Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GranBlue Fantasy Versus is the newest Arc System Works fighter, the game devs that created Guilty Gear, and BlazBlue. The game is out now in the Asian region, and will be available in North America on March 3rd for PlayStation 4. You can buy it now though PSN Hong Kong where the game has a full English option. I purchased the $100 PSN HK card through Play-Asia and used that to have the exact amount necessary for the Digital Deluxe version that comes with Character Pass 1 and the soundtrack.

Right now Granblue is only on PlayStation 4, but ArcSystem Works is good about porting their games to other platforms, I think pretty much all of their games from this current gen are on PC? So at the very least we'll see that. They've talked about wanting to bring this to Switch, but from what they've said, they won't really happen due to the level of detail and graphic fidelity of the game. It's a fully 3d cel-shaded fighter that really pushes the PS4 as is.

GranBlue Versus presents itself as a very simple fighting game that has style over substance. All of the combos are simple 1 or 2 button presses, but it's knowing when to use the right type of combo one after the other, and having good timing with blocking in competitive play that will set players apart. This game will be one of the top premier fighters at Evo 2020, and SonicFox is practicing on this title and has currently made it their main fighting game. So I think there is a lot of promise here for a very competitive fighting scene. On top of that it is just straight up one of the prettiest fighting games ever, at least until the new Guilty Gear releases. The animation has completely blown me away. It is all in-game graphics using the latest generation Unreal Engine, and it runs incredibly well on the PS4 Hardware. Arc System Works also intends to support this game for at least 2 years, with two character passes planned, and a bunch of additional content not yet announced.

The big standout mode for this game is RPG Mode, where you unlock fighters, level them up, level up weapons, and grind out fights. You play by yourself, with an AI partner, or co-op with a friend. You can also set the AI to play for you. This feels like a mix of the storymode, and RPG mode from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, but a evolution of both of those modes and then combining them into one. There is also your typical arcade mode, a VS. mode that is against either the CPU or friend, quick match making for online competitive, and 64 player online lobbies that are a arcade room where you challenge avatars controller by real people, and can socialize and chat.

I will actually admit the game right now feels a bit barebones. You'll be playing RPG mode quite a bit, along with against a friend on the couch, or jumping into online mode. If you're looking for a very strong single player game, I really don't think its there, but outside of NetherRealm fighting games, it almost never is. I am really hoping GranBlue Versus will have strong showing at Evo 2020. I think the graphics, characters, and soundtrack will be enough to gain a lot of attention. The charm of the presentation is great and what originally drew me to this title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Game feels a bit rough around the edges, the loading times in rpg mode are too long and frequent and it's weirdly isolated from the rest of the game besides weapon skins.

Being bad at fighters is the exact reason to play them

Agree with you on the load times, especially during the menus. But yeah, bad at fighters is actually a good reason to play them, I think the skill ceiling to get proficient at them is not that high usually. GranBlue as well throws you a helping hand with a handicap option, and having the combos displayed on the screen. :v: It's made to be pretty accessible at a casual level by all of the combos having one or two button presses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish the AI controlled option for your fighter in RPG mode, wasn't so terrible. I don't understand how Arc System messed this up because it was perfect in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished the RPG mode, it is pretty short! I hope this gets more gameplay modes added eventually. I would really like the unlimited RPG mode from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is out now in the United States!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think a new character got added too for those with the season pass? I havent had a chance to fire up the game in a bit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boogalo posted:

Port looks good so far. Graphics options:

Here is me not realizing this was getting a PC release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh sup, long time no posting in this thread, but I just discovered there is a character pass 2 available now. I purchased it through Hong Kong PSN because that is where I originally got GranBlue Fantasy Versus. This game is still good and continues to get better with each update and DLC character.