Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vox Nihili posted:

there's like a 50/50 chance our kid got a mild case of Hand, foot, and mouth disease at this wretched daycare, holy poo poo EVERY DAY THERE IS A NEW AILMENT IN MY HOME

Praise be to Nurgle, and the joys of his pestilent blessings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

my daughter is 2 and a quarter and she isn't really interested in playing with other kids or interacting with them. she isn't mean or rude to most kids aside from the normal toddler thing of grabbing stuff another kid might be playing with and, she gets excited when older kids show up at the playground and follows them around giggling but I don't know at what point she "should" be into playing with other kids. she does the parallel play thing well enough. I know I shouldn't worry about it and every kid develops at their own pace, but I'm just curious about it.

she isn't in daycare so I realize she isn't getting that much social contact with other kids outside playground/playgroup/swimming that we attend. she's perfectly social with adults.

On one hand, this sounds extremely normal, especially if she's not in daycare. On the other hand, my six year old was the same way, and it was an early clue that he was indeed autistic. I don't remember how much he was into watching older kids at the time though, I feel like not a lot. Keep it in mind, but don't stress about it?

Speaking of, he got up way too early today and began making a crossword. Weird kid. At least he's switched to Pokémon now...

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ my kid just hit that age of playing at 3, and now he goes around the playground going "Hey I want to play!" And it kills me a bit bc his peers aren't there yet and the older kids don't care about him.
--
I would like to add my two cents to "keep your kid in immersion."

I am a language person professionally, and I'm part of a three language household now.

The thing is, exposure to another language and culture is about being exposed to different people and appreciating difference, of course. But languages change something fundamental in the brain. Again as a language person the Russian proverb "learn a new language, acquire a new soul." is self-evident.

Check out the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis to get a more scientific idea of what I mean. In linguistics this hypothesis is considered obsolete for research purposes but the base truth remains.

Now, I am aware a math person and a visual arts person will tell you the same about their thing thar's legit. I am not saying languages are better.

But perhaps immersion is a defined, clear thing and, as other has pointed, the gifted class might be good or not.

Again my two cents.

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Mar 29, 2024

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife is probably getting a job for the upcoming school year (as in, they're calling her references today so it's most likely a done deal) so we're going to be doing a two-working-parent household

The toddler (will be 4 when the job starts) can have her preschool upped to fulltime; the baby (who will be 1 in about a month) will need daycare but (unlike his older sister) seems like he is the kind of kid who would do well with more time around other kids and new surroundings. So this should work! Nervous for a big transition but it'll be good for us. The one-income household thing wasn't sustainable and was always supposed to be short-term, and my wife was honestly going stir-crazy after a winter of endless double sicknesses.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

My wife is probably getting a job for the upcoming school year (as in, they're calling her references today so it's most likely a done deal) so we're going to be doing a two-working-parent household

The toddler (will be 4 when the job starts) can have her preschool upped to fulltime; the baby (who will be 1 in about a month) will need daycare but (unlike his older sister) seems like he is the kind of kid who would do well with more time around other kids and new surroundings. So this should work! Nervous for a big transition but it'll be good for us. The one-income household thing wasn't sustainable and was always supposed to be short-term, and my wife was honestly going stir-crazy after a winter of endless double sicknesses.

Got some bad news about two kids in daycare and sickness!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Got some bad news about two kids in daycare and sickness!!

Hoping the baby worked up some antibodies getting his sister's preschool colds at least :pray:

He was literally sick for a month straight culminating in an ear infection a couple weeks ago

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

Hoping the baby worked up some antibodies getting his sister's preschool colds at least :pray:

He was literally sick for a month straight culminating in an ear infection a couple weeks ago

There's always more and it's always worse.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol hope she gets lots of sickdays

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The mall is the place to be to push a kid around in a stroller.
I know this because a hundred other parents did too

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I had fun taking toddler to a little train yard for babies and he got to see the Easter Bunny, but he didn't give a gently caress about the Easter Bunny because he wasn't a train.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I didn't want to wait in line for the Easter bunny so I put the stroller in front of the stage and snapped a picture of her with the bunny sitting down over her shoulder

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Our local YMCA is so loving choice. The discounts off judo and after school care more than offset the family membership and instant, unlimited, access to a pool and climbing wall are absolute game changers for a bored kid.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dog just snapped at baby, and gave her a scratch.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've known my dog longer than I've known baby and I know my kids regularly overstep with dog. Honestly, if I was dog I would have eaten both babies after the first tail pull. Dog is most patient parent out of us all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KirbyKhan posted:

I've known my dog longer than I've known baby and I know my kids regularly overstep with dog. Honestly, if I was dog I would have eaten both babies after the first tail pull. Dog is most patient parent out of us all.

