Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i was looking through my photos from earlier this year and found some from the beginning of february. my 8-year-old had asked me about primaries and i tried to give her a good rundown of how the process worked. an hour later she had built a polling location from magnet blocks and legos

i told her i was impressed by how much interest she was showing in the political process but i was also a bit confused about this guy:

when i asked why there's a guy in a spacesuit knocking on the door, she replied:

"oh he's trying to blow up the building because he thinks they're voting for the wrong person"

:stare:

she later added police to arrest the bomber.
also featured: another dude getting disenfranchised because he arrived too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

whoa that's awesome

i just find things like this

i fail to see whats wrong with this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

"dad, what is cock?"

jesus take the wheel

lol, these kinds of parenting moments are great

i was reading a children's book on telling time, and my 3-year-old told me she likes japanese cocks. pretty sure she meant 'clocks', but every time i try to correct her she insists on her pronunciation, saying it a bit louder each time. all i can do is pray they avoid talking about clocks during her distance learning classes :shepface:

e: a few days ago my 8-year-old told me about typing in 80085 on a calculator. i played dumb, and it was so fun watching her struggle to keep herself from laughing as she whispered the joke to me (she didn't want her innocent younger siblings to overhear).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i got an email from my son's 1st grade teacher apologizing for the inappropriate stuff in the class's Teams chat window. i chuckled and opened the chat, expecting to see kids spamming the word butt or something

instead i got treated to someone claiming to be in their 60s hitting on the kids in the class, sending creepy pictures, and asking to talk about sex. there were also a bunch of audio files i didn't click on. thank loving god my son can't read.

i am pretty shaken at the moment, what the gently caress

distance learning loving sucks!

e: edited a few of the details out

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Oct 28, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my 3-year-old was coloring a picture of baby shark and she came up to me and proudly showed me her work

"look daddy, the baby shark is swimming with her family! they are happy, swimming together in the Blood Cave." :buddy:

she really likes talking about blood

Organic Lube User posted:

Welp guess I'll be homeschooling my kid for the next few years. That's horrifying.

But seriously, I need leftist homeschool materials for Pre-K, or at least materials that aren't riddled with religious bullshit (liberation theology might be okay). Between the virus and the inevitable return of mass shootings and DeVos just chainsaw-loving the curriculum, I feel like it's insane to send a child to school. It's like sending them to loving Hogwarts now.

please let us all know if you find something that works. i'd definitely be open to homeschooling if my wife and i didn't have work. who knows? maybe one of us will get fired soon, and we can try to take charge of their education.

even discounting that super creepy incident, we've been having issues getting disconnected from class randomly. my son has taken advantage of this situation, and he's started ending the calls himself and claiming he got disconnected instead (and then asking to play video games lol). we can't hover over him the entire time class is going to ensure that he isn't doing that, and i don't like feeling suspicious of him every time he says he got disconnected. it's not fun!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Remulak posted:

My kids are now 18 & 21, and yeah, most parenting is just repeating the same frames with different backgrounds. It’s good you understand this now.

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my daughter had an assignment where you assign emojis to emotions and the one emoji she asked for help with was the thinking face emoji. i had no idea how to respond because all i can think of is :thunk:

i dont think i've ever used that emoji the way it was intended lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

It will be a while before my girl is able to navigate youtube and all that but the Elsagate poo poo had me shook as far as kid friendly stuff goes, is there a running list of things to absolutely avoid and stuff that would be ok for them to watch (beyond the obvious stupid poo poo trying to get them to buy poo poo or other useless content)

baby signing time and number blocks are good shows for kids imo

but really by the time you have to worry about any of this, there will be fun new terrible fads for your kid to get sucked into. until you reach that point, i wish you luck on getting a full night's sleep whenever possible

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Officially a dad as of 45 minutes ago and I can't stop crying I am beyond happy

that's awesome, congrats :unsmith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Juchero posted:

It's me, I'm the white person sending my children to school.

And I'm loving terrified.

