Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

my kid likes teen titans go, which apparently the Internet hates because it's not as good as the og teen titans, but it's pretty cute and there are some fun episodes. like the one we watched today was about how taxes pay for stuff and ended with them stringing up the "corporate fat cats" like a pinata and beating the tax money out of them
My kid got hella into Teen Titans, and I'd never seen it before. It's pretty funny!

HootTheOwl posted:

You're av suggests steamed
Funny you mention this, my kid is currently obsessed with steamed hams. She asked me to pick the thumbnail when she saw it pop up on my youtube, so I figured sure why not. It's a cartoon, which she'll enjoy, but it's also two adults having what I imagined must be a very boring conversation to a 4yo, so she'd probably get bored quick. But nope, she loving loved it. If I gave her free reign of youtube she would probably watch an hour or more of steamed hams variations in a row. Her current favorites that she likes to bounce back and forth between are lego steamed hams, original version, and steamed hams reenacted with toys. She can basically recite from memory the "at this time of year" bit, as well as most of the rest of it in chunks.

I was apprehensive at first, and ready to pull the plug (as I am with any fixation she begins to develop that I sense might be unhealthy or somehow affect her development), but this particular fixation has turned out to be very beneficial. While she's been getting more verbal over time, she's still extremely limited in that you can get, at most, up to two back-and-forths in any given conversation. One question, and maybe one follow-up if you're lucky and she's paying attention and she understands the question. The questions have to be simple and straightforward and have basically no clauses or parentheticals, or she gets lost. We've tried tea party type social games, but she gets bored of those really fast and starts looking for ways to make it fun for her (usually by knocking things over and running around). Also, if you ask her a question and she feels pressured by it for whatever reason, or even no reason, she'll just completely shut down.

But this has all been improving substantially since steamed hams (lol). She'll wander up to me and throw out a line from one of the characters, and I'll take the other character, and we'll do the bit together, sometimes swapping roles, sometimes replacing Skinner/Superintendent with Dad/[Kidname]. Since we've started that she's been getting noticeably more attentive and responsive, and she's been trying much harder to express thoughts that she doesn't have words for yet. It's been a relief, because that part of her development was weighing on my mind daily.

She's also gotten much better at pretend play, especially with toys. I've always tried to get her into some kind of pretend scenario with her toys, taking one and being like "I'm so and so, I want such and such, or am looking for so and so etc etc" but she basically never caught on, or didn't care (could honestly be either and I suspect it's more the latter). But since steamed hams (particularly the toy version) it's like something's clicked for her and now she does that kind of play just fine.

Who knew steamed hams could have therapeutic value?

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol my kid around that same age went through a sugarposting phase, thank you to SA's own juiceone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvkhVqWHR7k

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Does the show Trash Truck take place in the real world and the Trash Truck, Walter, and Donny characters are Hank's imaginary friends or is this some absurd world where Trash Truck, Walter, and Donny are real?

I always assumed they were real. That show is cute and it's unfortunate that the trash truck phase in our family was very brief. Currently the big craze here is the sonic adventure show from the 90's and those youtube brain breaks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lol my kid around that same age went through a sugarposting phase, thank you to SA's own juiceone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvkhVqWHR7k

haha nice, I haven't seen these, they're great. I'll introduce the kid to these at some point (assuming she doesn't discover them on her own)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

External Organs posted:

Quote this if you had a tea party this morning

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
kids love the Simpsons, I was my daughter's age when I started to watch it (maybe not an endorsement), and she has episodes she will insist I turn on if I go to watch some today

the circle of comedy life

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my younger son watches the Treehouse Of Horror with the evil twin Bart so goddamn much. not sure what that's about.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my younger son watches the Treehouse Of Horror with the evil twin Bart so goddamn much. not sure what that's about.

does he like raw fish?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we had my son's 10th birthday party at an arcade south of Seattle and it was the best goddamn birthday party. every machine on free play and all the machines worked (even the dozen plus pinball machines).

one kid showed up in a custom denim vest that he cut at the bottom so that it looked exactly like Nelson Muntz' jacket. fuckin owns.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

we had my son's 10th birthday party at an arcade south of Seattle and it was the best goddamn birthday party. every machine on free play and all the machines worked (even the dozen plus pinball machines).

one kid showed up in a custom denim vest that he cut at the bottom so that it looked exactly like Nelson Muntz' jacket. fuckin owns.

what arcade does this??

