Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Have you and your spouse both got wavy hair?

neither of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pancake rabbit posted:

neither of us!

I've reported your mutant offspring to the Inquisitor. They're doing an exterminatus. Such is the cost of maintaining mankind's purity.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Cool idea for a thread, I have two girls which is great considering the state of our hell country. After my first I was super lucky and was able to take leave for three months which was incredible and it's insane that this isn't the norm. I also had lots of random strangers who thought it was appropriate to come up and ask if I was out of work if I ever took her out during the week.

We had our second back in October and I was hoping to take more time off but my wife was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in November so that kind of hosed things up. But seriously parenthood is great and seeing my oldest grow into an actual person is amazing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So far parenting hasn't radicalized me further, but I'm hoping

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I think it's made me slightly reactionary. had an hour long conversation last night with the oldest about how homework was more important than destroying the canadian economy.

I know that's a lie, but I said it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I hardly think encouraging learning and discouraging self-destructive impulses is reactionary. It just means you're too old to wear a patch jacket.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hello cspam parents,

While I myself am a dedicated antinatalist and plan to let my trashbrain genes die with me, my best friend who I love is planning to have a child as a single mother. As a BFF/future aunt, what kind of things can I do to help her out? What kind of support would ya'll like to have had? Financially she's doing f i n e, and I think she's going to make a great mom even outside of material conditions, so please don't focus on the queer nature of her parenthood.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ikanreed posted:

So far parenting hasn't radicalized me further, but I'm hoping

I'm more radicalizsed but I've also become more cowardly. I'm the sole breadwinner for our family so whenever there's some dumb bullshit like kids in cages I don't want to join any protests in case the cops get uppity and just start murdering.

My kids gotta hurry up and grow up so I can die on the streets as god intended

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kaedric posted:

I'm more radicalizsed but I've also become more cowardly. I'm the sole breadwinner for our family so whenever there's some dumb bullshit like kids in cages I don't want to join any protests in case the cops get uppity and just start murdering.

I feel this pretty hard. I gotta be really careful because several people are relying on me directly for literally everything.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

silvergoose posted:

I feel this pretty hard. I gotta be really careful because several people are relying on me directly for literally everything.

More importantly, how do I impress upon my kid that activism and protesting are important while at the same time eschewing the more radical aspects because I gotta make that bread for her? I'd love for her to see her father always fighting for the right things, but actually doing so feels like it puts her at risk.

So I guess I need to find a workable middle ground. Perhaps just limit myself to behind the scenes support roles, and going to DSA meetings and such. But that feels like it could turn into more of a timesink than I'd like, and take me away from spending time with my daughter.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Kaedric posted:

Yeah, same. My first responsibility is to my daughter and that comes before anything else. Not about to have her in foster care because I hit a cop or whatever.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

More importantly, how do I impress upon my kid that activism and protesting are important while at the same time eschewing the more radical aspects because I gotta make that bread for her? I'd love for her to see her father always fighting for the right things, but actually doing so feels like it puts her at risk.

So I guess I need to find a workable middle ground. Perhaps just limit myself to behind the scenes support roles, and going to DSA meetings and such. But that feels like it could turn into more of a timesink than I'd like, and take me away from spending time with my daughter.

I struggle with this too. I think in general it's best to err on the side of having a life of your own within reasonable bounds. Maybe that means a bit less time with your kids, but you have an example to set and a world to live in and that's important too.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Somebody said to me once that making time for yourself is important, even if it means being less involved in activism.

The struggle against injustice isn't going anywhere and it certainly won't stop because you're pursuing other dreams. You can always come back to it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I have depression, so while I'm very rarely "sad," I don't have a lot of mental or emotional energy and my motivation is basically to do the bare minimum of going to work, taking care of my kid, cleaning the house, shopping, and that leaves basically enough left to just play a game for a couple hours before bed and/or post.

