Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm not wishing harm on them, I'm saying the best case scenario is that when a bunch of kids inevitably die for capitalism mine aren't among them.

Not In My Boy, Yo!

But seriously, I get it. Current policy might get some kids infected and die. I don't want that either, but I would like it even less if they were my kid. Luckily, I'm in Denmark where our Romanian ambassador did a capitalism to get us a bunch of extra vaccines that the Romanians didn't want. And also the antivax movement is less prominent and we have some infrastructure for parents. Most people get to stay home with pay for a day or two with a sick kid for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The OP:

Flavius Aetass posted:

DON'T:

- Question why someone would have a kid in this doomed earth, etc.
- Be a dick about the concept of having kids

The point being that it's not very original

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Too late, I'm already entirely owned by my almost four year old being better at dinosaurs than me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah that's kind of where mines at feeding wise. I try to mitigate as much as i can but I've just accepted that part of my day now is cleaning up and vacuuming after every mealtime, and sometimes also bathing the kid if she got it on her as well

At a certain age, (live 1 year old) my kid would announce that he had finished the meal by knocking over his cup. Kinda nice communications wise, but really annoying cleanup. My wife and I got some ninja skills catching the cup before.

Nowadays, he has way to many toys (they accumulate), but mostly he just goes around picking up rocks, screws, cherry pits, whatever he can find on the ground. He's 4, and I think I can teach him some good things about stuff not being essential.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think I finally got my soon to be four year old hooked on a classic Danish children's show (Kaj og Andrea) instead of Paw Patrol and Blaze. It's just so much better, both in terms of not being ultra American propaganda crap, but also in teaching the kids to play and sing. Also the puppet characters are behaving like actual children. The frog spends a couple of minutes telling how brave he is and that he doesn't need any anesthesia at the (pretend) dentist, but he is apparently in pain the second he has to open his mouth. It's very relatable.

There's a bit of classic gender roles in there that's less cool, but overall, I highly recommend it (fluency in Danish required).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm really glad both my mom and my in laws have managed to respect our request not to put the kid anywhere public.

What we have done is create a private Google album for pictures. It works quite well, and while Google obviously has full access to knowing he loves ice cream and rocks, none of his peers will ever gain access to it. That's good enough for me, and easy to manage even for our boomers.

Have you tried telling them that you won't send pictures if they put them online? And knocked the camera out of their hands? Probably gonna escalate the conflict, but it seems worth it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

babypolis posted:

honest question, why care at all? feels trying to fend off an incoming tsunami with a bucket

To me, it's mostly about his future classmates not being able to Google him eating hummus with his hair at age 1 and using that to bully him because kids are dumb.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Children's books are a loving jungle, a whole bunch of them are actively terrible, some just really reinforce gender roles (looking at you too Peppa pig), and of the few that are left, too many are terribly written. Especially once you get past three sentences per page stuff. I'm glad I'm Danish, because some of the Scandinavian classics are top notch. Pippi Longstocking is more or less "gently caress behaving properly, have fun, do fun poo poo" and Alfons Åberg gets a lot of props for being about a single dad and his kid.

If you can get your hands on anything by Jakob Martin Strid, do it, it's good poo poo. He used to be a radical anarchist before mellowing out too.

Lastly, we just got a new Danish book called Tonni2Tons, which is all about imagination. My favourite bit is when they're looking for the lost cigar case where the principal's imaginary dragon lived, and they find it in the lost and found bin of a cinema that's been turned into a supermarket. Among the other things found is "Socialdemokratiets principprogram", which is loosely translated the founding principles of the social democrats.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I highly recommend this book for small children:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Stor...53672794&sr=1-1

It has both animals AND poop and plenty opportunity for silly voices.

It's a bit poo poo though. It's great, everyone should read it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

For perspective, over here in Denmark we have vuggestue (0-3, mostly 1-3), børnehave (kindergarden, 3-6) and then school starting with grade 0 (used to start at 1, but crept down a year).

It really is amazing how much (good) pedagogues and social interaction can benefit young kids. My kid learned a bunch of stuff that I never imagined from age 1, and they keep coming up with stuff. It's good as gently caress, but we've also been lucky with our places. It's also heavily subsidized (and even more so if you're poor or a single parent or something), so close to every kid learns to socialize from an early age.

