Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Signing up my kid for a space camp. Little 2 week Monday - Friday day camp or something. I'm fuckin hype, can't wait to tell him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Signing up my kid for a space camp. Little 2 week Monday - Friday day camp or something. I'm fuckin hype, can't wait to tell him.

gently caress yes.

External Organs posted:

I waffled a dad connection yesterday. Met a neat little family at the playground who got along well with my four year old, but didn't exchange any kind of contact info. Dammit, we were having a nice chat while our kids were playing train robbers. Rip

Dads that pass in the park, and greet each other in passing,
Only a nod shown and small talk by the seesaw;
So on the playground of life we pass and greet one another,
Only a look and a voice, then walking again and a silence

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

day camps are ftw

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
been thinking about trying a toddler program at a forest school. 2 hours in the morning once a week. it's not going to break our budget and seems like it'd be fun to get outside on some trails

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

at a kid birthday party and the parents are tryhard in a cool way - always a story and an associated craft for the kids to do that they've designed for the party

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

at a kid birthday party and the parents are tryhard in a cool way - always a story and an associated craft for the kids to do that they've designed for the party

These people make me feel like poo poo!!!!!!!!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Honey Im Homme posted:

These people make me feel like poo poo!!!!!!!!

unipolar motor and spinning dragon, and god on cloud - it's a model of the fight between Indra and Vritra

I burned myself hot gluing a bunch of kids' models but it was cool as hell

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's really loving cool, now I'm getting ideas for playing host to my kid and her friends. She's entering kindergarten this year so it's only a matter of time until that's just a new regular part of life lol

Toddler play dates are very different from kid parties

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's really loving cool, now I'm getting ideas for playing host to my kid and her friends. She's entering kindergarten this year so it's only a matter of time until that's just a new part of life lol

couple years ago they did a scavenger hunt thing looking for pieces to fix their time traveling spaceship (small tent) since it exploded after they went back in time to dinosaur times (speaker with dinosaur sounds)

I think scavenger hunt is a good starting point of any of these sorts of things

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Highlight for 4 year old of Washington DC was riding subways.

I want to stress that he is correct and all the other cultural detritus surrounding our evil capital is passible at best.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

HootTheOwl posted:

Just because your soul is dark and your heart is sadness doesn't mean you can't wear pink in the spring.

:yeah:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Owlet is developing separation anxiety from the wife.
Which both helps with my depression because I don't want to do anything, but also fortifies it since my baby wants nothing to do with me if she thinks Mommy is in ear shot

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
When I'm comrade secretary general I am banning all songs that mention farts more than once on kid's streaming platforms

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
what about fluffies.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Any advice on making a 3yo enjoy taekwondo?

My kid doesmt want to go to activities but enjoys them when he's there.

We enrolled him in tkd (twice a week, 45 min, so chill) because in general I think it's good for him, and because my childhood sucked like if the Hoover dam was a Hoover because of adhd (among many other poo poo my kid is not/will not experience) so I want to get ahead of that. I'm projecting, I know.

But it's an increasing slog, and he spends most of the lesson singing to himself and making faces at himself in the mirror.

I also have the lovely experience of being forced to do activities for waaaaaay too long, and it becoming a contest of wills with my mom, so I am not going to do that. No screaming "you are going to do that even if it kills you!!!1!". If he keeps not liking it we'll do something else.

But... any tricks that could entice him?

So far I've tried joining in, leaving the class, talk it out with a comic book he likes which shows a bit of tkd, and my next move is to try a different branch (it's a chain).

TIA.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sounds like he'd have more fun just going to a mirror

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Dawncloack posted:

Any advice on making a 3yo enjoy taekwondo?

Why not try something else?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have zero suggestions because just yesterday I crammed my screaming seven year old into the car to make him attend soccer practice.

he's kinda the same where once he gets to where he needs to be he has a fine time but getting him to agree to do anything other than what he explicitly wants to do is a serious effort in patience and not losing my goddam mind.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
3 yrs is young for stuff like that. Might just want to layoff for another year.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Those are all good points and as I said, I am not going to force him and turn into something he dreads, I've been there.

Just, the minimum subscription was 4 months, so I gotta give it a college try.