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

waterland arcade in Des Moines

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

our local retro arcade fronts as a video rental store and has a replica 80s-90s basement just beyond. you can sit on an old brown couch and play duck hunt on the nes.

the couch was even broken last time we went so you werent allowed to sit on it - just like at your friend's house

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Mar 25, 2024

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So yesterday I was putting my older to sleep, with a tony on.

A song he likes came up and he was singing/mouthing it, partially asleep.

Since I was still soothing him I said "oh this is a noce song." Then he said "Yes. It's like you."

And the floodgates have opened. I havent stopped crying randomly since yesterday. drat man. Like I know I need more sleep but also... drat. I'm going to buy myself a gold medal.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I put that crayon drawing of me up on the wall in my office and keep looking at it a lot

Parenting is tough but it really does pay off

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

my kid likes teen titans go, which apparently the Internet hates because it's not as good as the og teen titans, but it's pretty cute and there are some fun episodes. like the one we watched today was about how taxes pay for stuff and ended with them stringing up the "corporate fat cats" like a pinata and beating the tax money out of them

Yeah, same. I remember the OG one, but this new one is cute too.

loquacius posted:

Yeah I put that crayon drawing of me up on the wall in my office and keep looking at it a lot

Yo, I gotta do that. Fuckin flex

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I love weird new toddler language as they pick things up.

My daughter, screaming and crying while we put her shoes on this morning:

FOR REAL?? FOR REAL??
:qqsay:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this morning i was driving my son to daycare, the following conversation occurred

daddy i have to tell you something
what is it?
im not the luckiest kid in the world
you aren't? what does that mean?
i dont know

alright man!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

External Organs posted:

FOR REAL?? FOR REAL??

My daughter picked up "too bad so sad" at preschool and has decided it is an automatic argument-winner

like, she wants to blow bubbles but we're out of bubble solution. "Too bad so sad, we're blowing bubbles."

At some point pre-preschool she tried doing the same thing with "if you say so" but I countered with "I DO say so" and she had no response whatsoever. Just absolutely loving owned.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

loquacius posted:

At some point pre-preschool she tried doing the same thing with "if you say so" but I countered with "I DO say so" and she had no response whatsoever. Just absolutely loving owned.

Lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

External Organs posted:

FOR REAL?? FOR REAL??

drat she skipped straight ahead to teenager

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Six year old is now mainly interested in the effects of Pokemon moves and the type effectiveness chart. This accounts for most of our conversations. Made more fun by him not speaking English, so most of the moves are kinda hard to guess because he reads them like Danish words. Also, while I am a huge nerd, I don't remember every single move and type combination.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hope you're ready to learn them all!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hope you're ready to learn them all!

and what regions they come from, their evolutions, if legendary or not, etc

I bought some thick pokemon encyclopedia a few years ago and it keeps on paying off . it’s not up to date but it’s good enough.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid doesn't know what pokemon is yet and I'm going to keep that knowledge from her as long as possible. I have been shoving zoobooks-type things in front of her at every opportunity so she gets interested in real life pokemon aka animals.

I know I'm just delaying the inevitable but still

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My wife calls our daughter "her lil Pikachu" and sometimes I get the intrusive thought that "this is appropriation"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

sonatinas posted:

and what regions they come from, their evolutions, if legendary or not, etc

I bought some thick pokemon encyclopedia a few years ago and it keeps on paying off . it’s not up to date but it’s good enough.

we have multiple printed Pokédex artifacts in our house and they're all organized differently and in varying states of currency. my kids pore over those things and they don't even play the games.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Vox Nihili posted:

drat she skipped straight ahead to teenager

I'm not ready for that. Stay cute for a while longer, please.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Around here all the arcades are trying to make their money on food and ~the experience~ instead of actual coins. Except one where every machine was etrofitted for nickles.

e:im late and tired, sorry

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

this place wasn't exactly cheap or even close by, but it was his 10th birthday party and he's never really had an actual party anyway.

we just brought doughnuts and coffee and had general snacks for anyone who needed some calories. two hours then everyone goes home and it's not a huge mess at my house. hell yeah.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

we’re traveling right now with our 16 month old to visit my brother in Japan and his 3 kids (9, 7, 4) and it is loving bananas. they have an unhappy relationship so we keep getting pulled in as referees for their little stupid fights - meanwhile they do like 1 meal a day with the kids and then just go go go go from meltdown to meltdown until midnight and then restart around 11 the next day. We’re in the car with em and there’s usually 3 tvs running at max volume and a fight and the radio.

