Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hopefully the right place to ask, sooo...

What are y'all doing for college funds? I've setup a 529 (lol just in time for recession) that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Voting for Bernie is probably the best plan though

About to head to my voting place for the primary do this very thing in fact.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Congrats!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cloth diapers, no blowouts

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

we tried those and they are definitely for the type of person who doesn't let dishes pile up

Lol we actually let dishes pile up. But never diapers, like clockwork on those things

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My little one recently started demanding to use the potty so that's cool. Going well so far.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My kiddo has decided to quit her nap time routine so lately she's been deliriously tired by 8 and dead asleep by 9.

In short, sleep deprivation works. Don't do this, I wish she would nap.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My kid just turned 2 and has been very quiet for the most part. She spoke her first words a while ago, like around 15-16 months (mama & dada), but for the most part she's just said them like 2 or 3 times apiece and otherwise communicates nonverbally, either pointing at things or taking our hands and leading us to the location of whatever it is she wants at the time (snacks, pick-up, a toy she wants to play with together). We know she knows the words and understands a lot of stuff, but for whatever reason she just doesn't feel like actually saying anything.

Today she decided to climb into my lap for one of my work meetings. I put the headset on her, and as soon as I did she waved at my coworkers and said a very clear "Hi." Then she greeted her grandma with a "Hi." and when she left with grandma she gave us kisses and waved and said a very clear "Bye." :kimchi:

oh boy here we go, soon it's going to be nonstop questions and I can't wait lol

My kiddo has turned into a complete chatterbox and it's amazing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

My son slept on his stomach every day for the first year of his life and he’s still alive 6 years later.

Suck it, experts!

Did he roll onto to his stomach or did you place him on his stomach?

My kiddo also slept on their stomach and when I asked the Dr. she said as long as my kiddo rolled onto their stomach they were fine. I still worried way too much about it lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
While my kiddo still has meltdowns at times (mostly when hungry or sleepy) she's doing great for what I expected at 3.

During her birthday party at the start of the month her friend was melting down because she didn't want to leave so my kiddo went up to her, put an arm around her and said "it's okay to be upset but sometimes we have to leave" and I wanted to cry lol just the sweetest thing ever

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Kind of the opposite of bedshitting, but any advice on getting a newborn to poop?

Our five week old preemie is on day 3 of no poops and she spends most of her free time with her new hobby: straining visibly and loudly. Bicycle kicks get farts out, but no turds.

Try rubbing her tummy in a clockwise motion pushing a bit firmly but obviously not too hard. That's what a nurse told us to do with our premie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Shockingly, the Pete the Cat tv show on prime is oddly watchable. Decent singing/music, the plots are actually kinda funny, fine lessons for kids.

The show is infinitely better than the books.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kiddo bringing home a cold from preschool and passing it around succckksssss

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If your kiddo has curly hair (or you do and don't know this) a satin/silk pillowcase is really good for their hair. Helps maintain curls/fight frizz

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

My daughter still utterly refuses to sleep with a pillow or blanket; I have become convinced we are going to send her to college with a twin-xl-sized sleep sack

Mine just started enjoying having a blanket, she's 3.

We didn't sleep train so it was a lot of nursing and rocking to get her sleeping, but she also started getting through the night on her own just fine, only exception is when she fills her diaper. So once she was old enough it was laying her in her bed with her head on a pillow so she'd get accustomed to it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My kiddo wanted to be a zombie, then a cute zombie, then a "ghoul", then vampire, then nothing spooky.

She decided to be a unicorn. She put on her costume and asked if she was scary, we told her no since she didn't want to be which made her grin and say, "what if I growl" then growled. Lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My kiddo loves carrots, so the other day I gave her some carrot slices she ate half, then started chewing up another, stood up, looked me dead in the eye and said "I don't like carrots" and spit everything in her mouth onto the floor then tried to run off.

Lord help me

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

On taco night my 4yo refuses to enter the dining room. He runs away anytime we eat anything new.

When we first stated taco nights we would make her tacos for her and she hated it, so now we put everything on the table and let her choose her taco ingredients and now it works! she eats the tortilla by itself and everything else in their own separate portions

Mustached Demon posted:

toddlers are really weird about food it's ok

they're learning how to process taste and don't even taste food the same way adults do

To tack on to thus, their taste buds also change like every for months!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You might try a Bluetooth speaker then use one of your current devices (and leave it in another room) to play whatever Playlist u want.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You can get a speaker that has basic functions like previous/next song and volume. If you want her to be able to pick a song you're probably going to be using a device like you posted or a timio which are gunna be more limited in song choice... or something with a screen obv.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My kiddo woke up around 1 am, sprinted to our bedroom to say she was done in her bed for the night then passed out in our bed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

some of them have timers and a remote too so you can turn them off when one’s kid goes to sleep.

My kids got one liked that shaped like a trex called trexie. She loves setting its color every night at bed time (she's been picking the fading between color mode most nights lately lol)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

Guys is it normal for a newborn to be completely miserable at all times he's not feeding

Like I've already mentioned how he completely flips out every diaper change, but the thing is he's pretty likely to start crying at any given moment he's not eating. Pacifier helps, but only sometimes, and we wouldn't have even given him one this early if it wasn't completely consistent his whole life that he is literally never happy if there's not a boob in his mouth

I don't THINK this is how it worked for us last time, I'd remember that

If he's flipping out every diaper change it could be gas/pooping/digestion issues as well. My second has some of that, so we move his legs like he's on a bicycle and turn his hips back n forth to help him toot and it usually helps him settle a bit. You could also try gripewater with a feeding time to see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My 4 year olds jams: