Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

had a 10th birthday party for my kid. got him a Kindle paperwhite.

one of his friends gave him a semiautomatic nerf rifle and I cannot understand wtf his parents were thinking. it's a gigantic gun that breaks down into three pieces like im training an assassin or some poo poo.

I feel like I loved super soakers at that age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Our kids play "Prodigy" which is an educational math game that shamelessly unapologeticaly rips off Pokemon. The main idea is that when your little wizard wants to order a creature to maul something the kid has to answer a math question. It's very in your face about getting a subscription though so don't really recommend it. It might also just be a gateway to Pokemon, but maybe could be a Pokemon-methadone for kids already hooked?

I am now at peace with Minecraft. Minecraft is wholesome compared to the free online browser games my older kid somehow found out about during computer time at school. I'm currently blocking large sections of the internet on the home network and just act baffled when poki.com doesn't load. Also youtube.

Minecraft feels pretty good, although I haven't introduced it yet to my kid. But the actual Pokémon game (Scarlet/Violet) is a lot better than you'd think, at least in terms of not being mind poison and gambling and stuff. It's skill based (but extremely easy), the grinding is pretty mild and the story is okay with a helping of anime.
I have heard about Pokémon cards from other parents, and those feel like the worst gatcha poo poo, especially since the game is pretty bad and also no one even plays it. My kid luckily hasn't figured out that he might collect them.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
we have like the battle academy pokemon card game and the rule in our house if you got to play me in it and if you want new cards we got to play.

the box remains unopened after a few games months later.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

External Organs posted:

I feel like I loved super soakers at that age

when I saw the box that's what I thought it was but this looks like a counter strike model.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

one of his friends gave him a semiautomatic nerf rifle and I cannot understand wtf his parents were thinking. it's a gigantic gun that breaks down into three pieces like im training an assassin or some poo poo.

drat congrats on the fun nerf gun, he's gonna use it to blast the poo poo out of that kindle lol

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my daughter likes Pokemon cards but only so she can look at the artwork, and hell, same

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My oldest is super into Pokemon cards and goes to Pokemon league every Sunday. I built a few decks that are fairly balanced with each other from his immense card library and it's pretty fun to do an impromptu family tournament from time to time.

The game is ok, but the really fun thing is just getting into whatever the kid is into so that they want to talk to you about it and you can slip in life lessons or math lessons or just nerd out together.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

I can't wait to put my kid into martial arts so he can learn to go someplace and listen to an adult for an hour. That's a valuable skill.

Yeah our 3yo just started Taekwondo, it's just good for them to

- Do something physical
- In groups
- w/o me (as much asI have to provide encouragement and sometimes jump in and kickand move when he wants to give up).

But boy, it's amusing when they all stay in a row or sit or w/e and and he decides to regale them with a rousing rendition of "the wheels on the bus".

Vvvv that is an excellent idea!

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Mar 26, 2024

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I did martial arts with my kid for something physical and he was kinda meh about it. Was a bit of a chore to get him excited about going to class.

And then I put him and his sister in a rock climbing class. It wasn't really a "kids activity" on my radar, but both my kids really love it and it's much more of a workout than standing in a row doing kicks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Are you not training an assassin?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

ikanreed posted:

Are you not training an assassin?

my daughter alluded to wanting to be one. like what is going on in that little brain.

she was telling me we have to learn how to ambush the ambush. gonna have to channel this energy into something good…

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

you can slip in life lessons or math lessons

This juxtaposition is very funny to me. Also extremely true, you gotta get whatever in you can. The importance of friendship or grounding electricity, both are equally important.

Toddler finally got on his four wheel kick bike outside yesterday, and managed to fall forwards and faceplant on the tiles. He looks horrible, but otherwise he's unaffected. His brother was always too careful for that stuff, so I'm gonna adjust to normal levels of kid getting hurt now I guess.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i just got suckered into buying 80 dollar light up toddler shoes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm jealous. Take that to heart

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Let that jealousy nourish you.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Ohhh I've got that one! Cool poo poo

I mean. My son. My son has got that one

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Due to sleep deprivation, I initially missed the word "nerf". And then I figured that might actually happen sometimes...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Welp, we're at a crossroads with the Kindergartener. She's been identifed as gifted and invited to participate in our district's highly gifted program, which is fulltime, bussed, and by all accounts very good. However, she's currently attending a dual-language Spanish immersion school that is very good school but gets very low marks because half the kids are learning English for the first time. It is also one of the most diverse schools in our very white state. The kid isn't bored yet, because she's in kindergarten, but I'm sure it's going to come sooner rather than later.

Our options are:
1. Accept the highly gifted placement. The pros are obviously that she'll be challenged, the cons are the loss of Spanish immersion and a more diverse (intellectually, if nothing else) friend group.
2. Do a one day a week pull out program which offers some gifted services. The pros are that it's some bit of challenge and it keeps her in her current school with her current class. The cons are that it's less challenging
3. Skip her up a grade. Pros are a more immediate, keeping her near her friends (the grades will share recesses throughout elementary school) and keeping her in Spanish. The cons are having to do a new immediate peer group, but she's also pretty young, very malleable, and very social)
4. Do nothing, which is always an option.