HootTheOwl posted:

Sounds like he'd have more fun just going to a mirror

we have mirror at home.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Put the kids to bed last night and come downstairs to relax for a bit. Shortly afterwards we hear the 4yo running down the hall into our room and back again. Choose to ignore it because he likes to make something his "thing" to get a rise out of people and we figure he'll just go back to bed if he doesn't get a reaction.

Does this three more times over the next ten minutes before I decide to go upstairs and tell him has to stay in bed.

He has a deranged look on his face, runs into his room and shuts the door quickly behind himself while saying "I know how to put myself to bed!" He's physically blocking me from opening the door. Gee wonder if he's up to something.

Wait about 30 seconds and then open the door, where I find he's stolen all of Mom's makeup and brought it into his bed for some reason??? And has clearly tried to put on some lipstick lol.

It's just so weird because he's never touched her makeup before, hasn't ever really asked about it and hasn't been watching her put it on or anything lately that would have sparked his interest.

Kids are so weird and such terrible liars lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just gotta adjust expectations. At 3 years old the goal is to just listen to a non-parent adult and do the movements when instructed. If he can memorize and practice the set his instructor then he can get a cute lil belt.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’d wait until like 5-6 yrs for martial arts. my parents owned a TKD school and that’s a bit young imo unless your kid is a like a martial arts savant.

my kid’s karate school starts at 4 . mine is in the white belt class at 7 and spaces out a bit but over time it’s getting better. for kids mirrors, belt stripes, non strict drilling can make a kid wander off.

I started martial arts at 5 and my training was pretty strict with drills and such. my kid’s karate school is like a very lax environment comparatively with questionable technique. however, I’m a tough judge based off my experience and it’s the closest school.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ thanks for that

KirbyKhan posted:

Just gotta adjust expectations. At 3 years old the goal is to just listen to a non-parent adult and do the movements when instructed. If he can memorize and practice the set his instructor then he can get a cute lil belt.

This is absolutely the limit of my expectations.

Yeah we might give it some week or two but we are very ready to pull the plug and try later.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Was just brutally owned by the six year old who, when told "a'int" isn't really a word, proceeded to find it in the fuckin' dictionary including a note about pedantic shitheads like myself.

I am undone.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Owned

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You understand more why the gods kept being afraid of their own kids when you get destroyed like that

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
kids are at their best when they're dictating to authority that their time is up and their time is now

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
if my kid discovers all the kids rule movies from
the 90s my life is going to be upended.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ive been trying to teach my daughter body parts by asking her to point to e.g. her eyes, her nose or whatever. last night for a change of pace i asked her to point to daddy and she pointed to her nose lol. still learning!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
took my kid to the zoo this week for the first time. loved it, although it's interesting how she remembers more the areas we visited: cold place (polar bears, arctic wolves), savannah (the lions, cheetahs, giraffes), and the jungle (rainforest pavilion) than the animals. except the giraffes because they were cool.

probably doesn't help that the wolves, lions, and cheetahs were just laying in the grass soaking up the sun like a bunch of house cats

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

taking kids to the zoo is so much fun

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I have a membership to mine so I can just roll up whenever

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Took my daughter to the zoo for the first time this week too.

She got hyped for the colorful stuff like flamingos and Panamanian frogs but didn't give a poo poo about lions or giraffes.

She also liked the benches and rope barriers.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

me: good night buddy i love you, we're going to have a fun weekend together starting tomorrow

son: i don't want to have a fun weekend

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

well too bad bucko. eat this candy and let's go to the go kart track.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sigma grind set baby

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
what am I gonna do with all this avant garde artwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

grandparents chat:

we’ve got one set of grandparents who are old and keep promising things and then delivering 1/3rd of what they promise, leaving us in the lurch. They’re like we’ll babysit two days and then we book a hotel for a wedding and they let us know the day before they can only do 1 because babysitting is so hard and then we have to scramble to fill the gap last second.

Like, they love the idea of being grandparents but mostly because they can now have small talk to share with their other old friends.

the other grandparents we have (mine) are complete duds though and show up once a year, play a bit and then are like cool have fun peace. they don’t promise anything and we never expected anything though so for some reason it’s less frustrating?