Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

It was Roblox for me

e: it passed after a two month suspension tho

"NOOO A FEW MORE MINUTES, LET ME FRIEND THIS PERSON"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Another Bill posted:

We took Minecradt away from our kids. They play an hour or two of video games a day, but for some reason Minecraft makes them act especially lovely afterwards.

I've got them set up playing The Sims and Stardew Valley and everything is cool but throw an hour of Minecraft in the mix and spend the rest of the day acting like toddlers. Anyone else notice this poo poo?

minecraft is crack for kids. they are basically experiencing withdrawal

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I would kill for my kids to watch youtube shows, I have currently seen Monsters inc like 100 times and Bolt at least 50

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wife is being induced on Thursday

Terrified, excited, drat near nauseous just thinking about coming home with a tiny rear end human

More excited to be a dad though :unsmith:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Alright! It's magical, bud.

You're going to drive home so slowly lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh my god we were talking about that too, gonna be on the slow lane doing 20 the entire way

At least I'll fit in with the other Maryland drivers :v:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I have no problem with youtube per se, but I hate the algorithm and my wife makes me feel like I'm Stalin Incarnate any time I move to change the video when the kid taps on something insipid.
Like those two little russian brats that act utterly insane. I hate them so much. Blippi is fine, at least he teaches stuff.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I banned anything that involved kids playing with toys and blippi poo poo. my kid was addicted to pinkfong cocomelon and babybus.

her jam now is like kid science stuff which I’m ok with.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

B-Rock452 posted:

I would kill for my kids to watch youtube shows, I have currently seen Monsters inc like 100 times and Bolt at least 50

I tried Monsters Inc since I'd never seen it and I ended up as the only one watching lol. So far, the only movie I can get to stick is Nightmare Before Christmas

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It will be a while before my girl is able to navigate youtube and all that but the Elsagate poo poo had me shook as far as kid friendly stuff goes, is there a running list of things to absolutely avoid and stuff that would be ok for them to watch (beyond the obvious stupid poo poo trying to get them to buy poo poo or other useless content)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

It will be a while before my girl is able to navigate youtube and all that but the Elsagate poo poo had me shook as far as kid friendly stuff goes, is there a running list of things to absolutely avoid and stuff that would be ok for them to watch (beyond the obvious stupid poo poo trying to get them to buy poo poo or other useless content)

avoid baby shark at all costs

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We've focused on prime kids shows mostly

Creative galaxy, tumble leaf, somehow they turned the "if x, then" sentence structure into an entire if you give a mouse a cookie show which is oddly nice

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I heard that paw patrol is fascist. What's up with that

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

some plague rats posted:

the Asian produced kids shows are full of copaganda

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

some plague rats posted:

i wouldn't say fascist exactly, but extremely bootlicky

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

babypolis posted:

minecraft is crack for kids. they are basically experiencing withdrawal

Yeah its totally this. They even look like little burnt out crackheads after a long session

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

baby signing time and number blocks are good shows for kids imo

but really by the time you have to worry about any of this, there will be fun new terrible fads for your kid to get sucked into. until you reach that point, i wish you luck on getting a full night's sleep whenever possible

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

silvergoose posted:

somehow they turned the "if x, then" sentence structure into an entire if you give a mouse a cookie show which is oddly nice

Yeah, Fargo

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
how do you teach your kids to deal with political poo poo? I want my kids to be leftists so we talk about stuff generically but I want them to be able to learn more without telling kids they interact with that capitalism is the root of all evil, explicitly at least.

Need to find balance so every parent in the neighborhood doesn't hate me.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
little kids probably shouldn't know that the society around them is hosed imo

be there to guide them toward empathy for their fellow man and the rest will follow in time

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I talk more about mutual aid and how bad people make choices that hurt others

with regards to racism I talk about how bad people want to make some people’s lives hard

kinda like on those terms and then when she turns like 8 then it will be time to get a bit more detailed

I have friends that try to over explain poo poo like kids have adult brains ; have to use terms and words that reflect the worldview you have created for them

also I bought a ton of books that talk about it much better than me, they’re not too succ but I can probably write them all down tomorrow

a good one my kid likes right now is called we are water protectors and it’s about the Dakota access pipeline but told as a metaphor

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Here is the list of the books that I could find around the house. I may have omitted one or two.

A is for Activist
Counting on Community
Hug me
We are water protectors
Sulwe
If sharks disappeared
Anti racist baby
We are grateful
Fry bread
Here we are
The proudest blue
I have the right to be a child

Need some new ML books for kids lol. That market is wide open.

The Bacteria Book: The Big World of Really Tiny Microbes is also good if you want to talk about viruses with the kids

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Flavius Aetass posted:

little kids probably shouldn't know that the society around them is hosed imo

be there to guide them toward empathy for their fellow man and the rest will follow in time

Yeah this is pretty much the answer. My oldest is three and we just make an effort to have a diverse number of children's books that we read to her (although all she wants right now is we are going on a bear hunt and I want to die) and lead by example with how we treat others. Her day care is very diverse as well which is great and she pretty much plays with everyone. We do make a huge effort to protect her from what's actually happening and even wearing masks we coded it as she is protecting others when she wears it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

sonatinas posted:

Need some new ML books for kids lol

The Communist Manifesto is perfect for children

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wife is being induced, here at the hospital now just doing the waiting the game, won't be posting much

Gonna be a dad this weekend :unsmith:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Good luck! It's gonna be a simultaneously exhausting and energizing few days.

I gotta say, having a kid (mine is currently 6 months) is a huge motivator to stay active and push through the garbage dredge work parts of organizing. I don't care much about myself, but I'll die trying to make a better world for her if I have to.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Parenting is super fun and challenging. There's an awful lot that the baby is going to want only from their mom for the next 3 months (at least), so get ready to do everything else with a smile on your face. Hang in there and treat your wife like you're her butler for the next 3-6 months.

I have two and its amazing. We play Warhammer and watch superhero movies together. :3:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

just remember you’re on the clock now, hydrate, read every day to them, high contrast images are great for babies

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Officially a dad as of 45 minutes ago and I can't stop crying I am beyond happy

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
hell yeah,.congrats! Don't stock up on newborn size diapers as they start filling them up trump style. Size 1s have the longest usefulness period

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Congrats, mang

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i fell asleep in my 6 year olds bed at 8pm and now i guess im up for the day?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Good soup! posted:

Congrats man

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Congrats!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
the baby is 8 weeks old and she's been sleeping like poo poo but she's really into smiling so it's all good

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

get than skin to skin bonding right now if you can

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

that's awesome, congrats :unsmith:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Good soup! posted:

good job dad goon

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Good soup! posted:

So happy for you man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

oxsnard posted:

how do you teach your kids to deal with political poo poo? I want my kids to be leftists so we talk about stuff generically but I want them to be able to learn more without telling kids they interact with that capitalism is the root of all evil, explicitly at least.

Need to find balance so every parent in the neighborhood doesn't hate me.

I was heavily indoctrinated by my parents and community to be extremely conservative and evangelical. Unfortunately for them I also learned critical thinking and read a lot of books.

Teaching your kids critical thinking, empathy, creativity, and how to love learning will help them develop their own worldview because whatever ideaology you shove down their throat is going to have to pass through the crucible of their identity seeking teenage and young adult years.

E: I realized op was probably not asking to indoctrinate his kids but I'mma leave this post up anyhow.

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jan 23, 2021