Our pandemic is a lot more under control for the record, so I'm not that worried. They also shut the place down if anyone got covid

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edit: dumb joke, ignore me.

BonHair has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Aug 26, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

one thing to remember here is that toddlers are still working out how reading and books work conceptually - while it's obvious to us that when you read the same book twice you get the same story, your kid might still be figuring that out

This might be part of it, but they also just loving love repetition. My kid (just turned 4) will go out of his way to watch the same cartoon episode over and over. Same goes for reading the dinosaur book, always the same pages, and you better believe he is ready to point at that pachycephalosaurus the moment I say the word. And also correct me if I read something wrong or in the wrong order.

I sometimes try switching out irrelevant details (coffee becomes tea, supermarket becomes specific chain, that sort of thing), and he always catches me and corrects me.

The point being that they know drat well what will happen, they just like it like that from at least age 3 or so.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my kid has started reciting entire movie scenes to himself and im worried he's gonna turn into that kid who would "watch shrek in his head" when he was bored.

This, but it's dino documentaries for kids. Hearing him explain what happened when the meteor hit including phrases like "and not only that" was super weird until we noticed the source. Just two minutes of monologue about mass extinction.

He is also absolutely not taking questions or comments before finishing, thank you very much.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

What docs are these? My kid can run lines from Dino Dana. Gotta switch it up.

Dinolaboratoriet. Pretty good stuff, 3 minute episodes, it's pretty recent and factual and with a bit of humour. Made by Danish national broadcasting, so also very much in Danish.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tzen posted:

lol on the subject of names, it took ages to figure out the middle names
middle names are dumb
we finally just went with something that married the first and last name together, made it sound good phonetically

Are middle names mandatory in Usa? My kid is just Name Dadslastname Momslastname, and we barely considered adding an extra first name. We did discuss the order of the last names (mine is technically a middle name), but it was only really serious on my wife's part.

Also reading about covid over there is bizarre, here in Denmark we are all but back to normal. I do not envy your freedom, but you have my sympathies. I have basically no worries leaving my 4 year old with 32 other kids 4 days a week (and one day with my mother).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tzen posted:

I still lol at the parents that named their kids Isis before ISIS rose to prominence
that's when the middle names come in the clutch I suppose

I met an adult Isis a few years back. She didn't give a gently caress, and it was really easy to tell her apart from the terrorists. My wife is also called Ida, but I was the last person to break something by throwing it.

Honestly, don't sweat it with stuff like that. The important thing is not picking a name that gets associated with negative stereotypes, like Jayden or something. And even that advice is mostly just thinly veiled classism.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's not fun. I know several people who went through it. The best advice I heard was actually to talk about it at work or somewhere with women age 40+. It's way more common than we think, but it's a huge taboo to talk about. But comparing experiences with someone who went through the same some time ago seemed helpful.

Also it's not a complete stop. You can still have kids if you still feel to it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We're trying to get our kid to watch less Paw Patrol and more classic Scandinavian kid's shows. Right now, we're having some luck, and especially one episode really caught my eye as pretty good. Alfie Atkins (Alfons Åberg) is a kid living with his (implied) single dad in an apartment, and there are a bunch of books about him doing regular kids stuff, including a lot of his imagination. The books have been turned into a TV show in a very faithful way.
Anyway, the episode we saw deals with Alfie, age 6, who's playing soldiers with his friend Hamdi. Hamdi's dad used to be a soldier "in his old country", but he doesn't like to talk about it, but of course he eventually does. And then he, in a very honest (but kid friendly) way tells about how war is bad. It's tied to a story about fixing a football goal, and ends up with the moral that war is destruction, which is bad, and instead of destroying things, we should build things. It just knocked me out the way it took this very serious, but very real and potentially relevant, topic and explained it to a 6 year old (or in actuality my 4 year old who was paying very close attention trying to make sense of it (and probably with limited success on the first run)).
Short version: Alfie Atkins is good, and the story about the soldier dad is very good.

I found the original book on Wikipedia if anyone is interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfons_och_soldatpappan

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Over here daily doses of D is recommended for all kids under 2, and encouraged afterwards especially in winter. But we are pretty far north I guess.

Anyway, my kid had a constant runny nose from even he started in daycare until one week into lockdown. Daycare and the like are full of diseases basically, on account of all the different sources of the parents and the lack of immunity of the kids. Also because, when lockdown was lifted, the first thing one of the kids did after disinfecting and getting dropped off was to lick the entire railing up the stairs inside.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cardboard box, snacks, things that can make noise when banged against the floor.

Gift card for 5 walks in the park with you (minimum one hour for sleep)

E: infinite wrapping paper.

BonHair has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Oct 1, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

a set of cheap musical instruments for kids :unsmigghh:

Please go to an instrument store, not a toy store. You can get actual functional instruments for the same price and much higher quality. My kid got my old harmonica, and it's honestly not terrible sounding when we "jam" with me on guitar, despite him being four.

My wife unfortunately has vetoed percussion for now. I'm gonna try again in the spring when we're settled in to the house more. But I have done some research, and the options are not bad.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

my 4-year-old: i want to be a superhero so i can destroy florida because it's a bad state

i see my kid's been listening to me rant

Do not teach them about global warming, you'll create a supervillain!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

man i do not know how people manage without a support network, my kid is sick today so we are holding him out of daycare... my wife and i both have unalterable and important work commitments today. thank goodness my mom is local, she is watching him today while we work. what the hell would we have done if we didn't have her around? anyway, blessings upon all parents, grandparents, and broader support networks today. hope everyone can be safe and healthy today!

Our really good parent friends have decided to move back home to Iceland because of this. They've lived in Denmark for 10+ years, but having his parents around is worth it to them. And they're super into city life too, which they, by their own admission, won't be getting in Iceland (they're not moving to Reykjavík). It sucks, because they're super chill to hang out with.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

oh man moving from one of the best countries in the world to another one of the best countries in the world to be with family there, that's real fuckin rough

Yeah, I'm being selfish as gently caress, I'm just gonna miss them. The point I was making is that having grandparents around when you have young kids is a godsend. And apparently worth sacrificing a lot of your adult life for, including friends, career and lifestyle.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

my kid has recently started a fun game when i pick him up from daycare, he will run most of the way towards the door when i knock (door has big windows in it so he can see), and then when they daycare lady unlocks and opens the door, he gets a poo poo eating grin on his face and runs to the other end of the room laughing his head off. its pretty funny, im just glad he looks like he's having fun and isn't, like, running away from me for bad reasons.

My kid has decided that he will not hug me goodbye when i drop him off, opting instead for running up the stairs to the main room. I take it as a great sign that he feels safe and good about being in daycare, and you should too.

On the other end, my ex colleague had major issues with her daycare, and the kid would cling to her as soon as she arrived. That's a bad sign. Luckily, she was able to basically do half time at work with full pay because of majorly incompetent leadership.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i love it when my kid says something hilarious and then I hate it when I later figure out he's literally just repeating a line from a Netflix cartoon.

even worse when he and his brother conspire to recreate entire snippets of repartee that are whole cloth stolen from some show.

god dammit.

Yeah, it's kind of impressive when they go off and recite 2 minutes of monologue about dinosaurs perfectly though.

The pro move is to get them hooked on something classic. My ex and her family would do the same thing with Shakespeare, and that seemed sophisticated.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

10 days old now and i respect single parents even more than i already did how on earth do they do this

My (single) mom is super fond of sitting in the comfy chair watching TV for some reason.

But also, I would imagine it helps a bit that you don't have to salvage/maintain a relationship while parenting, including all the implicit/explicit negotiation of how to do poo poo and who should change poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

"I don't remember" is code for "I don't want to answer on the grounds that you won't like the answer". Or possibly that they don't want to talk about it, like when I ask what my 4 year old did in daycare.

In other news, we sent him to daycare this week after keeping him home since the middle of December, and he's clearly way happier than when he was at home. Other kids and skilled pedagogical staff is great, highly recommended. Now we just hope the pandemic goes down again.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

wait till you see another kid on camera who is visibly sick and crying and her mom can't help her because she's "asleep" and all the teacher can do is try to calm her down.

this isn't hypothetical I witnessed it with my own eyes yesterday morning.

Wait, what was going on? Was she pretending to sleep or dead or on too many drugs or what?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

i heard about this practice and while i don't think i'd have the balls to do it in canada where i'd instantly get reported by someone to child services im curious as to how the practice emerged and why. a bundled up baby with fresh air helps them sleep?

i used to do the same thing but with alberta but these days? lol. lmao.

As a Scandinavian, it's completely normal, to the point that pretty much everyone does it. You just wrap the baby up so it's warm (duvets, insulated stroller, warm clothes) and keep an alarm to notify you when they wake up.

I'd guess the practice comes from a combination of space limitation, not wanting to wake the baby up if you walked somewhere while it feel asleep and just a general fresh air is good mentality.

It's also kicking rad because you don't have to be quiet while the baby sleeps if you live in an apartment.

Alarms sometimes come with temperature sensors, but that's for paranoids in my opinion.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pro tip: while bathroom keys may seem like a good idea in the adult world, consider removing then when you have kids between maybe three and seven?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Another Bill posted:

My 7 year old is confused about racism. She gets that it's really bad but calls anyone being mean a racist. We've corrected her a few times now but it's becoming a thing. We're working on it...

How did you manage it though? I'm thinking it would be fun to use "capitalist" as a generic slur, but I don't know how to achieve it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just chiming in to say that my four year old also ate whatever a year or two ago, but now he refuses to try new stuff. We're trying to go pretty hard on not making supplemental pasta for every meal, but sometimes that means he will only eat tomatoes and mint leaves or something. At least he still eats oatmeal for breakfast.

He does have some weird preferences. He loves pickles for some reason, but something as boring as mashed potatoes is completely out of the question.

He does seem to have learned that sourdough bread is the best bread, he will try store bought yeast bread, but not eat more than a few bites, but when we bake the good stuff, he keeps going. This, I consider i succes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My kid really likes watching a Russian cartoon (Masha and the bear). I am not particularly fond of Russia these days. On one hand, I feel like I should probably boycott Russian media, but I really don't know how to explain global politics to a 4 year old in a way that makes him okay with losing his favourite show. Plus, it's actually the best thing he's watching in terms of content, with the primary competition being paw patrol. I also don't know if it's actually supporting the Russian government, since it's on Netflix anyway.

It's not a big thing, but I kinda needed to vent it somewhere...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No particularly awful content that I am aware of, no. Just a vague feeling of unease about anything Russian, especially since I think there's a lot of interaction between media and government in general, even if I don't know if it applies to cartoons.

And yeah, compared to the wonderful messages of paw patrol, it's probably the last thing I should worry about.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What the hell America? That sounds absolutely insane and probably traumatizing as well.

Meanwhile, my kid refused to participate in a fire drill when he was 3. He did not appreciate not getting advance notice about the event and completely refused to get out. Probably not great altogether, but at least he doesn't have to worry about guns.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Success story: we finally got my almost five year old a real bike, and within like ten minutes I could let go of the broomstick I was using to help with the balance. Using a running bike really seems to have paid off in terms of balance, aside from being nice in itself because it allowed a three year old to reach adult walking speeds. Heavily recommended.

Now I hope he grows up to never get a driver's license like his parents and my (single) mom.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My wife is teaching the kid that pee is not stored in the balls. One of us is clearly failing at parenting.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Having one of those cushions all around the crip and a phone with the light turned way down was really great at that age. Luckily my breathing/visible head was enough for the little bugger, no inane noise needed, and I was allowed to move a bit. The pacifier was not allowed to fall out though, especially when he just dozed off with open mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's generally a good idea to check up on beloved children's books before introducing them, a lot of them are ...not very PC. My mom found her old books, and read a beloved Danish classic which turned out to be a guide to racist stereotypes, complete with caricatures. It was quickly hidden away again, no harm done (I hope).

He's pretty chill about gender though: we're expecting a baby in November, and "we" decided we didn't want to know the genitals. So now the 5 year old (from Saturday) has declared that the baby will be something between a boy and a girl.