I have one child who is non-verbal on the spectrum who can't be homeschooled or do virtual learning(we genuinely don't have the training for it), and I mask him up every day worrying. My older kid just completely burnt out of virtual school until he was depressed, and I basically had the choice of letting him fail or sending him to physical school(I know because the cops showed up at my house to make sure they would attend). He gets a mask too, and gets made fun of it by children of chuds who want their progeny to suffer and their grandparents to perish. This is Florida by the way, so we opened back up after summer break and never stopped.

I wish I could sleep well at night again.

edit: both are masked up in at *least* n95/kn95, but they make them take them off from time to time and it drives me insane.

good god this is the kind of poo poo I get nightmares about, I'm so sorry

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my first kid didn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time until she was 16 months old, and most of her naps were 20 minutes long in our tiny 1 bedroom apartment :shepicide:

my second kid was sleeping soundly through the night at 2 months.

my third kid's sleep schedule was the only one that seemed to align somewhat with the baby books i'd read.

in conclusion, baby sleep schedules are a land of contrasts

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Harton posted:

4 year old daughter woke me up

“good morning daddy, good morning”

“your an rear end in a top hat daddy”

“your an rear end in a top hat”

like poo poo DONT LET YOUR MOTHER HEAR YOU GOD DAMNIT!

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

A Switch + games that can be played in short chunks was a godsend during the first few months for me. I did so much grinding on Hyrule Warriors.

Also dunno what books you read, but pretty much all the ones I looked at varied from "only use a pacifier in absolute emergencies" to "never use a pacifier just deal with it," both claiming that giving an infant a pacifier will lead to them still needing one even when they start attending preschool. At least for us this was bullshit, we gave her a pacifier whenever she was otherwise inconsolable for the first few months and were able to wean her off relatively painlessly when she was a bit older; now at six months she only wants it when she's being put down for a nap.

e: All this is to say, do whatever you need to do to find reprieve from your screaming child. It's better for them and helps you be a better, calmer parent.

bottles and pacifiers are both bad for kids and lead to massive trauamtic issues down the line.

i claim this, not because i believe it to be true, but because all three of my kids completely refused bottles and pacifiers despite months of effort and i am incredibly jealous of parents whose kids actually took them

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Louisgod posted:

when my kids were babies, the WiiU was A Thing so when my youngest was born (2014), she'd sleep on me during the night and I'd get to get some console gaming in without waking her. also thank god for the 3DS.

there's a picture of me holding our first baby with a baby carrier while i played dark souls back in 2011

couldn't do that for the following kids because playing M rated games in front of toddlers seemed like a Bad Idea, so instead i was introduced to the hellish world of mobile gacha games

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

haha that reminds me, i said before that my first child barely slept. this was true of car rides too. we would drive from seattle to portland to visit family (~3-5 hr trip, depending on traffic), and my daughter would cry for so much of the trip. and if we were ever lucky enough for her to fall asleep, slowing down for traffic at tacoma, olympia, etc. would wake her right up.

it was maddening, until we discovered that if we played a certain song at almost full blast, she would stop crying, calm down, and fall asleep after about 10-15 minutes of listening.

this is that song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epFrre9ujRM

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

An Apple A Gay posted:

for those with children in girl scouts cookie season is upon us

gonna blow $4000 to order 800 boxes ourselves for that sweet, sweet nintendo switch

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

suddenly remembering how i managed to give up caffeine for 4 years and then that crashed the instant i became a dad

happy for you, new dad :unsmith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my 3-year-old was on an electronics break, and she came up to me to ask to play with the switch again.

me : we're on a break from electronics now, remember?

her: yes, but i'm cute, and i love you! *flashes wide, confident grin*

it didn't work, but lol dammit she knows that being cute gets her poo poo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my youngest tells me this is a man walking like a donut, but all i can see is dickbutt...

im sorry, my child, but the internet has ruined your father

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my son is "student of the week" so today kids got to ask him questions and this one kid goes "would you rather go to school or stay at home with your mom and dad?"

And I'm thinking "this kid is a fuckin plant!"

what did your son say

depending on the answer we may some harsh but necessary advice for you :sever:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh good im not the only one letting my kids binge on minecraft and ipads lol

your kid sounds pretty cool :hai:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

we used several brands and iirc we liked tula and ergo the best

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

man it's so awesome, between all the smiles and giggles and poo poo, she's noticing the cats, is now reaching out and grabbing stuff (ever so slowly) and exploring more with her hands/mouth in general

she's a trooper at night still, aside from a few hiccups here and there, so it's gonna suck when she hits that next regression :v:

one part of me is living vicariously through you and is really enjoying these happy posts of yours :3:

another part of me is chuckling to itself, thinking about how the bolded part you're celebrating becomes a nightmare once your kid learns to move and instantly transforms into a small mobile suicide machine

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

thanks to a strict low carb diet with some light weight training, i was in the best shape of my life. i'd lost a lot of weight, i had some muscle definition, my blood pressure was down, life was great

then my first child was born

i congratulate those whose response to parenthood was to get into shape because lol the exact opposite happened to me

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nature documentaries are great for kids imo

i got a lot of mileage out of the Life series, narrated by attenborough. my first kid watched the first episode when she was like 3 or 4, in which a group of kodomo dragons kill a water buffalo. as they showed footage of komodo dragons feasting upon its bloody carcass, my daughter got this glow in her eyes and turned to me to tell me what was apparently the moral of the story

"look daddy, the kodomo dragons killed the buffalo by working together as a team!"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

1 week of binge watching number blocks taught my younger kids more math than the entire school year put together

but now i find myself pining for square one and its awesome 999 song

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

do we really not have a herman cain smilie yet?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

remember mathnet?

i wish i could rewatch those. i loved mathnet, but i can't remember it well at all

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

just now my 4 year old excitedly ran up to me and handed to me what appeared to be a small twig

"oh, what's this?" i asked her as i twirled it between my fingers

"it was in my butt"

:ohno:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my employer offers a FSA and always brags about how awesome the benefit is during our yearly benefits fair, but ive never bothered with any of that poo poo because they don't pay me enough for me to be able to afford diverting any portion of my paycheck lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my first kid would not sleep for more than 2 hours at a time until she was like 16 months old, and we lived in a small 1 bedroom apartment so you couldn't escape the crying

everything after that has been smooth sailing by comparison tbh, even after adding 2 more kids to the mix

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Help my kids are getting into anime

is it good anime

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

very important to teach kids the relationship between policing and dog whistles

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

but you cannot wipe the boogers/snot off their nose ever

when my oldest was 6 months old, she refused to let us give her tylenol through the syringe. she'd be screaming bloody murder because she's tired and feverish, but when we brought that syringe close to her lips, it was like a switch flipped. she instantly stopped crying, shut her mouth, pushed her lower lip as far up as she could to block the syringe. and she'd just stare at us, as if to say "your move now bitch"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

I had a student who liked Sid the Science Kid. Sid's mom looks wall eyed and it's really freaky. I don't like the dance sequences.

I can proudly announce that my three year old not only has a favorite simpson's episode (Lisa's First Word), but he's able to quote from it. I am so happy..

my kids always laugh their asses off when they watch bart flush homer's wallet and keys down the toilet, and that makes me a bit nervous ngl

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

AxGrap posted:

Baby is in the hospital with RSV and still breastfeeding so my wife has to stay there with her while I stay at home with the three year old. This stinks. New kid is pretty miserable and there isn't anything we can do about it except suck her nose every couple hours. Not worried about her dying or long term effects or anything but the hospital support is the best option for the baby. Feeling pretty helpless.

god that sucks. i hope things get better for your family soon :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i never really bothered with cereals for kids because feeding your kid bland and flavorless poo poo feels like such a waste to me. i just let my kids gnaw/suck on a portion of whatever it was we were eating and never had any issues. it's also pretty fun to see what flavors infants and toddlers latch onto, because in my experience they're not as picky as older kids. when my first kid was 1 she absolutely adored pickled ginger and scarfed that poo poo down anytime we had some on hand.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i never had to worry about forgetting my kids in the car because they're very loud

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

kiddo, why did you throw two full sippy cups at me and give the more sign?

easy answer, throwing cups at you is fun :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

*checks op* wait he's only autobanned? lol