When I just had my daughter part-time it was much easier to deal with, but the load has increased substantially after getting full custody two years ago. I thought ADD and depression medication would change that, and while they've helped a bit I still can't seem to get myself off my rear end.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

T-man posted:

hello cspam parents,

While I myself am a dedicated antinatalist and plan to let my trashbrain genes die with me, my best friend who I love is planning to have a child as a single mother. As a BFF/future aunt, what kind of things can I do to help her out? What kind of support would ya'll like to have had? Financially she's doing f i n e, and I think she's going to make a great mom even outside of material conditions, so please don't focus on the queer nature of her parenthood.

for my wife, me going with her to all of the regular obgyn visits that will accumulate over the course of her pregnancy was big comfort. i don't know if your friend cares about that, but just having someone to go with her (even if you don't actually go into the exam room) might be a kindness.

immediately after the kid is born she's likely going to be in a lot of pain and not want to do anything at all, so if you're down to clean her house, do her laundry, do her dishes etc. that might be a big help. my wife and i were most grateful for people that made us pre-cooked meals (frozen lasagna or whatever) during her post-birth recovery as just having food available that neither of us had to cook ourselves was a huge blessing.

it's hard to give advice on how to help as a friend (as opposed to helping as a committed partner) because my wife and i don't have a huge social network and we didn't / don't get a lot of help from friends. it's difficult to suggest things that i myself have not experienced

Organic Lube User posted:

More importantly, how do I impress upon my kid that activism and protesting are important while at the same time eschewing the more radical aspects because I gotta make that bread for her?

you've gotta do what's right for your family first, but my wife and i have had great experiences taking our daughter to activist events that aren't explicitly likely to draw violent conflict. off the top of my head, we've taken her to women's rights marches, LGBTQ pride festivals, and other things that still promote a message of empowerment but aren't likely to become battlegrounds between the cops and anyone else.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
me: *drops waffles*

her: clumsy old dad...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hopefully the right place to ask, sooo...

What are y'all doing for college funds? I've setup a 529 (lol just in time for recession) that's about it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

MacheteZombie posted:

What are y'all doing for college funds? I've setup a 529 (lol just in time for recession) that's about it.

Same. Just set up a 529.

Voting for Bernie is probably the best plan though

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Voting for Bernie is probably the best plan though

About to head to my voting place for the primary do this very thing in fact.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm just scraping by month to month and I haven't saved anything :(

Sucks that if I end up making more money there's just going to be a whole bunch of other things like this I need to spend the difference on

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
the bad: sleep training a baby with a light-sleeping 2 year old across the hall loving sucks
the good: my son told me he's a witch and also a dragon who breathes hot fire so that's pretty :krad:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
drat, don't gently caress with this guy's kid ^

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

just another posted:

the bad: sleep training a baby with a light-sleeping 2 year old across the hall loving sucks
the good: my son told me he's a witch and also a dragon who breathes hot fire so that's pretty :krad:

Sword in the Stone?
Sleeping beauty maybe?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

ikanreed posted:

Sword in the Stone?
Sleeping beauty maybe?

Nope:

He's basically committed the words to memory from having listened to us read it to him (every day for the last five months :eng99:). Little kid brains are ridiculous.

just another has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Mar 3, 2020

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
*daughter reading my old Calvin and Hobbes book*

her: so Calvin has a crush on Susie but he's mean to her?

me: yeah pretty much

her: Calvin is tsundere

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

*daughter reading my old Calvin and Hobbes book*

her: so Calvin has a crush on Susie but he's mean to her?

me: yeah pretty much

her: Calvin is tsundere

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Honestly c&h will truly always be relevant, just like Tom Lehrer. Timeless.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been taking my kiddos to comic book stores since they were in strollers and they both read well above their levels now. I highly recommend it as a way to get kids into reading!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MacheteZombie posted:

that, plus on her birthdays & xmas sending circulating an email to all the family saying "hey if you really want to give her a meaningful gift that she won't outgrow and forget about in a matter of months, maybe drop some change in this bucket"

it doesn't get a lot of traction because grandparents want to watch her open presents and get hype about barbies or whatever, but occasionally some extended family puts a few benjamins in there

just another posted:

my daughter had awoken between 4 and 5 am every single day for the first two years of her life. around the age of three we finally got it pushed back to about 5:30. just now after turning five we've gotten her back to 6 am. good luck and don't lose hope!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i am absolutely getting cabin fever from working from home for weeks while my kid's school is closed