Our little guy with his fixed routines and bedtimes and quiet times and everything is surprisingly taking it in stride but definitely melts down by the end of the night every day.

I am absolutely losing my mind though and I’m getting the snip when I get home lol.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Our kids play "Prodigy" which is an educational math game that shamelessly unapologeticaly rips off Pokemon. The main idea is that when your little wizard wants to order a creature to maul something the kid has to answer a math question. It's very in your face about getting a subscription though so don't really recommend it. It might also just be a gateway to Pokemon, but maybe could be a Pokemon-methadone for kids already hooked?

I am now at peace with Minecraft. Minecraft is wholesome compared to the free online browser games my older kid somehow found out about during computer time at school. I'm currently blocking large sections of the internet on the home network and just act baffled when poki.com doesn't load. Also youtube.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nocturtle posted:

Our kids play "Prodigy" which is an educational math game that shamelessly unapologeticaly rips off Pokemon. The main idea is that when your little wizard wants to order a creature to maul something the kid has to answer a math question. It's very in your face about getting a subscription though so don't really recommend it. It might also just be a gateway to Pokemon, but maybe could be a Pokemon-methadone for kids already hooked?

I am now at peace with Minecraft. Minecraft is wholesome compared to the free online browser games my older kid somehow found out about during computer time at school. I'm currently blocking large sections of the internet on the home network and just act baffled when poki.com doesn't load. Also youtube.

yeah prodigy is one of the games pushed by my kid's online portal thing and it's...it's okay, I guess, but not great.

Minecraft is totally fine, got it for the switch and they just play it all the time in creative mode or not and build giant stuff and take guides out from the library and built bigger stuff

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nocturtle posted:

my kid loves prodigy. however in my opinion the math one is like a jrpg and English one is animal crossing.

yeah Minecraft is loving quaint compared to everything else. the neighbor kids were talking about all their poo poo I don’t let my kid do.

I mentioned to their parents how I restrict my kid and they were like”that’s so good how do you do that” or” I wish we could change” or” I wish we had those rules”

and then I’m at my kids karate class and I’m watching , paying attention while parents are checked the gently caress out while their brood is being raised on phones…

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

it really does, it's really hard to overstate how much they help to highlight the little things, like a doodle. I've got a bunch of my daughter's art taped inside the cabinets of my lab bench lol

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

sonatinas posted:

and then I’m at my kids karate class and I’m watching , paying attention while parents are checked the gently caress out while their brood is being raised on phones…

Lookit this helicopter parent who actually goes to karate classes, what kind of lessons in self reliance is your kid gonna learn if they know you're right there. They need to be able to take on opponents when no one is around to help!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Roblox is powerful. Kid I tutored was running AutoHotkey so he could grind stats on his laptop while he was in School From Home and at dinner. I looked into some of the discords and more proprietary codebase website and they are RIFE with financial predators and sexual predators. Absolutely terrifying environment to allow a kid into.

But, he knew computer. He understood computer very well. He could also recite all the One Piece fruit and the powers they granted and every JoJo's character and their Stand. So... I think he'll end up alright.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, never let your kid touch a Roblox in their life.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

sonatinas posted:

I can't wait to put my kid into martial arts so he can learn to go someplace and listen to an adult for an hour. That's a valuable skill.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KirbyKhan posted:

But, he knew computer. He understood computer very well. He could also recite all the One Piece fruit and the powers they granted and every JoJo's character and their Stand. So... I think he'll end up alright.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, never let your kid touch a Roblox in their life.

:agreed:

if the cost is a little less computer knowledge, it's worth it. failure to heed warnings like this in the 90s-00s is how yahoo chat and the games RP channels to have a decade of unmitigated predator poo poo.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Spent a lot of time this morning between the hours of 4:30 and daycare dropoff at 8:15 contemplating the duality of parenting.

Specifically, how I can be so incredibly tired and bored killing time with this 1.5 year old in the tortuous pre-dawn hours and also simultaneously amused and delighted by every little thing she does and says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

had a 10th birthday party for my kid. got him a Kindle paperwhite.

one of his friends gave him a semiautomatic nerf rifle and I cannot understand wtf his parents were thinking. it's a gigantic gun that breaks down into three pieces like im training an assassin or some poo poo.