Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Pick your fighter:
Phone alert: Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Phone alert: your daughter has started a nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well, it finally happened: I found out my 3-year-old daughter is watching Tom & Jerry at her grandma's house and I had the thought "that's so violent though"

there goes the last bit of coolness I might have possessed

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My youngest son saw the chimpanzees at the zoo and promptly started yelling "King Kong! King Kong! King Kong!"

Apr 3, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Apr 3, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Glancing at the TV and Postman Pat is in blackface

I'm sure there's a good reason for it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Welp, we're at a crossroads with the Kindergartener.

So we ended up keeping the kid in Spanish immersion with the single day pullout program and possibly bumping her up a grade (or two!!) for reading and math next year, which seemed like the best choice.

I just wanted to say thank you to all the goons who gave advice. You were very thoughtful and way better than the weirdos my wife solicited on Reddit who had very detailed theories about GATE being a ticket to upper class nobility.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Post the thread omg I gotta read that poo poo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

So we ended up keeping the kid in Spanish immersion with the single day pullout program and possibly bumping her up a grade (or two!!) for reading and math next year, which seemed like the best choice.

I just wanted to say thank you to all the goons who gave advice. You were very thoughtful and way better than the weirdos my wife solicited on Reddit who had very detailed theories about GATE being a ticket to upper class nobility.

I've checked reddit parenting subs a few times when I was desperate for trying to get the baby to sleep in the crib and I don't think people there can have normal opinions about parenting.

I know it's past the point of needing input but i did immersion as a kid and I think I really benefitted from it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dreylad posted:

I've checked reddit parenting subs a few times when I was desperate for trying to get the baby to sleep in the crib and I don't think people there can have normal opinions about parenting.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Post the thread omg I gotta read that poo poo

She deleted it out of embarrassment before telling me about it. :shobon:

Dreylad posted:

I know it's past the point of needing input but i did immersion as a kid and I think I really benefitted from it.

She's still gonna do the single day pull out. It was a situation where there were no bad options. We toured the full time program and literally everyone we talked to said "it's a great program and you should absolutely come...unless you're already in a dual language program then you have a tough choice."

At the end of the day my wife and I can supplement math, English and science out of school but Spanish fluency is a gift we can't give.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Apr 6, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hooray!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Like my man you have answered my question but not in the way you think:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yikes lol

someone's spending their final years completely cut off from their kids

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

https://twitter.com/realgirl_fieri/status/1776560629593030879

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

when my older boy was young, if we were driving and the sun set while we were out he’d lose his poo poo and would scream continuously.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Spent about 10 hours getting home from vacation today, only about ~ 20 mins of nonstop tantrum started about 5 minutes from home. Overall, pretty successful imo

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It was a little disheartening to watch my son lose at mario kart to all his friends. The good news is that he didn't seem to really care. To be fair, I am not a gamer and the only system he has is an old wii that he plays smash bros brawl on, so he didn't know how the controller worked. He can beat his friends at smash bros at least. We're moving up the switch purchase to after the school year ends so he's ready for first grade.

It was a birthday party with a bouncy castle and it was hard to watch the little guy roughhousing with his friends because he's not as tough as they are. This is hard!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I do this and it works great. bathtime etc. as normal, then right into the car and go

Bar Ran Dun posted:

when my older boy was young, if we were driving and the sun set while we were out he’d lose his poo poo and would scream continuously.

the first real total meltdown I remember for my oldest kid was one day he noticed he could see the moon but it was still daytime

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Like my man you have answered my question but not in the way you think:

lol

congrats on the cool developments

we had our first tooth fairy visit yesterday which went well, and tomorrow is a classmate's birthday party. I'm going to try and stay out of sight, I want her to spread her wings and be more independent. Trying to explain to her the other day that one day she will be begging for mom and dad to give her space really got me, because she so sweetly explained that she wants mom and dad always to hang out with her.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Greg Legg posted:

It was a little disheartening to watch my son lose at mario kart to all his friends. The good news is that he didn't seem to really care. To be fair, I am not a gamer and the only system he has is an old wii that he plays smash bros brawl on, so he didn't know how the controller worked. He can beat his friends at smash bros at least. We're moving up the switch purchase to after the school year ends so he's ready for first grade.

