalo posted:

Here is me not realizing this was getting a PC release.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I said come in! posted:

Here is me not realizing this was getting a PC release.

It hit steam today with all of a 2 week notice. This release schedule has been dumb. Crossplay=No

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Are the load times better?

This game is a lot of fun, but dang the load times are terrible.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Very much thinking about sticking the spare SSD in the PS4 Pro again to see if it helps

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Are the load times better?

This game is a lot of fun, but dang the load times are terrible.

Load screen into training more was 2 seconds. In training mode, changing both characters, the stage, and music was a 5 second load.

PC load times are barely noticeable on SSD

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The real benchmark we need is RPG mode, which has the most egregious loadtimes on console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Load screen into training more was 2 seconds. In training mode, changing both characters, the stage, and music was a 5 second load.

PC load times are barely noticeable on SSD

Nice, I'll have to double dip at some point.

Was just thinking of T7 where, even on SSD, it's still got terrible load times.