The program is K-6 and after that they're released back to their geographically assigned junior high.

I have a hard time talking to peer parents about this because I don't want it to come off as bragging.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

honestly how the gently caress do you classify someone in kindergarten as "gifted"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nah, you good. Id keep kid at immersion Spanish school. The one-day pullout seems like a cool thing to try. Fully uprooting and going to fancy magnet schools didn't go well for my peers who did back in the mid 2000s they like consolidated it with the alternative (for bad kids) school and I stopped hearing from both ol dude who went to fancy school and ol girl who went to bad school after that. Skipping grade is always a losing proposition, you willingly forgo a whole year of low-cost and public-subsidized activity and tutoring, and for what, the incentives never made sense to me.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RBC posted:

honestly how the gently caress do you classify someone in kindergarten as "gifted"

It's gonna be a wide gap between kids who got fancy high quality childcare and kids who didn't. S Korea was a testbed for offloading the cost of competitive education to the parent.

Some kids come into kindergarten already knowing the alphabet and how to sound out words, some kids come into kindergarten without being potty trained and not enough muscle development to hold a crayon. poo poo sux

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gentlemen, there is a Kindergarten Gap

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

It's gonna be a wide gap between kids who got fancy high quality childcare and kids who didn't. S Korea was a testbed for offloading the cost of competitive education to the parent.

Some kids come into kindergarten already knowing the alphabet and how to sound out words, some kids come into kindergarten without being potty trained and not enough muscle development to hold a crayon. poo poo sux

That's the point of kindergarten, everyone learns from one another. I just don't see how you could seriously conclude a 4 year old is some kind of prodigy because they don't poo poo their pants.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'd do the one-day thing if it were my kid. Nice middle of the road option.

I was in a gifted program in elementary school and all it did was solidify my poor study habits. Honestly not sure what the pot of gold was at the end of the rainbow unless there's magnet high schools or something? Only advantage I ever saw to being advanced in schools was qualifying for AP classes to save some money on general education stuff in college.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

RBC posted:

Our district uses the Weschsler Intelligence Scale for Children with which I have no personal experience. I know that for our kid, reading hooked up really fast and I presume most of the things they test for flow from that. She's otherwise pretty much a normal kid.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chad Sexington posted:

I'd do the one-day thing if it were my kid. Nice middle of the road option.

I was in a gifted program in elementary school and all it did was solidify my poor study habits. Honestly not sure what the pot of gold was at the end of the rainbow unless there's magnet high schools or something? Only advantage I ever saw to being advanced in schools was qualifying for AP classes to save some money on general education stuff in college.

ya 100% what happened to me. The advanced reading instruction of my gifted program was good but that was when they used phonics instead of whatever batshit vibes-based poo poo they do now.

do the one-day thing as a trial but IMO immersion is... infinitely more valuable than a traditional "gifted" program

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RBC posted:

so when most of us were kids the testing for G&T was much more visual spatial based and literature on g&t kids differed pretty substantially from what it does now.

anyway there’s a lot of overlap with the high functioning end of the autism spectrum and they often have parents or siblings with diagnoses. so there’s that whole thing going on.

then there is the other group the rich kid prepped by parents for the testing to get better classes and and parent desired label.

different G&T programs are often geared towards one group or the other and the autism adjacent side of it has been getting pushed out over time with DSM IV and DSM V.

so it really really depends on where one lives and how “gifted” is defined by the district or state.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Welp, we're at a crossroads with the Kindergartener. She's been identifed as gifted and invited to participate in our district's highly gifted program, which is fulltime, bussed, and by all accounts very good. However, she's currently attending a dual-language Spanish immersion school that is very good school but gets very low marks because half the kids are learning English for the first time. It is also one of the most diverse schools in our very white state. The kid isn't bored yet, because she's in kindergarten, but I'm sure it's going to come sooner rather than later.

Our options are:
1. Accept the highly gifted placement. The pros are obviously that she'll be challenged, the cons are the loss of Spanish immersion and a more diverse (intellectually, if nothing else) friend group.
2. Do a one day a week pull out program which offers some gifted services. The pros are that it's some bit of challenge and it keeps her in her current school with her current class. The cons are that it's less challenging
3. Skip her up a grade. Pros are a more immediate, keeping her near her friends (the grades will share recesses throughout elementary school) and keeping her in Spanish. The cons are having to do a new immediate peer group, but she's also pretty young, very malleable, and very social)

The program is K-6 and after that they're released back to their geographically assigned junior high.

I have a hard time talking to peer parents about this because I don't want it to come off as bragging.
It sounds like you have a lot of good options. Also ultimately this is Kindergarten and the instruction they will receive at a "gifted" program will likely not be substantially different than a standard school. It probably does not matter so much what you choose, although immersion is extremely valuable at that age. As others have mentioned the one-day option might be a good way to test the waters.

We put our kids into the public school "gifted" program and it is fine. The real benefit of the program is that it's relatively well resourced and has smaller class sizes compared to their old school. IMO class size is far more important than whether they're following a gifted vs standard curriculum. Is there any difference in that regard?