It was a birthday party with a bouncy castle and it was hard to watch the little guy roughhousing with his friends because he's not as tough as they are. This is hard!

he'll get better if he practices. my kid was terrible at games for a long time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Another undesirable side effect of reading the 4 year old Hamlet has cropped up.

I told him we were having leftovers for lunch and he said "o cursed spite" instead of his usual "I don't like it"

Eh. Maybe that one's desirable.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Another undesirable side effect of reading the 4 year old Hamlet has cropped up.

I told him we were having leftovers for lunch and he said "o cursed spite" instead of his usual "I don't like it"

Yeah, that's awesome. Just keep going! I wanna hear the reactions when he has to go inside in kindergarten and he goes "now is the winter of our discontent", or "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" for when he's told he can have candy on Friday.

Just please remember to reintroduce normal conversation before he begins dating. Teenage me was very confused at an ex's house when dinner conversation was replaced with Shakespeare recitation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Kyari Pamyu Pamyu music videos are my current go-to for 14 month old daughter pacification. There's like a good hour of extremely visually stimulating of music videos here. It's very girl coded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSiE4I-tRY

Anyways Easter happened and I showed the kids this and told them that's how Easter is celebrated in Asia. Mom started getting mad saying that imagery would give them nightmares. I think she's just being racist again.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ikanreed posted:

That's awesome. Our eldest had an Enid Blyton spree when she figured she could read books by herself and she was all "crumbs!" and "bother!" for a fair while.

But 4yo Shakespeare takes the cake.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kids like caves

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

That's awesome. Our eldest had an Enid Blyton spree when she figured she could read books by herself and she was all "crumbs!" and "bother!" for a fair while.

But 4yo Shakespeare takes the cake.

There was a period I had as a kid when I was really into Monty Python and would occasionally say "bloody hell" with no trace of a British accent

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Few things are funnier to me than hearing my partner go "Don't fart on me!" from another room

Few things are funnier to the kid than farting on mama

I'm so proud

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Few things are funnier to me than hearing my partner go "Don't fart on me!" from another room

Few things are funnier to the kid than farting on mama

I'm so proud

my kid recently had a fart battle tournament during bath time and the participants were a few mermaid toys I won at an arcade, mermaid Ariel and prince eric and another set of wedding Ariel and prince Eric little mermaid toys from the 90s and some fish. the champions were the mermaid toys. it was like watching dbz frankly.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
birthday party went well, bowling alley pizza remains great

seems like five year olds just have trouble mingling, who knew. proud of how my daughter did tho, good crew of parents from class

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

hubris.height posted:

seems like five year olds just have trouble mingling,

u wot

From what I've observed in the park, 5 year olds make eye contact and then declare in unison "we're friends now" and play together until home time

That's the mingle speedrun an adult can only dream of

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A storybook anthology thing we have has the first chapter of Paddington Bear in it, and it is super British (derogatory)

Paddington repeatedly describes his country of origin as "darkest Peru"

and when they ask his name, he says he doesn't have one, "just a Peruvian name that no one can pronounce"

what the gently caress

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

loquacius posted:

A storybook anthology thing we have has the first chapter of Paddington Bear in it, and it is super British (derogatory)

and when they ask his name, he says he doesn't have one, "just a Peruvian name that no one can pronounce"

what the gently caress

very unBritish now on account of being friendly and welcoming to an undocumented migrant

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

kecske posted:

I do this and it works great. bathtime etc. as normal, then right into the car and go

I tried this once but the headlights behind us shone in his face all night and it was miserable

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Can't say the 4.5 yo cared much about the totality but the six year old was amped up

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Infant is mad at me because I woke her up from nap. Deal with it baby, I'm not waiting till you're 73 to take you to the next one.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Vishass posted:

I tried this once but the headlights behind us shone in his face all night and it was miserable

I know that my daughter will not go to sleep under anything less than complete blackout conditions.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

brugroffil posted:

Can't say the 4.5 yo cared much about the totality but the six year old was amped up

mine was pumped up until it happened then she found a huge stick to swing around and lost interest

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I made sure the six month old saw it and cast her into a volcano just to make sure the sun came back.
Mom was unhappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

what the gently caress

Paddington is incredibly racist and lovely. The latest cartoon, The Adventures of Paddington, is really trying to make up for it and it's a pretty good show for kids overall but man even the "live action" one with Peter Capaldi as Mr. Curry sucks.