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Working from home with my wife and kids here kinda sucks. Like it really makes me not want to do anything for my job and instead just hang out with them all day.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

my wife and daughter are already getting on edge and they're on day 4 of quarantine. they're both fine with me individually, but somehow they've got a lot of tension between the two of them.

i'm obviously a broke-brain cspam poster but having to be inside my own house all day isn't really bothering me. i go out and run a few miles each morning just for the exercise since my gym closed, but being on quarantine in the house is fine on the main. just make sure to take breaks each day, go for a walk around the block at lunch, water your plants every morning, that kind of stuff.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hey thread, come back!

Anyone know any early homeschool resources for lefty parents? I feel like most homeschool stuff is heavily, *heavily* salted with bullshit from right wing evangelicals, so its not easy to know where to start her off that wont wind up in "...and that's why the poor deserve to suffer!" land.
My kid is 2.5 and precocious as all hell and I definitely wanna direct that energy towards good rather than evil, and the way things are shaping up we probably won't bother with any sort of physical schooling. Even if the US doesn't have a civil war, and if the pandemic passes once there's a vaccine, our schools will probably still just turn back into shooting ranges.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I hope someone is able to help you, because I'm not aware of any left-oriented homeschooling resources. If you can't find what you're looking for you could always supplement the material with library books of your choice and reading assignments. I feel like the bigger issue would be finding homeschool social groups that aren't fundies, but I'm sure they exist.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'm not sure how much you need to weight education to the left (except history and social studies, which tend towards the hagiographic for kids)

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I'm not sure how much you need to weight education to the left (except history and social studies, which tend towards the hagiographic for kids)

If my kid doesn't know the proper construction and use of a guillotine by the time she's in high school, I failed as a father.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
my centrist wife turned on The Babysitters Club for our kids and there's a dinner table scene where the mom and her boyfriend are trying to convince the daughter to go along with news of their impending marriage by letting the kids know before the mom says "yes" even though it's a done deal. The girl says outright, "No," and the mom says, "We weren't asking for your permission, we're trying to have a discussion about it." The girl is upset that the mom is trying to force her into connecting with "whatever rich guy walks through the door" and that the discussion aspect of the news is a sham. the boyfriend even pretended to care about the girl's new babysitter service just before they sideswiped the kids with the marriage news. it reminded me of Dems adults-in-the-room condescension as they offer us to capital at everyone's expense. I think I connected more with that scene than my kids did. The Babysitters Club is a right-wing psyop- thanks for reading if you made it this far

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’m the oldie ITT and my daughter goes to more protests than I do. She barely escaped a beating in Chicago Saturday by sneaking down to the tourist-filled river walk.

Proud of her but drat poo poo is scary; if your kids turn out good then they put themselves in harm’s way.

can’t get the app to embed a pic but saw a ‘we kill proud boys’ graffiti today, very cool.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
jeez. my daughter is 9 and pretty drat left-wing socially and fiscally already, and this is without any prodding from my end. i predict a lot of the same in her future.

buy her a ballistic helmet imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

jeez. my daughter is 9 and pretty drat left-wing socially and fiscally already, and this is without any prodding from my end. i predict a lot of the same in her future.

buy her a ballistic helmet imo

careful with that "already"

adolescence, among other things, is weaponized intellectual dumbassery fired by our genes which also helps new poo poo to happen, and that fires against any/all family structures

naomi klein herself readily admits that, as a daughter of two solid left-wing parents, her rebellion was to be a preppy gossip girl type, then she a few years into university she rebounded hard thankfully

buttigieg's father was a hardcore Marxist, friend of Cornell West and the guy who apparently did the first academic edition and translation of Antonio Gramsci from its original Italian in the United States and... no welp big enough here

so you gotta be seated in wisdom here. give them space to rebel to the left of you; hell, get some anarchist stuff accessible if necessary, better to have a black flag child than your kid telling that "actually I think property and wealth taxes are not ok, because according to this graph and this study made by the MIT/Tesla/Amazon tax and fiscal research committee and consortium..."