RBC posted:

It is bullshit. Classifying anyone as "gifted" is already bullshit, but thinking it can be done with any accuracy at the kindergarten level is ridiculous. Most likely the designation is just a correlate for wealthier parents.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

imo gifted classes are just to get those kids out of normal classes so the teacher can focus on the rest of the class. they won't get your kid any smarter.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s extremely regional. they range from that to people move internationally to send their kids. when I was younger I didn’t realize that they were not all like the program I had been through. it’s honestly hosed up.

what I had was cohort, project based, interest driven, with insanely motivated teachers. in middle school social studies one teacher would do world mythology. She would dress as the characters, and go through the stories in first person, Gilgamesh, Hercules, Hector, etc. Another class we simulated French class struggles leading up to the revolution and then roll played the terror. later we re-enacted the Nuremberg trials. This was a public school too.

then I started asking about it in a thread a couple years ago to find out most programs are like a useless half hour pull out.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s extremely regional. they range from that to people move internationally to send their kids. when I was younger I didn’t realize that they were not all like the program I had been through. it’s honestly hosed up.

what I had was cohort, project based, interest driven, with insanely motivated teachers. in middle school social studies one teacher would do world mythology. She would dress as the characters, and go through the stories in first person, Gilgamesh, Hercules, Hector, etc. Another class we simulated French class struggles leading up to the revolution and then roll played the terror. later we re-enacted the Nuremberg trials. This was a public school too.

then I started asking about it in a thread a couple years ago to find out most programs are like a useless half hour pull out.

yeah but you're still dumb as the rest of us so it didn't do poo poo. qed

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Our options are:

Do the one day program at least.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
there's like a 50/50 chance our kid got a mild case of Hand, foot, and mouth disease at this wretched daycare, holy poo poo EVERY DAY THERE IS A NEW AILMENT IN MY HOME

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Vox Nihili posted:

there's like a 50/50 chance our kid got a mild case of Hand, foot, and mouth disease at this wretched daycare, holy poo poo EVERY DAY THERE IS A NEW AILMENT IN MY HOME

lol lmao

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vox Nihili posted:

ours got hfm...twice...gave it to us both times

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my daughter is 2 and a quarter and she isn't really interested in playing with other kids or interacting with them. she isn't mean or rude to most kids aside from the normal toddler thing of grabbing stuff another kid might be playing with and, she gets excited when older kids show up at the playground and follows them around giggling but I don't know at what point she "should" be into playing with other kids. she does the parallel play thing well enough. I know I shouldn't worry about it and every kid develops at their own pace, but I'm just curious about it.

she isn't in daycare so I realize she isn't getting that much social contact with other kids outside playground/playgroup/swimming that we attend. she's perfectly social with adults.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dreylad posted:

my daughter is 2 and a quarter and she isn't really interested in playing with other kids or interacting with them. she isn't mean or rude to most kids aside from the normal toddler thing of grabbing stuff another kid might be playing with and, she gets excited when older kids show up at the playground and follows them around giggling but I don't know at what point she "should" be into playing with other kids. she does the parallel play thing well enough. I know I shouldn't worry about it and every kid develops at their own pace, but I'm just curious about it.

she isn't in daycare so I realize she isn't getting that much social contact with other kids outside playground/playgroup/swimming that we attend. she's perfectly social with adults.

3 is the "average" for when kids start playing with each other and not just near each other

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

yeah but you're still dumb as the rest of us so it didn't do poo poo. qed

But yeah that’s the big lol of the whole thing is that out comes in general don’t really change with these programs even the good ones. But I think that’s the wrong way to think about it. There are two reasons for this. The out comes of the rich kids tutored in are going to be rich kid outcomes, those don’t change. The autism adjacent kids, most of those kids are 2E of some flavor. Their outcomes are being changed from disability outcomes so it ends up hidden.

so to goto that school we had an extremely long bus ride. they congregated the cohort at the county level. 1-3 hours on a bus each day depending on where one lived. mix of grades 2-12 on the bus, buses get gross with kids on them for that long. So collectively we decided to clean the bus. We brought in buckets, soap, window cleaners, rags, disinfectant garbage bags etc and proceeded to clean. The driver was quite upset by all this, and forbade any further cleaning. The reaction to this by some of the kids was to begin to dissemble the bus and for the remainder of us it was to not say a goddamn word about the disassembly. Some of the kids started removing bolts from the bench seats and snipping rivets where the flooring and wheel guards were attached. after about a week, last kid for the day gets off and the whole back half of the bus the bench seats are detached and the wheel covers are pulled off.

The real goal of these programs should be to keep the 2E kids that have actual neurological differences from deciding to disassemble the bus. but lol capitalism.

When they’re successful at that it has repercussions that aren’t immediately obvious don’t show up in metrics but are still quite consequential. so it’s very funny that we utterly fail at it most of the time.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

my kid's 3 1/2 and even though she has friends she likes and talks about it's still mostly 'they chase each other around, sometimes, and then get mad when the other one isn't always on the same wavelength"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Vox Nihili posted:

it's fine, everyone one of them is mild

you gotta live your life