Dog was apprehensive when she first came home, but didn't mind her grabbing his face or ears.
She learned crawling though, and crawling to him was too much, I guess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Our dog is a rescue with a bite history, and we take teaching our kids how to touch her very seriously (both had a "grab, squeeze, and pull" impulse at first which isn't how you pet a dog) but really we're just lucky that the dog has an "inner circle" of humans and once you're in she will never harm you

I keep telling people she's a Republican because she loves her family and hates everyone else

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
did early easter because wife has to work tomorrow, had a lot of fun. she went to bed early which was awesome, but we paid for it in the am lol

thoughts
-gonna miss when I can't give her a piggie backs
-i can tell she misses being around other kids, got some real good park time
-love her energy on being told she can help with something for house projects

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Benagain posted:

my kid's 3 1/2 and even though she has friends she likes and talks about it's still mostly 'they chase each other around, sometimes, and then get mad when the other one isn't always on the same wavelength"

Tell her to
:sever:

KirbyKhan posted:

I had fun taking toddler to a little train yard for babies and he got to see the Easter Bunny, but he didn't give a gently caress about the Easter Bunny because he wasn't a train.

Nearby mall has a "train" that drives through the mall. $1 a ride.

My kid loves it so much. Trains are the best and kids just know.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

there's like a 50/50 chance our kid got a mild case of Hand, foot, and mouth disease at this wretched daycare, holy poo poo EVERY DAY THERE IS A NEW AILMENT IN MY HOME

Update: 100% chance I've got this poo poo, lmao

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I had hfm all over my bald head and it sucked, goondolences

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Our kid no sold hfm while my wife got blisters on the back of her throat and couldn't eat solid food for a week. Rip goon

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The daycare pestilence does get better, 6mo to a year later once kiddo gets over every viral infection ever

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lost a mitt just as it turns spring and she'll need a new one next winter.
The perfect crime

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

HootTheOwl posted:

The perfect crime

target has coats with mitt clips so I always go with those

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

HootTheOwl posted:

The perfect crime

they'll be too small anyway

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

The perfect crime

We made elastic bands with snap-on buttons for mittens so the kids wouldn't lose them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

they'll be too small anyway

That's what makes it the perfect crime

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

We made elastic bands with snap-on buttons for mittens so the kids wouldn't lose them.

I think e has these as kids

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
You can't buy them anymore. It's some kind of hazard... in a world where scarves exist and are fine.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Two days in a row now I've come into toddler's room at 5 a.m. to hear her crying and raving about poopoo until I calm her down.

I think she's having bad dreams about when she had diarrhea a few weeks ago. Tough being a 20 month old. :(

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Saga of bad at capitalism kid: a Danish Easter tradition is sending out a gækkebrev, which amounts to an anonymous ransom note basically, to anyone but mostly grandparents. They then have to guess the sender in 3 tries to get an Easter egg, otherwise the sender gets the egg.
Anyway, we did a late delivery of a letter to my mom (protip: announcing the letter immediately is probably a bad strategy). Then, when we got home, the kid decided that he would prefer that she guesses that he sent it, so that he will have to give her one of his eggs, because he already has so many. And it's not even that he doesn't like them, he's just super content with what he has?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*my kid explains all the April fools pranks he perpetrated and experienced today*

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My 4 year old wanted me to read Hamlet to him as his bedtime story, and now he's showing an unhealthy obsession with current Danish royalty.

How do I prevent this from spinning into monarchism?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Segue into Dumas

Not Three Musketeers though, do Man in the Iron Mask and Count of Monte Cristo, that should help

It worked for Sideshow Bob, right?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ikanreed posted:

My 4 year old wanted me to read Hamlet to him as his bedtime story, and now he's showing an unhealthy obsession with current Danish royalty.

"Okay sweetie, tonight I'll read you a story about a man named Robespierre..."

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

ikanreed posted:

good luck because all kid medium is pro monarchy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sonatinas posted:

good luck because all kid medium is pro monarchy.

Cows that type! Ducks on strike!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hamlet IS the deprogramming

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lmao, someone decided she wanted dinner an hour early and her last bottle and hour early from when an hour early would be. She is accelerating her schedule at geometric pace, she's going to get up at 3:30, and by noon will enter into a singularity
E: loving called it!

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 09:31 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

ikanreed posted:

There's a choose your own adventure Hamlet book that my kids enjoyed. Maybe change over to that particular version.